Author Topic: Best and Worst list 2004  (Read 420 times)

Throwback

Best and Worst list 2004
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:07:54 AM »
Bring 'Em Out, Bring 'Em Out
THE TEN BEST MAJOR LABEL LP'S OF THE YEAR

1. Kanye West - "The College Dropout" – Roc-A-Fella / Def Jam
2. The Roots – "The Tipping Point" – Geffen
3. Ghostface – "The Pretty Toney Album" – Def Jam
4. Beastie Boys – "To The 5 Boroughs" – Capitol
5. Nas – "Streets Disciple" – Columbia
6. Cee-Lo – "Cee Lo Green Is The Soul Machine" – LaFace
7. Eminem – "Encore" - Shady
8. Ludacris – "Red Light District" – Def Jam
9. Mobb Deep – "Amerikaz Nightmare" - Jive
10. Twista – "Kamikaze" – Atlantic

Don't Believe The Hype.
THE TEN BEST INDY LABEL LP'S OF THE YEAR

1. Madvillain (MF Doom & Madlib) – "Madvillainy" – Stones Throw
2. Foreign Exchange (Phonte & Nicolay) – "Connected" – BBE
3. Royce 5'9 – "Death Is Certain" – Koch
4. De La Soul – "The Grind Date" – Sanctuary
5. Leak Bros (Cage + Tame One) – "Waterworld" – Eastern Conference
6. Murs & 9th Wonder – "Murs 3:16" – Definitive Jux
7. Masta Ace – "A Long Hot Summer" – BBE
8. MF Doom – "MM Food" - Rhymesayers
9. Jean Grae – "This Week" - Babygrande
10. J-Zone – "A Job Ain't Nuthin' But Work" – Old Maid Entertainment

Rock N Roll, Could Never Ever Hip-Hop Like This.
THE TEN BEST "HIP-HOP ALTERNATIVES" OF THE YEAR

1. RJD2 – "Since We Last Spoke" – Definitive Jux
2. Blockhead – "Music By Cavelight" – Ninja Tune / Big Dada
3. Handsome Boy Modeling School – "White People" – Atlantic
4. N.E.R.D. – "Fly Or Die" – Virgin
5. Plant Life – "The Return Of Jack Splash" – Counterflow
6. Jay-Z & Linkin Park – "Collision Course" – Warner Music
7. Diplo – "Florida" – Ninja Tune / Big Dada
8. Inhumanz – "Hell To Pay"
9. K-Os – "Joyfull Rebellion"
10. Saul Williams – "Saul Williams"

These Boots Are Made For Rockin'.
THE TEN BEST "UNOFFICIAL" RELEASES OF THE YEAR

1. DJ Danger Mouse – "The Grey Album"
2. Talib Kweli – "The Beautiful Mixtape"
3. Little Brother – "The Chitlin Circuit"
4. Apathy – "Where's Your Album"
5. M.O.P. – "Marxmen Cinema"
6. The Game, DJ Vlad, NJ Devil – "Devil's Advocate"
7. Kev Brown – "The Brown Album"
8. Alchemist – "Insomnia: 1st Infantry Mixtape Vol. 2"
9. Elzhi – "Witness My Growth"
10. Consequence – "Take 'Em To The Cleaners"

And A Bitch Ain't One.
THE TEN BEST MAJOR LABEL SINGLES OF THE YEAR

1. Jay-Z – "99 Problems" – Def Jam
2. Snoop Dogg – "Drop It Like It's Hot" – Geffen
3. Kanye West – "Jesus Walks" – Roc-A-Fella
4. Nas / Olu Dara – "Bridging The Gap" - Columbia
5. Eminem – "Toy Soldiers"/"Mosh" (tie) – Shady Records
6. Fabolous – "Breathe" - Atlantic
7. Twista – "Overnight Celebrity" / "Slow Jamz" (tie) - Atlantic
8. Jadakiss – "Why" - Interscope
9. Dilated Peoples – "This Way" – Capitol
10. Mobb Deep – "Got It Twisted" - Jive

B-Side Wins Again.
THE TEN BEST INDY LABEL SINGLES OF THE YEAR

1. Talib Kweli – "Lonely People" – Blacksmith
2. Red Spyda feat. The Game & Eazy-E – "Still Cruisin'" – AV8
3. Royce 5'9 – "Hip-Hop" - Koch
4. Alchemist – "Hold U Down" – Alc Records
5. De La Soul – "Shopping Bags" - Sanctuary
6. Pete Rock & CL Smooth – "Appreciate" - BBE
7. Masta Ace – "Good Ol' Love" - BBE
8. Madvillain – "All Caps"
9. Thes-One – "Noonen" – Tres Records
10. Perceptionists (Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, DJ Fakts-One) – "Memorial Day" – Definitive Jux

The Streets' Disciples.
THE TEN BEST MAINSTREAM MC'S OF THE YEAR

1. Nas ("Thief's Theme, "Serious," "These Are Our Heroes') - Nas' evolution from Nasty, Nas, Nas ta Escobar to Nasir Jones climaxed with his double-disc opus Streets Disciple,where his social activist flame never burned brighter ("Nazareth Savage," "These Are Our Heroes" and "A Message To The Feds"). It thankfully even carried over to his guest spots on the remix to Jadakiss' "Why" and his appearance with Prodigy, "Tick Tock" on Alchemist's 1st Infantry. Despite ongoing arguments whether or not the production on the double LP matched his lyricial prowess, the abundance of substance found on Streets Disciple (though we continue to ask why Nas' collabo with AZ, "Serious" was nixed) validates that Nas is the premier lyricist in the game today---bar none!

2. Eminem ("Mosh," "Toy Soldiers," "Yellow Brick Road", "Mockingbird") - Lumped in-between the prepubescent rants and recycled concepts that made Encore thematically unsound laid three of Eminem's most personal odes ever written. "Evil Deeds" was a great start to an otherwise average LP, as Em bounced all over the track with insane cadence, while "Yellow Brick Road" retraces the route he took from his childhood on the stoops of Detroit, to his belabored dispute/"race tape" controversy with Source Magazine. Likewise, "Toy Soldiers" showed a different side as well, as the usually confrontational Em decided to be the bigger man by extending truce talk sentiments to Ja-Rule and Benzino, simply because he does not want a "coffin left on his conscience". Meanwhile, he painfully described the falling out of his marriage to his daughters in lullaby form on "Mockingbird", while still finding time to ressurrect the humorous "Slim Shady" character on tracks like "Rain Man". Em even got political in 2004, as his anti-Bush ode "Mosh" was the theme song Michael Moore wishes he could have penned---and Democrats wish he would have released two weeks earlier.

3. Ghostface- ("Run," "Be This Way," "Holla") - When you think of Ghostface, you think of all his multi-flavored slang and "banana nutriment" flow. However, it's really his old soul, which is conveyed through his music, not only by his wisdom and old-school references, but the beats he selects that makes him so refreshing. Ghost's Theodore Unit side project offered more Ghostdeni edibles, as previously nixed cuts from the Pretty Toney LP finally surfaced and offered a less commercialized slant then what was found on his Def Jam debut.

