Author Topic: songs about growing up?  (Read 413 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: songs about growing up?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
I think I have the perfect song (if you're looking for non rap as well).

It's called Growin' Up, so the title fits the request and I think the verses do to. You be the judge. It's by Bruce Springsteen and I have several versions of the song; the original 1973 album version, the preceding 1972 demo version, a lost master from the same era, and 3 live versions from '85, '93, and '96.

Here are the album version and the acoustic version in a RAR file. Pick the one you think works best (if you think it works for your presentation, and if you want to hear the other versions let me know);

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=396SMOZNP91BV24GHJL23ZNYRI

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »
NWA-The Dayz of WayBack

Thirteen

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 04:22:14 PM »
Rick James - Ghetto Life

Coolio - I Remember

Coolio - Ghetto Highlights

B-Legit - Ghetto Smile

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 04:34:23 PM »

It's called Growin' Up, so the title fits the request and I think the verses do to. You be the judge. It's by Bruce Springsteen and I have several versions of the song; the original 1973 album version, the preceding 1972 demo version, a lost master from the same era, and 3 live versions from '85, '93, and '96.

Here are the album version and the acoustic version in a RAR file. Pick the one you think works best (if you think it works for your presentation, and if you want to hear the other versions let me know);

lol at you and your 55 Springsteen albums. At least I got the Asbury Park version....A lot of Springsteenīs songs are actually related to growing up, the letīs-break-free type lyrics on "Born To Run" or storytelling like "The River"...IMO heīs generally worth checking out when it comes to beautiful songs at least loosely connected to growing up.

No Doubt - Sixteen

perfect puberty song

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2005, 07:58:09 PM »

lol at you and your 55 Springsteen albums.

Why am I so funny? No need to laugh at me. It's no secret I like The Boss.

Also, The River, imo, is more about being trapped after breaking free rather than breaking free. The albums, Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge of Town, and River are all connected thematically. In Born to Run it's about breaking free, while Darkness it's broken free to getting trapped and River is the aftermath. At least that's how I see it. It's certainly open to interpretation.

P.S. Let me explain the 55 albums. I own all 13 studio albums, the Chimes of Freedom EP, and two Live albums. The concert bootlegs and lost master I downloaded in one big file.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 05:52:12 AM »
^^ chill man, I wasnīt laughing at you, I just found it funny how you got 6 versions of one song and 55 albums...I like The Boss too, nothing to hide about that...got all his older studio albums and a lot of newer stuff, some only on my computer

yeah, the three albums are related, thatīs true. "The River" is about growing up and breaking free, but I didnīt want to imply itīs from the same perspective as "Born To Run". It is, of course, another point of the whole process, I just wanted to say itīs related to it and a lot of Springsteenīs material in a way is

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 06:08:03 AM »
It surprises me that nobody has mentioned "Different Worlds" yet...it's by Alchemist feat. Twin (I know that a lot of people here on the board found that one of the best songs on Alchemist's album). Definitely worth checking out!

Alchemist tells the story of how he grow up in Hollywood and that he had a good education & always wore nice clothes.
Twin on the other hand, tells the story of growing up in the projects of Queensbridge.

They switch every 4 bars or so...very nicely done in my opinion 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:09:51 AM by CRAFTY »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 07:02:41 AM »
^^ chill man, I wasnīt laughing at you, I just found it funny how you got 6 versions of one song and 55 albums...I like The Boss too, nothing to hide about that...got all his older studio albums and a lot of newer stuff, some only on my computer

yeah, the three albums are related, thatīs true. "The River" is about growing up and breaking free, but I didnīt want to imply itīs from the same perspective as "Born To Run". It is, of course, another point of the whole process, I just wanted to say itīs related to it and a lot of Springsteenīs material in a way is

I was just kidding around. I wasn't offended.

One thing you said about his songs being good if you like songs about growing up; his range goes far beyond that and it's all quality work. On Asbury Park, Lost In The Flood is a great song, and he has shis share of love songs (Sandy, Rosalita, Secret Garden, etc.). The Nebraska album was the Boss's first stab at middle America and the problems that go with it. Born In The USA added to that. Tunnel of Love was a great album about the dark side if marriage. Human Touch and Lucky town; well then had there moments, although not many. Ghost of Tom Joad is a lyrical treasue, and Rising wasa great album about loss (some songs inspired by 9/11). Even the new D and D was a great album about different kinds of people. He sings in a different voice for each song to display a different character. And let's not for get about Streets of Philadelphia; not many can propely portray the problems of a gay man dieing of aids in a song with out making it too obvious. Just that I'd add all that.

Theodore

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 01:10:08 PM »

cool, i'll give it a listen and get back to you.
dont really know bruce springsteens' music so dont really know what to expect
but i went with royce's 'life' for my paper.. turned it in yesterdaymorning
too bad i didn't know about this one and 'sixteen' by no doubt but oh well the soundtrack thing was just an extra i felt like doing  :P

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 01:31:06 PM »
DJ QUIK - SUMMER BREEZE

Traumatized

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2005, 01:42:05 PM »
Shorty Wanna Be a Thug