Author Topic: Truth Hurts Interview  (Read 324 times)

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
Truth Hurts Interview
« on: April 30, 2002, 12:57:35 AM »
i just found this Interview:

SIXSHOT.COM had an opportunity to sit down with Dr. Dre protégé and AFTERMATH recording artists Truth Hurts who's hot single "Addictive" is changing the game.

SIXSHOT: O.K., the name, “Truth Hurts”, that’s hella original.....where did the name come from?

TRUTH HURTS: From Dre. He named me according to my personality. I say what I mean and mean what I say. I give it straight, no chaser.

SIXSHOT: The single “Addictive” is bananas...from your ultra-strong vocals that are disturbing, haunting and full, to the breakthrough production by DJ Quik, to Rakim surprising appearance. Where did the idea for “Addictive” come from and how did it come together? Is that what we can expect on the rest of the soon to be released disc “Truthfully Speaking”?

TRUTH HURTS: The idea for addictive came from a bunch of great minds. Quik had the beat for about a year. A lot of artist tried to ride it but couldn’t do it. Quik brought it to me and thought I could take it to the next level. I heard it, thought it was great, and immediately took it to Dre. As soon as he heard it, Dre said, “This changes the game”, and called Quik up and told him he wanted it.

As far as the lyrics go, Dre and I sat for ten hours…ten…trying to write a song for the beat and couldn’t do it. Then, Dre called Static from the group Playa. Static came over, and it took him ten minutes to put the song together. And he did it all off the top of his head. He never wrote anything down.

SIXSHOT: How would you describe your singing style?

TRUTH HURTS: It’s a mixture of different kinds of music: Classical, Old School Jazz, & Soul. To be a great singer you have to study. I think I’ve done that. I’ve studied a lot. I have a lot of passion, love, and respect for music. I’ve taken things from different kinds of music and made them my own.

SIXSHOT: How did you hook up with Dr. Dre?

TRUTH HURTS: We hooked up about five or six years ago. It was a tough time for me. I was going through a bad marriage. I met Dre through a friend who was affiliated with Bad Boy. I auditioned and joined a group Dre put together. After things didn’t work out with that group, I joined Aftermath as a songwriter.

SIXSHOT: What’s your favorite track on your soon-to-be released disc?

TRUTH HURTS: Well there are 15 tracks on it. That’s a tough one. The song “Next to Me”, is one of my favorites. Another song, “Bullshit”, written by one of my album co-writers and good friends, Taura Stinson-Jackson, is a favorite of mine. All my songs are from the heart and very passionate. So its hard for me to choose.

SIXSHOT: Who has influenced you and your singing style?

TRUTH HURTS: As far as songwriting goes, I use my life experiences when I write. As far as singing, I love Jazz. Etta James and Phyllis Hyman have been big influences. Wow, there are so many, Stevie Wonder, Teena Marie, Patti LaBelle.

SIXSHOT: How do you write your songs? What process do you go through as a songwriter preparing to write?

TRUTH HURTS: I would describe my songwriting style as PASSIONATE. I write about what I go through. Everything is passionate for me. When I write everything is with concern and from the heart…and I shoot straight from the hip.

SIXSHOT: When you hit the studio what kind of mood are you in? How do you approach the work you have to do in the booth?

TRUTH HURTS: I strive for excellence and really push to make it to that next level. I really want to give all I have. And Dre is with me. He’s waiting to hear the best best vocals from me, and I expect it too.

SIXSHOT: Who would you like to work with?

TRUTH HURTS: Teena Marie is at the top of my list. I love Portuguese Love.

SIXSHOT: Do you guest star on any tracks?

TRUTH HURTS: I’m on Rakim’s album, I did a song for Eminem’s album but I’m not sure if its going to make it on there. I’ll also be on Dre’s album, DETOX.

SIXSHOT: Are you touring?

