Author Topic: PS3 vs X-Box 360 (specs)  (Read 824 times)

Jome

Re: PS3 vs X-Box 360 (specs)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »
PS3: Will come in 2 versions, one that will have a 160GB harddisk, and one that will have a 400GB harddisk and can burn BluRay disks.
XBox: Will come in 2 versions, one with 20GB harddisk, and another one with 40GB.

Seems like Sony wants to beat Microsoft in every possible area.
400GB + BluRay burner..  :o

Thirteen

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 07:10:18 PM »
why burn blu ray when the format is dead?

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »
PS3: Will come in 2 versions, one that will have a 160GB harddisk, and one that will have a 400GB harddisk and can burn BluRay disks.
XBox: Will come in 2 versions, one with 20GB harddisk, and another one with 40GB.

Seems like Sony wants to beat Microsoft in every possible area.
400GB + BluRay burner..  :o

how much more will the ps3 cost then, thats what im worried bout

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 08:35:47 PM »
XBox 360 looks like my choice
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Don Seer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »

for me it all comes down to storage either way.. i've got an xbox fitted with a 320gb drive right now, setup as my media centre

whereas i've got my data on a PC in my garage and stream the media from there  ;)

so its pretty much stays where i download it to

Don't forget that Sony's XDR Ram is a lot faster than the GDDR RAM, so PS3 have the advantage in ALL power-related areas..
It remains to be seen if Sony can match XBox360's game titles though, seems like Microsoft did their job getting games for the new console.

no.. you are over simplifing the specs..

all i have to say is go to google, type in "Xbox 360 PS3 comparison" and you'll get a shitload of nerd websites where they wax philosophical about which one is more powerful... Overseer's conclusion is closest to that of the nerds... they say that the processing power for the PS3 is far better, but something about the RAM on the xbox makes it easier to process the same graphics at with lower processing speed

anyways, what i found weird is Sony's PSP can be hooked up to the Xbox 360 just like it was a hooking up to a computer

PS3 could suffer from texture thrashing..  PS3 _CANNOT_ keep all its textures in the same memory used by the video card, XBOX can...

PS3s secondary 'processing memory' is the same speed as the xbox's as opposed to its GPU memory which is faster..

textures are going to have to be copied between the two.. any decent programmer will tell you that WRITE operations are _very_ costly.

because PS3 has less video memory available any textures etc stored in memory not in the GPU half need be copied which involves a WRITE..

with XBOX360 the data will already been in memory and can be used..

this means with playstation programmers have to be careful about where they store their textures.. with xbox the have a far greater level of control and quicker access to it..

in fact.. the PS3 is more like the old xbox architecture, and xbox have moved on to a more flexible platform.

like i said.. xbox seems more flexible

i'm also sure PS3 is gonna be pricey... sony have gone all out for the 'best' shit.. microsoft have been more restrained
some of the stuff on PS3 seems overkill..

i dont know much about the processor technology used in PS3 to compare properly.. anyone got a link?

Jome

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 06:39:46 AM »
no.. you are over simplifing the specs

No, the only area where XBox will be close, is in the gfx card department..
It's the usual ATI vs. Nvidia battle, and they usually end up very close..

Sony's RAM is better, HDD bigger, CPU faster, resolution is a little better, audio/network the same, Bluetooth 2.0 better than RF..

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 07:10:37 AM »
The price is a real concern. I really can't be stuffed analyzing specs, u still get shitty games on nextgen consoles. Can't wait though.

Got alot from Overseer's posts, thanks dude.

The problems u have outlined reminds me of the problems ppl mentioned w/ the PS2.

Trauma-san

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »
Hey, I gotta question... who's ready to spend 500 bucks for a pS3? 500 bucks is the CONSERVATIVE, HOPEFULL estimate of what it'll cost. 

there ain't a chance in HELL I'm spending that much for a video game system. 

Thirteen

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 10:03:54 AM »
anyways, these specs are the "best of" how much do you want to bet that hardly any of the companies fully use this technology

they haven't even designed a game that pushes the current Xbox, what makes akes you think that they are going to have something taht pushes the PS3?

it's like putting a jet engine in a nissan ultima... it's costly as hell, sure it has the potential....but you're never going to use it

and a blu ray disc burner.... wooo hoooo, the only machine that's gonna use blu ray will be the PS3....

looks like i'll be picking up the PS3 last

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 10:28:33 AM »

btw.. is there any truth in the rumours that BOTH are backwards compatible?

PS3 is but the xbox developer are still thinkin about it and tryin to figure out if its even possible

and the specs i get almost all of them i think the ps3 is just the shit compared to the BoX i like the wireless controler shit for the ps3 but im a lil sceptical about it other then that shit is crazy

Don Seer

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 11:15:39 AM »

Sony's RAM is better, HDD bigger, CPU faster, resolution is a little better, audio/network the same, Bluetooth 2.0 better than RF..

Sony's RAM is NOT better.. they have the same speed stuff but half as much..

how is half of the same damn thing BETTER?

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 11:35:13 AM »

Jome doesn't understand you're a programmer

like Needles said, PS3 will be the last system im going to pick up..gonna have to wait for it to come down in price
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

wilz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 03:42:16 PM »
didn't ya'll see the pics? xbox controllers gonna be wireless to.

I'll be picking up the Xbox first fo sure. anyone got a price on it yet?

[img]

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 04:16:08 PM »
didn't ya'll see the pics? xbox controllers gonna be wireless to.

I'll be picking up the Xbox first fo sure. anyone got a price on it yet?

well it is coming out 6 months before PS3 so i think everyone will be gettin xbox 360 first before getting the PS3

PS3>>>>>XBOX360
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Jome

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2005, 05:16:49 PM »

How do they got half as much, it's 2x256 = 512 = same amount as XBox, except that 256 of it is XDR RAM.  ??

I'm no RAM expert, but I have yet to see a article that doesn't say that XDR is not faster/better than GDDR.
You say ps3 has half as much dedicated video memory, but what's the remaining 256 for then.. ???

Jome doesn't understand you're a programmer

Programming and hardware is 2 different things, not always connected.  8)

why burn blu ray when the format is dead?

As of right now, BluRay is closer than ever to becoming the next video standard, how can you say it's dead when it haven't hit the mass market yet.. ?
HD-DVD seems to be losing out, Hitachi even agreed to co-operate with Sony, and BluRay got far more support than HD-DVD in the industry..