Author Topic: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever  (Read 5098 times)

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 10:33:47 AM »
witty clever u name it!  :D
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

Step

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2005, 04:39:14 PM »
1. Foesum - Perfection

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2005, 02:58:59 AM »
2pac's "All eyez on me" at 28 is a fuckin joke. It's like top 5 material, easily
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
2pac's "All eyez on me" at 28 is a fuckin joke. It's like top 5 material, easily
half of CD 2 is filler

yeah, I would´ve wanted to see Enya too. She´s the queen of real hiphop

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »
half of CD 2 is filler

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
All About You
Got My Mind Made Up
How Do You Want it
2 of Amerika'z Most Wanted
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
Tradin War Stories
California Love
I Ain't Mad at Cha
Can't C Me
Shorty Wanna Be a Thug
Holla At Me
Wonda Why They Call u Bitch
When We Ride
Picture Me Rollin
Check Out Time
Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A.
All Eyez
Run The Streetz
Ain't Hard to Find

U gotta be kiddin me... NO other CD has as many classics on it
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 08:45:54 PM »

It should be higher then 28, but I wouldnt say its top 5 either. Definately top 15 and arguably top 10 even, but not top 5......7 Day Theory, however, is absolutly top 5.

Disc 2 of Eyez does indeed have filler, but there are still alot of bangers on there.....its not nearly as weak as some people make it out to be. Plus, the first disc is nearly flawless, and when you combine that with the fact its one of the most influential hip hop albums ever, you have a landmark achievement. Its still easily the best rap double cd ever IMO, and to be honest, I dont consider ANY album to be flawless.

There is always at least one track on every album that isnt up to par with the others.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:50:46 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 12:30:21 PM »
half of CD 2 is filler

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
All About You
Got My Mind Made Up
How Do You Want it
2 of Amerika'z Most Wanted
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
Tradin War Stories
California Love
I Ain't Mad at Cha
Can't C Me
Shorty Wanna Be a Thug
Holla At Me
Wonda Why They Call u Bitch
When We Ride
Picture Me Rollin
Check Out Time
Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A.
All Eyez
Run The Streetz
Ain't Hard to Find

U gotta be kiddin me... NO other CD has as many classics on it

Since when are "Check Out Time" or "Rather Be Your N.I.G.G.A." classics outside the Pac fan community?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 12:35:09 PM »
^^^ They're not.  He just listed every song he liked from the album and labeled them classics.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
^^^ They're not.  He just listed every song he liked from the album and labeled them classics.

that was what I was trying to suggest. No offense Suffice, but not half of those cuts are classic to people who are just hiphop fans in general and not huge Pac fans in particular

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2005, 04:12:29 PM »
The following songs from AEOM are classic, meaning songs I would give a perfect 5/5 to.

From Disc 1:

Ambitionz Az a Ridah
Got My Mind Made Up
2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
No More Pain
Heartz Of Men
Life Goes On
Only God Can Judge Me
I Aint Mad At Cha

Skandolouz, How Do U Want It, All About U, Tradin War Stories, and Cali Love are all near classic but a notch below the above songs in quality......Whatz Ya Phone # is garbage, im a die hard Pac fan and even I dislike that song.

Disc 2:

Cant C Me
Shortys Gonna Be a Thug
Holla At Me (my fav song on Disc 2)
Wonder Why They Call U Bitch
All Eyez On Me
Heaven Aint Hard To Find

^^^those are the classics on disc 2.......the rest range from very good to below average depending on the song.

So, its not a flawless album by any means. But its influence is undeniable and even the non classic songs have sick beats, so the album is definately a classic.

I can see where Suffice is coming from though......people still play and buy this album as if it were only 2-3 years old, so even the lesser songs are classic in the sense that people gonna be playing them for years to come.

Cant really use the fanbase argument either, because Pac's fanbase is more then likely the largest in hip hop history, thus a good portion of hip hop fans in general are gonna think those songs are classic.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 04:19:37 PM by ImmortalOne »

SGV

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »

Thats what most Pac fans do.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 10:51:34 AM »
ImmortalOne:

you´re not making a bad point, but like you said yourself
im a die hard Pac fan
...personally, I do like Pac, but I´m no die hard fan (I used to be btw, but that was way back) and I listen to basically every stlye of hiphop...IMO, there are about 4-5 5/5 cuts on AEOM and there is below-average filler stuff, and many non-die hard fans think the same. And while the album did have an impact and was/is incredibly popular, I don´t see anything wrong with any album ranked higher in the list. Both quality- and importance-wise they´re on a par or better, none has as much stuff you could call filler, only popularity-wise they might not be as huge as AEOM

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 03:45:43 PM »
ImmortalOne:

you´re not making a bad point, but like you said yourself
im a die hard Pac fan
...personally, I do like Pac, but I´m no die hard fan (I used to be btw, but that was way back) and I listen to basically every stlye of hiphop...IMO, there are about 4-5 5/5 cuts on AEOM and there is below-average filler stuff, and many non-die hard fans think the same. And while the album did have an impact and was/is incredibly popular, I don´t see anything wrong with any album ranked higher in the list. Both quality- and importance-wise they´re on a par or better, none has as much stuff you could call filler, only popularity-wise they might not be as huge as AEOM

There's definatly more then 5 classic songs on AEOM, come on now. Disc 1 by itself got at least 7 flawless songs on it....on the songs I listed, try and find flaws on any of them (especially the ones on Disc 1). You cant.....

Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one). When you combine that, this gotta be a top 15 album. Also, you gotta base this on the test of time factor also.....alot of the old school albums on the list havent aged well, and many of them are dated and its very possible, that 10 years from now, they will almost be completely forgotten about. Pac's albums though, will be passed on from generation to generation, making them timeless.

All this hip hop shit is really subjective though, because everyones tastes are so different. CKnuckles loves old school shit alot. While I respect it, its not really my taste (a few albums, but most of my favs were released 92' or later).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:00:21 PM by ImmortalOne »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2005, 07:15:12 AM »
^^ I see where you´re coming from. The vast majority of MY favs were released 92-97, Mecca & Thev Soul Brother, 36 Chambers, Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords, Makaveli, Illmatic, The Infamous, Hell On Earth, The War Report, The Chronic, Reasonable Doubt, ATLiens, Soul Food, Season Of Da Siccness etc...All of these and many more are albums I def feel more than "Criminal Minded" or "Strictly Business" cause most 80´s shit ("Paid In Full" being the best example of an exception though, that album´s just unfuckwithable) does sound too old to me, too. Still I find Knuckles´ list is fair. There´s only a very few older albums you could have left out, "One For All" and "Breaking Atoms" maybe, but generally they´re all about where they belong.

Now AEOM is full of dope fucking songs, BUT in that entire list it remains the album with the most filler material IMO. There´s no doubt you have to mention it and had Pac compiled the flawless songs on one disc and left the filler stuff out (and don´t tell me "What´s Ya Phone Number" or the 2nd version of "Cali love" ain´t filler), the album would be better. That´s the flaw of AEOM though, even though it´s full of great stuff.

And flawless is not the same as classic. "Season Of Da Siccness" is full of flawless songs, but none of them are classic outside the Sac-town gangsta rap community. Pac fans, no offense, should just get rid of their tendency to label anything they find flawless classic. "Only God Can Judge Me", "Tradin War Stories", "Shorty Wanna Be A Thug" or "Holla At Me" are NOT overall hiphop classics, flawless as they might be

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2005, 06:12:54 PM »
^^^Yea, but Pac's fanbase is just a *LITTLE* larger then Brother Lynch's fanbase  ;)