Author Topic: New NFL Rule - No Tackling Like 'Roy Williams'  (Read 112 times)

Big BpG

New NFL Rule - No Tackling Like 'Roy Williams'
« on: March 23, 2005, 09:22:05 PM »
IRVING, Texas - - In only three seasons, Cowboys safety Roy Williams has already formed a reputation as being one of the NFL's most-feared hitters.

But it's that fear - of injury - that has the league on the verge of creating a new rule outlawing the horse-collar tackling technique that Williams made infamous last season.

The NFL is expected to pass a new rule trying to eliminate the tackling technique involving grabbing a runner behind by his neck and immediately pulling him down by his shoulder pads. If the rule change passes, the tactic will likely result in a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty and a fine from the league.

Last year, Williams injured three players with that type of tackle, including Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, who needed surgery to repair torn ligaments in his ankle and suffered a fractured fibula after he was brought down from behind on Dec. 19.

Williams also brought down Ravens running back Musa Smith on Nov. 21, leaving him with a compound fracture in his right leg, resulting in Smith going to injured reserve and missing the rest of the season.

And in preseason, Williams ripped down Tennessee's Tyrone Calico from behind, resulting in the Titans receiver suffering two sprained knees, requiring surgery on his right knee. Calico eventually went to injured reserve and missed nearly all of the season.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said this week he is in favor of the rule change and would vote to make that type of tackle a penalty next year.

"It's strictly a safety issue," Jones said. "It was shown that the combination of being able to stop a player's progress and follow through with the tackle was more risky than we wanted it to be. That's the way I look at it. I think players like Roy Williams expose some of the things, safety-wise, in a very positive way that we need to be looking at, because it takes a lot of skill to do some of those things."

The NFL cited several examples of the horse-collared tackle, but highlighted four to the coaches and owners during this week's NFL owners meetings in Hawaii that resulted in season-ending injuries. Three of those four involved Williams, and the other was a tackle by Green Bay's Hannibal Navies, who brought down Carolina receiver Steve Smith from behind in the first game and ended his season as well.

Officially Retired

well, I guess if it prevents injury, but isn't football a dangerous sport? I'm a huge cowboy fan and I know in most situations when Williams tackled like that, it was his only option, the ball carrier was a second from breaking away. In all three situations Williams was behind the defender... how else do you tackle him? Just grab his jersey? Dive at the legs? I don't see any other way to it...but it's one of williams trademark moves and he almost injures everyone doing it... even last year he did it to a few guys... oh well... he's even more dangerous when you face him up front... ask Amani Toomer...

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 09:27:02 PM by Big BpG »

Albums I Bought This Year

From '93 to '05

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
Re: New NFL Rule - No Tackling Like 'Roy Williams'
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 10:38:30 PM »
IMO i think this is a stupid rule, but it will leave a positive effect on the game.  roy injired 3 or 4 players using that method when he could have simply tackled them in an easier and less dangerous manner
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »
lmao
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:06:28 PM »
I think it's stupid.  Let's see, let the guy score a touchdown or tackle him any way possible...

The NFL is making the game too easy.  Secondary can't do shit to offensive players anymore, a QB gets tapped and its a fifteen yard penalty, now you can't tackle people from behind...might as well bust out with the flag football set and give up on tackling all together.
NIK - World's worst moderator.

authentic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:09:39 PM »
okay i agree with this, one because why should a running back be getting by a safety in the first place, if u behind a back or a WR ur screwed cause thats ur mistake. To tackle someone like that can bring serious injury that doesnt need to be brought. Roy williams is a crazy hitter, he doesnt have to grab someone shoulder to injure him he'll just give them a concussion for going head to head on him

.Explosive.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 09:50:33 AM »
I Think its fair that u shouldnt be able to tackle like that i mean come on hes injured one of the greatest players in the game