Author Topic: Truth Hurts - Artists of the Day  (Read 138 times)

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
Truth Hurts - Artists of the Day
« on: June 18, 2002, 10:30:46 PM »
Truth hurts is the "Artist of the Day" for Billboard.com. Here is the article: Truth Hurts Freely 'Speaks' Her Mind On Her Debut

Outspoken and fearless. That best describes the aptly monikered Truth Hurts. The R&B newcomer makes herself heard, in more ways than one, with her Aftermath/Interscope debut, "Truthfully Speaking," due June 25.

"I'm blessed to be surrounded by people like Dr. Dre who believe in that," Hurts (aka Shari Watson) says of her outspoken nature. "He accepts me for who I am, and that's the greatest blessing, because people [usually] don't. They tell you to shut up and do what they say to -- it's totally a control thing in this industry. However, Dre treats me with respect. He respects the woman that I am, what I feel, and what I say as far as my album is concerned."

To that end, Hurts gleaned much of the material for "Truthfully Speaking" from personal experience. "Everything that I've gone through is touched on, because I was totally allowed to be myself on this record," says the St. Louis native. "I was allowed to write about what I thought I should write about. Everything I've experienced in the business and life I put on wax."

This is particularly evident on the music industry-aimed "Hollywood." "People in the business and in Hollywood live in this very unreal atmosphere," Hurts observes. "A lot of people aren't allowed to be themselves, so they sell themselves short just to do a record. My album is totally opposite of that. That's why Dre named me 'Truth [Hurts]' and we went in the direction we did-everything is upfront, honest, and from the soul."

Hurts has begun making a name for herself via the infectious lead single "Addictive." The DJ Quik-produced track, which features Rakim, is No. 2 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart and No. 9 on Billboard's Hot 100.

"That [success] just verifies everything that Dre and I talked about the day we did this record," Hurts says. "People are ready to hear something new, and we wanted to be the ones to put that out. You have to take chances."

The theme of truth runs throughout the 14-track set, and Hurts is quick to share her definition of the term. "I'm a spiritual person, so first and foremost, 'the truth' is God," she says. "Secondly, it's coming to the realization of what's going on in this world and trying to be yourself in the midst of that. I've gotten to a point in my life where I'm not afraid to be that, and that's what Dr. Dre saw."

Excerpted from the June 22, 2002, issue of Billboard. The full original text of the article is available in the Billboard.com members section, but i don't have this permission :(

Thx to ma dawg Frias
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
Re: Truth Hurts - Artists of the Day
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 12:50:09 AM »

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: Truth Hurts - Artists of the Day
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 02:10:41 AM »
Nice one, she deserves it. Thanx for posting that up Dedicato.
& I fuck those dickriders that post over at the sohh board, they don't wanna know about anything outside the eastcoast.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.