Author Topic: GOP suggests FDR to would support Bush on SS Reform?  (Read 119 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
GOP suggests FDR to would support Bush on SS Reform?
« on: January 13, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »
A republican activist group is airing a new commercial suggesting FDR would support the Bush form of SS reform.  Again, the got caught on their attempt to mistlead america, this time by FDR's own grandson:

It has come to my attention that your organization has begun running an advertising campaign to promote President George W. Bush's plan to privatize Social Security and cut benefits.  The advertisements that are currently being aired feature President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his signing of the original Social Security legislation.  I find the use of my grandfather's image and legacy in your campaign to be highly inappropriate.   

For seventy years, Social Security has been the bedrock of retirement security for millions of Americans thanks to the efforts of President Roosevelt.  My grandfather would surely oppose the ideas now being promoted by this administration and your organization.  Not only that,  but to compare the courage it took to provide a guaranteed insurance program for our seniors and the disabled to the courage it will take to dismantle the most successful social program in history is simply unconscionable.  We should be working to protect and promote Social Security, not cutting benefits for our seniors.

On behalf of my family, I would ask that you cease using my grandfather's image in your advertising campaign. 

Respectfully,

James Roosevelt Jr.

____

Strengthening SS is a good idea, pretending to do so while paying off wall street lobbyists and donors is a bad one as is continually attempting to mislead american citizens into believing an alternate reality.  FDR would not have supported privatizing SS and to suggest he would do so is another low in the republican war on reason and reality.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 01:45:04 PM by Ant »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: GOP suggests FDR to would support Bush on SS Reform?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:28:48 PM »
Tech suggests you are a tool

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/04/07/MN71746.DTL

What once was unthinkable -- partial privatization of the biggest, most popular and most successful program of 20th century American liberalism -- has gone mainstream.

Incorporating some form of personal retirement accounts in Social Security now leads the pack of reform proposals. Opponents, including the White House, have found themselves fighting a rear guard action.

There are two big reasons: overwhelming public support for private accounts and the blessing of Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a liberal New York Democrat with impeccable social policy credentials.

On March 16, Moynihan shifted the political ground by offering a major Social Security reform plan, co-sponsored by Bob Kerrey, D-Neb., that would allow workers to invest 2 percent of their 12.4 percent payroll tax in private accounts.

(Two percent of payroll taxes is the amount the government is now collecting above what it pays out in current benefits. The money ostensibly is going into a Social Security trust fund but is actually being spent on other programs.)

Moynihan warned that resistance to necessary changes in Social Security by various Washington ``veto groups'' will destroy the program. Radical reformers will outrun defenders, he warned, just as resistance to changes in welfare led to the abolition of Aid to Families with Dependent Children in 1996.

``It's the liberals who can destroy Social Security by preventing any change,'' Moynihan said.

Tech suggests you read a book
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
Don't talk on issues you don't understand, and by the way.... I suggest you get a job.

Down-Nola

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:14:35 PM »
Waffen SS?