4. Jadakiss- ("Run," "Why," "N.I.G.G.A.Z.") - Thanks to his scene stealing guest appearances and his street movement with the recently reinvented The Lox (now referred to as D-Block), Jadakiss is widely regarded as one of hip-hop's top emcees. In 2004, Jadakiss continued to challenge Ludacris and incumbent Fat Joe as the most sought after guest collaborator, as he chalked up an incredible string of 16 Bar appearances (Ghostface's "Run," Ja Rule's "New York"). And if there was an anticipated release, there was a good chance Jada "mwww" Kiss was there to bless it (Mobb Deep, Tupac, Usher, Alchemist, etc.). While Jada has been a known entity for many years, 2004 was the year mainstream audiences finally paid attention. "Why" became a mainstream anthem and "U Make Me Wanna" f/Mariah Carey finally helped him achieve the cross-over success that had long eluded him.

5. Ludacris - ("Stomp," "Number One Spot," "Child Of The Night") - In an industry that readily condones cloning, Ludacris is a rare-breed; I.E. a trend-setter and that's just one of the reasons that Luda remains one of the most sought after emcees in the game. With one of the nastiest flows on either side of the Mason Dixon line, Luda is a complete emcee and his animated personality further punctuates his witty punchlines. Likewise, he effortlessly flips rhyme structures that would tongue tie most emcees and just ask T.I. about his battling skills. Luda's evolution was punctuated by "Child Of The Night" were his maturation was evident.

6. Talib Kweli - ("Around My Way," "Lonely People," "I Try") - When Jay-Z gave Talib Kweli props on The Black Album it finally gave those who were previously scurred enough courage to admit that Talib was one of hip-hop's most-unappreciated lyricists. Problem is, though he made strides two-years ago with the Kanye West produced breakout hit "Get By" which made a mark on commercial radio even though it was consciously tinged. But skills alone don't sell and Kweli is a testament to that. Because of this, Kweli tried to further his commercial ties in 2004 and even though he may not want to carry the conscious flag, "I Try," "Around My Way, "Black Girl Pain" and the mixtape only "Lonely People" prove that's his comfort zone. But an emcee as talented as Kweli deserves to be heard, so it's hard to knock his commercial hustle.

7. Black Thought - ("Don't Say Nuthin," "Web," "Boom") - Constantly overshadowed by ?uestlove's musicality and "his band," Black Thought is the machine that powers The Roots. The Tipping Point gave Thought the opportunity to maneuver with the LP's more minimalist sound and he took every advantage of it, humming the best garbled chorus of the year on "Don't Say Nuthin" and doing deadpan impersonations of Big Daddy Kane and Kool G. Rap on "Boom." If there ever was a Roots LP that spotlighted the MC above the music itself, The Tipping Point was it.

8. Twista – ("Overnight Celebrity", "Slow Jamz") – After ten years of paying dues, Chi-town's premier lyricist, Twista, joins the local spotlight next to Common and Kanye West. Twista was thrust into the mainstream this year thanks to dual K. West produced singles, which for the first time made him a household name. What makes Twista one of the best emcees is simple – his undeniable enunciation. Coupled with the fact that his rhymes are delivered three times faster than everyone else's, every word is spoken with incredible clarity and razor sharp precision.

9. The Game - ( "Still Cruisin", "200 Bars & Runnin") – Here's a Compton rookie that is destined to follow the same type of early debut success in January '05, that 50 and Kanye saw at the beginnings of both 2003 and 2004, respectively. The Game currently holds the "most anticipated artist debut" card for '05, thanks to his many blazing mixtape freestyles, each ripe with punch-rhymes and obscure hip-hop industry references. "Backstage at a D-12 concert, a fan asked me how it feel to be walkin' in Snoop's Converse". Game should have an answer to that question this year, as he hopes to ressurect the west on his Aftermath debut, The Documentary.

10. Jay-Z – ("Stop", "Big Chips", "The Return") How does one fall ten spots from 2003 to 2004? By not releasing an album, that's how. However most emcees who take the year the off (or "retire") don't even make the list at all, Jiggaman somehow managed to insert himself into the collective minds of hip-hop's consciousness with several side projects (not to mention Black Album remixes) that kept his rhymin' on time throughout 2004. As he hinted on this year's Unfinished Business LP with R. Kelly, "Ya'll nervous, I ain't back yet / I'm on extended vacay / I ain't unpack yet".

Leaders of the True School
THE TEN BEST UNDERGROUND MC'S OF THE YEAR

1. MF Doom - ("Rock Co.Kane Flow," "Accordion," "Con Carne") - With so many aliases and a slew of releases in 2004, it's evident that Doom's rhymebook is extra thick. But thanks to the masked avenger's monotone flow and poetic flair, Doom became Indy hip-hop's brightest star (MM Food, Viktor Vaughn & Madvillan). He capped the year off by ambushing the varying BPM's that Jake One implements on De La's "Rock Co.Kane Flow." Mm good.

2. Royce 5'9 - ("Regardless", "I Promise", "Something Wrong With Him") - "I feel like Nas before he dropped "Ether." So said the frustrated emcee, with his back against the wall, ostracized because of his falling out with Eminem and beef with D-12. But Royce came out swinging in 2004 with one of the years darkest LP's Death Is Certain. And while some will forever classify him as a "mad rapper," you can't discount his talent---or his heart. After all, where else are you going to hear an emcee cop a plea and apologize to fans for his attempts to gain commercial acceptance, which he fessed up to on "Regardless"---"I played myself for radio play/I never dance/but the skill itself is a second chance." In the words of Pac, that was "the realest shit he ever wrote."

3. Masta Ace - ("Good Ol' Love," "Beautiful," "Soda & Soap") - Masta Ace's A Long Hot Summer was hip-hop's version of George Lucas' The Phantom Menace, as it served as a prequel to his last conceptual endeavor 2001's Disposable Arts. While Ace has been "dope ever since ya'll" he used the loose framework of the LP's concept to passionately comment on a variety of topics. Included were love ("Bklyn Masala"), black-on-black crime ("Do It Man" f/Big Noyd) and how we ignore the exquisiteness of everyday ("it's a young mother braiding her daughters' hair") life on the hauntingly melodic "Beautiful".

4. Jean Grae- ("Black Girl Pain", "Don't Rush Me", A-Alikes) - Ms. Grae is easily the most versatile Femcee the world has seen since the departure (mentally or physically) of Lauryn Hill. Jean dropped This Week to critical acclaim, not to mention got the blessing of ?uestlove on both The Tipping Point & Okay Player's True Notes Vol. One. People can still argue over production, but none can match her colorful and dramatic lyricism. In a seven day span, she documented the ups and down of a human being like no other. As she confesses on "A-Alikes": "I've mastered it, fucked rhyme, killed its father, bastardized it/masquerade it, I rolled a drive by and patronized it", one could literally see all the emcees across the world wince at her towering talent. And for those who haven't gotten a taste of the bootlegged team up with 9th Wonder - brace yourselves - the impact is going to be back breaking.

