Author Topic: Malone furious at Kobe  (Read 656 times)

Smooth

Malone furious at Kobe
« on: December 07, 2004, 06:31:03 PM »
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Karl Malone has ruled out a return to the Los Angeles Lakers because of comments made by Kobe Bryant in a radio interview, Malone's agent said Tuesday.

"Karl is furious," agent Dwight Manley said. "He felt very disrespected and betrayed after personally being the first to stand up for Kobe over the last year throughout his rape charge and all he went through."

Manley said remarks made by Bryant on Monday, coupled with what the agent called "recent personal attacks made in private," led Malone to his decision.

Asked if Malone might play elsewhere, Manley replied: "This certainly opens up that possibility."

Bryant told XTRA on Monday he didn't believe Malone, who is recovering from knee surgery, would come back to the Lakers, calling it "just intuition."

"It's not really fair to hold it over the guys' heads that are here," Bryant said. "The guys that we have here are working hard, practicing hard every day. It's kind of tough for them to be looking over their shoulder, wondering if he's going to come back and then everybody is going to disappear.

"They are here giving me 110 percent. It's really not fair for us to sit around and speculate how long this is going to go on. I mean, you can't sit up here and speculate for the remainder of the season whether or not he is going to come back. I mean, that's not fair to the guys that are working here."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement he hoped Manley's comments did not accurately reflect Malone's feelings about returning to the Lakers.

"If so, it is unfortunate that he would make such a decision based on the reason given," the statement added. "Kobe Bryant's interview ... merely reflected his personal opinion that Karl would probably not return to play this season. Kobe did not at any time state that Karl was not returning, nor was Kobe speaking on behalf of the Lakers management or organization."

Malone, 41, told the Lakers on Oct. 1 he was still recovering from arthroscopic surgery he underwent three months earlier on his right knee and wasn't ready to play. But he didn't rule out returning at some point this season or beyond.

Malone, the second-leading scorer in NBA history, opted out of his $1.65 million contract following last season, making him a free agent.

After playing 18 seasons for the Utah Jazz, Malone joined the Lakers before last season in search of his first championship. He took a pay cut of about $18 million to sign for $1.5 million.

"Karl sacrificed financially to come to L.A., he sacrificed personally," Manley said. "He put his name and reputation on the line, put his arm around Kobe and said he was a good kid, tried to be his friend, told people to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"And now, basically, to get stabbed in the back, that's how he feels. This has ended any possibility of Karl returning to the Lakers in any capacity."

Malone and Bryant live about six blocks apart in Newport Beach.

Manley said his client is fully recovered from knee surgery and 100 percent physically.

"Karl will have something to say, probably in the next month or so, about his future," Manley said. "It will likely be after the first of the year. I'm personally crossing my fingers that he decides to play."

Several teams, including San Antonio, Minnesota and Miami, expressed interest in Malone during the offseason.

While with the Lakers, Malone was one of the few players who was close with both Bryant and O'Neal. Bryant signed a $136.4 million contract last summer to remain with the Lakers while O'Neal was traded to Miami.

Malone played in 1,434 of a possible 1,444 regular-season games with the Jazz, but missed 40 games with the Lakers -- 39 after tearing a knee ligament Dec. 21 against Phoenix.

He returned in March and played a key role as the Lakers reached the NBA Finals before losing to the Detroit Pistons in five games.

LOL yo NIK I thought you said Malone was coming back?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 06:42:58 PM by Smooth »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Re: Malone furious at Kobe
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 06:50:58 PM »
Malone in a T-Wolves uniform  :o...i mean, the irony of it all.

