Author Topic: New Ras Kass Interview  (Read 115 times)

Mr. Humonculous

New Ras Kass Interview
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »
Ras Kass: Back From The Beast
By Matt Barone

If respect equaled record sales, then California-bred Ras Kass would be pushing Eminem numbers. While both industry elite and purist listeners have consistently hailed him as one of rap’s top talents, SoundScan has been throwing Ras Kass the cold shoulder since the release of his 1996 introduction, Soul On Ice.

Despite his public discord with his label (Priority Records) causing release delays and lacks in promotion, Ras Kass kept his devoted fans salivating by announcing plans to release albums with his super-groups Golden State Warriors (including Xzibit and Saafir) and the 4 Horsemen (including Canibus, Kurupt, and Killah Priest).

Unfortunately, those projects were put on hold as the LAPD apprehended him in May of 2003 after months of his dodging three DUI convictions, placing Ras Kass behind bars and away from the vocal booth for nearly two years.

Genuine skill is something that can’t be held back by metal bars and prison guards, though, as listeners kept Ras’ name relevant through unearthing bootlegs of his lost Van Gogh and Golden Chyld albums, and spreading word of his self-issued Re-Up mixtapes.

Now fresh out of the clink after successfully completing his 19-month prison bid, Ras Kass is prepared to raise the game’s lyrical bar even higher than he did on past songwriting masterpieces such as “Nature of the Threat” and “Interview with a Vampire.” As heavily hyped newcomer The Game prepares to reignite the flames of West Coast Rap, the time is perfect for lyrical arsonist Ras Kass to reemerge.

As grounded and intelligent as he was 19 months ago, Ras Kass now has his mind completely right, and, if hip-hop justice is served, his next up North trip will take place on Billboard charts and with levels of mainstream relevance.

In this exclusive interview, AllHipHop.com let Ras Kass’ faithful supporters in the Ill Community issue their own questions, creating an open forum that the MC was more than glad to take part in.

AllHipHop.com Ill Community: While you were locked up, did you face any problems from the other inmates because of you’re level of fame? [dmx_121]

Ras Kass: Nah man. My whole philosophy in life is to try and be a man about it. So, in any situation, all you can do is try to maintain and be a grown ass f***ing man. I was alright. I was blessed. I don’t think I faced any major problem because of who I am. Nine times out ten, you can avoid bulls**t; it’s the tenth time you got to be prepared for, and I was prepared for the tenth time, so it was all gangsta.

AllHipHop.com IC: What did you learn from the time you spent in jail? [fkdmr]

Ras Kass: I’m still fundamentally the same. Dude, I seen people go in and never come out. I’ve seen people die. I’ve seen people who had 51 years to life. I had a relatively short experience there. I almost did two years. I did 19 months. It’s just a waste of life. The main thing I learned is no matter how f***ed up it is in the streets, at least you have a fighting chance to change your life. In there you can’t do anything, and I think that’s the whole point. It’s like sensory deprivation. Basically, I didn’t touch anybody for two years. I’m not a f***ot, so that wasn’t gonna work. [Laughs] That’s a key thing. It’s scientifically proven, that if you feed a baby but don’t give it love and physical contact, the baby dies. That was new for me. I didn’t have just little s**t, dude. Just walking outside when you feel like it to go look at the sky. That type of stuff. It made me realize that I have a fighting chance, and all I have to do is make it up out of here. At least I can utilize the luxuries of real life, like telephones and all that, and try to change my life.

AllHipHop.com IC: What kind of songwriting did you get done during the past two years? [CAVEMAN]

Ras Kass: I got fire, dog. I’ve always been hungry and I’ve always tried to give 110%, but this time I had it with no distractions. It’s just raw and uncut. I ended up with about 100 songs, and that’s material that I’m comfortable with. I think its fire. I’m pretty critical of myself. If I don’t think it’s decent, I’ll tear the sh*t up. So, I got 100 songs that I’m believing in. N*ggas got a problem, as far as I’m concerned.

AllHipHop.com IC: Will you use your experience in jail as part of a marketing strategy for your next album? [popawilli]

Ras Kass: Not me. [Laughs] I don’t know. I did my time, and it’s whatever. For lack of a better word, it’s nothing. I’m moving on. Me, nah. I’m not going to do that.

AllHipHop.com IC: Besides family, who kept in touch with you over the last two years and showed real support? [Blawwcka]

Ras Kass: All my Re-Up family. My family and my homies. I got a gang of homies I grew up with and homegirls all kept it real with me. My fans, too, which was cool as f**k. I had cats writing me from Poland, so that was a blessing. I damn sure got to shout out Busta Rhymes, ‘cause he kept it real gangsta, but that’s family. Xzibit, Paul Rosenberg, and the whole Shady camp too. Cats showed me a lot of love. A lot of the time, the love you get in the industry is only based on whether you’re doing something or not, but they really showed me some genuine love. They just gave a f**k about me as a person, and that’s a blessing.