5. Apathy – ("It Takes A Seven Nation Army To Hold Us Back", "Personal Jesus") -Like Jean Grae, Apathy is another artist bubbling underground, just waiting to make his leap into the mainstream. Currently holding an Atlantic Records contract (and rumored to be releasing one more indy record in '05), Apathy showed us that even though he was quiet this year, his mixtape release, Where's Your Album showed he still remains one of hip-hop most lethal undiscovered talents. Included here with the two rock-DJ favorites, where Ap destroys tracks from both The White Stripes ("It Takes A Seven Nation Army To Hold Us Back") and Depeche Mode ("Personal Jesus"), ripe for club-play.

6. Murs – ("The Pain", "And This Is For", "Trevor and Them") – While the Living Legends crew rolls deep, at times its hard for its members to carve individual identities for themselves. Not so with Murs, who broke the mold by signing to Definitive Jux and releasing End Of The Beginning in '03. Murs followed up in '04 with the surprise hit of the year, Murs 3:16, together with god's stepson himself, 9th Wonder. Murs plays like the millennial Ice Cube, with his rich, detailed, and attitude-filled descriptions of every California life, yet instead from the perspective of the average dude. Murs also raised many eyebrows with his brutally honest and extremely on point race-rhyme "And This Is For", despite anyone it may have offended.

7. Leak Brothers (Cage &Tame One) ("G.O.D.", "Follow The Liters") – Both Cage and Tame-One have made names for themselves with both solo and within group efforts (Smut Peddlers, Artifacts). But 2004 showed perhaps the most versatility for the duo, ironically through recording an album based around one topic. Leak Bros Waterworld may have been pegged "one-dimensional" by some, however closer inspection reveals the LP as one big trip, described with beautiful detail by both Tame and Cage equally. With solo efforts due from both artists in 2005, the two show no signs of losing skill or popularity.

8. Phonte of Little Brother/Foriegn Exchange ("Raw Life", "Take It There", "Happiness") - At one time, Little Brother was primarily known for their production (9th wonder), but now Phonte has stepped his lyrical game up to balance out the group. So much in fact that he is deserving of inclusion on this list. The North Carolina emcee has managed to create an album of hip-hop soulfulness with producer Nicolay (Connected) and showcased a diverse artist through and through. Whether it be getting introspective about life ("Brave New World"), tearing emcees a new A-hole ("Take It There") or simply setting the mood to groove the night away ("Nic's Groove"), Phonte has proven that 9th Wonder isn't the only person in the group that the spotlight should be shined upon. Now lets hear that Big Pooh album.

9. Illogic- ("Off The Clock", "Stand", "Second Trimester") - The greatest lyricist nobody has ever heard of? Illogic once again quietly leveled the indy scene with his unforgiving wordplay and ridiculous talent. Celestial Clockwork cemented his status as a true emcee. He has become an emcee that can provide truly compelling lyrics on one hand and can flip a metaphor on its ear the very next verse. He's quite possibly the only emcee who is so vivid that he can be spoken in the same breath of-dare we say....Nas? From the spiritual battles within himself ("I Wish He Would Make Me") to his rambunctious mastering of witty wordplay ("The Only Constant"), Illogic quietly remain hip-hop's best kept secret.

10. Brother Ali- ("Cats, Vans, Bags", "Love On Display","Chain Link") - Yeah, it hasn't been a very vocal year for Brother Ali in terms of volume of music, but he sure has done a lot with the little he put out. His Champion EP easily subsided the carnivorous appetites of those who salivated after Shadows On The Sun was released. He manipulated mics with endless subject matter. In just under 40 minutes he gave you a battle tested emcee ("Bad Ma Fucka") who is conscious of the struggles of humanity ("Chain Link"), but has no problem being a lover ("Heads Down (You Haven't Done That Yet"). Pretty impressive especially given the fact that 80% of the emcees nowadays couldn't do that in just under 5 albums.

West Up.
THE TEN BEST MAINSTREAM PRODUCERS OF THE YEAR

1. Kanye West - ("Jesus Walks," "Spaceship," "Through The Wire") - Undeniably, 2004 was the year of Kanye West. Trying to sift thru Kanye's smorgasbord of hits to pick his three best beats became an unenviable task, as he was just that fresh this year. Let's not forget: Twista's "Overnight Celebrity", Shyne's "More Or Less", Mos Def's "Sunshine", Slum Village's "Selfish", Mobb Deep's "Throw Ya Hands" (In The Air), Kweli's "I Try" and "Lonely People", Jadakiss' "Getting' It", Cam'Ron's "Down And Out," Dilated Peoples "This Way", not to mention the tracks were not mentioning from his debut, The College Dropout, that are just as worthy as well. In fact, there's nothing else we need to say, as Mr. West's resume speaks for itself.

2. Lil Jon - ("Yeah," "Lets Go," "Lean Back Remix") - "Whhaaatttt"? Lil Jon included on HipHopSite's "Best Of" for 2004? Though we previously refused to be charmed, we finally warmed up to the crunkness this year. Like Kanye, Jon's resume was equally as thick, as the go-to-guy for club beats. Jon gave his blessing to each Mobb Deep ("Real Gangstas"), Usher ("Yeah" aka "the biggest song of the year"), Petey Pablo ("Freak-A-Leak"), Terror Squad ("Lean Back Remix"), Bravehearts ("Quick To Back Down"), D12 "40 oz", Youngbloodz ("Damn"), Trick Daddy ("Let's Go"), Ciara ("Goodies"), and even Kanye West himself ("Workout Plan Remix"), before topping it all off with his year end LP, Crunk Juice. While Lil Jon is not trying to change the world, can we all ease up and admit that his beats would even make your grandma dance in church on Sunday morning? If you've ever been in a club when one of his joints abounds out of the speakers, its obvious Lil Jon spreads plenty of cheer around in 2004.

3. Alchemist - ("When U Hear The," "Got It Twisted," "Hold U Down") - While Alchemist ventured off this year and released his own debut, 1st Infantry, he certainly did not bogart all of his best beats for it. But "Hold You Down," "Boost The Crime Rate" and "Tick Tock" may lead you to believe he did. Our boy Al still saved his best "dunn" creations for his Mobb Deep brethren, as he contributed the ultra-sinister "When U Hear The" and turned Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Silence" into Havoc and Prodigy's redemption song "Got It Twisted." Sans, Kanye, Alchemist had the most consistent year of any producer in 2004. His beats were heard loud and clear on both coasts with Saigon's "Yes," Dilated Peoples' "Marathon," Jadakiss' "Still Feel Me" and he even made Snoop sound soulful again on "I Love To Give You Light."

4. Scott Storch - ("Lean Back," "Don't Say Nuthin', "Neva Take Me Alive") - While ?uestlove continues his search for the perfect beat, he did not even produce the Tipping Point's lead single. That credit goes to former Dr. Dre collaborator and original Roots crew member, Scott Storch, for the spacey "Don't Say Nothin." Though Storch finally broke out in a major way in 04 thanks to the anthemic "Lean Back" and Jadakiss' "U Make Me Wanna", Storch also contributed under the radar jams like Young Gunz "Neva Take Me Alive" featuring Jay-Z. Thankfully, were spared of further collaborations with Lil Kim now that their power couple flame has been extinguished.

