Author Topic: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever  (Read 5090 times)

Da Flamboyant 1

Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »
seriously tho this knuckles nigga think he sum shit. nigga complainin sayin his list is his opinion n shit n then he go clownin another niggas list what a fuckin hipokrit

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Knuckles' countdown: The Greatest 50 Hipte-hop Albums Ever
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »
I'm a cocky motherfucker, what can I say.

The guy calls me crazy for my top ten then the kid says TQ and Ghostface albums are more deserving?  Please

Da Flamboyant 1

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »
well dats his opinion jus like u said ur list is ur opinion so if u say that i cant be sayin shit bout ur list then u cant be sayin shit bout his. fuckin white ppl always thinkin they better

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2005, 03:37:43 PM »
well dats his opinion jus like u said ur list is ur opinion so if u say that i cant be sayin shit bout ur list then u cant be sayin shit bout his. fuckin white ppl always thinkin they better
c'mon now, don't turn this into black/white thing, it has nothing to do with this
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

mauzip

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
Ok..I know it's YOUR opinion..
But how can GZA'S - LIQUID SWORDS not be in your top 10  :o  :loco:
Same goes for Doggystyle and No One Can Do It Better

hahaha
Which three albums in my top ten would you take out to get these in?  Let's see your top ten.

My top 10

1. 2 Pac - All Eyez On Me
2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
4. The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
5. TQ - They Never Saw Me Coming (not really rap..but yeaah)
6. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
7. GZA - Liquid Swords
8. Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
9. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
10. Ghostface (Killah) - The Pretty Toney Album

Other Notable Mentions:
Murs - 3:16 (the 9th Edition)
Westside Connection - Bow Down
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton!
Nas - Illmatic
2 Pac - Me Against The World
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

Ok..I gotta agree I never really listened much to groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Boogie Down Productions etc. etc.

You get a prop from me.

I'm a cocky motherfucker, what can I say.

The guy calls me crazy for my top ten then the kid says TQ and Ghostface albums are more deserving? Please

Well, They Never Saw Me Coming is not a hip hop album, but it's flawless. It's absolutely incredible. Top notch production, great guest appearances and one hell of a singer. Two if you include Ericka Yancey.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 03:53:48 PM by E Pluribus Unum: Mauzip »

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2005, 04:22:30 PM »
My top 10, no specific order:

7 Day Theory
Illmatic
OB4CL
Aquemini
Doggystyle
Chronic
Wu Tang Forever (this shoulda made the top 50 at least somewhere IMO...it didnt have as much impact as 36 Chambers but I honestly believe it to be a better album, musically and lyrically)
Me Against the World (another album that shoulda been in the top 50...this is at least as good as AEOM if not superior. Eyez had better production and more impact, but this was Pac's most introspective and personal work by far)
E.1999 Eternal (also shoulda made the top 50, put the midwest on the map before Nelly or Eminem were even a figment of peoples imaginations)
Death Certificate

its all a matter of taste but honestly, I think all these albums can definatly be argued as being top 10 material.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 04:27:19 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »
^^ Wu-Tang Forever: No, top 50 maayyybe, but thereīs more important stuff that has been left out. Few people think itīs better than 36 Chambers and although its a great album but disc 2 wasnīt flawless at all, disc 1 almost maybe

MATW: Top 10, no. Only to Pac fans. Top 50 ok

E.1999: Hell no. Only BTNH fans consider that classic, I know so many real hiphop heads who donīt give a shit about any Bone Thugs...and I really like them, personally

the rest I can see, even though my top 10 would be different. But putting E.1999 above something like "Great Adventures" or "Paid In Full" would be, no offense, fuckin crazy

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2005, 02:12:34 AM »
^^^ Listen to 36 Chambers and Wu Forever back to back......Wu Forever is EASILY the better album lyrically and musically, regardless of how much impact 36 had. Yea, it has some filler, but overall, I think it was a better and more well rounded effort then their debut. "Triumph", "Older Gods", "Impossible", and "Reunited" are all so much more musically and lyrically advanced then any song on 36 Chambers, its not even funny. Its kinda the same situation with All Eyez On Me vs 7 Day Theory......Eyez had more impact, but which is the better album quality wise?? Most heads, Pac or otherwise, will tell you 7 Day Theory is Pac's masterpiece.

