Author Topic: Styles P Changes His Style (vibe magazine interview)  (Read 231 times)

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Styles P Changes His Style (vibe magazine interview)
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:24:36 AM »
D-Block representative Styles P is back once again with a new album that remains true to his name. This time around Pinero provides an alternative to the norm, all the while remaining true to his core audience. Time Is Money is the title of The Ghost's latest lyrical masterpiece, and includes the powerful first single "I'm Black" featuring Marsha of Floetry. Styles talked with VIBE.com about his past, his come up and his plans for the future.

You were known for mixtapes like every other week but we've only heard you on remixes here and there. Since you came home from jail you've been pretty low profile, is there a reason?

I did the mixtape thing. I put out two "Best of's" with a lot of music. I just wanted to really focus in and put my effort on this album. So I'm just keeping low key because it's my time. I got a big gang to make.

I'm not really gonna touch the 50 and Jada situation but I do want to ask you if you think the "beef" is good for the game itself?

I can say yeah and no. 'No' because the media is gonna blow it up and make it into more than it is. Then I could say 'yeah' because it will generate money. People are always gonna buy bullshit. People always gonna buy into that kind of shit. That's why it's put out and that's not just with rap music, that's just in general. Controversy sells. That's like when you go to the movie theater, most people are gonna go see the rated R movie before the nice, peaceful, flower movie.

How do you feel about the status of hip hop? Where do you think we're at right now?

I think it sucks to tell you the truth. I think it's good for the fact that there's a lot of money being made right now, but I think the quality of the music ain't. I don't think it's a bunch of nice artists how it used to be. I don't think it's like the time when you had Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, Buckshot, us, all of that at once. Or like even the time before that when it was KRS, Kool G, Kane, EPMD. It's not really like that no more. You can't really say it's a bunch of people that you hear real great lyrics out of. It's not even like that especially now. The lyrics be garbage and it shouldn't even be like that.

It seems that a lot of artists are going independent to get more money. Do you think it's hard to do both, sell records and stay true to the art form?

Yeah, (going independent) that's the best thing you could do. But contracts are a *****.

Is your loyalty to the fans rather than just making the money?

I'm a businessman and an artist. I started off an artist then evolved into a businessman from being in the business. So I'm gonna always try to stay true to being an artist. That wouldn't be me to go out in the streets and say I'm gonna make some music just to make this money and I don't really care how it sounds, that's not me. I care about what I'm saying. I do mixtapes. I stay on the mixtape circuit. I do things like that just to stay on my toes, on my p and q's, because I like to have that respect as a lyricist. To some people that's not important. To some people it is. I just happen to be one the people that it's still important to.

So the title of the album is Time Is Money. Is that the way you're living your life these days?

All day, time is money. I mean you know I was incarcerated and with me being incarcerated 'time is money' kind of sinks in your head. I ain't really got too much time to waste. I ain't got time to play around because there's something I could be doing constructive, getting some money. That's my motto.

How did you decide to make "I'm Black" your first single?

I had to. Me being a person with such street credibility in a time when everybody's talking about money, jewels and everything else, not to knock that, but somebody need to say something about who we are and who we are as a people - what's going down. So I felt I had to play my part.

Even though we have artists like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, do you think that coming from Styles P makes it's easier to relate to?

That's why I felt like I had to do it because some people don't wanna listen to somebody if they feel like they didn't go through the same situation. I think Talib, Mos and them been through the same situation but the fact that they never came out on no rah-rah shit like towards the street side, people from the street don't see it like that. So I felt like me, being who I am, it was important for someone like me with street credibility to say it. Somebody gotta say something. People will listen if you say punch, punch, punch, punch, punch him in the face five times. Then you might just be able to spit something good, you know how that shit is.

Do you think that's important, to keep your street credibility?

I used to live by that. I used to think that was the most important shit in the world. It got to a point where I had to wake up because people would be like to me, "yo, what are you doing? You don't have to do that, everybody already know." So I had to come to reality within myself like maybe I should just slow down. I'm not the type to let anybody handle anything for me. I handle my own problems, I fight for myself, stick up for myself but there comes a time in life when you gotta be like please walk away because this guy is gonna press charges; he ain't as serious about it as I am and then I'll end up being the unfortunate one out of this situation. I've been told on numerous amounts of times and I got sued too. Twice, so I'm good. I can't keep going to jail, getting arrested, paying lawyers and this and that. I aint got it, ***** that shit.

It just shows another side of you, your diversity…

Yeah, you gotta be versatile. I'm getting older, I'm not getting younger. I mean I am getting younger but I'm getting older though. You gotta be mature about something, sooner or later.

Do you think that when you reach a certain age it's necessary to step up or change in some way?