5. Dr. Dre - ("Mosh", "Never Enough", "Rich Girl") - Though he was more quiet then usual, the good doctor still made plenty of house calls, and even in a slow year, he's still at the top of any class. Still, Dre's students got the best, as each Eminem, Gwen Stefani, and various members of G-Unit were blessed with prescriptions from the doc. And in '05 he looks primed to head back into the upper-echelon as he puts the finishing touches on Game's The Documentary and projects from 50 Cent ("Disco Inferno" is already building momentum), Eve, and Busta Rhymes.

6. ?uestlove – (The Tipping Point) – While ?uesto is not a fashionable producer like many of the other names on this list, it's his brain from which The Roots extend. The Tipping Point may have also included production from Scott Storch on it's lead single, but was held together nicely thanks to the ever consistent and continuously evolving sound of the funky drummer heard throughout.

7. Salaam Remi - ("Thief's Theme," "Bridging The Gap," "Virgo") - After cutting his teeth working with the Fugees, Salaam Remi became Nas' right hand on God's Son and should be partly attributed to Nas' return to his roots and social activist musings. Their pact was furthered in 2004 with Nas' double-disc opus Streets Disciple, as Salaam co-piloted (along with L.E.S., Buckwild and Chucky Thompson) many of the LP's highlights; including "Thief's Theme," Nazareth Savage," the conceptually brilliant "Bridging The Gap" and the old-school throwback "Virgo."

8. Eminem - ("Toy Soldiers," "Mockingbird," "Don't U Trust Me") - While most of Em's outside productions sound like something you'd find on his own LP's, his plodding beats, pop sensibilities and rock influenced production were defined by his deft jacking of Martika ("Toy Soldiers") and Heart's "Crazy On You" ("Crazy In Love"). Did we mention he also was commissioned to produce an entire 2Pac LP? Repetitive maybe, still dope, YES!

9. Red Spyda - ("Still Cruisin", "Welcome To The South," "Kiss Of Death") - Like Diamond D of old, Red Spyda is the best kept secret in hip-hop, as he appears on a slew of high-profile LP's (G-Unit, Lloyd Banks, D-12, Snoop, Mobb Deep, Jadakiss, Young Buck) and always seems to deliver. Just as he ressurected Big and Pac alongside 50 Cent in 2003, perhaps his greatest creation for '04 was "Still Cruisin", which featured The Game riding shotgun with Eazy-E. With only a handful of producers qualifying as "Go To" producers, Spyda is in the next school of beatsmiths who should be looked upon to make that list.

10. Neptunes- ("She Wants To Move", "Broken Glass", "Drop Like Its Hot") - The slide had to happen eventually and even though they had a strong end (Snoop), 2004 was the year that Pharrell and Chad dropped a few chart positions. Most of this was due to their more rock based N.E.R.D. sophomore LP, Fly Or Die, plus their dissatisfaction with how the LP was marketed, as well as some label hiccups in general. Yet, most producers would take what for The Neptunes was a "down" year!

HONORABLE MENTION: Just Blaze - The only reason Blaze didn't make the top ten was because he chose quality over quantity (which isn't a bad thing), only producing a few beats here and there. However, despite this fact, he still produced easily one of the best tracks of 2004, Fabolous' reinvention, "Breathe", which he definitely should be recognized for.

Get U Mad.
THE TEN BEST UNDERGROUND PRODUCERS OF THE YEAR

1. Madlib- ("Shopping Bags", Madvillainy LP) - Like the Jay-Z of beats, no one works as hard or generates a more eclectic mix of projects then Madlib. In 2004, Lib showed and proved with MF Doom on the HipHopSite @@@@@ classic Madvillany, an unearthed Lootpack LP that brought us back to hip-hop's golden age, continued cranking out vibe out Jazz projects under the Yesterday's New Quintet moniker, and even produced De La's lead-single, "Shopping Bags". 2005 is already promising for Madlib, as he is rumored to be working with Talib Kweli and Busta Rhymes.

2. 9th Wonder - ("Walk Like A Man," "I See Now", "Shake") - In 2004, 9th Wonder dominated the indy landscape just as he did last year, as virtually every project seemed to have his name attached to it. Seemingly nothing could stop his buzz (including two tracks on Destiny Child's LP, not to mention an entire Murs LP). But now that Little Brother's signed a major label deal, 9th and his Fruity Loops are competing with the big boys in 2005—but don't think that has 9th worried!!

3. Nicolay - ("Raw Life," "Lets Move," "Happiness") -  Nicolay cut his teeth producing a few cuts that appeared on Little Brother and Justus League mixtapes, as well as working with underground artists like Supastition. But in 2004, he exploded onto the scene via his transcontinental collaboration with Little Brother's Phonte---Foreign Exchange. While he offers a very melodious and soulful sound (the carousel-esque "Lets Move") he also has displays a tremendous diversity (those who claim his beats are soft have not heard "Raw Life") and the potential to even crossover his plush instrumentals into the R&B genre. As the gentleman quips at the conclusion of "Lets Move" Nicolay is "definitely for the children" as he offers hope for future producers.

4. Carlos Broady ("Regardless," "Everybody Goes," "Something's Wrong With Him") - Known as one of the architects behind Capone N Noreaga's rise (The War Report) and a short-stint as one of P.Diddy's original "Hitmen," Carlos "Six July" Broady came out of hiding in 2004. Lacing Royce 5'9 with many of the dark canvasses that marked Death Is Certain, such as the western scented "Gangsta" and even expanding his repertoire by implementing a live band to further punctuate the menacing "Something's Wrong With Him". This is another producer who needs to be more active.

5. Dave West - ("The Future", "The Grind Date", "It's Like That") - Supa Dave West is one of those producers who always seems to be bubbling slightly below the radar, as he will pop up sporadically (Masta Killa, Planet Asia, etc.). But Dave really jumped to the forefront this year on De La's The Grind Date, as he handled a good chunk of the production and was given more shine than on the previous two De La efforts. While his sterling work with De La promises to make him a more recognizable name, we'd really like to hear more from him!

6. DJ Danger Mouse - (The Grey Album, Prince Po LP) – DJ Danger Mouse went from a virtual unknown to cover boy status on the strength of his Jay-Z/Beatles Black Album + White Album mash-ups. While his remixes were brilliantly commingled, Danger Mouse also used the ensuing controversy with the Beatles catalog owners and there cease and desist orders to his benefit, which gave the project even more legs. Sometimes it's better to be lucky and good, Danger proved that in 2004. Look for his Danger Doom project with the Metal Faced villain in '05, as well as heavy production work on the next Gorillaz LP.

7. Pete Rock- ("Appreciate," "Head Rush," "Voices") - While 2004 was not a quintessential Pete Rock year; he still managed to churn out a few bangers. Props are due for flaunting a more aggressive style of production on "Head Rush" f/GZA & RZA and the haunting "Voices" for ED. O. G. But what we'll remember most about Pete in 2004 is reconnecting (to only disconnect a few months later) with his "Main Ingredient" C.L. Smooth for the ultra smooth "Love Thing" and the crucial "Appreciate" where Pete implements a celebratory and very addictive vocal hook.