AllHipHop.com IC: Is there any truth to the rumors that you might sign with Aftermath? [PLO_Style]

Ras Kass: Anything is possible. I’ll just leave it at that.

AllHipHop.com IC: Did you keep up to date with the current Hip-Hop scene while you were away, and if so, what do you think of it? [PFUNKERA]

Ras Kass: I’m not really a big radio listening person, so I didn’t really do that. I tried to get the CDs, but the prison system is so slow, it’s like snail mail. I tried to keep as up to date as I could, but I wouldn’t give too much of an opinion. To be honest, not much as changed really, from what I hear. I’m interested what’s going to happen in the next 12 months, ‘cause I haven’t heard much a difference in the past 19.

AllHipHop.com IC: Are you going to try to pick better beats this time around, ‘cause the production on your albums has been lacking? [BlackThought36]

Ras Kass: Opinions are like a**holes. I can be perfectly honest with you, dog. That s**t was really dead when it started, that whole picking the beat s**t. My first album (1996’s Soul On Ice), just to give people some back history on me, Nas was the first person to really get five mics in The Source, for Illmatic. The Source heard “Nature of the Threat,” and like four or five other songs, and they were going to change their rating system for me, and this is all bulls**t to the side. I probably would have been the first motherf***er with six mics. But there was a drastic change, ‘cause at that time, I was still independent. I started negotiating these deals, and boom, 12 months later, I finally iron out all the s**t in this deal and I’m finally dropping this album. The production did kind of change drastically in those 12 months, ‘cause I kind of caught Hip-Hop in a transition point. Needless to say, Priority didn’t perform the way they were supposed to, and the record didn’t sell what it was supposed to. Aside form that, the first time hearing it, the industry had pretty much heard it. Then, I get the critiques. Because Wu-Tang came out and did the numbers with grimy production, they didn’t get criticized. [Laughs] You know?

On my second record (1998’s Rasassination), I had Dr. Dre tracks, and I had Jazze Pha on it, who is the man now down South. I was way ahead of my time on a couple of things. Like, I had Twista on that record. So, it’s funny to me that all the a**holes got these opinions on that. I can’t be mad at them, ‘cause they’re a**holes. I’m not saying it in a negative way, ‘cause I know that people are humans with opinions. I’m not here to live my life to please everybody, ‘cause I can’t. I’ve had very little sold to the world since my second album. Van Gogh was a good record, and Golden Chyld was strong f***ing record. I got the Premier records. I had fire on every angle. Even no name cats, I pick fire. I just think it’s ironic that the production topic would still come up. Maybe you’re not listening good enough to hear it. Listen to the s**t now before you keep telling me about 1996.

AllHipHop.com IC: What is the status of your label Re-Up? [young ozwald]

Ras Kass: Everything is good, man. I think a lot of sh*t was on hold until I touched down, so I think now we can really focus on Scipio and my homie 40 Glocc. I definitely want to have something that we can leave to our kids. Build something and pay ourselves, as opposed to always being at the mercy of some corporate motherf***er that doesn’t even listen to the music. I haven’t really sat down and strategized yet, but we are going to do that soon. I see big things, though, ‘cause I think Scipio is a star.

AllHipHop.com IC: What is the status with the Golden State and 4 Horsemen projects? [Perfect1]

Ras Kass: I left Kurupt’s house last night, actually, so that’s family and we’re going to put it together. It’s inevitable, and especially now. It took a minute, but I think the stars are aligned finally. We had did like 13 songs or so, and Killah Priest put out like ten of them as like a mixtape preview. That was cool, ‘cause it let the people hear it. So, we’re going to definitely knock that out. As far as Golden State, Xzibit is my brother, so that’s a given. Saafir doesn’t even rap anymore. Golden State exists, but it only exists as Ras Kass and Xzibit.

AllHipHop.com IC: Considering all of the obstacles that you’ve had to face since you first came out, what is it that keeps you motivated? [BlackX]

Ras Kass: A lot of things, man. I’m hungry, and that’s a big part of it. I know I got something to say. Technically, I’m a young dude. I’m not old yet, and I got a baby face too, so f**k it. [Laughs] I just grew up in the game, so I used to lie up about my age, but now I might start to lie down. [Laughs] There are still people who aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do. I’m like, “If this dude can win, then f**k that. I got to get mine, too!” I look at some cats and I know there is definitely a spot for me. Honestly, one of the biggest motivations is the love and support I get from the heads across the country and world. Be it industry love, and AllHipHop.com has always showed me a lot of love, and that’s big. It’s encouragement, when you feel like things aren’t going right. When I’m walking down the street, and real OG gangbanger stops me and is like, ‘N***a, you’re hard. You the best on the West.’ I love it, and that’s encouragement when I touch real n****s.

allhiphop.com

Westside Soldier

Re: New Ras Kass Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:55:13 PM »
Propz  8) 8) 8)