Author Topic: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?  (Read 908 times)

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Does the West Coast sound need to be revolutionized?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 06:49:21 AM »
out of topic, but 'under tha influence'  u didn't put down the name of that woman in your sig. >:( ;D
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

BJV

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 06:58:51 AM »
shit won't change till Detox drops

We can't keep looking for dre to change it, where's the new talent at? I'm not talking about the rappers aftermath is signing since theyre just the same old stuff with new faces. There's no 18 year old producer in the west making noise with his own artists

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »
I think the bay is revolutionizing the sound with Rick Rock producing "Hyphy" tracks, westcoast version of crunk, everybody can get down to that, especially in the clubs

How can something that's not totally refreshing be a revolution to music?

Well I guess u could say Rick Rock is takin the right direction. It isn't anyting completely refreshing but it does sound diff from everyting else. It doesn't really sound like crunk...the atmosphere it encourages is definitely influened by crunk, but the music doesn't sound much like it.

Crown

• 'G'
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »
shit won't change till Detox drops

Truer words have never been spoken.

there are 5 things the west needs to do:

1. Producers need to study what made the West bang back in the early days, and incorporate that into they style.

2. Stop biting Dr. Dre, Dre is the best, but niggas got to learn from him with out biting his style.

3. Put out young niggas, hip hop is Youth music, STOP putting out records by the OG homie from the set.

4. Be a little more flashy without being phony, we live in a MTV music industry, Videos are as important as radio spins.

5. This West Coast thang is soooo magnetic that every one else is attracted to it. The West are the Original Ballers, Original Pimps so we need to represent it in a most Glorious Way
WE DON'T TALK TO POLICE!

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2005, 11:56:54 PM »
I think the bay is revolutionizing the sound with Rick Rock producing "Hyphy" tracks, westcoast version of crunk, everybody can get down to that, especially in the clubs

DAMMIT MAN!!!!!!!! Hyphy is NOT another version of crunk. Its the same type of enrgy but thats where it stops. Its a completely different sound and it embodies a completely different culture and mindset than crunk. Hyphy sounds NOTHING like crunk. FUCK, stop saying the "west coast version of crunk." that aint what it is. And on that note, Droop E (E 40's 17 year old son) is contibuting a lot to the direction of the Hyphy sound. Rick Rock is the king of it but there are others guiding its evolution too. If y ou aint heard it, go get that E 40 presents - Bay Bridges, the whole thing is produced by Droop E. Plus if yall dont know by now, TURF TALK is the real rookie of the year, not Ya Boy. Turf Talk and the Federation is the kings of Hyphy in terms of rappers. Oh yeah, and That Kinsmoke and Federation - Do Da On One is the fuckin jam right now!

The Bay stay changin the sound of rap and never enjoy in the success when it blows up (for instance crunk shit is heavily derived from old bay shit). Oh well thats just the way it goes I guess.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2005, 12:55:25 AM »
I would say that DJ Quiks new album brought a new sound again

I cant cosign that at all. I love the record and everything, but lets not give him more credit than he deserves. The sound on Trauma overall is just basically funk/disco shit. Its very well done for a rap record, especially when you consider how bland and stale rap has been for about the last 5 years. Great record, yes, revolutionary? Not even a little bit.

Soulful

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2005, 07:21:22 AM »
interesting thread.

they never been lyrically as good as the eastcoast rappers..but still they have sold more records n gotten more attention at on time..cuz back then the lyrics was really entertaining like nothing else imo..

they need to make better music + have the media behind them + dope production

right now they aint doin/havin none of em..

Crown

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2005, 11:20:33 PM »
WE DON'T TALK TO POLICE!

WestCoasta

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2005, 11:24:40 PM »
yeah u got a point, but fuck what other people outside the West think  8)

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2005, 11:37:35 PM »
interesting thread.

they never been lyrically as good as the eastcoast rappers..

Bullshit.

WestCoasta

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 12:26:04 AM »
^^^ co-sign..... what kinda bold statement is that u asshole  ???