8. DJ Premier - ("Stay Real," "Evening News," "Hip-Hop") - Again, not a typical "Primo" year, but when he was good (Pitch Black's "Stay Real" Cee-Lo's "Evening News" and Royce 5'9's "Hip-Hop") he was very good!

9. J-Zone - ("Oops," "Baldylocks," "It's Going Down") -Zone remains one of Indy hip-hop's most consistent producers and he proved it once again with his latest LP, A Job Ain't Nuthin' But Work. Despite having a signature sound, he tones down his usually animated production and tailor made beats that perfectly fit with his wide range of guest collaborators (Devin The Dude, Prince Po etc). They must have liked what they heard, as each Prince Po, Leak Bros, and Odd Couple (Louis Logic & Jay Love) all tapped him for outside production in '04.

10. Necro – (All Psychological releases) – Despite the fact that Necro has decided to produce almost exclusively "in-house", he definitely had a marathon year in '04, producing LP's for each solo member of Non-Phixion (Ill Bill, Gortex, Sabac Red), Mr. Hyde, not to mention himself with The Pre-Fix For Death. His dark, rugged production brings back the grimey sound of the 90's, and his crew's rhymes animate it just as well. With another five LP's due over the next year, Necro's definitely been putting in work overtime.

HONORABLE MENTION: RJD2 & Blockhead – While these two Def Jux offspring are usually known for their ambidexterity as both instrumentalist producers and traditional hip-hop beat-makers, this year they both focused on their own solo musical outings. Despite not classified as "hip-hop" (which is why neither were included on this list), both instrumental based albums (Since We Last Spoke and Music By Cavelight) were two of the best LP's of the year, both revered by hip-hop fans and others across the board.

Preemptive Hype
ROOKIES OF THE YEAR

1. The Game
2. Nicolay (of Foriegn Exchange)
3. Red Spyda
4. DJ Danger Mouse
5. Scram Jones
6. Kev Brown
7. K-Os
8. Hangar 18
9. Plant Life
10. Supastition

Rhyme The Rhyme Well
20 GREAT VERSES (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1. Most Personal Verse: Royce 5'9 "Something Wrong With Him"
2. Best Rant: Cee-Lo – "Die Trying"
3. Best Political Rhyme – Rakaa-Iriscience "Big Business"
4. Best Race Rhyme – Murs – "And This Is For…"
5. Best Battle Rap – Apathy "Personal Jesus"
6. Best Spirtual Verse – Kanye West – "Jesus Walks"
7. Best Dis – Nas – "These Are Our Heroes"
8. Best Indirect Dis – 50 Cent "Warrior Pt. 2"
9. Best Dedication – Talib Kweli – "Black Girl Pain"
10. Best Autobiographical Rhyme - Eminem "Yellow Brick Road"
11. Best Double Time Rhyme - Twista "Overnight Celebrity"
12. Best Gangsta Rap - Game "Westside Story"
13. Best Narrative - Illogic "Second Trimester"
14. Must Humorous Rhyme - Ludacris "Number One Spot"
15. Best Club Rhyme - Trick Daddy f/Twista & Lil Jon "Lets Go"
16. Lyrical Acrobatics - MF Doom "Rock Co.Kane Flow"
17. Best Conscious Rhyme - J.Ivy "Never Let Me Down"
18. Best Display of Raw Skill - Jadakiss "Run"
19. Best Conceptual Rhyme - Eminem "Toy Soldiers"
20. The Cappadonna Winter Warz Award: - Game "200 Bars and Runnin'"

Welcome Back.
THE 5 BEST COMEBACKS OF THE YEAR

1. Royce 5'9 - Death Is Certain - Royce 5'9's saga is a rags to riches to rags story that has more plot twists and cliffhangers then any motion picture. And through a turbulent roller-coaster ride of personal trials and label changes Royce proved with Death Is Certain that he is a true survivor. While Royce's battle with Eminem and D-12 was truly a bad meets evil scenario, their falling out did more then just catch headlines and fuel forum debates, it deprived fans of the chance to hear Slim and Royce rekindle their undeniable chemistry. Though Royce caught an "L" as he was pushed out of Slim's circle, the battle did refocus Royce. He's been on the grind ever since, releasing what seems to be a new batch of material every 5-6 months, as he attempts to reclaim his throne. Royce's sophomore LP, Death Is Certain, was a dark and brutally honest LP, one that re-solidified Royce as an artist and also showed remorse for past mistakes. Where else are you going to hear an emcee apologize to fans for his attempts to gain commercial acceptance, as he lamented on "Regardless"---"I played myself for radio play/I never dance/but the skill itself is a second chance." Now, the only question remaining is what major label will give Royce another shot?

2. Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare - Mobb Deep really needed an LP that reinstalled some faith and we got it not a moment to soon with the dunned out Amerikaz Nightmare. While Prodigy still seems a bit "shook" after his battle with Jay-Z, Havoc continues to handle his production duties admirably and even stepped it up lyrically for his partner. Extra reinforcements on Amerikaz Nightmare were brought in from Kanye, Alchemist and Lil Jon and there sterling contributions proved that Jive's Britney & Timberlake money was well-spent.

3. Beastie Boys - To The 5 Boroughs - Less experimental then anything they've released in a decade, the retro breakbeats and zany pop culture references attached to To The Boroughs saw the Boys come full-circle, reverting back to their License To Ill roots. "Triple Trouble," "Time To Build" and the uber fresh lead-single "Ch-Check It Out," made the Beastie Boys To The 5 Boroughs sound as if it was shot back to earth from a late 80's time-capsule. At a time when most of our icons are being phased out, or drifting away from their core-sound, the Beasties are re-embracing it (sans the fat rope chains and beer guzzling excess of their youth). We feel bad calling this a comeback, but damn, it has been six-years since Hello Nasty.

4. Slum Village - Detroit Deli: A Taste Of Detroit - Slum Village could not survive another defection could they? Well, with Jay Dee and Baatin out of the fold and now down to two members T3 and the supremely underrated Elzhi, SV trudged on and delivered a dope LP at a time when most counted them out. Thanks to a new production duo (Young RJ & Black Milk) that ably filled Dilla's shoes, Kanye's "Selfish" and Elhzi who gave SV the lyricism it previously lacked.

5. De La Soul - The Grind Date - De La has yet to experience a major meltdown and they continued to be the model of consistency with their last few A.O.I. installments. But The Grind Date is a special LP that proved time has not passed the trio by and it had to feel even extra special on the heels of their release from Tommy Boy. Ayo, can anyone deny that Pos and Dave are spitting extra hard here?

