Author Topic: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?  (Read 1166 times)

Thirteen

Re: Is the U.S. really the most generous nation?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2005, 01:26:01 PM »
ant i still see you're a moron.... you questioned if america was the most generous nation and we are..

once again, i bet a poor starving african doesn't care if his next sandwich comes from gary smith living in butt fuck iowa or from george bush

only an idiot like you would argue a point like that and you didn't even argue it good, you came up with one number, woodrow and i proved that was false and now you change your argument saying that we should give more than the 75% of the worlds donations...give it up, you lost

no moron you lost. enjoy your dead end job, its a sign of your stupidity. if you arent going to recognize reality i'm not going to bother discussing things with you politely. 

you can't discuss what you've already lost...you don't get that you're wrong and that you are stupid, that is THE reality and once again i'm living comfortable so youe weak ass attacks on me won't hurt...how does it feel to be a shallow spoon fed faggot that never made anything of himself and had to rely on daddy's money? word of advice, get off the computer and get yourself some ass....your arguing is growing stagnant

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »

no moron you lost. enjoy your dead end job, its a sign of your stupidity. if you arent going to recognize reality i'm not going to bother discussing things with you politely. 

Everything he said was true.

The only argument you can make is that the US government gives the smallest percentage of its annual GDP then any other developed nation. Which is a stupid argument becuase its the most money out of any country in the world combined.

Woodrow

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2005, 01:31:21 PM »
Surprisingly the U.S. is actually the least generous developed nation in the world.  We give around .1% of national GNP away each year in foreign aid, the least of any developed nation.  The U.N. decided that about .7% of GNP is a fair target.

We (americans) often brag about how much we do for the rest of the world, and while we may do the most, we do it with the least effort.  I can't really say whether this is a good or bad thing, but I point it out only because many Americans have this impression that we are by far the best country in the world in every way conceivable.  I'm proud of my country, but in business its important to know what your competition is doing and to benchmark yourself against them.  If you blindly assume your company is superior you may one day find yourself surpassed by someone else.  This is my main problem with modern day conservatives, and strong american nationalists. They go on and on about how people who criticize America hate America, while thats simply not the truth.  Progress requires open eyes, and constant self criticism.  I bet 100% of all Americans on this board thought we were the most generous nation in the world.  It turns out we're not, and if we all continue to block out criticism we might just learn the hard way how many other assumptions we held were wrong. 

As always, feel free to share your thoughts. 

Woodrow

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2005, 01:32:54 PM »
International giving by U.S. foundations totals $1.5 billion per year
Charitable giving by U.S. businesses now comes to at least $2.8 billion annually
American NGOs gave over $6.6 billion in grants, goods and volunteers.
Religious overseas ministries contribute $3.4 billion, including health care, literacy training, relief and development.
$1.3 billion by U.S. colleges are given in scholarships to foreign students
Personal remittances from the U.S. to developing countries came to $18 billion in 2000

Source: Dr. Carol Laderman - Aid and Comfort

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2005, 02:22:07 PM »
Bigger font doesn't make your argument stronger. 

Given that I referenced specifically government sponsored foreign aid, but you insist on talking about donations from U.S. citizens, I'll give you a litle extra information.

1.  Just as a reminder.  I clarfied in my second post I was specifically referencing U.S. government foreign aid, and the statistics I cited in my first post referenced U.S. government aid, so that should have been clear.

2.  Coincidentally a column in today's NY Times addressed your argument:

In 2003, the latest year for which figures are available, we increased such assistance by one-fifth, for President Bush has actually been much better about helping poor countries than President Clinton was. But as a share of our economy, our contribution still left us ranked dead last among 22 top donor countries.

We gave 15 cents for every $100 of national income to poor countries. Denmark gave 84 cents, the Netherlands gave 80 cents, Belgium gave 60 cents, France gave 41 cents, and Greece gave 21 cents (that was the lowest share, beside our own).

It is sometimes said that Americans make up for low official aid with private charitable donations. Nope. By OECD calculations, private donations add 6 cents a day to the official U.S. figure - meaning that we still give only 21 cents a day per person.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 02:23:49 PM by Ant »

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2005, 02:35:51 PM »
^wow ny times

Woodrow

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »
Thats crazy! I didn't realize 2.2% (241 Billion) of our GDP was the least of any developed country?

http://www.aafrc.org/press_releases/trustreleases/americansgive.html

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »
Thats crazy! I didn't realize 2.2% (241 Billion) of our GDP was the least of any developed country?

http://www.aafrc.org/press_releases/trustreleases/americansgive.html

Are you retarded?  This whole post is about government sponsored foreign aid, and first you changed topics by citing citizen sponsored foreign aid, now your citing citizen sponsored charitable contributions in general.  That 241 billion you cited is made up of charitable contributions to organizations WITHIN the United States.  Why you think that applies to this argument is beyond me.  You are comparing apples to oranges. 

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2005, 03:16:06 PM »
^wow ny times

No actuallly that stastic is from the OECD, or Organization of Economic Co-Operation and Development.  Ad Hominem attacks don't disprove anything, all they prove is your an idiot. 

To learn more about the OECD go here:

http://www.oecd.org/home/

rafsta

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2005, 03:56:08 PM »
Ant i got respect for ya man, are you American ? if so the first living American i respect, u and dj quik...

Woodrow

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2005, 04:40:36 PM »
Are you retarded?  This whole post is about government sponsored foreign aid, and first you changed topics by citing citizen sponsored foreign aid, now your citing citizen sponsored charitable contributions in general.  That 241 billion you cited is made up of charitable contributions to organizations WITHIN the United States.  Why you think that applies to this argument is beyond me.  You are comparing apples to oranges. 

You are the biggest moron on this board. Hands down.

First you complain about the government spending TOO much money in other posts, now you're claiming they don't spend enough? Which is it? Why should the government give out aid when it's clear that our private citizens do a much better job at it?

Woodrow

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2005, 04:41:23 PM »

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2005, 04:45:40 PM »

You are the biggest moron on this board. Hands down.

First you complain about the government spending TOO much money in other posts, now you're claiming they don't spend enough? Which is it? Why should the government give out aid when it's clear that our private citizens do a much better job at it?

Again your making up arguments I've never made.  I said previously I could argue giving aid is a bad thing..  I was only pointing out a common misconception.  You were the one that prominently reposted my initial post in large font.   If you read it you would have seen I never complained that we don't give a lot and actually said the opposite.  In fact I was explicit that this post was primarily about pointing out misconceptions.  Now, I've caught you about three times in this post saying things that were not correct, of course your arrogance prevents you from admitting you could possibly be wrong.

Thirteen

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »
^ LMAO @ that pic...

Why is Tech listed twice? Cloning gone wrong?