Author Topic: The Source review 1994 Ruthless Records  (Read 164 times)

That_Cracka_J

The Source review 1994 Ruthless Records
« on: July 16, 2002, 02:29:35 PM »
I can't remember what album The Source reviewed, but I think it was from 1994 and it was on Ruthless Records.  I've been looking for it for awhile now and it's buggin' the hell outta me that I can't think of what album it was.  I coulda swore it was Kokane, but it ain't.  

The review started out with something about Eazy-E pushing out a Ruthless artist every week on his label,  it said something about they have to give 3 mics to anyone who spells his name right, and they also called this artist a diamond in the rough...and I'm pretty sure it got 3 mics.

Does anyone remember this or have this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

tnp

Re: The Source review 1994 Ruthless Records
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 03:13:33 PM »
Is this what you are looking for?

The Source-September 1994 issue
Bone Thugs N Harmony-Creepin' on a Come Up
3 1/2 mics

If it seems that EAZY E IS PUSHING A NEW GROUP EVERY WEEK on his record company, Ruthless Records, it's because he just about does. To his credit, only a couple of these records are outright wack--the much hyped and extremely corny Blood of Abraham and Hoez Wit Attitude spring to mind very quickly--but it's just so damn many of them that DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH like Pistol or Kokane get drowned out. But just when you thought that that Eazy was going to be on some straight gimmick shit, here comes Bone Thugs N Harmony, five brothers--all between 18 and 22--out of St. Claire, East 99th Street in Cleveland.
  If you catch the single, "Thuggish Ruggish Bone," on the radio, they might sound suspiciously gimmick-like with their machinegunning sing-songy style, but don't confuse them with the Long Beach crew. Bone are anything but laid back. Unlike Warren G and Domino's albums--which sound great at first but hold no real surprises over repeated listenings (I mean, does the world really need two Warren G albums?-it is well-worth your effort to put some time into this EP.
  They spit their lyrics out quickly, shifting their cadence at every turn. It is their ability to pause to extend some syllables or speed up to rush others that'll mess with your head. While much has been made of the opera-like nature of "Thuggish Ruggish Bone," the bottom line is that these brothers have quality lyrics underneath their novel approach to the mic. "No Surrender" would just be another cop-bashing song if it weren't for the eerie chorus and fat lyrics like...uh, like, uh...whatever it is that nigga is talking about. It's the kind of album where you can make out most of the lyrics if you pay dues, but you wouldn't want to go out on a limb and try to transcribe them. Atmosphere is important here as anything that comes out of their mouths. Every effort is made to add to the album's sinister air. The bass beats groan, moan, crawl and creep. There are plenty of minor chords and the vocals are pressed into the mix.
  We'll see if they can keep all of this interesting enough to sustain an entire album. But in the meantime, these five songs will do the trick just fine.
Written by Johnny Johnson

No mention of automatic 3 mics to those who can spell their names, but I capitalized the other relevent parts that I thought might make this the review you are looking for.

peace,
tnp

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 06:57:19 PM »
Right on....Now I know why I couldn't find the review.  It's under that back-page section, right (where they dont' actually give mics out)?  And that's why I was thinking of Kokane because they mentioned him in the article.  Hell yeah man...now that shit ain't gonna bug me!  Thanx.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 11:06:30 PM »
i gotta say FUCK THE SOURCE againfor sayin "does the world really neede two Warren G albums".. WTF?