I think it depends on what's in you. I wouldn't say it's a certain age because I think it's just you as an individual. Like I got kids, I got a family, I got a fiancée, I got a mom, I got a sister, I got nephews, I got nieces I can't really afford to go to jail and all that shit. I don't care what's called gangsta or who thinks what's gangsta. I'm saying I ain't trying to go to jail, that's not the place to be. I ain't trying to get into no extra trouble, I've been in enough trouble in my life, more than enough. I had my share and other people's share worth of trouble (a few other people). So I'm just trying to chill out and relax as much as I can. Stay out of trouble, raise my kids and do what I gotta do.

That's definitely a sign of maturity.

Wack is wack and jail is the wackest shit you could do. I don't care who wanna front to you. I'm a tough dude and I'm thorough but I aint trying to be in jail with somebody telling me when to go to sleep, when to wake up, when to pee, you know? Go on a VI, squat, lift your nuts up, split your ass cheeks, lift your feet, and open your mouth that shit is wack. That shit is torture! So I try to avoid it and keep it moving the best I can.

True, you put in your work already anyway.

Yeah, I'm like an OG. I did what I had to do. I'm not one of the rappers who said a bunch of things on record, who's never been through anything. I did what I had to do. I could walk through the hood, my street credibility is good. So I ain't really trying to keep on being crazy and then end up in jail and then you mature. You know you wake up in there? I'd rather wake up out here. Free.

Do you feel that your music reflects the changes that you go through personally, as a man, as a father and as an artist?

Yeah, definitely. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I think my music just basically reflects. I don't wanna say I have one way that I lean towards, I just express myself. When I make my music, I'm expressing myself. I'm in the studio just letting it go so sometimes I say yeah and sometimes I say no.

We've seen the gangsta side of Styles, with the album Gangsta & A Gentleman but when are we going to see the gentleman side?

All the time, I'm a gangsta and a gentleman.

I'm talking about the ladies.

I got a couple of songs on this album. This go around, I did it. It was hard for me to do because before I was kind of against making songs for the ladies. Just because of the type of artist I am, it's kind of hard for me to fabricate something that aint really true. I had to figure out a way that I could be myself and make a song for the ladies that I still feel comfortable with and the fellas could listen to. Sometimes when you make a song for the ladies and the fellas can't listen to it your credibility is shot, so I had to work on that and I did it. I did a damn good job matter of fact!

What's the name of the song?

I got a few of them, I got more than one, see. It's one called "Favorite Drug," then I got a song called "First in Line" featuring Mario Winans, then I got a song called "Kick it Like That" with Jagged Edge.

When does the album drop?

It comes out in either May or June.

Who else is featured on the album?

Sizzla, Talib Kweli, Floetry, Jagged Edge, Mario Winans, Rashad and D-Block.

Sizzla, that's different. Are you a reggae fan also?

Yeah that's my man. He's a rebel with a cause you know?

What label is the album coming out on?

Ruff Ryders. Me and 'Kiss are D-Block owners, we C.E.O's. Sheek's an artist and a C.E.O.

How would you rate this album from Money, Power, Respect till now?

This is my best work because I went and did things I wouldn't normally do. I had to come to that on my own terms. To do certain kinds of songs on my own terms and I did. I told myself I was gonna do them and I did them and I like how they came out. I put a lot of effort towards it and I tried to be as responsible as I could with this shit so I feel real good about it. I feel I grew a lot and I think this is my best work.

What are you listening to these days, what's in your CD player?

Well I been listening to B.I.G. this week, I been on a BIG trip this week, strictly Biggie. Usually though, I go old school. I been listening to Marvin, I always listen to Marvin and whatever R&B that's hot is cool.

Where or when can we see you perform? Are you doing an appearances or anything for the fans?

I'll do shows soon. I think they're working out the schedule. So I'll be going on a promotional tour soon. Probably in the very near future I would say.

What's up with Sheek, where is he?

He's coming out on D-Block/Koch. Then we got Sheek/Hood and a D-Block Compilation.

Is there anything you want to tell your fans?

My shit is crazy. I ain't just saying that. My album is ridiculous. I just can't wait 'til it gets out, that's all I'm saying. Cop the shit. Everybody need to cop about three of them because somebody is going to steal at least one of them from you, somebody. If they loved the first one, they gonna love this one. Trust me on this one.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Styles P Changes His Style (vibe magazine interview)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »
tight cant wait to cop tha album

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Dip Set Movementarian 4 Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 02:19:54 PM »
can't wait for it...but i was hopin for alot more gangsta side of Styles...

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 07:33:05 PM »
yeah cant wait for his new album

kellyboy

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the interview  ;D

Gotti......Xl

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thug Life
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:21:43 AM »

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 01:34:22 AM »
can't wait for it...but i was hopin for alot more gangsta side of Styles...

'EclipZe

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 02:37:02 AM »