Author Topic: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?  (Read 1168 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?
« on: December 20, 2004, 01:11:08 AM »
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~kai/foreignaid.html

Surprisingly the U.S. is actually the least generous developed nation in the world.  We give around .1% of national GNP away each year in foreign aid, the least of any developed nation.  The U.N. decided that about .7% of GNP is a fair target.

We (americans) often brag about how much we do for the rest of the world, and while we may do the most, we do it with the least effort.  I can't really say whether this is a good or bad thing, but I point it out only because many Americans have this impression that we are by far the best country in the world in every way conceivable.  I'm proud of my country, but in business its important to know what your competition is doing and to benchmark yourself against them.  If you blindly assume your company is superior you may one day find yourself surpassed by someone else.  This is my main problem with modern day conservatives, and strong american nationalists. They go on and on about how people who criticize America hate America, while thats simply not the truth.  Progress requires open eyes, and constant self criticism.  I bet 100% of all Americans on this board thought we were the most generous nation in the world.  It turns out we're not, and if we all continue to block out criticism we might just learn the hard way how many other assumptions we held were wrong. 

As always, feel free to share your thoughts. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 07:18:08 AM by Ant »

Thirteen

Re: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 05:26:08 AM »
don't judge people by their country  :P

No. 1 givers Bill and Melinda Gates, the world's largest international donors, who made history this year by giving their estimated $3 billion Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - News) dividend to their foundation. It's one of the largest donations in history by a living donor. To put it into perspective, that one gift is three times bigger than the amount that America's richest family, the descendants of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - News) founder Sam Walton, has given during their entire lifetimes

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/charityguide04.html

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 05:59:28 AM »
I'm not talking about individual donations, I'm talking about foreign aid provided by the government.  The world's supposed moral authority, the U.S. Government, is the least generous government in the developed world. 

Thirteen

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 06:07:11 AM »
once again, governments were formed to protect the people that live within their borders, not shell out money to other people. so first, your argument has no merit

secondly the US is made up of individuals, and those individuals give alot, probably making us the most generous nation

so there goes the answer to the thread's title

Probably

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:01:56 AM »
goverments are not just for protection they have evolved from that and with the millions of deaths america has caused over the last half century, maybe they shpuld have a bit of more of a social conscience and give to those who who never harmed anyone rath invest so much money into destroying things.

the aid agency Oxfam says in a report.
In real terms, the aid budgets of rich countries are half what they were in 1960, the charity claims.

Oxfam also says that that poor countries are paying back $100m a day in debt repayments.

"As rich countries get richer, they're giving less and less. This is a scandal that must stop," Oxfam director Barbara Stocking said.

If the present trends continue, the agency warns that 45 million more children will die needlessly in the next 10 years.
Oxfam says rich countries such as the US, Germany and Japan have broken a pledge made in 1970 to make available 0.7% of their gross national incomes in aid.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 09:03:09 AM by Don Rizzle »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »
Well technically America doesnt have to give shit to anyone, so they should be glad that were giving something.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 12:35:04 PM »
Well technically America doesnt have to give shit to anyone, so they should be glad that were giving something.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

mauzip

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 02:27:40 PM »

Absolutely. 3rd World countries don't need money; they need an industrial revolution.

Thirteen

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »
I'm not talking about individual donations, I'm talking about foreign aid provided by the government.  The world's supposed moral authority, the U.S. Government, is the least generous government in the developed world. 

one last thing, if i was some kid in an african dryland, smothered in flies, i could give a fuck less if the money giving me a shot, shower and a sandwich is from the american government or bill gates... no body has to give any money at all, so even a dollar is helpful

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 06:43:42 PM »
If you read the title of my post "Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?" you will understand that this post was not about generosity, but about misconceptions.  Most people, myself included, probably felt that the U.S. was the most generous nation when in fact it is the least generous developed nation in the world.   In fact in my post I said specifically:

"I can't really say whether this is a good or bad thing, but I point it out only because many Americans have this impression that we are by far the best country in the world in every way conceivable."

I'm not arguing that we should offer more AID to foreign countries.  I'm only pointing out that American's have common, arrogant misconceptions about their supposed global moral leadership. 

Thirteen

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 06:46:17 PM »
and how are americans the least generous when americans give the most money?

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 06:50:33 PM »
once again, governments were formed to protect the people that live within their borders, not shell out money to other people.

word

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 07:07:46 PM »
Heres what i dont get.

America started out as a poor nation, we had nothing, absolutely nothing. We progressed and became what we are today. What is stopping these other nations from doing the same.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 07:33:57 PM »
Well, if you look at Canada, we're under the rader so we're tryin to cut down our donating to the rest of the world..who cares if Canada doesn't give away its money anywayz 8)
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Jimmy Cash2120

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 07:50:49 PM »
Well, if you look at Canada, we're under the rader so we're tryin to cut down our donating to the rest of the world..who cares if Canada doesn't give away its money anywayz 8)

as long as you keep giving us that sweet canadian bud