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 02:35:23 AM »
Man, this shit is so simple. where are all the hip hop media outlets located? New York, (even though we are in Cali and have alotta resources, no one has stepped to the plate)
do we really have a support system out here? No
We fight amongst each other, beef over the dumbest shit in the world, and are haters!
this is kinda like a rhetorical question, there are so many problems, we really need a union that im tryna put into effect and shit really is bad when you got fans pulling soundscan numbers judging shit on who sold what. if i wanted it to look like i sold 20, 25,000 copies this week, there are ways you can "buy numbers" very easy, and the sad part about it people buy into the hype of shit like that, and it works! i love music, but the shit is so pathetic now, it has very little to do with music, everything is based on marketing & promotion! one thing i give the southern artist props on, is even when they are beefing, they still work together.
when they are at these functions,they mobbin together, we aint got no solidarity, you got this nigga speakin on this nigga, and vice versa, power 106 is one of the better stations believe it or not, but we really need to step shit up as far as supporting our backyard on radio. we need more muphucas tryna start up magazines, studyin entertainment law, studyin marketing, more journalist that grew up on this shit. Its crazy. the westcoast rep for the source is from new york!  One thing we need to do is hols "our" westcoast pioneers in higher regard. New York aint go let you forget a muphuca! they stay passin down history, alotta muphucas dont know that the whole sound for the south was invented by a muphuca from riverside, cali, Mr. Mixx from the 2-live crew. Bobcat, DJ Pooh gave LL his first massive hits..westcoast cats settin trends for everybody else and dont nobody, including us even acknowledge it. Sad Shit!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 02:46:16 AM by Realbiggsteele »

Soulful

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 07:15:52 AM »
interesting thread.

they never been lyrically as good as the eastcoast rappers..

Bullshit.
^^^ co-sign..... what kinda bold statement is that u asshole ???

hey kid sounds like youre takin my opinions about westcoast rappers as a personal diss..you should realize how stupid that is..

imo there are no rappers on the westcoast that are as good lyrically as cannibus, big pun, big l, notorious big, nas etc. still i always liked westcoast music more simply cause its been more entertaining and more musical.

sorry for not focusin on what the thread really is about..

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 07:55:24 AM »

imo there are no rappers on the westcoast that are as good lyrically as cannibus, big pun, big l, notorious big, nas etc.

Off top canibus is can. Big Pun and big L are overrated as fuck, biggie only has one good record and San Quinn is seein nas mane. now that we got that cleared up, I love east coast shit so It aint about that wit me but when people say dumb ass shit like "the west coast aint shit compared to ny" that shit is just retarded. You aint gotta love it but it sayin ny shit is superior when its obvious you aint even heard 10% of what the west has to offer is bullshit. We been hearin a lot of east coasters sayin the west aint shit since the 80s and thats faulty as fuck. NY = the original haters. The way I see it, every since the west came in the game the east NEEDS us. Sometimes it seems like rap wouldnt have no type of creative direction at all if it wasnt for us. You entitled to your opinion and all that shit and thats cool east coast shit is more your taste, but that dont mean shit is superior. Funk is my favorite music but I would never say that it takes more talent to play funk than it does to play jazz. yadadifeelme?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 08:02:27 AM »
Man, this shit is so simple. where are all the hip hop media outlets located? New York, (even though we are in Cali and have alotta resources, no one has stepped to the plate)
do we really have a support system out here? No
We fight amongst each other, beef over the dumbest shit in the world, and are haters!
this is kinda like a rhetorical question, there are so many problems, we really need a union that im tryna put into effect and shit really is bad when you got fans pulling soundscan numbers judging shit on who sold what. if i wanted it to look like i sold 20, 25,000 copies this week, there are ways you can "buy numbers" very easy, and the sad part about it people buy into the hype of shit like that, and it works! i love music, but the shit is so pathetic now, it has very little to do with music, everything is based on marketing & promotion! one thing i give the southern artist props on, is even when they are beefing, they still work together.
when they are at these functions,they mobbin together, we aint got no solidarity, you got this nigga speakin on this nigga, and vice versa, power 106 is one of the better stations believe it or not, but we really need to step shit up as far as supporting our backyard on radio. we need more muphucas tryna start up magazines, studyin entertainment law, studyin marketing, more journalist that grew up on this shit. Its crazy. the westcoast rep for the source is from new york!  One thing we need to do is hols "our" westcoast pioneers in higher regard. New York aint go let you forget a muphuca! they stay passin down history, alotta muphucas dont know that the whole sound for the south was invented by a muphuca from riverside, cali, Mr. Mixx from the 2-live crew. Bobcat, DJ Pooh gave LL his first massive hits..westcoast cats settin trends for everybody else and dont nobody, including us even acknowledge it. Sad Shit!

treal spill cuzzin. I heard 40 was gonna buy KMEL back in like 97. Imagine if we started ownin our own radio stations and had a legitemate  outlet for our artists to be heard. With as many people as we have in the bay and southern cali there aint no reason why we shouldnt be able to go platinum in cali alone. But what I dont get was about 10-15 years ago when you NEVER heard rap on the radio/mtv, etc how was the west movin such large units? What happened to word of mouth? I heard a tight ass line in a redman song yesterday that speaks on it a little bit, "Fuck the radio, thats not the blueprint/ as long as the street dj is yellin NEW SHIT!!"