Author Topic: What classic Dre songs are samples?  (Read 329 times)

douglasmckain

• Lil Geezy
What classic Dre songs are samples?
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:43:42 AM »
Does Dr. Dre sample a lot my friend that is a producer and a big neptunes fan says he samples a lot is this true if so what songs?

mauzip

Re: What classic Dre songs are samples?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 07:44:53 AM »
naw, i don't think dre ever used a sample

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:48:45 AM »

not many are 'samples'.. many replay songs though

quik4life

• 'G'
  • I'd rather be dope than use it! - DJ Quik
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 07:51:49 AM »
nuthin' but a 'g' thang is a sample...

forgot the name of the song, but dre didn't even compose anything new (musically) on that beat...he simply re-did it

guilty conscience is an obvious sample of song called "i will follow him"...again, if forgot who it's by

that's all i can think of off the top of my head

az
One nuts, two nuts, three un four
Then I wake up in the morning and I bust two more
Cus that's the freak in me, and yes I'm very doggy
Playin with your coochie till it's nice and soggy
--DJ Quik--

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »

forgot the name of the song, but dre didn't even compose anything new (musically) on that beat...he simply re-did it

That's not true.  He sampled the actual track, looped it, and added several things, guitar and keyboards, etc.  It does sound almost identical, though... but he didn't actually re-create that song in the studio, it's an actual sample, with things added over. 

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 08:16:23 AM »
Well it's a difference between sampling and making an interpolation. I donno what Dre does, I have heard he re-plays everything over though. So if you mean has he actually sampled, as in really taking the original song and doin somethin over it, then I can't even say what songs he did or didn't. But most of his big songs before like 2002 re-played an old song. That goes for G Thang, The Wash, Dre Day/Whats My name, Lets get high, Xxplosive, Still Dre (I haven't heard the original tho), The next episode, Lil ghetto boy.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 08:18:32 AM »

That's not true. He sampled the actual track, looped it, and added several things, guitar and keyboards, etc. It does sound almost identical, though... but he didn't actually re-create that song in the studio, it's an actual sample, with things added over.
it does sound alike, but he added a lot of things, like bass, that shit bumps!

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 09:10:36 AM »
Let Me Ride

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 10:26:44 AM »
Well it's a difference between sampling and making an interpolation. I donno what Dre does, I have heard he re-plays everything over though. So if you mean has he actually sampled, as in really taking the original song and doin somethin over it, then I can't even say what songs he did or didn't. But most of his big songs before like 2002 re-played an old song. That goes for G Thang, The Wash, Dre Day/Whats My name, Lets get high, Xxplosive, Still Dre (I haven't heard the original tho), The next episode, Lil ghetto boy.

still dre i heard the original on some tv advert in the uk last year.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 11:30:32 AM »
check this thread i made a while ago, might help with some songs

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=67104.0
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:17:08 PM »
he samples,go bacc to those nwa albums a gang of samples,but alot of time west coast producers would play over a tracc yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »
The DOC - Funky Enough produced by Dr. Dre is a sample, I don't remember the name of the song it samples but I've heard it once or twice.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Suga Foot

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 05:10:24 PM »
The DOC - Funky Enough produced by Dr. Dre is a sample, I don't remember the name of the song it samples but I've heard it once or twice.

that one is replayed, not sampled.  The DOC said it himself.

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »
The vocab yall need!

Sample is when you actually take the original recording, and put it into part of your new recording.  You directly copy it off of the released product, and use that as a part of your beat.

Interpolation is what Dre mainly does anymore (when he does use something old)... that's when you 'interpret' an original song, I.E., re-recording it.  The reason people interpolate, is because then you don't have to pay performance royalties, and get permission, you only have to pay songwriting royalties, although you often still need permission.  It's really complicated shit.

If you say, put out a tape of Leon Russel's I wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You, then you're in big fucking trouble.  Since he wrote it, AND recorded it, and you're releasing not only his song, but his performance of it, you have to pay him everything (or whoever owns the rights). 

If you put out a song, that samples Leon Russel's I Wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You, then you need to either strike some kind of deal with the owners of the song, or you need to pay the songwriter royalties (Leon), and the performer royalties (Leon).  Rapper's didn't do this for years, and then everybody started suing.  Anymore, people always strike a deal.  Instead of paying full royalties, like you had re-released their recording, of THEIR track, you can tell the record company "Look, this song is gonna make him popular again, yall will sell more albums, and plus, I'm not re-releasing the whole song, just a little snippet of it sampled into this beat... how about I give you 5 grand, and you give me a clearance waiver?"  Or something like that.

