Author Topic: Kanye West says Late Reg. must sell 2.6 mill to break even  (Read 376 times)

Mr. Humonculous

Kanye West says Late Reg. must sell 2.6 mill to break even
« on: August 21, 2005, 09:42:40 PM »
West treats crowd to 'Late Registration'
Grammy winner looks outside of hip hop to create much anticipated sophomore album.
By Adam Graham The Detroit News

Inside a nondescript office building in Troy Wednesday evening, music's hottest entity, Grammy-winning rapper-producer Kanye West, was on hand to unveil the year's most-anticipated album, West's sophomore effort "Late Registration."

"This album will change the game," the Chicago native confidently told a group of more than 40 industry professionals, DJs and journalists assembled to hear the record, the follow-up to last year's triple-platinum "The College Dropout."

"Brace yourself, I don't want anybody to get hurt," he said as he started into the album's first track, "Heard 'Em Say."

Immediately, it was clear people were feeling it, but no one was digging it more than West himself: He nodded his head throughout, mouthed the words to "Touch the Sky," raised his fist in the air during the pounding "Crack Music," formed a celebratory diamond sign with his hands during "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" and stood up and rapped along to the triumphant, genre-bending "We Major," which went over so well he decided to play it twice.

He even kept his cool when the sound system went dead during "Drive Slow."

The room burst into applause several times, but West repeatedly shushed them, so they wouldn't miss a moment of his work.

West, 27, recorded the album with producer Jon Brion, best known for his work with Fiona Apple (of whom West is a huge admiror) and his film scores ("Magnolia," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind").

In a Q&A session afterwards, West made it clear he looked outside of hip-hop for inspiration for "Late Registration," saying he and Brion spent hours in the studio listening to old Beatles and Jackson 5 records.

There are enough musical flourishes on "Late Registration" to make any audiophile's ears perk up, which is not surprising, considering West and Brion's influences: There's pipe organs on "We Belong," a 20-piece orchestra on "Gone," a harpsichord on "Diamonds" and a string section on "Hey Mama."

An impressive list of guests drops in on "Late Registration," including Jay-Z, Nas, Jamie Foxx and Patti Labelle. But there are two people West has never worked with, whom he says it's his dream to collaborate with in the future: Lauryn Hill and Eminem.

West said "Late Registration" cost $2 million to make and needs to sell 2.6 million copies to break even. He even lamented the security surrounding the album, which is under lock and key until its Aug. 30 release.

"I think downloading is the best thing ever. I'm like, 'When's my bootleg coming out?' " he said. "I want people to hear the music!"

But as cocky as he is -- "I would hate to not be me!" he bragged at one point, later adding he feels sorry for other people who aren't him -- he knows he has room to improve, and says he plans on taking poetry lessons to bone up on his lyric-writing skills before writing his next album, which is tentatively due next year.

Before that, he has plans to hit the road with a 20-piece orchestra. He says he's playing some dates with U2 later this year, and he's been talking to Coldplay's Chris Martin about hooking up on the road.

But currently, the focus is on "Late Registration."

"I wanted to make an album where there was no fast-forward material on it," he said, adding -- in typical West fashion -- he's confident he's made the album of the year, an "uncriticizable" achievement deserving of the top honor at next year's Grammy Awards.

But if he were to lose, "I'd be happy to lose to System of a Down," he said of the Armenian-American metal maniacs, whose "Mesmerize" was released in May.

"That's my favorite album of the year so far," he says.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/events/0508/19/E06-285250.htm

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 09:48:03 PM by Mr. Humonculous »

UAK

Re: Kanye West says Late Reg. must sell 2.6 mill to break even
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 09:45:38 PM »
Haha that's sad  ;D what a waste of money.

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »

"I think downloading is the best thing ever. I'm like, 'When's my bootleg coming out?' " he said. "I want people to hear the music!"

But if he were to lose, "I'd be happy to lose to System of a Down," he said of the Armenian-American metal maniacs, whose "Mesmerize" was released in May.

"That's my favorite album of the year so far," he says.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/events/0508/19/E06-285250.htm

I thought awhile back he said that he wanted internet bootleggers to die?

and..wtf SOAD? That album was horrible
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Jome

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 10:45:04 PM »
He even lamented the security surrounding the album, which is under lock and key until its Aug. 30 release.

So much for that.  :D

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:16:27 PM »
The album that was leaked out is actually the real thing...lol. :laugh: :laugh:
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:17:13 AM »
West, 27, recorded the album with producer Jon Brion, best known for his work with Fiona Apple (of whom West is a huge admiror)
kain is actuly kanye west
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:50:10 AM by BigBDrugStores »

BacktoWacko

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • HoodSTock!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 07:08:02 AM »
his fiirst album was much better then this one so I feel sorry for 8) 8)

---Hiphop Harted taking it back to where it Started---
2004s Number 1...

::Mr. Hahn::

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 07:24:08 AM »
im feeling this album... 8)
Currently Training at:
www.VT1GYM.com

Gang Starr

"But they can't take the respect, that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they'll never stop the furious force of my rhymes
So like they say, every dog has it's day
And like they say, God works in a mysterious way
So I pray, remembering the days of my youth
As I prepare to meet my moment of truth"

wcsoldier

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 07:58:22 AM »
What did he expect when you used  a sample on near every track on the album n guests aswell too  8)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:42:40 PM by wcsoldier »

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 11:44:43 AM »
im feeling this album... 8)
I'm feeling of copying it and selling to my neighbors for $$$ :laugh:
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »
i love this album...waaay more than College drop out
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 12:31:37 PM »
Each song is a sleeper that just continues to grow on you. 

Elevz

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »
West, 27, recorded the album with producer Jon Brion, best known for his work with Fiona Apple (of whom West is a huge admiror)

LOL

But seriously, 2 million just to make the album, while he produces his own tracks... What the hell?

wcsoldier

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 02:41:09 PM »

LOL

But seriously, 2 million just to make the album, while he produces his own tracks... What the hell?
What did he expect when you used  a sample on near every track on the album n guests aswell too 

Spolja

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »

LOL

I think that clearin up samples costed a lot since he uses at least one on every song... And he does have a lots of guest stars there.