1 (1.9%)
Kobe Bryant
27 (50.9%)
Vince Carter
4 (7.5%)
Dwayne Wade
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Out of all players compared to Jordan, which do you think is the closest?  (Read 3383 times)

OneHittaSpitta

• Muthafuckin' OG
Ups and downs? Kobe has stayed pretty consistant throughout the years...Once again, you morons prove your lack of knowledge.

2000 - Avg. 28 a game
2001 - Avg. 25 a game
2002 - Avg. 30 a game
2003 - Avg. 24 a game
2004 - Avg. 28 a game

Hmm...Looks pretty up a down to me.

Take a span of 88-89 through 92-93 for Jordan and his point average a game is 32.5, 33.6, 31.5, 30.1, 32.6.  Not too much variation in those numbers. 

Everything looks consistant besides the 2003 season, which is the exception, because it was a team that contained four Hall of Famers...Again, you show WCC how dumb a moron can be.

Do you have no math skills?  Jordan's points per game didn't vary more than 2.1 points between any year.  Kobe goes up six, down three, up five, down six, up four.  How can you say that those numbers are consistent?  I swear, some people just don't know when to shut the hell up and accept the facts.

you obviously dont know NIK lol. He doesnt let little things like facts, or common sense influence his arguments. This is exactly what makes Laker fans look like retards. If i was a laker fan (a REAL one), i would HATE people like NIK arguing for my team, cus others look at him and assume thats how dumb all laker fans are. lol. I know we got some REAL laker fans on here. And they are the ones that are able to admit when theyre team is sucking, or when they do something stupid. A real fan will criticize their team when they do wrong, and hope that they do better. Not just pretend that their team is perfect when theyre not, and suck Kobe's dick no matter how obvious his faults are.

Tom, I was hoping you got a life or at least killed yourself...I'm not even arguing for my team...I'm just simply stating my beliefs, just like every other person on here...Those beliefs are just that the Lakers have potential to be a very good team...I mean, they're playing like shit and they're still sitting in the playoffs...Timberwolves are basically the same team as last year and can't reach the playoffs...People hate to admit Kobe is a great player, I don't understand why...Most NBA analysts love Kobe, but many of you everyday basketball fans seem to have a certain hatred built within yourselves for Kobe...I can't believe people are going as far as calling Kobe inconsistant...His point per game isn't what makes him a great player, because regardless of what he averaged he remained a top scorer...Shaq was injured on and off during the years he was on the Lakers, and that can explain Kobe's average going up and down...There are so many other things I can say, but it's not even worth it, because you all know Kobe is a great player in reality...PeACe

Im not gonna lie, i cant stand Kobe really. But i didnt say he wasnt good. He actually is one of the best in the league. But i DO think a lotta Laker fans overrate him as far as this whole comparison to Jordan thing. Youve never seen me say he WASNT good. Obviously he is. But i dont think, in any way is he on Jordans level...no one is yet. I dont see anyone being there in a LONG time.

Doggystylin

why do you keep letting him call you tom? lol

Now_Im_Not_Banned

why do you keep letting him call you tom? lol

LOL@me being high as fuck and accusing the retard of being Tom...

Hack Wilson - real

Jamal Crawford

Remedy360

VC probably coulda gone down as the greatest ever if he had the same kinda work ethic of the Kobe/Jordan type.

Mietek23

VC probably coulda gone down as the greatest ever if he had the same kinda work ethic of the Kobe/Jordan type.

I don't think so. He had the greatest hoops of all the players I saw, but he didn't had the basketball fundamentals Jordan and Bryant had. Plus he was nowhere near them as far as defense goes (specially MJ). Still, he was and is the greatest dunker of all-time. Hands down.

Sccit

exactly...vc didnt have the footwork, defense, and overall fundamentals. 1 hell of an athlete, tho.

Remedy360

I don't think so. He had the greatest hoops of all the players I saw, but he didn't had the basketball fundamentals Jordan and Bryant had. Plus he was nowhere near them as far as defense goes (specially MJ). Still, he was and is the greatest dunker of all-time. Hands down.

Yeah but I feel like a lot of that has to do with effort and studying the game as opposed to the god given talent he had.

Sccit

Yeah but I feel like a lot of that has to do with effort and studying the game as opposed to the god given talent he had.

u could say the same shit for james white, tho

Mietek23

Partly, yes. Actually, Vince had a better jumpshot coming to the NBA than Michael. But he made a basic mistake, most of today's athlete's are making - he didn't worked on his basketball skills enough. He just based on his athleticism, and was jumping over guys left and right. Jordan on the other hand was always trying to turn his weaknesses into strenghts and Kobe followed into his footsteps by doing the same and working hard.

When Vince's athleticism was gone, it showed his true colors of him being a good, solid player but no more a "great" one like before. Still, being the greatest dunker ever is a hell of achievement if you ask me. He didn't have the hang-time, the finess and the body control of a Jordan, but his hoops were insane and his dunks were just second to none. I still remember some of the jams from his rookie season - shit was off the hook 8)

Those dunks on Mutombo and Mullin are just ridiculous :o

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Carter had every single given tool to have been great, but he was not the most physically gifted basketball player I've ever seen. But Carter did have a better jump shot than Kobe or Michael coming into the league, and I think had he worked on his skill as a young player like he does now, he could have been a top 10 player all time. He was a most physically gifted athlete than Kobe or Michael, but he just didn't add the fundamentals until his skill level dropped. Young Vince Carter with old Vince Carter skill set could have been a great player.