Next down the list, you can do what Dre does most of the time, Interpolate the song.  You re-play it, and record your own version.  The problem with this is, it changes the format of the song, which you cannot do, without permission from the author/owner of the song.  So say he loops 15 seconds of "I Wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You".... he no longer has to pay performance royalties to Leon Russel, because DRE is now the performer... he re-recorded it and performed it himself (with his band).  He DOES, though, still have to pay Songwriters royalties, because he didn't write it.  Furthermore, since he's changed the way the song was originally written (removed the bridge, looped the same part over and over, dropped verses out, dropped lyrics off)... he needs permission from the songwriter, to RELEASE it that way... if he released it, and paid the songwriter royalties, the songwriter could say "I never wrote "I Wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You" to be about people murdering people, you can't do that to my song, people will think that since I'm the songwriter, that I support that".  So you need clearance to even INTERPOLATE something... but when you negotiate, all you have to do is say "Look, I don't owe you performance royalties, because I performed it.  All I owe you anyways is songwriting royalties, so if you clear it, you'll sell more albums, it'll get you on the radio again, how about I give you 3 grand, and you sign a clearance waiver?"

Finally, the last option is, you could record an entire new version of a already released song.  If it's reasonably similar, you don't need the songwriter's permission, you just have to pay songwriting royalties.  You don't have to pay performance royalties, because you're performing it yourself, not replaying their performance.  There's a standard deal that the RIAA worked up years ago, where people get paid 7 cents for every song that's sold & recorded by another artist.  So for instance, if Dre did a version of "I Wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You", with the exact lyrics the same and everything, and didn't wildly change the musical structure of the song up (to an extent, you can play it a different tempo, or add or subtract instruments, etc. just leave the main chord progression similar)... if Dre did THAT, then all he would have to pay is 7 cents for every album/single sold of that song.  That's about 70 grand for every million albums sold, in songwriting royalties.

So it's really fucking complicated.  On top of all that, songwriting and performance royalties can be sold and bought... so for instance, the Beatles signed a contract in the 60's, to Capitol records, and signed over most of their performance rights to them (since capitol paid to record them)... so when a Beatles song plays on the radio, since it's the Beatles performing, Capitol gets a portion of the performance royalties, and the Beatles themselves who appear on the song get a portion of the performance royalties (whatever portion they still own contractually).  When the Beatles broke up, Paul & John sold their songwriting rights, and Michael Jackson owns them now.  So when a beatles song plays on the radio, say "Yesterday" by Paul McCartney... Paul gets a little bit of a performance royalty (since it's him performing it)... Capitol gets a little bit of a performance royalty (because they signed a contract with Paul)... and Michael gets ALL of the songwriting royalties.  On top of that, if anybody else records "Yesterday", and it's sold, or gets put on the radio, Michael Jackson gets songwriting royalties, and Paul doesnt' get shit, because it's not his performance, and he no longer owns the songwriting royalties. 

HOWEVER, Paul recorded several albums himself, and released them himself, like his album from the early 80's, "McCartney II".  Since he did it all himself, he still has the performance royalties, and the songwriting royalties... so if they play one of those songs on the radio (Coming Up!)... Paul gets the full performance royalties, plus the full songwriting royalties. 

It's really fucking complicated, but you can see how record companies fuck over artists by having them sign away their songwriting royalties. 

You've got lots of deals going down, though... it's like Snoop doing Lodi Dodi... maybe he told Slick Rick "Rick, look, I know I gotta pay you these songwriting royalties since you wrote it, but if you'll let me release it, and sign off where I dont' have to pay you... it's gonna be a big hit, and you'll sell a shitload of your original c.d.'s again, and keep all the money you make off that, performance and songwriting'... so a lot of that goes down. 

It's really important to keep your rights.  Here's a short example.  In the mid 60's, Dolly Parton was leaving her television show with Porter Wagoner to start a solo career... he didn't want her to go, and was mad about it, so one night she wrote a song on her guitar called "I Will Always Love You", and sang it to Porter on the finale of the show.  It was a huge hit, and she made a lot of money off of making that record, and the songwriting royalties.  Elvis contacted her, a couple years later, and told her that he would love to record her song, but that he wanted to buy it from her, so he could make any songwriting royalties he generated off of it, because since he was recording it, and it was a great song, it was sure to make a bunch of money.  If she wouldn't sell him the song, though, he wouldn't record it.  Well, she was a HUGE fan, and was honored that he wanted to sing her little song she wrote in her living room... but she wisely decided to keep the songwriting rights, and turned Elvis down.  He didn't record the song.  Years later, the song was re-released for a movie she did, and once again topped the charts, selling millions of copies, and she made a whole ton of money, that she wouldn't have made if she sold it to Elvis.  Years after THAT, Whitney Houston decided to record it for the "Bodyguard" soundtrack, which went on to become the biggest selling soundtrack of all time, and made Dolly a fucking FORTUNE once more.. Whitney's version was a bigger hit than the other previous two times, she's probably made 60 or 70 million dollars off of that song, since the time she turned Elvis down.

notorious^q8I

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • KUWAITI........
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 02:35:47 AM »
dre samples/re-does alotta songs
but still dre wasnt a sample
i remember reading mel-man or scott storch talkin about how scott was messin around with the drum machine or somn and did the bass line for the song and dre did the boards then mel man added some effects or somn like that
i really cant remember the interview but still dre is definately a start from scratch beat

CLASSIC.... west is BACK