Cold Lampin' With Flava.
THE 5 BEST USES OF HIP-HOP IN POPULAR CULTURE

1. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
2. The Dave Chappelle Show
3. Snoop Dogg in the big screen "Starsky & Hutch" remake
4. Flava Flav on VH1's The Surreal Life
5. HBO's The Wire

Bamboozled.
THE 5 WORST USES OF HIP-HOP IN POPULAR CULTURE

1. Fox's Method & Red
2. Soul Plane
3. All "Rap-Related" Energy Drinks
4. The Source Awards
5. Xzibit as Right Guard spokesman

Wha' Happen
THE 5 MOST DISAPPOINTING ALBUMS OF THE YEAR

1. Mos Def - The New Danger - When was the last time you heard a "major" major label artist include two freestyles over already popular used beats on a proper LP? One of which, "The Rape Over", has now been excluded from future pressings because of its "quasi homosexual" reference and alleged Jew bashing lyrics? Well, that's what we got from Mos Def on his highly-anticipated sophomore LP The New Danger. Granted, Mos is supremely talented and asking him to live up to his debut, Black On Both Sides, would have been expecting too much. But The New Danger was like a mixture of two projects, with his rock yearnings sounding as if they were culled from the vaults of his aborted Black Jack Johnson side project, with a little too much Andre 3000 influence. Though there were still some stand out moments (the Kanye West produced "Sunshine" is coconuts and carries the essence of Brooklyn like incense in a Buddhist temple, "Sex, Love & Money" and the Marvin Gaye tribute "Modern Marvel") they were all too fleeting, as the Mighty Mos seemed to contract a severe case of Hollywooditis in 2004!!

2. Shyne - Godfather Buried Alive - After handing out a hefty signing bonus to secure the still incarcerated Shyne and a major PR campaign which included an interview with 60 Minutes, a Vibe cover, and a recorded 50 Cent diss from jail, it sounded like he could do no wrong. But Shyne's sophomore LP, Godfather Buried Alive, ended up being a colossal mess, with see-thru collaborations (Ashanti on "Jimmy Choo") and major producers who seemed to be just chasing a check. The end result, Def Jam pulled the plug on the promotions for the LP a few months in because of declining sales and interest in the project. However, like Nas said on "Purple" we still "don't like the way Diddy did Shyne with different lawyers."

3. Method Man - Tical 0- The Prequel - While Method Man was out securing movie roles, failed sitcoms and talk show co-hosting duties, the food-chain at Def Jam underwent a dramatic shift; one that no longer found Meth being the priority he once was. And because of that he choose to play Tical 0 very close to the vest, forgoing the grimy style we embraced for a more commercially palatable script that effectively bricked. The worse part, word is Meth recorded virtually an entire LP with RZA and Def Jam cut the tracks from the final version. Don't be another prequel.

4. Jin - The Rest Is History - Stop me if you've heard this before? Upstart freestyling emcee catches everyone's ears, signs lucrative record deal and drops a dud for a debut? Sound familiar? Well, it should, as virtually every freestyling demon (minus Em) that has came down the pipe has come and gone without leaving the anticipated impression. Worse, Jin did not necessarily shy away from the "tough guy" image his label thrust upon him after he was involved in a Chinatown shooting, but followed it up with a Palmolive soft lead-single in "Senorita". Not to mention breezing through every Chinese stereotype known to man on the Wyclef produced "Learn Chinese" (can you say another publicity stunt), he rarely exhibited the lyrical gymnastics that got him a deal. Yes, the rest truly is history.

5. Dead Prez - R.B.G. - By the time Columbia initially pulled the plug on the original incarnation of R.B.G., it was at a point where the LP was receiving rave reviews (4 and half mics by The Source) and Dead Prez were receiving extensive coverage from mainstream media outlets. After dropping not so subtle hints that their being dropped was in large part due to "the man" and the system Columbia wanted them boxed into, six months or so later, Dead Prez re-signed with Columbia (say what?) and officially released R.B.G. Sounds like a true break-up to make-up story right? There were a few glitches in the matrix though for Dead Prez, as by the time they got around to releasing it, the LP had already been massively downloaded and in an attempt to make some changes and freshen it up for consumers. DP tweaked most of the beats to their own detriment, making it sound like a completely different LP (not to mention the Kanye West track found on the original version was nowhere to be found).

Cheesy Rat Blues
FALLING DOWN.

1. Mase - Although he did holdout for five-years, you knew it was only a matter of time before Mase reappeared; and his comeback vehicle, Welcome Back, seemed to materialize almost as abruptly as his exit to the pulpit. While a few constants still remained; Mase can still pen a catchy tune ("Breathe, Stretch, Shake" f/ P.Diddy, "Welcome Back," "Harlem Lullaby"). The pop samples Mase' new production squad implements are just as polished now as they were back when Diddy and his "Hitman" were in there heyday, but Mase' descent had more to do with his own actions than the music he put out in 2004. Mase' comeback was thwarted by his Hot 97 meltdown with Jim Jones, Cam'Ron and the Dipset (who called him out for a lack of integrity and for being a hypocrite) and the resulting lack of credibility that generated with fans. Yet, perhaps Mase' biggest deterrent was Mase himself, as he hammed it up ad neaseum at every award show, even going so far as to interrupt other artists interviews, flaunted his supposed wealth at every opportunity (that's such a Christian thing to do). He also was involved in the "youth outreach" controversy at Howard University (where the married pastor allegedly gave a young co-ed his cell number so he could "counsel her") and his "ungodly" behavior even made one of his staunchest advocates (Kanye West) rip him in the press. But perhaps Mase summed it up his feelings best on "Gotta Survive"--- "I don't regret nothing that I've ever done/at this point I don't owe anyone an explanation." We think most hip-hop fans would disagree...

2. Erick Sermon - Erick Sermon's stock continues to drop each year and with each successive brick he calls an LP. Perhaps, the most telling aspect of his descent is that you see his name popping up less and less each year on the production credits of LP's and each solo-LP he releases just happens to be on a different label each time. Were guessing that another EPMD reunion project is probably sounding very good to the Green Eyed Bandit right about now?

3. Dame Dash - The Roc maybe still in the building, but Dame is not, as he sold those rights to Jay-Z and he can no longer use it as his calling card. While Dame's paper was still long in 04, he took a beating in the press fighting off continual inquiries into his deteriorating relationship with Jay-Z, an ecstasy bust backstage at one of R.Kelly's shows (Viagra included) and his young son was arrested for bringing the "sticky icky" to school. That said, Dame is off to start a new label and will probably take Joe Buddens, and Samantha Ronson with him where he goes, but he's going to have to do it without Jay's name as a lifesaver.

4. LL Cool J - You have to give props where props are due, and LL certainly deserves that much for DEFinition, as it is his thirteenth commercial release. This is a huge accomplishment for an artist in the here today, gone tomorrow world of hip-hop. You also have to give him props for making this list for the second time. But tributes and accomplishments are all LL is basking in these days, as with a successful movie career and his own clothing line in the works, there just does not seem to be enough time in his schedule to actually record an LP worth listening to - that unless you are a 40 year old woman. Aside from the anthemic, Timbaland produced "Headsprung," it sounds as if LL is merely doing his best Bubba Sparxxx impersonation over the rest of Timbaland's bouncy contributions. Hey LL, do as all a favor, either stick to the silver screen, or give Rick Rubin a call, because as Kanye West says "we don't wanna hear that weak shit no more."

