Author Topic: What Should I Blow My Money On??  (Read 294 times)

ecrazy

What Should I Blow My Money On??
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »
Producers and music makers, help me out here...Im looking for a MPC Based MIDI Controller, ive found 2...i dunno which is best, help me out here:

Contestant #1 - AKAI MPD16

Specs:

* 16 original MPC pads (velocity and pressure sensitive)
    * 2 switchable banks
    * MPC’s 16-Levels and Full Level features
    * Slider sending continuous controller data
    * MIDI and/or USB operation
    * Powered via USB cable (or optional AC adaptor)
    * Free set-up utility software for Windows, Mac OS 9 and OS X

Specifications
Pads    16 x 2 banks. Velocity sensitive MPC-style pads
Keys    Full Level    All pads to maximum output velocity (127)
   16 Levels    Each pad offers progressive level for the last selected/used pad
   Bank    Selects the pad bank
   Active    Enables the slider
Controls    Assignable slider
Connections    MIDI out    

Contestant # 2 - M-Audio Trigger Finger

Specs:

16 velocity and pressure-sensitive pads
   individual assignable pressure on each pad
   8 assignable knobs, 4 assignable faders
   pre-programmed maps for Live, Reason, GM Drum, XG Drum, and iDrum
   powered from USB connection or optional DC power supply
   includes free Ableton Live Lite 4
       On-Board Memory, Online Storage

My older Bro is givin me his old G4, and Im gonna buy Digital Performer, and ive seen people use both of theses at school, but i could never get any imput or advice from them because they only spoke japanese. So any producers help me out, or give me some advice on where to go..Thanks, peace

We Fly High

Re: What Should I Blow My Money On??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:24 AM »
could never get any imput or advice from them because they only spoke japanese.

thats hilarious. hahaha.
wait is the mpd just like the mpc but its like laptop compatible or something?

ecrazy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:05:55 AM »
^^MIDI is way different than an MPC, since there are like set keys and stuff, i guess you can say its like an MPC for computers only.......It kinda works how a keyboard is used to key in letters and numbers, its used to key in sounds, but with a different feel than regualr midi controllers, cuz most midi controllers are like mini keyboards

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 03:19:30 AM »

what about a sampling keyboard? instead of a drum machine.. you'll get more synth abilities then..

over here the ensoniq asr-10 is what basement hiphop producers use..

what are your needs?

hope glimmers

• 'G'
  • thats me
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »

what about a sampling keyboard? instead of a drum machine.. you'll get more synth abilities then..

over here the ensoniq asr-10 is what basement hiphop producers use..

what are your needs?

the synthesizing keyboards def you give you a lot more options than you think, they hav e everything on them nowadays.
love stinks yeah yeah

ecrazy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 02:36:28 PM »
ASR is outta the picture because that is WAAY More than im willing to spend, My budget is $300 just for the pads, Ive used the ASR @ school, i like it, but im liking the feel of pads more than keys, ive been messin with my friends MPC for a while now and i came to the conclusion that i want either an MPC or something similar that i can use on my computer with Digital performer, since its the only software i know and i dont feel like learning how to use anything else, because it comes very simple with DP (at least to me)

Suga Foot

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 04:00:49 PM »
Whatever you feel most comfortable using will get you a better finished product in the end.

I personally don't like MPC's, so I don't use em.  I use various software and keyboards.  I biult my own templates and sounds over time.  I've got over 2000 drum samples.  You just gotta do what works for you.

ecrazy

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »
^^ya, but another thing is, hardly anyone on any music forum that i ask on, uses Digital Performer, Everyone Seems to use Reason for some reason....but yea, i want to also see which is also compatable and/or user friendly with DP....thats one HUGE question i left out...Has anyone here used DP before or very familiar with it?

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »
it doesn't matter if a lot of other people use it.  Just do what works for you.  As far as compatibility, just talk to the guy before you buy it.

oh and check me out:

http://www.smfhost.com/crookedi/crookedi_boom_boom_clap_instrumental_adon.mp3

ecrazy

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 04:45:23 PM »
it doesn't matter if a lot of other people use it. Just do what works for you. As far as compatibility, just talk to the guy before you buy it.

oh and check me out:

http://www.smfhost.com/crookedi/crookedi_boom_boom_clap_instrumental_adon.mp3

ya see, im going to prob. buy it online since Its WAAAY Cheaper than the guitar center prices at the store, you know what, i aint doin shit right now, im going to go there right now and just talk to the dude about it, thanks suga foot and dope track btw, u remade the instrumental or did crooked i use your instrumental?

Suga Foot

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 07:03:21 PM »
I just remade the beat and someone at westcoastdynasty hosted it and posted it up there as the unofficial instrumental, since the real one isn't available yet.

ecrazy

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 07:36:32 PM »
Guy @ the Guitar center said the "GUY" who knows all the software programs for Macs comes in on tuesday, and to ask for him...LAME!!!

Acgrundy

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 10:12:35 PM »
I think you should blow your money on hookers and cocaine.  that would be one helluva weekend.

Prolific

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 12:33:35 PM »
Cop that Trigger Finger...I know alot of cats are using it with reason and their shit is tighter than ever...I've heard alot of good things I was just gonna stick with my keyboard but I'm probably gonna get one in a week or two...

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
From a personal perspective I think the pads on the MPC would take some beating just for the feeling you get from them, dunno if the MPD replicates them exactly or not though, I would guess so as its still made by Akai. I'd just go and try out both of your options, and see which one suits you better, I'm sure both of them are easily MIDI compliant and will probably both work with the software you using.