Author Topic: For everybody who doesn't like modern day rap and thinks it's getting worst....  (Read 493 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
i strongly disagree.....u really cant compare rap from early 90s to now
sorry i just dont see your point of view

name 5 albums that came out post 1997 that u can call hip hop classics???....either coasts!!

peace

The word classic is ALLLLLL subjective, and that is somethin that nobody will ever agree on. And I bet you anything, it's people, especially in the south, who will spit 10 classics to you easily, and you might not agree with them at all. These are the albums since 1997 that I have heard many people around the nation consider to be classics...not sayin that I agree with them at all, but this is what I hear...

Blueprint
TI - Urban Legend
Nas - Stillmatic
Common - Be
Nas - Street's disciple
Kanye West - College Dropout
Dre 2001
Outkast - The love below/speakerboxx
DMX - It's dark and hell is hot
DJ Quik - Rhythmalism
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Scarface - The fix
50 Cent - Get rich or die tryin
Game - The Documentary

So these are albums that many people will say are classic...I agree with some, disagree strong with some, and some I can see why they feel that way even though I don't. Everybody, especially rap fans, tend to feel as if their opinion is most important, and that whatever they feel is right is the only right, and that if people don't agree with them, they are idiots, which is why they spend hours on sites like this arguin to make people believe em.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:29:50 AM by R-Tistic.com »

Rican

• Muthafuckin' OG
i think one question should prolly settle this....

DO YOU THINK 5 YRS FROM NOW YOURE GONNA SAY TO YOURSELF, DAMN THE DOCUMENTARY WAS HOT, WHY DONT THEY MAKE THAT KINDA SHIT ANYMORE!!

i dont

peace

Exactly!!! Ahahahahahahahahaha

SGV

YEAH!  OKAY!  WHAT!

if it weren't for GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-UNIT I would have no reason to live.

BTW:  I'm camping out at Tower Records this Thursday until the Lil Jon/Nelly collabo album drops.  If anyone wants to join me I'll be wearing the pink shirt with a GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-Unit beanie and have lots of rubberbands around my wrists.  And I will be doing the running man the entire time I'm in line.
Not shoppin' at VIP no more? I thought you were trying to see your Favorite Gangsta Rappers at Snoops favorite Record store!

On The Edge of Insanity

The truth of the matter is that rap was better from 88-96 than it has been since. In that time period, you had loads of people coming out with different styles, and through programs like Yo MTV Raps, and that hiphop show on BET, they were getting play on tv just because they were dope, not because they had some marketing scheme behind them. Therefore, we were subjected to a greater range of dope acts in that period, and people weren't afraid to experiment because they knew it was still possible to get radio/tv play of their singles. Nowadays money rules the world, and therefore in order to get onto radio/tv in the first place, most rap/hiphop artists need to be on a major, and then secondly have a song which is considered to have a broad enough appeal to be played. It has become corporate, and therefore everyone trys to follow the same threads and this is the surefire way of getting noticed. Its not to say that there aren't innovative hiphop artists/groups, its just that the ones that are don't get much radio/tv play. If you searched for it hard enough you could probably find a lot of dope material, but it doesn't get any radio/tv play so you have to actively go and find new artists to listen to, rather than them being handed to you on a plate. There certainly isn't as much quality music as there was between 88-96 cause too many people trying to fit in with the latest trends, but there is still enough for me to be satisfied with hiphop at the moment.

Acgrundy

Not shoppin' at VIP no more? I thought you were trying to see your Favorite Gangsta Rappers at Snoops favorite Record store!

You think any kids at my highschool go to VIP?  Shit I wouldn't be caught dead there, imagine the rumors that could spread around school.  Tower Records is whats CRACKIN!  Not only do they have all the top 10 cd's discounted down from $19.99 to $19.95, but they also have the coolest GGGGGGGGGGG-UNIT posters.  and I hear rumors at school that Nelly is supposed to make a special guest autograph appearance soon  :o :o :o :o

SGV

Do you guys think Busy Bee or Melle Mel or Grandmaster Caz were happy with groups like N.W.A. or an artist like Jay-Z? Probably not. Hip Hop to them was about having fun and respecting the art form. So to them, anything after 88 was probably wack. Just like how most people, nowadays, think anything after 96 is wack. Most of us grew up in the 88-96 era, so thats OUR Golden Era. To old School heads, Early to late 80s was THEIR Golden Era.

Just sit for a minute and think about that. As wack as we think Hip Hop is today, Hip Hop of our years was just as wack to the Older heads then.

You think any kids at my highschool go to VIP? Shit I wouldn't be caught dead there, imagine the rumors that could spread around school. Tower Records is whats CRACKIN! Not only do they have all the top 10 cd's discounted down from $19.99 to $19.95, but they also have the coolest GGGGGGGGGGG-UNIT posters. and I hear rumors at school that Nelly is supposed to make a special guest autograph appearance soon :o :o :o :o
You must be the most popular 27 year old in your High School! Bangin' all the 15 year old chicks! Good job!

Acgrundy

You goddamn right.

SGV

Good Job!

Acgrundy

You are a great mentor.

SGV

You're not wearing Dickies like me, you're wearing G-Unit Jeans and Sneakers. Like I said, Ralph Malph, you can't be as cool as me.

PLANT

Rap/HipHop music as a whole was not commercial back then and the artists were free to do and express what they wanted more or less.  Nowadays Rap is the best selling  genre of music and image is more important than the music.  Its all about the money.  Once that money starts rollling in, I wouldnt expect most people to do things to make less of it, only more.  Over the last couple years Ive gained a lot of respect for artists like Kanye, Common, John Legend, De la Soul ect. who created a sound on their own and stay true to what they do for the most part.  I must say, even tho I bump alot of "mainstream" music, the formula of Clubs + Bottles + Bitches + Money & Cars is getting so tired and I cant even relate to 90% of the rap music coming out now.  

SGV

I must say, even tho I bump alot of "mainstream" music, the formula of Clubs + Bottles + Bitches + Money & Cars is getting so tired and I cant even relate to 90% of the rap music coming out now.  

You mean to tell me, you don't relate to Clubs and Bitches at 20+? But, yet, you related to Gang Bangin' and Sellin' drugs when you were about 10? I highly doubt that.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Do you guys think Busy Bee or Melle Mel or Grandmaster Caz were happy with groups like N.W.A. or an artist like Jay-Z? Probably not. Hip Hop to them was about having fun and respecting the art form. So to them, anything after 88 was probably wack. Just like how most people, nowadays, think anything after 96 is wack. Most of us grew up in the 88-96 era, so thats OUR Golden Era. To old School heads, Early to late 80s was THEIR Golden Era.

Just sit for a minute and think about that. As wack as we think Hip Hop is today, Hip Hop of our years was just as wack to the Older heads then.

Basically the truth and point of the thread.

PLANT

I go to clubs, and have a girlfriend....But I dont relate to "Getting Crunk" doing "A Town Stomps" and Pouringout Hennessy....Ill leave that up to you SGV....

You really need to get a life man.  

SGV

I go to clubs, and have a girlfriend....But I dont relate to "Getting Crunk" doing "A Town Stomps" and Pouringout Hennessy....Ill leave that up to you SGV....

You really need to get a life man.  
LOL.  So you don't relate to getting Crunk, but you relate to keepin' it Gangsta?

I got a life, it's much more exciting than yours.