5. Xzibit - Before the release of Weapons Of Mass Destruction, Xzibit made a plea for emcees to take it back to hip-hop's golden age and to stop catering their music for radio and TV play. Ironic, considering Xzibit does just that on WMD. He unfortunately also makes his living hosting MTV's "Pimp My Ride", can be seen doing Right Guard commercials, and has failed to live up to expectations with two successive LP's. if you can't win being backed by Dre, can you win at all? Though his MTV hosting gig should help him move a few more units, if that does not work, it maybe Xzibit's career that needs to be pimped next.

Ig'nant
THE STUPID MOTHERFUCKER AWARDS.

1. R. Kelly: While technically not a "rapper", we'll include R. Kelly here since he made the year's biggest faux pas. Talk about second chances, this dude has had too many. After nearly destroying his career a few years back with statutory rape charges, Def Jam swept his Best Of Both Worlds Jay-Z collaborative album under the rug. But after a marathon two-year stint of releasing several albums and several hit singles, Kelly looked like was on an unstoppable comeback trail. With this in mind, he and Jigga decided to ressurrect Best Of Both Worlds and to "do it right" the second time around, with a new album and a new tour. Too bad Kelly's ego couldn't handle the pressure of not "being the biggest dude in the room", causing him to run off stage during the duo's Madison Square Garden performance, and claim that he was being threatened at gun-point by audience members. Looks like he better get to penning "You Saved Me (Again)".

2. Tony Yayo: Two weeks after being released from prison on weapons charges, Tony Yayo was arrested again for attempting to leave the country with a forged passport. The only logical explanation here is that G-Unit Clothing Co. got stuck with a shitload of "Free Yayo" t-shirts after his release and this was the only amicable solution.

3. DMX: Darcman X apparently felt that he was such a great rapper/actor that he thought he could deliver an Oscar worthy performance as a tough, take-no-shit FBI agent that plays by his own rules. Accept DMX wasn't on a soundstage, nor were the cameras rolling when he decided to do this. In fact, he wasn't even in Hollywood at the time. Yes, the method actor actually impersonated an FBI agent in New York City when trying to exit an airport in a stolen car with a bag full of crack cocaine. He was arrested for criminal impersonation and drug possession.

4. Jadakiss: Jadakiss apparently loves the 4th of July so much that he decided to celebrate on the 5th as well, by throwing firecrackers out of his SUV window. He was asked to stop by an off-duty cop, but when he continued to do it anyway, he was pulled over and searched. What did the cop find? A magical cache of drugs and weapons, both much more illegal than the firecrackers he was tossing out the window.

5. Shaq: Is this Alice In Wonderland? For some unknown reason, Shaq foolishly challenged Skillz to a battle with a mixtape freestyle dis. Of course Skillz took the ball and ran with it (no pun intended), by releasing a full mix CD of hilarious disses and freestyles at Shaq's expense. Coupled with the fact the CD was released right around the same time as The Lakers lost the NBA Championship, Shaq never looked worse. Oh wait, there's always Kazaam.

Hoes and Tricks.
THE TOP 5 BITCH MOVES OF THE YEAR.

1. R. Kelly Destroys "Best Of Both Worlds" Tour, Career: Just as mentioned above, R. Kelly disappointed the fiesta of happy people who attended Madison Square garden performance with Jay-Z, by stepping in the name of love right off stage. He then made claims that Jay-Z's bodyguard pepper sprayed him, audience members pointed guns at him, and then turned around and hit Jigga with a lawsuit for ruining the tour. Maybe he'll start returning Baby's phone calls now about that "Best Of Both Worlds 3" album.

2. EMI Accidentally Makes DJ Danger Mouse A Star: Here was an opportunity to capitalize off of Jay-Z's Black Album remixing for both EMI and Def Jam. But instead of getting together the necessary paperwork, EMI decided to take the pants-too-tight-route of sending a cease and desist threat letters deading the project completely. This completely backfired, resulting in MTV coverage which made DJ Danger Mouse a household name. This even resparked interest in The Beatles White Album, which again could have meant twice as many sales for the 40 year old classic if The Grey Album was released legally. Think this couldn't have happened legally? Here's some food for thought – DJ Danger Mouse has recently been tapped to remix a John Lennon song. Yes, John Lennon of The Beatles.

3. Magical Sourcery: This year's Beef 2 DVD release was a straight to video release that documented the history of several high profile beefs between rap artists. Among these covered on the DVD were "Eminem Vs. Benzino", which painted an all too true picture of Benzino's questionable involvement at the failing magazine. However while this segment was included on promo copies of the DVD, it magically disappeared from the final version. Why? Because Image Entertainment – the company that distributes Beef 2, as well as The Source's Benzino peppered Hip-Hop Hits compilation series – was "convinced" to have it removed. Do the math.

4. "Just Lose It" Video Pulled For Making Fun of Michael Jackson, Not For Sucking: Sure "Just Lose It" was as bubblegum as they come, but what became an unbelievable turn of events lands this bullshit skirmish right on this list. After Slim Shady parodied Michael Jackson in the video for "Just Lose It" (like nobody has dissed Michael Jackson before) numerous people went up in arms. From Jacko's feelings getting hurt, to Steve Harvey demanding to "revoke Eminem's ghetto pass", down to BET removing the video from its rotation and getting full support from The Source - who in turn continued their ongoing crusade by demanding the song be removed from the album. What a crock, especially considering that on BET Monday thru Friday at 10 PM, you can watch the comedians of Comic View take potshots at Jackson with no remorse.

5. Dr. Dre Vs. Vibe Awards Audience; Suge Chills In Back of Room: As Dr. Dre was accepting his lifetime achievement award at the Vibe Awards last month, a "fan" socked him in the face, which resulted in a huge chair throwing melee of violence. While nobody knows the true motive of the attack, reports say Suge was sitting in the back of the room completely relaxed. At least Young Buck got his stab-on.

DISHONORABLE MENTION: Murder Inc Signs Some Guy Named Lloyd: Coincidence or bitch move? Just in time for G-Unit's first solo offshoot, Lloyd Banks Hunger For More, Murder Inc delivered the debut of their new emaciated R&B vocalist, Lloyd. Lloyd, who really should put a fucking shirt on, had no relation to Lloyd Banks, but surely caused confusion among youngsters, just like Ultramagnetic MC's and UMC's.

Suckas Wearing Make-Up
GAYEST RAP LYRICS OF 2004

With all of these rappers walking around tattooed and shirtless, it was only a matter of time before their secret homo-erotic fantasies were revealed in their lyrics – and you don't even have to play them backwards (or from behind) to hear them! Peep the rampant homosexuality amiss in today's hardest (no pun intended) gangster raps. (All jokes aside, we don't really think these rappers are gay... however G-Unit has three entries this year, despite the fact the content of some these rhymes suggests the love for only two).

