Author Topic: Once again, Mexico accused of racism against black people  (Read 2627 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Once again, Mexico accused of racism against black people
« on: June 30, 2005, 02:55:26 PM »
It really shows how ridiculously overboard we are about not offending people in countries like the US, Canada, Western Europe, etc In most other parts of the world, they could care less about minority groups.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8410111/

U.S.: Mexican stamp fuels 'racial stereotypes'
Images of stereotypical black comics character follow flap spurred by Fox

WASHINGTON - The White House on Thursday objected to a postage stamp issued by the Mexican government, saying that “racial stereotypes are offensive no matter what their origin” and have no place in today’s world.

The stamp depicts an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, drawn with exaggerated features, thick lips and wide-open eyes. His appearance, speech and mannerisms are the subject of kidding by white characters in the comic book, which started in the 1940s and is still published in Mexico.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said it was “an internal issue for Mexico and the postal authorities that issued the stamp. With that said, I would like to make a couple of points. Racial stereotypes are offensive no matter what their origin. The Mexican government needs to take this into account. Images like these have no place in today’s world.”

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mexico said that like Speedy Gonzalez — a cartoon mouse with a Mexican accent that debuted in the United States in 1953 — the Memin Pinguin character shouldn’t be interpreted as a racial slur.

Activists have also called on the Mexican government to withdraw the stamp.

“One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds,” said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico’s small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

“But we’ve learned to expect anything from this government, just anything,” Penalosa said.

Click to register your opinion
Live Vote: Do the stamps offend you?

Fox’s comments
The stamp was issued just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered black Americans.

In May, Fox riled many by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that “not even blacks” want. Fox later expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

Carlos Caballero, assistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the new stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.

“This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico’s culture,” Caballero said. “His mischievous nature is part of that character.”

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

‘It's from another era’
“At this point in time, it was probably pretty insensitive” to issue the stamps, said Elisa Velazquez, an anthropologist who studies Mexico’s black communities for the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

“This character is a classic, but it’s from another era,” Velazquez said. “It’s a stereotype, and you don’t want to encourage ignorance or prejudices.”

The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps — depicting the character in five poses — was issued with the domestic market in mind, but Caballero noted they could be used in international postage as well. A total of 750,000 of the stamps will be issued.

Ben Vinson, a black professor of Latin American history at Penn State University, said he has been called “Memin Pinguin” by some people in Mexico. He said the character’s mother is drawn to look like an old version of the U.S. advertising character Aunt Jemima.

The stamps are part of a series that pays tribute to Mexican comic books. Memin Pinguin, the second in the series, was apparently chosen for this year’s release because it is the 50th anniversary of the company that publishes the comic.

Publisher Manelick de la Parra told the government news agency Notimex the character would be a sort of goodwill ambassador on Mexican letters and postcards. “It seems nice if Memin can travel all over the world, spreading good news,” de la Parra said, calling him “so charming, so affectionate, so wonderful, generous and friendly.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Once again, Mexico accused of racism against black people
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
Fox is an idiot.  They should have celebrated Memin Penguin by putting the creater of the character as the Stamp

There is racism in Mexico from the skintones of latinos too. 

and god dammit, Fox is the ignorant one. 

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:14:25 PM »

lol thats not racist? get the fuck outta here

DAYUM

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 11:57:40 PM »
LOL poor mexico

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »
doesn't suprise me. like someone said above me mexican people are racist against our own race. mexicans in mexico hate mexicans in america, or wealthier mexicans are seens as "white washed" and poor mexicans are seen as Paisas....the equiv of a red neck in the mexican world. Same goes for mexicans in the US. you know how many riots we use to have at my highschool cuz of this lol. Then of corse there's interlatino racism , Puerto Ricans hate Cubans, Cubans, hate Peruvians, Peruvians, hate Guatamalans , Guatamalans hate Mexicans, ect. ect. There was  a BIIIIIIIG ass controversy that Jennifer Lopez (Puerto Rican) was going to play Selena (Mexican).

anyways back to the black thing, i've said this many times, black people go around on tv saying "white people are so racist and yadda yadda yadda" but what they fail to relize is that there is a lot more mexicans that are racist against blacks than whites in america, but the reason why nothing is said is because whites stand there and take it/are afraid of blacks and meixcans don't punk out like that. i know someone is going to hit the diss button cuz of this comment but IT TRUE.!

IMO though i don't think the comments by fox were racist at all (referring to the older post where fox said "mexicans take jobs even blacks won't take")

and IMO i don't know if those stamps are racist or not. it depends on how they were meant to be released. if it was just released as a national appreciation of the fucking comic.....no big whoop, the US should issue "race tampons" cuz some people get too touchy about racial stuff, god foooooooooooorbid blacks use racial stereotypes on mexicans and latinos...oh wait they do.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT if these stamps were released to intentionally stir up shit due to Fox's comments, then yeah of corse this is racist.  but still ,  i think it's not something people in other countries should care about unless you are an African-Mexican Citizen ( all 100 of them). Fox ain't bustin a Hitler and making "Jiggaboo Shampoo" out of them. He ain't doin a Jefferson Davis and trying to get blacks to harvest chilli peppers under slavery. If this was done intentionally then yeah Fox is unprofessional and shouldn't be doing shit like this , but i don't know the intention so i have no real opinion.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

TeeRaySix9Teen

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 02:53:13 AM »
It really shows how ridiculously overboard we are about not offending people in countries like the US, Canada, Western Europe, etc In most other parts of the world, they could care less about minority groups.

youre a fuckin retard...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 06:13:19 AM »
Why can't people just like what they are and be done with it these days. It's sooo annoying. Blacks and Indians and shit use skin lighting products, whites get tanning booths or lie their asses into the sun for serveral boring hours just to alter their god damn skin colors. I hear certain people are even "racist" towards people with a little darker/lighter skin than their own ones between their own race. Lol. How people can even make friends nowadays, when everybody hates hisself and everybody over some petty shit like this? Nuts.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

dexter

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 07:02:09 AM »
Mexicans=POCHAS not POCHOS girlies

Matrix Heart

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 12:46:37 AM »

At first I thought he was monkey etc...but he's a little black boy  ;D wack.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 12:48:59 AM by #1 Enya Groupie »

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »
WTF! Lol, I thought that was a monkey...(not a racist comment, btw) lol

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 12:17:34 AM »
get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.  everything mexicans say or do is seen as racist.  I was just in a thread where someone said "it's always funny to laugh at mexicans" how is that shit cool but yet the stamps aren't???  It's all bullshit if you ask me.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

J Bananas

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 12:21:17 AM »
boohoohoo it's so fuckin terrible, what is our world coming to?

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »
zimmerman 0.0

dexter

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »

At first I thought he was monkey etc...but he's a little black boy  ;D wack.