Author Topic: how many mics did eazy-e get?  (Read 1119 times)

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
how many mics did eazy-e get?
« on: July 14, 2002, 09:45:58 AM »
how maany mics did all of eazy-es cdz get?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: how many mics did eazy-e get?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 07:06:24 PM »
Only album to get reviewed was St8 Off Tha Muthaphukkin' Streetz Of Compton, 'cause the other two they could have reviewed were EPs, which they don't do. They didn't re-review Eazy Does It either, but I don't know what they gave Str8 Off.........

tnp

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 07:43:20 PM »
It's On (Dr. Dre 187) Killa got 2 1/2 mics, with the following review:
The Source December 1993 issue
Production: Rhythm D, DJ Yella, Cold 187um, Solid Productions
Well well well. The hip-hop thugster Eazy E has returned, minus three niggas but still with much attitude. It appears that our diminutive chap didn't appreciate getting broken off something proper on Dre's Chronic album ("Eazy E can eat a big fat dick") so he has decided to devote the majority of his latest EP to pulling a few cards of his own. Eazy's argument is clear and to the point, accusing Dre of being: 1) a studio gangsta; 2) not owning Death Row Records; 3) having to give most of the proceeds from The Chronic to Ruthless Records; and 4) being threatened by his new business partners. I don't know where Eric gets these stories from (it's not what you know, it's what you can prove) but the bottom line here is how good a record you can make. And considering  that 1993 was all about Death Row, it doesn't seem likely that anyone could make a record or say anything that would diminish Dre's achievements.
  But everybody has to respond to getting dissed on wax, and Eazy wastes no time going for his. But for the sake of the memory of NWA's contribution to hip-hop, maybe he should have let it go. Eazy simply does not possess the ammunition to win this battle and he plays himself in the attempt.
  Eazy tries to dip into Dre's patented formula of "G-Funk" (synthesized melodies with high end flourishes) but instead comes up with a trunkload of half-hearted mediocrity. Perhaps realizing that without Dre behind the mixing board and the rest of the crew leading him along, many people wouldn't be interested in hearing him drop lyrics for a whole record, Eazy recruits a few rappers sentenced to Ruthless Records (Kokane, Cold 187um, BG Knocc Out) to help out. Unfortunately they aren't much help at all; their uninspired performances fail to save his ass on this record. Eazy really seems to be having a hard time staying on beat nowadays, and his delivery--which was once passionate, unique and endearing--now sounds like the last gasps of a defeated man just going through the motions.
   And production-wise, when you consider the slew of talented West Coast Producers currently available (DJ Quik, EA Ski & CMT, QD III, Ant Banks, etc.) couldn't Eazy have gotten a higher profile personality than DJ Yella, the man who is most famous for making it a cappella for a second on "Express Yourself"? But if you're a die hard NWA fan you will pick the record up anyway. And you will be rewarded on the three cuts (out of nine) where Eazy manages to pull it together.
  "Down 2 tha Last Roach" is a seven minute psychedelic tribute to weed, complete with a distorted musical track and off-the-wall rhymes. And, of course, Dre's damaging admission from "Express Yourself" ("I still express/Yo I don't smoke weed or cess") opens the song. "It's On" stands out not because of it's subject matter (that Dre and Snoop are busters), but rather because Eazy surprisingly manages to stay on beat for the entire song. The EP's best cut, a 1993 remix of "Boyz-N-Tha Hood," sadly describes Eazy's post NWA career. With its all-new musical arrangements (courtesy of Solid Productions) and slight lyrical changes, it is a pleasant trip down memory lane, but it just reminds you of how good things were way back when. Those classic days when Eazy, Ice Cube and Ren kicked unrelenting gangsta rhymes over classic Dre beats. But that was a long time ago. Today it is apparent that without the original crew to back him up, Eazy E is about as appealing as KFC without the Colonel's herbs and spices.
Written by The Derelict Todd B.

peace,
tnp

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 07:56:53 PM »
LMAO...you must be kidding me..."It's on" was a classic...

I hope they went back and re-reviewed that...

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 08:09:30 PM »
JESUS they shitted on Eazy-E if thatz the real reveiw... but god dam they were on death rows nuts

tnp

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2002, 08:26:51 PM »
That's the real review. This is the Source, so what do you expect?  Even they were on DR's nuts in 93 (as was everyone else)

peace,
tnp

budsmokeronly

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 06:28:40 AM »
the source is fuckin wack

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2002, 01:57:13 PM »
The Source has never gave Eazy respect.  They never even mentioned that he came out with a new album.  Even though it was only a few unreleased verses, they could have at least mentioned it.  BTW...I've got that issue of The Source somewhere that has the Str8 off the Streetz review in it, but I can't find it.  I'm pretty sure they gave it 3 1/2 mics though.  Fuck The Source!

