Author Topic: Kurupt - Against The Grain  (Read 830 times)

Okka

Re: Kurupt - Against The Grain
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 03:31:45 AM »
the DPG version of ATG with the tracks recorded before he went back to Death Row is definitely the better album

https://www.discogs.com/release/4461370-Kurupt-Against-The-Grain

It was just a collection of songs Daz put together.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 03:38:11 AM »
It was just a collection of songs Daz put together.

yeah definitely more of a compilation than anything

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 04:35:23 AM »
yeah this one I think was recorded during the "Kuruption!" era, one of my favorite underrated Kurupt tracks

Damn good find homie  8)

..but this is definitely when Kurupt still had the glow of his youth.  This is not an Against the Grain era death row track when he’d fallen off (as you mentioned it was Kuruption era). 

Kurupt even said he had retired from rap actually so obviously he even recognized he had lost his voice and he was just supposed to be an executive over at Death Row but it didn’t work out the way it was supposed to, Left Eye died and they couldn’t figure out how to transition Crooked I from lyricist to star—and so Kurupt for whatever reason went in the studio and did against them grain a project that never should’ve seen the light of day
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Young Old Head

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
Damn good find homie  8)

..but this is definitely when Kurupt still had the glow of his youth.  This is not an Against the Grain era death row track when he’d fallen off (as you mentioned it was Kuruption era). 

Kurupt even said he had retired from rap actually so obviously he even recognized he had lost his voice and he was just supposed to be an executive over at Death Row but it didn’t work out the way it was supposed to, Left Eye died and they couldn’t figure out how to transition Crooked I from lyricist to star—and so Kurupt for whatever reason went in the studio and did against them grain a project that never should’ve seen the light of day

Source? Sounds like u made that whole part up :hmmm:
LOL @ "and so Kurupt for whatever reason went in the studio and did against them grain a project that never should’ve seen the light of day" – I remember these time pretty well and Kurupt was always over at DR as an executive and as an artist. Against Tha Grain was meant to come out way earlier in a different version too, but ultimately got released in '05 after Kurupt reconciled with Daz, so they changed the whole album up and replaced most of the diss songs.
And for the record, there's a couple of bangers on ATG: Throw Back Muzic '86, Can U Feel It, Tha Past, Bullshit & Nonsense all got this timeless West Coast sound. Also always loved I'm Back, Slide N Slide Out, Deep Dishes and Jealousy... And I ain't mad at the rest of the tracks either.

Cash Money Blood Gang

astra4322

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 12:54:34 AM »
I prefer "Down & Dirty" version.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 02:29:48 AM »
Source? Sounds like u made that whole part up :hmmm:
LOL @ "and so Kurupt for whatever reason went in the studio and did against them grain a project that never should’ve seen the light of day" – I remember these time pretty well and Kurupt was always over at DR as an executive and as an artist. Against Tha Grain was meant to come out way earlier in a different version too, but ultimately got released in '05 after Kurupt reconciled with Daz, so they changed the whole album up and replaced most of the diss songs.
And for the record, there's a couple of bangers on ATG: Throw Back Muzic '86, Can U Feel It, Tha Past, Bullshit & Nonsense all got this timeless West Coast sound. Also always loved I'm Back, Slide N Slide Out, Deep Dishes and Jealousy... And I ain't mad at the rest of the tracks either.

I think he said it in the interview with Talib Kweli or with Vlad.. not sure but it wasn't that long ago I saw the interview.  Somebody can back me up on that he said it when describing his move back over to Death Row and why he did it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 03:23:27 AM »
Kurupt was with Angie Martinez on Hot 97 with Suge and Crooked in early '02 and basically said what Infinite has stated...no mention of "Against The Grain" at that point but he had just went back to Death Row so that idea was probably formed later on

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »
Okay, so must of you don't know this but before Against The Grain...there was Back In Lane. The song 4 Tha G'z was on it. D.O.C. wrote some of it. It was before Daz and Snoop's beef with Kurupt started. That's the 02 album.

The following users thanked this post: Al Bundy, HighEyeCue

Okka

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 10:16:34 PM »
Okay, so must of you don't know this but before Against The Grain...there was Back In Lane. The song 4 Tha G'z was on it. D.O.C. wrote some of it. It was before Daz and Snoop's beef with Kurupt started. That's the 02 album.

What up, D-Nice! Good to see you, man. I don't remember "Back In Lane" at all. You got any more information about it?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 02:42:04 AM »

wow never knew this..."4 Tha Gz" was a nice track, sounds like this album had potential

hitsaw

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 03:00:22 AM »
The album would better if the atg ep songs where on it.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Okka

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »
The album would better if the atg ep songs where on it.

Hell yeah. The EP is a classic in my opinion.

Al Bundy

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »

It would be cool to find other tracks made for this album. I'll ask some of my collector buddies if they know more.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2022, 02:28:20 AM »
there are a few tracks on Tha Row Rider bootleg that might have been for that album

there is also another one called Jus Like Me