I think at the end of the day, Kobe has won this argument of closest player to Jordan. Since the 60's, only 2 players have averaged 35ppg in a season, Kobe and Michael. I think Kobe's downfall is he didn't go to college, so his career stats are very inconsistent early in his career, and then later he had more mileage to his stats are not as good as Jordan at the same age. I think the coming out of high school experiment hurt some players more than others, and for Kobe he had a top 5 career but he could have been better had he went to college for 1-2 years. With that said, had he not came straight out of high school, then the Hornets wouldn't have given up his draft rights for Vlade Divac. So at the end of the day, it worked out for the Lakers.

Sccit

Carter had every single given tool to have been great, but he was not the most physically gifted basketball player I've ever seen. But Carter did have a better jump shot than Kobe or Michael coming into the league, and I think had he worked on his skill as a young player like he does now, he could have been a top 10 player all time. He was a most physically gifted athlete than Kobe or Michael, but he just didn't add the fundamentals until his skill level dropped. Young Vince Carter with old Vince Carter skill set could have been a great player.

I think at the end of the day, Kobe has won this argument of closest player to Jordan. Since the 60's, only 2 players have averaged 35ppg in a season, Kobe and Michael. I think Kobe's downfall is he didn't go to college, so his career stats are very inconsistent early in his career, and then later he had more mileage to his stats are not as good as Jordan at the same age. I think the coming out of high school experiment hurt some players more than others, and for Kobe he had a top 5 career but he could have been better had he went to college for 1-2 years. With that said, had he not came straight out of high school, then the Hornets wouldn't have given up his draft rights for Vlade Divac. So at the end of the day, it worked out for the Lakers.

better jump-shot than michael, yes, dunno about kobe, tho...dont forget, kobe had a refined jump-shot comin in, not like mike, who had to develop his. kobe shot 38% from three and 82% from the line in his rookie season..vince? just 28% and 76%... no offense, mdoggy, but sometimes i think u say shit just to say shit. it will help u a lot in life (not just dubcc) if u say shit from knowledge as opposed to just passing off randomized speculation as fact.....anyways, i truly believe kobe still has one more chapter left to be written. the way it unfolds will determine where he ranks on the all-time list....he's already a clear-cut first-tier player. but if everything goes as planned, he will add to his legacy, secure a couple more titles, break the all-time scoring record, and retire as GOAT 8)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

better jump-shot than michael, yes, dunno about kobe, tho...dont forget, kobe had a refined jump-shot comin in, not like mike, who had to develop his. kobe shot 38% from three and 82% from the line in his rookie season..vince? just 28% and 76%... no offense, mdoggy, but sometimes i think u say shit just to say shit. it will help u a lot in life (not just dubcc) if u say shit from knowledge as opposed to just passing off randomized speculation as fact.....anyways, i truly believe kobe still has one more chapter left to be written. the way it unfolds will determine where he ranks on the all-time list....he's already a clear-cut first-tier player. but if everything goes as planned, he will add to his legacy, secure a couple more titles, break the all-time scoring record, and retire as GOAT 8)

You must remember one thing. Jordan came into the league shooting over 50%, Kobe 41.7% and Carter 45%. So statistically, both Jordan and Carter both shot a higher percentage than Kobe. In fact, I'd say Kobe was the worst jump shooter of the 3 coming into the league well Jordan was over 50% because he played closer to the rim that year. The next year Jordan came back to earth shooting 45.7% because people pushed him out of the lane more and VC shot 46.5% his second year as he was able to get to the rim more and his shoot started falling. Kobe second year, 42.8%. Coming out of HS hurt Kobe's early stats greatly, and that has to be acknowledged when you say coming into the league. Now Jordan was 21 coming into the league, VC was 22, so Kobe at 22 was shooting 46.6%, which is better than both at the age of 22. Still, coming into the league, Kobe was the worst of the 3 when it comes to shooting, jump shot and other areas of skill measuring.

Remember, Kobe at 22 was already a 4 year vet.

Remedy360

Partly, yes. Actually, Vince had a better jumpshot coming to the NBA than Michael. But he made a basic mistake, most of today's athlete's are making - he didn't worked on his basketball skills enough. He just based on his athleticism, and was jumping over guys left and right. Jordan on the other hand was always trying to turn his weaknesses into strenghts and Kobe followed into his footsteps by doing the same and working hard.

That's really what I was getting at. Like NIK said you could probably make the case for a lot of freakish athletes, VC was just so blessed and it seems like he threw a lot of it away (was still one of my favorites to watch though).

Sccit

You must remember one thing. Jordan came into the league shooting over 50%, Kobe 41.7% and Carter 45%. So statistically, both Jordan and Carter both shot a higher percentage than Kobe. In fact, I'd say Kobe was the wor st jump shooter of the 3 coming into the league well Jordan was over 50% because he played closer to the rim that year. The next year Jordan came back to earth shooting 45.7% because people pushed him out of the lane more and VC shot 46.5% his second year as he was able to get to the rim more and his shoot started falling. Kobe second year, 42.8%. Coming out of HS hurt Kobe's early stats greatly, and that has to be acknowledged when you say coming into the league. Now Jordan was 21 coming into the league, VC was 22, so Kobe at 22 was shooting 46.6%, which is better than both at the age of 22. Still, coming into the league, Kobe was the worst of the 3 when it comes to shooting, jump shot and other areas of skill measuring.

Remember, Kobe at 22 was already a 4 year vet.

thats exactly the point...jump-shooters naturally shoot lower percentages. kobe shot way more jumpshots than vince or mj as a rookie, because he was a more refined jumpshooter comin in. this really aint debatable, u just looked up the stats and came up wit that shit to sound like u know what u talkin bout, but it is what it is. now, to say "far worse", now u just stretchin it to save face, and it's backfirin. that shit aint true at all, my dude. just go look at old rookie kobe videos, even back in summer league debut, he always had a pure stroke. kobe's stroke as a rookie was wayyy more pure than jordan's, and a couple of notches above VC's, as well.