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 03:53:16 PM »
Fuck The Source...like there is a better mag out there than The Source.  Not everyone agrees with every review (for me it's 3.5 mics for Restless and 5 for Life After Death plus various others) but every mag and website has reviews you that you will disagree with.  XXL does not have nearly the amount of content and dope features that The Source has and Vibe has too much R&B and others just aren't large enough to have enough info, news, interviews, etc. (Murder Dog is the wackest mag ever).  

Quit bashing on the mag cause it's number one.

However they have lost a lot of balls over the last four years.

tnp

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2002, 04:20:44 PM »
St8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphu**in' Compton got 3 1/2 mics...the review:

Production: DJ Yella, Bobcat, Naughty by Nature, Tony G, Stone the Lunatic
The question will no doubt be raised in smoky hip-hop ciphers. After a listen to the not-so-bad last album of AIDS victim Eazy E, you gotta wonder: "Was Eric Wright like an urban Nostradamus, predicting his own seperation from the physical world?" Listen to Eazy's haunting opening lines: "I am the Resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he dies, lives, and whoever lives and believes in me, shall never die. Fear not them which kill the body, rather fear him which is able to destroy both body and soul in hell." That eerie descent into the cryptic underworld is one of the major themes on Str8 Off Tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin' Compton, a collection of songs recorded before Eazy died.
  Str8 Off...delivers what will most likely be the last testament in the "Dre vs. Eazy" series of put-downs, so get your final "Damn that was a cold rhyme" fixes here. In addition to the dissing of Death Row on the searing church organ cut "Wut Would You Do," on "Ole School Shit," Eazy boasts: "See I was the captain and Dre was my sidekick/Everything was cool until he wanted to get what I get." The Big Daddy Kane feel of "Hit the Hooker" finds Eazy flowing like water, thankfully not trying to catch up with the beat. His slow, rolling drawl--part urban, part Compton country boy--is what always made Eazy's MCing special. Tracks like the snail-paced "The Muthaphukkin' Real," with a guest apperance by MC Ren, provide just the right speed for the vocal endeavours of Compton's finest.
  Str8 Off...is loaded with trademark Eazy sexcapades, "Nuts on Ya Chin," the intricacies of getting drunk, "Sippin' on a 40" and the obviously very personal "Fuck My Baby's Mama." Eazy even dreams of smashing heads with his Louisville Slugger on "Sorry Louie." But it is his legend--from the wild political involvements to bouts with the F.B.I. over middle fingers--that delivers Str8 Off's lasting import. On a thick, album-ending, West Coast funk joint called "Eazy's Mood for Love"--produced by Roger Troutman--Yella affectionately splices together an Eazy highlight roll. The song is an assortment of Eazy quotes, showcasing both the nagging nihilism and the often overlooked insight of the pauper turned prince.
  His last piece of wax indicates that E was improving both production and flow. Str8 Off... is more celebratory than substance. It ultimately shows that in his stutter step towards death, Eazy E was embodying the April  7th words of his eulogizer Rev. Cecil Murray: "I know a little blackbird that sings. And his lyrics are, 'I want you to live. I want you to be careful. I want you to slow down.'"
Review by Frank "P-Frank" Williams

tnp

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2002, 04:44:33 PM »
thank u 4 that reveiw cuz i just got this cd bout a week ago

40oz GRApHire

• Funk Doctor
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PS: I'm still a Buddhist :)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2002, 11:32:48 PM »
thnx G
40oz Graphire

DirtyPills

• Lil Geezy
  • Cant Leave The Pills Behind......
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2002, 05:59:58 AM »
Yeah, "Its On" Was A Classic, The Sources Are Retarded, He Should Of Gotten 5 Mics...

budsmokeronly

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2002, 07:06:03 AM »
Fuck The Source...like there is a better mag out there than The Source.  Not everyone agrees with every review (for me it's 3.5 mics for Restless and 5 for Life After Death plus various others) but every mag and website has reviews you that you will disagree with.  XXL does not have nearly the amount of content and dope features that The Source has and Vibe has too much R&B and others just aren't large enough to have enough info, news, interviews, etc. (Murder Dog is the wackest mag ever).  

Quit bashing on the mag cause it's number one.  

However they have lost a lot of balls over the last four years.

When it comes to East coast rap the source may be good, I ain't into eastcoast rap though.  I do know that the source shits on the westcoast.  If you guys want a good magazine for westcoast music get Rime magazine.  It is 20 times better than the best parts of source, xxl, and vibe all put together.

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2002, 10:31:03 AM »
When it comes to East coast rap the source may be good, I ain't into eastcoast rap though.  I do know that the source shits on the westcoast.  If you guys want a good magazine for westcoast music get Rime magazine.  It is 20 times better than the best parts of source, xxl, and vibe all put together.

hell yeah Rime iz tite isnt it a 100% west coast rap?