Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #42...  (Read 822 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #42...
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:26:08 PM »
I don't think it's really shocking but there will definetely be some people that think it's way too low.

Elevz

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 04:05:41 AM »
I don't think it's really shocking but there will definetely be some people that think it's way too low.

That's because it's your opinion that put that album #41  ;D

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Raekwon - Only built 4 cuban linx
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
N.W.A - EFIL4ZAGGIN
2Pac - All eyez on me
2Pac - Me against the world
Notorious B.I.G. - Life after death
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg food
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
De La Soul - 3 Feet high and rising
Eazy-E - Eazy-duz-it

Has to be one of those imo... I'll put my money on the Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound albums. Just wondering if Dead Prez will be on the list with Lets Get Free?

Bring on #41!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 04:08:04 AM by Elevz the #1 blunt roller »

::Mr. Hahn::

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 04:17:50 AM »
good read man..u writing this shit up?

Oi, post the album up :P
Currently Training at:
www.VT1GYM.com

Gang Starr

"But they can't take the respect, that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has it's day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth"

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 05:52:15 AM »
great album. I donīt like "I Used To Love H.E.R.", but thatīs a different story. good read once again, keep them coming

damn, expand on this please? im just curious why...I Used To Love HER and Resurrection are probably my faves from this album...dope shit

well, iīm not saying itīs wack, beautiful beat, nice rapping, technically. BUT...I donīt like how people act like Common is kicking the most profound and sophisticated of knowledge when all he really does is demonize and simplify the development of hiphop at the time, sounding pretty lachrymose. Iīm not saying there is no truth to it, but itīs a whiny and not very differentiated statement IMO, but since it takes the words right out of the mouths of half a generation of hiphop heads preoccupied about "not selling out" and "keeping it real", it has made its way to "classic" status. Again, OF COURSE itīs not mere bullshit, OF COURSE Common does have some points, but neither is it very original, nor overly analytical. The message itself is simple and banal and does not impress me at all

the lyrical/poetic side to this track is overrated too. Music as a woman/girl is the oldest metaphor on earth, yet many cats act like it was geniusly creative of Common to come up with that. The way he does it is not bad, yet there are also lines that seem weak in the context of this metaphor...eg "doin her in the park", doesnīt sound like deep love, "now sheīs a gangsta rollin with gangsta bitches", suddenly suggests sheīs male etc...and finally, what i find the overall clumsiest line Common has ever spit is "what Iīm talkin bout yīall is hiphop". DUUUUH. The worst move he could make was explaining a metaphor that was quite fucking obvious as if it were a revelation...that has a bad effect on the whole song.

there is a lot of more universal stuff that i could write pages about based on its relation to this song, but i hope i gave you a basic idea of my opinion and why i have it. and if i donīt like it i donīt like it, that donīt mean that iīm hatin ;) (i do listen to it from time to time too, cause aesthetically itīs very nice)....peace

dexter

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 07:38:37 AM »
Well SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
overrated ::)

-Euthanasia-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 08:21:57 AM »
good song, but he does ruin it with the 'revelation' at the end

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 08:43:29 AM »
Well SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
overrated ::)
iīm not sure if those roll-eyes were supposed to indicate sarcasm.

if yes: please elaborate on you disagreeing

if no: sorry and thank you

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 12:26:34 PM »
great album. I donīt like "I Used To Love H.E.R.", but thatīs a different story. good read once again, keep them coming

damn, expand on this please? im just curious why...I Used To Love HER and Resurrection are probably my faves from this album...dope shit

well, iīm not saying itīs wack, beautiful beat, nice rapping, technically. BUT...I donīt like how people act like Common is kicking the most profound and sophisticated of knowledge when all he really does is demonize and simplify the development of hiphop at the time, sounding pretty lachrymose. Iīm not saying there is no truth to it, but itīs a whiny and not very differentiated statement IMO, but since it takes the words right out of the mouths of half a generation of hiphop heads preoccupied about "not selling out" and "keeping it real", it has made its way to "classic" status. Again, OF COURSE itīs not mere bullshit, OF COURSE Common does have some points, but neither is it very original, nor overly analytical. The message itself is simple and banal and does not impress me at all

the lyrical/poetic side to this track is overrated too. Music as a woman/girl is the oldest metaphor on earth, yet many cats act like it was geniusly creative of Common to come up with that. The way he does it is not bad, yet there are also lines that seem weak in the context of this metaphor...eg "doin her in the park", doesnīt sound like deep love, "now sheīs a gangsta rollin with gangsta bitches", suddenly suggests sheīs male etc...and finally, what i find the overall clumsiest line Common has ever spit is "what Iīm talkin bout yīall is hiphop". DUUUUH. The worst move he could make was explaining a metaphor that was quite fucking obvious as if it were a revelation...that has a bad effect on the whole song.

there is a lot of more universal stuff that i could write pages about based on its relation to this song, but i hope i gave you a basic idea of my opinion and why i have it. and if i donīt like it i donīt like it, that donīt mean that iīm hatin ;) (i do listen to it from time to time too, cause aesthetically itīs very nice)....peace

i don't totally agree with you but that was well put, props, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »
good read man..u writing this shit up?

BTW, I'm not writing all these "reviews".  Some I'll write, some I'll copy and paste points I agree with from difference sources and others like this one from Blaze's "The 10 Defining CD's Of The '90s" I'll just straight copy.

This review here is mostly and copy and paste job and I cut some things out and added some points in.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
i don't totally agree with you but that was well put, props, peace.

thanks, but out of interest and since i know itīs my subjective view on it and differs alot from the general consensus, what particularly do you disagree with and why?