1 (1.9%)
Kobe Bryant
27 (50.9%)
Vince Carter
4 (7.5%)
Dwayne Wade
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Out of all players compared to Jordan, which do you think is the closest?  (Read 3386 times)

Mietek23

LOOK AT THE MECHANICS

THERE WAS NOTHIN CONSISTENT ABOUT CARTER'S STROKE COMIN IN...HE SHOT 28% FROM THREE AND 76% FROM THE FREE THROW...KOBE SHOT 38% FROM THREE AND 82% FROM THE FREE THROW

fall back

Nik, don't forget that the 3-point line was shorter durning Kobe's rookie year so comparing those 3-point stats ain't fair to VC.

It's funny that you mentioned here, that Kobe wasen't prepared for the NBA body and maturity-wise (something I've been telling you some time ago), yet some time ago in other thread you were claiming Kobe could average 40 points/per game durning his first couple years, had he not played with Shaq :D

Hack Wilson - real

40 A GAME??  LMAO he never even did that as a seasoned vet

Sccit

consistency is one of the best measures to judge fundamentals. If you have good fundamentals, then you'd be consistent. If you don't have good fundamentals, then you will be streaky. And 18, 19, 20 year old Kobe was very streaky.

this is the dumbest shit ever posted on dubcc...u can have great fundamentals, but not be consistent. lets say u get old, and aren't in physical shape to run and move like u used to...ur fundamentals would still be the same, but consistency would diminish. same shit goes for if ur young and dont have an nba-ready body. man, mdogg, i think u just say shit to hear urself talk.

Sccit

LOOK AT THE MECHANICS

THERE WAS NOTHIN CONSISTENT ABOUT CARTER'S STROKE COMIN IN...HE SHOT 28% FROM THREE AND 76% FROM THE FREE THROW...KOBE SHOT 38% FROM THREE AND 82% FROM THE FREE THROW

fall back

Nik, don't forget that the 3-point line was shorter durning Kobe's rookie year so comparing those 3-point stats ain't fair to VC.

It's funny that you mentioned here, that Kobe wasen't prepared for the NBA body and maturity-wise (something I've been telling you some time ago), yet some time ago in other thread you were claiming Kobe could average 40 points/per game durning his first couple years, had he not played with Shaq :D

i said kobe coulda averaged 40 points on a team like the cavs, which was centered around running ISOs for him (considering he scored 30 ppg playing alongside shaq). not when he was a rookie, though LOL. his numbers woulda been much higher bein drafted to a lower-seeded team as a rookie, but the 40 ppg would obviously take some years under the belt to achieve.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:42:11 PM by NIKCC »

Hack Wilson - real

During the 1994–95, 1995–96, and 1996–97 seasons, the NBA attempted to address decreased scoring by shortening the distance of the line from 23 feet, 9 inches (22 feet at the corners) to a uniform 22 feet (6.7 m) around the basket. In 1995–96, Dennis Scott set a then-record for most three-pointers made in a season (267) and George McCloud set the record for most three-point attempts (678). From the 1997–98 season, the NBA reverted the line to its original distance of 23 feet, 9 inches (22 feet at the corners). Ray Allen broke Scott's record with 269 three-pointers in the 2005–06 season.

WAs not Kobe's rookie year 96-97?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
During the 1994–95, 1995–96, and 1996–97 seasons, the NBA attempted to address decreased scoring by shortening the distance of the line from 23 feet, 9 inches (22 feet at the corners) to a uniform 22 feet (6.7 m) around the basket. In 1995–96, Dennis Scott set a then-record for most three-pointers made in a season (267) and George McCloud set the record for most three-point attempts (678). From the 1997–98 season, the NBA reverted the line to its original distance of 23 feet, 9 inches (22 feet at the corners). Ray Allen broke Scott's record with 269 three-pointers in the 2005–06 season.

WAs not Kobe's rookie year 96-97?

Forgot all about that. That's when some players like Nick Van Excel still shot from what would be the old 3 point line, because they were so use to their stroke that they just shot from long range. Man, I forgot all about that.

Mietek23

i said kobe coulda averaged 40 points on a team like the cavs, which was centered around running ISOs for him (considering he scored 30 ppg playing alongside shaq). not when he was a rookie, though LOL. his numbers woulda been much higher bein drafted to a lower-seeded team as a rookie, but the 40 ppg would obviously take some years under the belt to achieve.

And I told you, there's no chance he could've done it back in the day. It was a different ball game back then, the rules were different - after 2002 season the NBA went soft with defensive rules in order to make the game more quicker. It don't matter if he was drafted to the Grizzlies - there's no way he could average 40pts/per game in a season durining years from 1997 to 2002, plus don't forget it took him 2-3 years to adapt to the NBA body-wise. He took off durning 99-00 season..

