Author Topic: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever  (Read 5103 times)

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 06:25:25 PM »
Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one)

c'mon now are you serious ? Just look at knuckles list and you see a whole lotta albums wit a bigger impact. Considering how far developed hiphop was when AEOM was released you really can't compare this to shit like paid in full, raising hell, criminal minded, str8 outta cpt, chronic, 36 chambers, great adventures of slick rick ect, albums that build hiphop / established major styles. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »
Quality-wise, there are NOT 27 albums better then this....maybe 10-15 albums. And based on impact ALONE with nothing else considered, this album is top FIVE all time (theres only a handful of hip hop albums that had more impact then this one)

. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

AEOM brought several new things to the table.

First, it was the rap's first double cd ever. Nobody even thought about making a double album until Pac did it and sold 7 million+......year later everyone and their mommas are releasing double albums.

Second, musically it wasnt groundbreaking, but it was the first album to put up MC Hammer type numbers AND maintain hip hop respect. Also, it is arguably the most COMPLETE rap album ever made, the mainstream album every MC that has come out since dreams of making. It was an album made to appeal to a broad audience yet still be loved by street cats. You can say what you want about all the albums that came out before it, but bottomline, this is the blueprint (sorry Jay) for how a mainstream rap album is made nowadays, been that way since 97'. Its just that todays cats dont do it nearly as well as Pac did. Most of the albums on Knuckles list only had impact in the hip hop world....they didnt have the universal appeal that Pac's albums, in particular this one, had. Im not saying its the best rap album ever but its by far the most COMPLETE hip hop album ever made.

Hip hop has been through so many different trends in the last 8 years and yet this album continues to be a standard regardless of how much the rap landscape changes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 08:29:37 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2005, 04:49:41 AM »

. AEOM was a dope album, extremely well known and sold, but musically it was in no way groundbreaking, it didn't bring anything new to the table, neither established anything that wasn't yet popular.

AEOM brought several new things to the table.

First, it was the rap's first double cd ever. Nobody even thought about making a double album until Pac did it and sold 7 million+......year later everyone and their mommas are releasing double albums.

Second, musically it wasnt groundbreaking, but it was the first album to put up MC Hammer type numbers AND maintain hip hop respect. Also, it is arguably the most COMPLETE rap album ever made, the mainstream album every MC that has come out since dreams of making. It was an album made to appeal to a broad audience yet still be loved by street cats. You can say what you want about all the albums that came out before it, but bottomline, this is the blueprint (sorry Jay) for how a mainstream rap album is made nowadays, been that way since 97'. Its just that todays cats dont do it nearly as well as Pac did. Most of the albums on Knuckles list only had impact in the hip hop world....they didnt have the universal appeal that Pac's albums, in particular this one, had. Im not saying its the best rap album ever but its by far the most COMPLETE hip hop album ever made.

Hip hop has been through so many different trends in the last 8 years and yet this album continues to be a standard regardless of how much the rap landscape changes.

I said musically,´as for success and it being a double album might've been major but hiphop is a music culture, not a selling tool (well at least it shouldn't be) so what counts to me is the musical impact. Also snoop for example sold nearly as many copies and got love in the streets, it being a double album was also the reason for the high numbers. That doesn't matter much though, no matter how successfull it was and how much love it got, gangsta rap, conscious rap, political rap, has all been 100% established before this album, production wise it wasn't new either. It couldn't possibly compete with albums that built hiphop and established these styles, AEOM wouldn't even sound the way it sounds if it wasn't for these albums.  hiphop development until '96 is 100 x more important than hiphop development after '96 for hiphop. The changes that albums made until '96 are on a whole nother level than changes that albums from then on, inculding AEOM made.

Even IF it is the blueprint of nowadays mainstream albums, it STILL couldn't possibly compete with those kinda albums I mentioned for the simple fact that mainstream rap since '96 is NOTHING compared to the very foundation of the musical culture, which happened before '96. Musically AEOM didn't bring / established anything new, it was all done before, so at least the albums that did that must necessarily be placed above AEOM whenit comes to impact.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »
^^^Yea, but Pac's fanbase is just a *LITTLE* larger then Brother Lynch's fanbase  ;)

you sure? No, of course that´s a point, but even Pac´s fanbase considering something flawless does not make it a hiphop classic

rafsta

Re: C2Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2005, 05:08:56 AM »
Id have said Safe + Sound was better than 2001

way 2 fonky is better than 2001 aswell..

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2005, 12:27:04 PM »
Ok..I know it's YOUR opinion..
But how can GZA'S - LIQUID SWORDS not be in your top 10  :o  :loco:
Same goes for Doggystyle and No One Can Do It Better

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2005, 02:33:44 PM »

hahaha
Which three albums in my top ten would you take out to get these in?  Let's see your top ten.

Da Flamboyant 1

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »
this immortalone cat is spittin sum truth on u bitches keep it up dogg i got ur back. these niggas hatin on aeom

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2005, 08:54:46 PM »
^^^chillout man....it aint that serious. Just a friendly disagreement.

I dont think they are hating on AEOM, just underrating it.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2005, 10:41:40 AM »

hahaha
Which three albums in my top ten would you take out to get these in?  Let's see your top ten.

My top 10

1. 2 Pac - All Eyez On Me
2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
4. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
5. TQ - They Never Saw Me Coming (not really rap..but yeaah)
6. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
7. GZA - Liquid Swords
8. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
9. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
10. Ghostface (Killah) - The Pretty Toney Album

Other Notable Mentions:
Murs - 3:16 (the 9th Edition)
Westside Connection - Bow Down
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton!
Nas - Illmatic
2 Pac - Me Against The World
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

Ok..I gotta agree I never really listened much to groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions etc. etc.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »
Pretty Toney Album ::)

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2005, 11:33:43 AM »
Yess..
Pretty Toney Album is easily the best album of the last 5 years

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
Yess..
Pretty Toney Album is easily the best album of the last 5 years

no. It´s good but hell naw...even ´04 had better stuff. Plus, it had no such thing as an influence on the rap game

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2005, 12:23:13 PM »
My top 10

3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. GZA - Liquid Swords

Other Notable Mentions:
Nas - Illmatic

Ok..I gotta agree I never really listened much to groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions etc. etc.

hahahaha
You got me.  That is a superior list.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
My top 10

3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. GZA - Liquid Swords

Other Notable Mentions:
Nas - Illmatic

hahahaha
You got me.  That is a superior list.
why are you so arrogant?
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)