Author Topic: Kurupt - Against The Grain  (Read 831 times)

Capo Di Tutti I Capi

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Kurupt - Against The Grain
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:25:36 AM »
I've been bumping it alot lately so I think the album is better then everybody's sayin..
The production is nothing groundbreaking but it's ok and Kurupt it's not in his prime but still pretty good so I think it's underrated. anybody else feeling the same?

wcsoldier

Re: Kurupt - Against The Grain
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 07:28:41 AM »
Production is ok, but for me Kurupt flow, delivery and lyrics are very weak, this album doesn't get lots of spins in my cd player.

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 07:47:08 AM »
everyone has its own taste...me personaly ..i think the album is straight BANGER!!!

Speak on It

Anarchy 

Throwback

Stalkin (that would be song for MTV-BET-TRL)..song is waaaay better then Just A Lil Bit, Candy Shop etc

Jealousy

The Past

My Homeboys

Calico

man i can go on..whole album is BANGIN

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 08:04:16 AM »
* Anarchy 87
* Throwbacc Music
* Deep Dishes
* Stalkin
* Can U Feel it
* Jealousy
* The Past
* Its A Wrap

^im feelin those. the rest are blahhh

"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Scoldie

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:30:07 AM »
Calicos is sick i like that track.  Stalkin kinda freaks me out cuz i had a stalker once, and thats exaclty like her.  Deep dishes tho is the shit.  I love that track.  The rest of it aight.  i give it a 7/10

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:36:07 AM »
Production is ok, but for me Kurupt flow, delivery and lyrics are very weak, this album doesn't get spin in my cd player.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:18:05 AM »
best album so far this year imo...a lotta people like the commercial garbage thats running the charts now.(g unit, kanye west, fat joe etc..)...and they're gonna hate...this album sounds more like kurupts earlier efforts(kurruption and streetz)...which happen to be my of my favs of all time...production has a mid 90's death row sound...which works well

BWNY

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:06:44 PM »
my humble opinion...kurupt fan...bought it...worth buying to hear kurupt...no where near a classic though..first time listeners...check out streets is a mutha to get a real sense of how kurupt gets down...
i checked out tharow.com and they had this to say "Many are wondering why there is a lack of promotion for "against tha grain" on this website. Basically we do not support nor endorse this record. Many songs made for the album were removed by Koch. This was not the intended "Against Tha Grain" we wanted to release and for this reason we urge fans not to purchase the album." i wonder how good this cd could have been??

10=classic
9=superior
8=above average
7=average
6=below average
5=don't need to mention below this point

I give it an overall 7/10

Beat                               Lyrics
Speak on it                   5/10                              6/10
Stalkin 6/10                  5/10                              6/10
Deep Dishes                  9/10                              8/10
Its a Wrap                     3/10                             6/10(couln't vibe)
Throw Back Muzic 86'     8/10(nate imitated)         8/10
Im Back                        6/10                              7/10
Anarchy                        6/10(fast of slow paced?) 7/10
slide n slide out              7.5/10(i felt the beat)      9/10(East ang big helped out)
Can you feel it               5.5/10(chrous killed it)      5/10
Jelousy                        7/10                               7/10(roscoe gets a 9)
Calico                          3/10(reminds me of jarule) 7/10
The past                     8/10(Dave Holister)           8/10(felt the vibe or was it the weed??)
Bull Shit & Nonsense     6.5/10                              7/10
Hustlin                        7.5/10(east coast vibe)      8/10
My Homeboys              7.5/10                             7.5/10(beat revolves around pac)
u fucking with the best 6/10(repetitive)                8/10(next califronia governor)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:09:04 PM »
my humble opinion...kurupt fan...bought it...worth buying to hear kurupt...no where near a classic though..first time listeners...check out streets is a mutha to get a real sense of how kurupt gets down...
i checked out tharow.com and they had this to say "Many are wondering why there is a lack of promotion for "against tha grain" on this website. Basically we do not support nor endorse this record. Many songs made for the album were removed by Koch. This was not the intended "Against Tha Grain" we wanted to release and for this reason we urge fans not to purchase the album." i wonder how good this cd could have been??

10=classic
9=superior
8=above average
7=average
6=below average
5=don't need to mention below this point

I give it an overall 7/10

Beat                               Lyrics
Speak on it                   5/10                              6/10
Stalkin 6/10                  5/10                              6/10
Deep Dishes                  9/10                              8/10
Its a Wrap                     3/10                             6/10(couln't vibe)
Throw Back Muzic 86'     8/10(nate imitated)         8/10
Im Back                        6/10                              7/10
Anarchy                        6/10(fast of slow paced?) 7/10
slide n slide out              7.5/10(i felt the beat)      9/10(East ang big helped out)
Can you feel it               5.5/10(chrous killed it)      5/10
Jelousy                        7/10                               7/10(roscoe gets a 9)
Calico                          3/10(reminds me of jarule) 7/10
The past                     8/10(Dave Holister)           8/10(felt the vibe or was it the weed??)
Bull Shit & Nonsense     6.5/10                              7/10
Hustlin                        7.5/10(east coast vibe)      8/10
My Homeboys              7.5/10                             7.5/10(beat revolves around pac)
u fucking with the best 6/10(repetitive)                8/10(next califronia governor)

nice post

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Young Old Head

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 09:50:05 AM »
Just listened to this album again after like 7, 8 years and I must say it aged surprisingly well. Production was actually nice. Nowhere near his first three albums tho, but it's solid.

Cash Money Blood Gang

The following users thanked this post: Marco

Al Bundy

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »
I still believe the DPG version of ATG was the better of the two but I think, if you could combine the best parts of each, it would make a still very decent album from Kurupt that isn't quite up to par with the first three albums.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 12:07:11 AM »
This shit is horrible and unlistenable.  Like someone at the forum said, nobody had a harder fall off then Kurupt.

When you are young you can guzzle all drugs and liquor you want and still feel like Superman.  That shit starts to wear on you when you when you aren't young anymore
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 03:54:01 AM »
the DPG version of ATG with the tracks recorded before he went back to Death Row is definitely the better album

https://www.discogs.com/release/4461370-Kurupt-Against-The-Grain

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »
the DPG version of ATG with the tracks recorded before he went back to Death Row is definitely the better album

https://www.discogs.com/release/4461370-Kurupt-Against-The-Grain

You got a link to where I can hear that version?  Or even just one of the better songs off that you recommend and link?

Bottom line though Kurupt just lost his invincibility when he lost his youth.  Some rappers don't age well.  He's still a great guy, and good in interviews, and as person--but lost his gift as an emcee
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 02:57:05 AM »
You got a link to where I can hear that version?  Or even just one of the better songs off that you recommend and link?

Bottom line though Kurupt just lost his invincibility when he lost his youth.  Some rappers don't age well.  He's still a great guy, and good in interviews, and as person--but lost his gift as an emcee

yeah this one I think was recorded during the "Kuruption!" era, one of my favorite underrated Kurupt tracks