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
99-2000 season, he was NBA ready, 2000-2001 season Kobe was fuckin' unstoppable. But drafted to the Grizzlies, thank god Jerry west saw something in that kid. West was actually against players coming out of high school and was on record in the LA Times as saying as much. Then he traded for Kobe... LMAO. That's why West was a genius.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
consistency is one of the best measures to judge fundamentals. If you have good fundamentals, then you'd be consistent. If you don't have good fundamentals, then you will be streaky. And 18, 19, 20 year old Kobe was very streaky.

this is the dumbest shit ever posted on dubcc...u can have great fundamentals, but not be consistent. lets say u get old, and aren't in physical shape to run and move like u used to...ur fundamentals would still be the same, but consistency would diminish. same shit goes for if ur young and dont have an nba-ready body. man, mdogg, i think u just say shit to hear urself talk.

not talking, typing.

Sccit

And I told you, there's no chance he could've done it back in the day. It was a different ball game back then, the rules were different - after 2002 season the NBA went soft with defensive rules in order to make the game more quicker. It don't matter if he was drafted to the Grizzlies - there's no way he could average 40pts/per game in a season durining years from 1997 to 2002, plus don't forget it took him 2-3 years to adapt to the NBA body-wise. He took off durning 99-00 season..

lol, athletes became much more advanced, athletic, and overall stronger during kobe's day....MJ was goin up agains the likes of jeff hornacek, byron russell, and hersey hawkins. it wasnt a league dominated by insane athletes on the perimeter like nowadays. it was a big dominant game, which actually made it EASIER for jordan. if he played with the likes of lebron, durant, melo, t-mac, VC  athletes as such, he wouldn't have as easy a job on the perimeter as he did. on top of that, i'm pretty sure we've discussed this in the past...the no zone rules back in the days also made it much easier for wings to get through the lane...no triple teams like u can do today, it was a different game, harder for bigs, but easier on the perimeter players. and quit sayin theres no chance....this is a guy who never attempted as many shots per game as jordan did in his best scoring season, but he still averaged 35.4 ppg. if he was drafted to a toronto or cleveland type with a franchise handed to him, he coulda very easily done it by 2002. like i said, he averaged 28.5 ppg as a 21 year old in 2000.....with shaq attempting 20 shots a game. 11.5 more point without those 20 attempts by shaq is not unthinkable.

Hack Wilson - real

you try to make it sound like Kobe and MJ played 50 years apart lol

the NBA was a lot harder to play in for guards in the 80's because of the physicality, this cannot be argued.

Sccit

the NBA was a lot harder to play in for guards in the 80's because of the physicality, this cannot be argued.

lmao...yea, the refs let more slide, of course, but players werent built like they are today. the athletes of today would shit on the athletes of the 80s from an athletic standpoint. just take a look at all the opposing 2guards MJ had to face in all of his finals. in the 80s, ur average 2guard was 6'3" and 180 pounds LOL

Remedy360

lmao...yea, the refs let more slide, of course, but players werent built like they are today. the athletes of today would shit on the athletes of the 80s from an athletic standpoint. just take a look at all the opposing 2guards MJ had to face in all of his finals. in the 80s, ur average 2guard was 6'3" and 180 pounds LOL

Yeah, while the big men have declined guard play is way up these days.

Mietek23

lol, athletes became much more advanced, athletic, and overall stronger during kobe's day....MJ was goin up agains the likes of jeff hornacek, byron russell, and hersey hawkins. it wasnt a league dominated by insane athletes on the perimeter like nowadays. it was a big dominant game, which actually made it EASIER for jordan. if he played with the likes of lebron, durant, melo, t-mac, VC  athletes as such, he wouldn't have as easy a job on the perimeter as he did. on top of that, i'm pretty sure we've discussed this in the past...the no zone rules back in the days also made it much easier for wings to get through the lane...no triple teams like u can do today, it was a different game, harder for bigs, but easier on the perimeter players. and quit sayin theres no chance....this is a guy who never attempted as many shots per game as jordan did in his best scoring season, but he still averaged 35.4 ppg. if he was drafted to a toronto or cleveland type with a franchise handed to him, he coulda very easily done it by 2002. like i said, he averaged 28.5 ppg as a 21 year old in 2000.....with shaq attempting 20 shots a game. 11.5 more point without those 20 attempts by shaq is not unthinkable.

LOL. MJ didn't have a jumpshot going until 88-89 season, when he was starting to hit more shots from the outside. Most of his points from his first 4 seasons came from playing close to the rim and driving to the basket, where big man were waiting to foul him hard. What do you mean, there wasen't no triple-teams back then? Jordan was constantly double and triple-teamed, specially playing against Pistons, Celtics and Knicks. And I told you a milion times already - just because zone defense was illegal back in the day, dosen't mean teams didn't play it. Just watch the Bulls-Pistons or Bulls-Knicks series and see for yourself.

Jordan averaged 27,8 shots per game in his best scoring season while playing 82 games, Bryant took 27,2 shots per game in his best season, while playing 80 games, so stop pretending like he took 10 more shots/per game than Kobe - the difference is a little more than half a shot per game ::)