Author Topic: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #44  (Read 326 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #44
« on: September 11, 2005, 07:23:31 AM »
B o b    M a r l e y    &    T h e    W a i l e r s

EXODUS
(1977)

Usually itīs impossible to label one single person an entire genreīs biggest celebrity, most successful artist and greatest cult figure. In the case of reggae though, there is that single person. Bob Marley is the incarnation of peaceful rebellion, a messenger of love and one of the most legendary stars in popular music ever. In 1977, years after ska music had risen from the dirty streets of Trenchtown, Kingston and made its way to radio stations all over the world, reggae was about to reach the pinnacle of its creative and commercial success.

"Exodus" might not feature Marleyīs biggest hits, but itīs the most brillant and irresistible compilation of songs ever assembled by him or any other reggae artists. Be it the long, autobiographical title track, the joyful "Jamming" or the optimistic "One Love", which is maybe the most familiar tune to people who have never heard the LP, "Exodus" is an album that is easy to access and at the same time interesting to immerse yourself into. The catchy melodies might make this masterpiece an easy listen, but there is more to it than that; "Exodus" is a manifest of rebel music and a concept album of subtle complexity.

Marleyīs lyrics were no more mere depictions of the daily struggle in a Jamaican shantytown or words for spiritual chants, but reflected the mind of a deep thinker who took an approach at the most universal truths from his own subjective point of view. The spiritual and philosophical thinking intertwines and co-relates with the description of the simple and almost banal things in life, merging two completely different worlds in Marleyīs lyrics into the unique mixture that is "Exodus".

On top of Marley writing the best lyrics of his life, the Wailers performed as immaculately and intelligently as they ever would. The fade-in on "Natural Mystic", the jazzy insinuations on "Jamming", the precise and clever use of instruments in the background - all of this contributed a lot to the creation of one of reggaeīs greatest classics ever. Success would confirm Bob Marley, for whom "Exodus" was a visionary project: 7 out of 10 tracks were released as a single in the UK, and reggae became a style young bands felt obliged to play and music fans felt obliged to listen to. Bob Marley was about to reach "Legend" status.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: Killīs 50 greatest albums ever - #44
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 07:25:14 AM »
Never liked Marley. I'll give it a listen though.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 07:32:27 AM »
I personally prefer Kaya, but I can see why this would be put above it in a greatest albums countdown. Excellent album.

Elevz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 07:33:10 AM »
Dope!  8)

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 07:47:18 AM »
nuff said 8) . props

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 07:51:44 AM »

yeah give the guy a break :) although I think if you donīt like Marley, you wonīt like "Exodus"

...but since I hooked you up *cough*, you can listen to it *cough*, Eric *cough* Clapton *cough* ;)

PLANT

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 07:59:16 AM »
Great album

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 09:35:13 AM »
i love bob.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 12:38:01 PM »

yeah give the guy a break :) although I think if you donīt like Marley, you wonīt like "Exodus"

...but since I hooked you up *cough*, you can listen to it *cough*, Eric *cough* Clapton *cough* ;)

Understood. Got some time right now actually, check your PM in like an hour.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 07:16:00 PM »

My favourite of his was Burnin', but i haven't heard this album so i might check it out.

Cheers for the last hook up of Sly and the Family Stone, had never heard of their music before and the quality of it was suprising to me.
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 12:44:04 AM »
Great Album. One of the true kings of reggae.

This is the first album i actually know....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:46:07 AM by Bullet_Loco »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 03:53:47 AM »

My favourite of his was Burnin', but i haven't heard this album so i might check it out.

Cheers for the last hook up of Sly and the Family Stone, had never heard of their music before and the quality of it was suprising to me.
One of the best funk bands ever. Ask Lincoln ;D

Great Album. One of the true kings of reggae.

This is the first album i actually know....
Thatīs nice, just donīt start tripping again next time you do not know an album...peace

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 06:11:38 AM »

One of the best funk bands ever. Ask Lincoln ;D

;D Lol, try the best!

Paris

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 09:41:03 AM »
hey man im kinda late but when i try to play those massive attack and no doubt albums u uploaded i get no sound at all!

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »
hey man im kinda late but when i try to play those massive attack and no doubt albums u uploaded i get no sound at all!

I think I fixed the No Doubt album...what link did you use?

Massive Attack, right, Iīll fix that one later today, I forgot