MATW only top 10 to Pac fans?? I see it in many hip hop heads top 10, in fact, its probably the Pac album I see in peoples top 10 the most often (though I personally rate it as Pac's #2 album behind 7 Day Theory). Also, how do you separate a Pac head from a so-called "real hip hop head"?? Last I checked, Pac was the best selling hip hop artist of all time, and more then likely, has the most amount of fans of any rap artist ever.

E.1999 Eternal gotta be a top 50 album.....thats the album that put the midwest on the map, and every track was a banger. They brought a style that so many cats would try to bite, its ridiculous. Plus, it has what is arguably rap's biggest hit ever on it, Tha Crossroads. The only people that would totally hate this album are people with VERY biased taste to old school rap that think they know more then everyone else (but really dont). Album is a classic, nuff said.

And I know im gonna upset Knuckles and all the other old school headz here, but Great Adventures and Paid In Full are OVERRATED.....yea, they were impactful for their time and set standards to come, but both (especially Paid In Full) are extremely outdated musically, and not really relevent anymore. You aint gonna see cats cranking up "My Melody" in the ride......
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 02:15:52 AM by ImmortalOne »

Da Flamboyant 1

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2005, 02:44:35 AM »
that aint true my nig we still be bumpin dat paid in full especially da remix shits bangin

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2005, 03:06:46 AM »
I also still bump that Paid in Full album...
Maybe that album had more influence on the rap game than the pretty toney album, but my top 10 is 'bout the music I LIKE, not the music that I THINK have influenced hip-hop music!

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2005, 08:32:37 AM »
^^ yeah, in that sense, I wonīt complain bout your top 10, not a bad taste actually

^^^ Listen to 36 Chambers and Wu Forever back to back......Wu Forever is EASILY the better album lyrically and musically, regardless of how much impact 36 had. Yea, it has some filler, but overall, I think it was a better and more well rounded effort then their debut. "Triumph", "Older Gods", "Impossible", and "Reunited" are all so much more musically and lyrically advanced then any song on 36 Chambers, its not even funny. Its kinda the same situation with All Eyez On Me vs 7 Day Theory......Eyez had more impact, but which is the better album quality wise?? Most heads, Pac or otherwise, will tell you 7 Day Theory is Pac's masterpiece.

MATW only top 10 to Pac fans?? I see it in many hip hop heads top 10, in fact, its probably the Pac album I see in peoples top 10 the most often (though I personally rate it as Pac's #2 album behind 7 Day Theory). Also, how do you separate a Pac head from a so-called "real hip hop head"?? Last I checked, Pac was the best selling hip hop artist of all time, and more then likely, has the most amount of fans of any rap artist ever.

E.1999 Eternal gotta be a top 50 album.....thats the album that put the midwest on the map, and every track was a banger. They brought a style that so many cats would try to bite, its ridiculous. Plus, it has what is arguably rap's biggest hit ever on it, Tha Crossroads. The only people that would totally hate this album are people with VERY biased taste to old school rap that think they know more then everyone else (but really dont). Album is a classic, nuff said.

And I know im gonna upset Knuckles and all the other old school headz here, but Great Adventures and Paid In Full are OVERRATED.....yea, they were impactful for their time and set standards to come, but both (especially Paid In Full) are extremely outdated musically, and not really relevent anymore. You aint gonna see cats cranking up "My Melody" in the ride......

