Author Topic: R.I.P. Chris "Skip" Candido  (Read 143 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
R.I.P. Chris "Skip" Candido
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:35:30 PM »
Thanks to Mike Johnson at PWInsider for the following:

-- TNA star Chris Candido passed away suddenly this evening in New Jersey. Candido, 33, had suffered a myriad of injuries to his ankle at the TNA Lockdown PPV last Sunday. He was said to have been in good spirits following surgery on Monday, where a metal plate and screws were inserted to fix a dislocated ankle, a broken tibia, and a broken fibula.

Candido had appeared at the TNA taping in Orlando, Florida this past Tuesday, just 24 hours after the surgery, managing the Naturals from a wheelchair to the NWA Tag Team championships. The episode is scheduled to air tomorrow on the Fox Sports Network.

It should be noted that the police department in Candido's hometown of Matawan, New Jersey would not confirm his passing.

TNA posted the following message on their website "TNA joins the entire wrestling world in mourning the untimely death of Chris Candido on Thursday."

Our deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of Chris Candido.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: R.I.P. Chris "Skip" Candido
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:36:47 PM »
Candido's Speech Days before his death:

Chris Candido had surgery on Monday for his ankle, which completely broke during his match at TNA’s Lockdown PPV. In a wheelchair, he acted as manager for The Naturals during Tuesday’s TNA TV tapings. Before the match, he gave an emotional speech about why he came back so quickly from the injury. TNA management let him know that they would continue to use him at all upcoming events, giving him full pay despite his inability to wrestle, due to his injury. TNA also had offered to pay all of his medical expenses.

"Chris just got his life back together, and he was worried that this would be a huge setback and he'd be sitting at home for a few months," said one colleague, before his unfortunate death. "He is touched that everyone immediately let him know they were still going to utilize him, even from a wheelchair."

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
The following is from PWTorch.com newsletter editor, Wade Keller:

-- Chris Candido has died tonight according to numerous friends of his working in TNA. He was apparently eating dinner at home tonight, collapsed, and was rushed to the hospital. He then passed on at the hospital. We are still seeking confirmation from the hospital.

Candido, age 33, suffered a freak ankle break on Sunday's TNA PPV in the opening match. He was taken to the hospital and had surgery the next day. He was back at the TNA TV tapings a day later, managing The Naturals in their NWA Tag Team Title win on Tuesday night.

He was said to be nervous Sunday night about his future in wrestling because he had worked so hard to come back from drug addiction to clean up his life. He was relieved to find out that TNA and a number of indy promoters who had him booked all said they would use him and pay him if he could show up in a wheelchair or on crutches.

Candido (real name Chris Candito) wrestled as a member of the Bdoy Donnas tag team with Tom Prichard in the WWF. Before that he worked for Smoky Mountain Wrestling and ECW (where he was managed by his real-life girlfriend Tammy Sytch).

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »
You want to see something that will bring a tear to your eye? 

And from last month:

Poor Tammy. 

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:16:07 AM »
More details on Candido's Death:

Chris Candido's brother, Johnny posted the following message on the USA Pro Wrestling company's website:

"I find it only fitting you hear the truth from me about the death of my bestfriend, brother, and soulmate. Chris died tonight due to a blood clot brought on by complications with his surgery.

I just want to tell everyone that in their sorrow, find a way to be happy that he went out the way he wanted to...on top of the world, blonde, tan, and loving life up until the last minute. Every ounce of my brother loved this sport, and for him to go out 2 or 3 years ago wouldn't have been a fitting end to the life of such a determined, passionate, and benevolent human being.

I truly view my brother as an angel as will all who knew him. Thanks to everyone for all your positive press, Chris went out a happy man and will forever live on as the(one of) greatest of all time. He would have had it no other way."

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:38:41 AM »
I couldn't believe this when I found out about it. To think he just cleaned himself up and got in possibly the best shape of his career...now this happened   ??? Truly one of the saddest cases as far as wrestling-related deaths go. I saw Chris wrestle many times both live and on TV. Rest in peace & condolences to his family, friends & fans.

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 11:55:38 AM »
wow, thats shocking. when i saw the title of the thread i assumed it was in reference to his career, because thats what i said when i saw his ankle snap on sunday. RIP
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:16:57 PM by -Euthanasia- »

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »
That's a shame. Chris Candido was talented. I remember him in WWF and ECW. RIP.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »
damn shame, R.I.P.