1. "Yeah faggot, if I want it I'm gonna have it / Regardless if it's handed to me, or I gotta grab it" - 50 Cent on P. Diddy's "Victory 2004"
2. "Ayo lord did you peep that? / That nigga pussy, that's why I'm gonna eat that" – Ghostface on "Kunta Fly Shit"*
3. "Tell ya click we might swell ya shit" – Rasco on Cali Agents "Raw Rap"
4. "I ain't from Michigan, but I'm part of the Fab Five" – Lloyd Banks on "Work Magic"
5. "You might want to pick your weight up / and pick your 8 up / before you get your ass ate up" – M.O.P. on Marxmen Cinema 2CD
6. "I guess I'm bi-coastal now, it took a down south brother to bring your boy out" – Fat Joe on Terror Squad's "Lean Back Remix"
7. "Where you from, who the boss, let me break him off" – Young Buck on "Stomp"
8. "I might have to take my shirt off"; "Yeah son, go in, go in!!" – Jadakiss & Ghostface on "Run"

*(It should be noted that Ghost even says "Ayo" in the quote – Editor)

What Jay Said To Nas
BEEF: 2004'S BATTLES FOR RAP SUPREMACY

We pick the winners in this year's top ten rap fueds... Congrats to G-Unit for being the most beef worthy crew of the year. And we didn't mean "beef worthy" in a gay way.

1. Jay-Z Vs. R. Kelly – Winner: Jay-Z
2. Shaq Vs. Skillz – Winner: Skillz
3. T.I. Vs. Ludacris – Winner: Ludacris
4. T.I. Vs. Lil Flip – Winner: T.I.
5. Eminem Vs. The Source – Winner: Eminem
6. Littles / Mobb Deep – Winner: Draw
7. Game Vs. Joe Budden – Winner: Game
8. Game Vs. Yukmouth – Winner: Game
9. Shyne Vs. 50 Cent – Winner: 50 Cent
10. Mase Vs. Dipset – Winner: Dipset

R.I.P.
DEATHS IN 2004

While not all hip-hop artists, all truly unfortunate....

O.D.B.
Rick James
Mac Dre
Ray Charles
DJ Spinz ,
Christophe,, , , r Reeves
Rodney Dangerfield

Watch Out Now.
60 HIGHLY ANTICIPATED RELEASES FOR 2005 (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1. Dr. Dre – "Detox"
2. The Game – "The Documentary"
3. 50 Cent – "St. Valentines Day Massacre"
4. Common – "B.E."
5. 9th Wonder – "The Dream Merchant"
6. MF Doom & DJ Danger Mouse – "Danger Doom"
7. Royce 5'9 & Nottz – "Untitled"
8. Cage – "Hell's Winter"
9. Jean Grae & 9th Wonder – "Jeanius"
10. Immortal Technique – "Revolutionary Vol. 3"
11. Edan – "Beauty And The Beat"
12. Supastition – "Chain Letters"
13. Tragedy – "Still Reporting II"
14. Big Noyd – "Still Grinding"
15. The Doors Remix Project
16. Saigon – "The Greatest Story Never Told"
17. The Perceptionists – "Black Dialogue"
18. Aesop Rock – "Fast Cars, Fire, & Knives"
19. Sage Francis - "A Healthy Distrust"
20. Beanie Sigel – "The B. Coming"
21. Big Pooh – "Sleepers"
22. Fat Joe – "Things Of That Nature"
23. Tame One – "O.G. Bobby Johnson"
24. Vast Aire & DJ Mighty Mi – "The Best Damn Rap Show"
25. Guru – "Guru 7.0"
26. Styles P – "Time Is Money"
27. Miri Ben-Ari – "The Hip-Hop Violinist"
26. Notorious B.I.G. – "Duets"
27. Q-Tip – "Move"
28. Black Eyed Peas – "Monkey Business"
29. Redman - Red Gone Wild
30. AZ – "Final Call"
31. O.C. – "The Professional"
32. Tha Liks – "Firewater"
33. K.M.D. – "Mental Illness"
34. Joe Buddens – "The Growth"
35. Clipse – "Hell Hath No Fury"
36. O.D.B. – Roc-A-Fella Debut
37. M.O.P. – "Ghetto Warfare"
38. Little Brother - "The Minstrel Show"
39. Buckshot & 9th Wonder – "Chemistry"
40. Smif N Wesson Presents: Smif N Wesson
41. The Chapter – "Us Vs. Them"
42. Splash – "The Ripple Effect"
43. S.A. Smash – "Smash Burger"
44. G.M. Grimm – "American Hunger"
45. Lil Sci & MF Doom – "The John Robinson Project"
46. Eve "Untitled Aftermath LP"
47. Apathy – "Eastern Philosophy"
48. Stat Quo – "Untitled Shady Records LP"
49. DJ Green Lantern – "Untitled Shady Records LP"
50. L.E.G.A.C.Y. – "Project Mayhem"
51. El-P – "Untitled Def Jux LP"
52. Copywrite – "Cruise Control Vol. One"
53. Busta Rhymes – "Untitled Aftermath LP"
54. Metal Fingers – "Special Herbs 9 & 10"
55. Maroons – "Untitled Quannum LP"
56. The Away Team – "The Competition"
57. DJ Z-Trip – "Untitled Hollywood Records LP"
58. JUICE – "All Bets Off"
59. Pete Rock – "Surviving Elements"
60. Del – "The 11th Hour"
http://www.hiphopsite.com/NEWS/bestandworst.hhs

mauzip

Re: Best and Worst list 2004
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 06:09:47 AM »
i decided to stop skimming through this whole list after i saw eminem listed as the 2nd best mainstream mc

Πψšοε

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 06:13:48 AM »
i decided to stop skimming through this whole list after i saw eminem listed as the 2nd best mainstream mc

lol yeah same here. way to long to read that when they give eminem top 10.

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:52:24 AM »
props, i read all of it.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 12:32:57 PM »
hiphopsite are a bunch of eminem dickriders. they designed his site. i dont take anything seriously that they say about eminem related topics. lol @ the game beating joe budden, what a joke.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:37:32 PM »
Very wack list. I don't even feel like explaining what makes it bad, cuz it's already obvious.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »
props man, injoyed reading some of it.. Im really happy they put Madlib at #1 for production ;D aswell as Madvilliany for #1 ug lp ;D

DEUCEHTX

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:16:56 PM »
How in the hell did Encore make their top 10

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 09:10:55 PM »
that list is garbage

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 11:27:22 AM »
half of it is bullshit, and yet i enjoyed reading it  8)

bez

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »
Dope.

Thanks playa!

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »

D-ReK

• Lil Geezy
  • Holla Trick
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 12:13:19 PM »
it was straight, i read it all
holla trick

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 04:31:27 PM »
howd a cd they rated as 3 or 3/12 mics get on the best labums of 2004 on their list..........they been on ems dick fo more than a few mins

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 03:33:54 PM »
hiphopsite are a bunch of eminem dickriders. they designed his site.

That's not why they jock him.  It's cause he's white.  Those guys love white rappers.

As for the list.  If you take out all that MF Doom nonsense it's not that bad.  Madvillainy was the worst album I heard in 2004 and how any hip-hop fan can put that above A Long Hot Summer is beyond me.