1. I agree on the lyrical part, musically....not really IMO. You can argue it was more advanced, but it wasnīt that grimey angry-street-nigga fury theyīd unleashed on the world on 36 Chambers anymore. They had undoubtedly improved, but it did not strike the listener the same as their first. Plus, IMO they should have put out a 70-minute one-disc album, just like Pac shouldīve done it with AEOM. I can see itīs top 50 but top 10 naaw. Top 10 HAS TO HAVE HAD a considerable impact, because thereīs a lot of top notch shit you could say deserves to be top 10 merely because of its quality

2. When did I seperate Pac fans from real hiphop heads?? Iīm just saying that people who donīt listen to Pac more than to several other artists donīt usually put MATW top 10. Thatīs how I see it at least.

3. BTNH sounded a lot like older stuff too when they came out. They didnīt invent a style...they might have been important for the midwest, ok. But "Crossroads" biggest rap song ever? HELL NO.

4. Look, if you donīt listen to 80īs stuff, fine. Me too, I prefer the 90īs and an album like "Criminal Minded" is not one I canīt get enough of...but saying that shit is not important today is just ignorant. A lot of people still bump it, rap artists keep sampling "Paid In Full" (probably the most sampled hiphop record ever), they rap by a scheme that Rakim fucking brought into hiphop, they use the techniques from back then...and some people do listen to it, even younger cats. But most importantly, EVERY rap record today feeds off Paid In Full and a bunch of other 80īs classics, since they introduced to hiphop what is normal today. Not relevant anymore, you bet your ass they are.

ripthejacker

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2005, 04:39:31 PM »
hey just wondering just a lil wondering you know yeah just a lil but ummm what about bonethugs n harmoney cause ie top  see that they wernt on the top 50

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2005, 05:04:07 PM »
^^ yeah, in that sense, I wonīt complain bout your top 10, not a bad taste actually

1. I agree on the lyrical part, musically....not really IMO. You can argue it was more advanced, but it wasnīt that grimey angry-street-nigga fury theyīd unleashed on the world on 36 Chambers anymore. They had undoubtedly improved, but it did not strike the listener the same as their first. Plus, IMO they should have put out a 70-minute one-disc album, just like Pac shouldīve done it with AEOM. I can see itīs top 50 but top 10 naaw. Top 10 HAS TO HAVE HAD a considerable impact, because thereīs a lot of top notch shit you could say deserves to be top 10 merely because of its quality

2. When did I seperate Pac fans from real hiphop heads?? Iīm just saying that people who donīt listen to Pac more than to several other artists donīt usually put MATW top 10. Thatīs how I see it at least.

3. BTNH sounded a lot like older stuff too when they came out. They didnīt invent a style...they might have been important for the midwest, ok. But "Crossroads" biggest rap song ever? HELL NO.

4. Look, if you donīt listen to 80īs stuff, fine. Me too, I prefer the 90īs and an album like "Criminal Minded" is not one I canīt get enough of...but saying that shit is not important today is just ignorant. A lot of people still bump it, rap artists keep sampling "Paid In Full" (probably the most sampled hiphop record ever), they rap by a scheme that Rakim fucking brought into hiphop, they use the techniques from back then...and some people do listen to it, even younger cats. But most importantly, EVERY rap record today feeds off Paid In Full and a bunch of other 80īs classics, since they introduced to hiphop what is normal today. Not relevant anymore, you bet your ass they are.

If Crossroads aint the biggest rap song ever, its easily top 3......I still remember when that shit came out in 96', it got more burn then even Cali Love or Killing Me Softly did, which were its biggest competition at the time. Plus, the single alone sold like over 3 million. Shit was friggin HUGE, it even broke a Beatles record.

And who did Bone sound like back then?? Nobody was flowing like that at the time, and if they were, it doesnt really matter because it was without question Bone who popularized it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 05:05:49 PM by ImmortalOne »

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2005, 05:05:03 PM »
Tha Crossroads broke the Beatles record 4 fastest rising single.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2005, 05:06:42 PM »
Tha Crossroads broke the Beatles record 4 fastest rising single.

Yep.

I think that fact alone makes it the biggest rap hit of all time. Not even Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Puffy, and other huge names can make such a claim. I wouldnt say its the best ever, but as far as commercial success goes, its pretty much unfuckwithable.