TRUTH HURTS: We’re trying to get it started right now. I’d really like to do an Aftermath Family Tour. I’d love to do that. I love working with family, and that’s what Aftermath is.

SIXSHOT: When does the CD drop?

TRUTH HURTS: Early June.
(ren)

Don Seer

Re: Truth hurts Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 01:08:53 AM »
nice interview

poor infinite again

SIXSHOT: Do you guest star on any tracks?  

TRUTH HURTS: I’m on Rakim’s album, I did a song for Eminem’s album but I’m not sure if its going to make it on there. I’ll also be on Dre’s album, DETOX.  

it could be on there ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 01:52:39 AM »
Thanx, good interview. I can see her doing big, big things in this next year, she's working with some the best in the business  :o

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

KVB

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 02:20:06 AM »
I probably won't buy the album... but anyway, thanks for posting this interesting interview

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 02:39:28 AM »
I probably won't buy the album... but anyway, thanks for posting this interesting interview

why?

KVB

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 02:47:59 AM »

why?

I don't buy soft R&B records...

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
Re: Truth Hurts Interview
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2002, 02:55:49 AM »
Oh ok! But u listen to Soft R&b ;-)

KVB

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2002, 03:03:10 AM »
Oh ok! But u listen to Soft R&b ;-)

No, I don't...

Dedicato

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • AFTERMATH MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 04:08:21 AM »
AiiighT!  ;D

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 04:54:52 AM »
i'll pick this up fo sho! sounds real good ;)

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2002, 08:15:48 AM »
overseer u seem to have tha inside scoop on lots of shit......is it me or does it seem like from peeps iz talkin bout that rakim's album is either done or really close to it.......i mean if ra had time to do that verse with truth then i think he would be done the classic....what do u think......holllllllllllllla
peace

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2002, 08:30:31 AM »
is it me or does it seem like from peeps iz talkin bout that rakim's album is either done or really close to it.......i mean if ra had time to do that verse with truth then i think he would be done the classic....what do u think......holllllllllllllla
peace

Personally I don't think Ra's album is almost finished, I think he's still working on it, Dre obviously doesn't want to rush this as he's said he wants this to be one of the greatest albums he's ever worked on & to reach that status it takes time & patience. Considering that Quik had that "Addictive" beat for about a year now I don't think it took that long to complete (in terms of penning & laying Truth's lyrics down) & Ra's verse wasn't exactly very long was it, I bet it took him no longer than a few hours (if that) to pen, he basically had the subject matter straight away to work with, so. I wouldn't be suprised if "Oh My God" didn't drop this year to be honest, I see it having more of a beginning of 2003 release date honestly.  Guess we'll have to wait & see.....it's gonna be worth the wait though  ;D

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2002, 08:32:59 AM »
i just got big ears (eyes?), and have prolly seen nuff things go by to make a guess.. lol

dre and ra have definitely been spending a lot of time together judgin from various reports for the last 6 months... looks like OMG will drop on target at the end of the year..as long as Dre doesn't get sidetracked into Detox.. which is being worked on too

Tito

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2002, 08:34:51 AM »
I can see her doing big, big blow jobs with that fat lips in this next year.....

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2002, 04:26:36 PM »
704d go grab the souce unless you got it already bro.....theres a interview with truth hurts in it and she said it took rakim 5 minutes to do that verse........i dont know if he already had that verse in his memory for years or he just wrote in that quick of time but she said it took str8 5 minutes to do that verse and even tho thats not that long of a verse 5 minutes is crazy........ima a mc and i cnat put shit together like that nor do i know anyone really that could do that like that......i think also overseer and 704d has to do with sales u know what im sayin, how truth's album and knocktrunal's will do, cause u know em's is gonna be off da roof.........and of course if they not done yet then yah know it wont come out, but if ra's out wit truth and ra's most likely doin that track with em then dre's just keepin ra in peeps mind to b like oh shit i cant wait for da god...........hollllllllllllla
peace