Malone was the SOLE reason why Lakers beat T-Wolves. T-wolves had no one who could cover Malone.  Man I was pissed watching all those drive into the key and then pass it out to a wide open Malone who would drain his jump shots  >:(
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 06:53:45 PM »
Associated Press
"They are here giving me 110 percent. It's really not fair for us to sit around and speculate how long this is going to go on. I mean, you can't sit up here and speculate for the remainder of the season whether or not he is going to come back. I mean, that's not fair to the guys that are working here."

giving him 110 percent?  hes just another star player not the fucking Coach, GM or Owner

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:39:38 PM »
Kobe definitely has an ego problem
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 02:03:29 AM »
LOL, wtf? He was just saying that he doesn't personally believe Karl would return to the Lakers and that people shouldn't keep holding it over Kobe's supporting cast, and yes, that's what they are, Kobe's supporting cast...There's no ego problems, it's just reality...People hate way too damn much, and this seems like another case of the press blowing shit out of proportion...As for me saying Malone would return, I didn't pull that out my ass; all my news is legit and that was from the LA Times...Kobe was obviously not tryna' stir shit up, but rather give his prospective and opinion on the situation...Anyone who doesn't see that is a moron...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 02:04:48 AM »
PS...This article doesn't indicate that Malone's furious at Kobe, it indicates that Malone's AGENT is furious at Kobe...

PLANT

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 03:35:18 AM »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 05:58:57 AM »
Why Kobe is an asshole #23
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

KeithBogans

• Lil Geezy
  • I win!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 06:35:39 AM »
Kobe needs to shut his stupid mouth and play ball.  He don't have clue 1 what being a leader is all about.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »
PS...This article doesn't indicate that Malone's furious at Kobe, it indicates that Malone's AGENT is furious at Kobe...

"Karl is furious," agent Dwight Manley said.
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Smooth

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 12:39:35 PM »

"Karl is furious," agent Dwight Manley said.

Yep. it's Karl's agent saying Karl is furious..
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 02:12:23 PM »
LOL, wtf? He was just saying that he doesn't personally believe Karl would return to the Lakers and that people shouldn't keep holding it over Kobe's supporting cast, and yes, that's what they are, Kobe's supporting cast...There's no ego problems, it's just reality...People hate way too damn much, and this seems like another case of the press blowing shit out of proportion...As for me saying Malone would return, I didn't pull that out my ass; all my news is legit and that was from the LA Times...Kobe was obviously not tryna' stir shit up, but rather give his prospective and opinion on the situation...Anyone who doesn't see that is a moron...PeACe

L.A Times blows.   Malone himself has stated that it is obvious that Kobe doesnt want him on the team.  Buss should tell Kobe to shut the fuck up, its fucking up the organization.  Once the class gets back with the Lakers ill be a fan again

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »

L.A Times blows.   Malone himself has stated that it is obvious that Kobe doesnt want him on the team.  Buss should tell Kobe to shut the fuck up, its fucking up the organization.  Once the class gets back with the Lakers ill be a fan again

You say LA Times blows, but they're accurate...Malone WAS planning on rejoining the Lakers, until he started bitching about Kobe's comments 2 days ago...Kobe shouldn't shut the fuck up, he just gave his opinion, damn...You fucking idiots are bitching more then  Malone & his agent combined...

acbaylove

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 05:16:18 PM »
Why you all are so quick to judge? The real reason of the problem is in this quote

Manley said remarks made by Bryant on Monday, coupled with what the agent called "recent personal attacks made in private," led Malone to his decision.

Obviously Byant didnt say something so negative to make a superstar like Malone feel hurted. If you read it word by word, Byant said nothing wrong. But Manley added that underlined thing which is the key! RECENT PERSONAL ATTACKS MADE IN PRIVATE. That's it. Malone is furious at Bryant because of other things, not because of that interview. And we dont know them things. So we cant judge on them.

Anyway it's a sad thing for me, i still want Malone to be a Laker again.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 06:03:23 PM »
That doesn't seem like the main reason Malone was angry...Malone's agent kept mentioning how the interview was disrespectful and that the interview is what made Karl change his mind...In reality, he just wants a ring and he doesn't think he can get one with the Lakers... :-\