Author Topic: kind of a survey for rap fans  (Read 754 times)

Smooth

Re: kind of a survey for rap fans
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2002, 07:15:09 PM »
1. do you only listen to rap/hip-hop? No, but 95 %

2. if so why? Because it's the most REAL music-form out there.

3. if not,what else do you listen to?

About 95 % hiphop
about 3 % r'n'b
about 1 % rock
about 1 % other ish

Word
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Jome

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2002, 08:47:15 PM »

2. if so why? Because it's the most REAL form of music out there.

3. if not,what else do you listen to? R&B/Soul/Trance/ classical rock kinda shit/Jazz

-{bLaDe}

Agree with Doggystylin: Give credit you mothabusta!
I want credit for 95 % of that post, as least the others credited me, but you just quoted and took away the quote-credits.

*LiL|Jome sues bLaDe|DoN for 25$ mill. and 3 blunts.
;D

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2002, 08:56:46 PM »
I dont really agree with anything you're saying Tanjint. I kind of see where you're comin' from.. but I dont agree. I was raised on Rap. I've been listening to it as long as I can remember. It's the only music I listen to... fuck the percents.. I dont own one cd that's not Rap. Still though.. I dont hate on other kidns of music, I know there's good in Rock, I know there's good in R&B.. It just aint my music.. it doesn't move me.

I REALLY REALLY disagree with what you say about wishin Rap was invented by White People. If Hip Hop was invented by White People.. It wouldn't be Hip Hop.. It'd probably be Hip Hap.. or Hip Hoppidy.. or some other shit.. but definatley not Hip Hop. It wouldn't have the same meaning or the same power behind it. I know that whole Gangsta Gangsta shit is played out.. but that's what Raps alwayz been.. it's been the voice for the Youth comin out of tha Urban streets of America. You gotta take the negative with the positive. You just aint lookin deep enough. Just like Rock Music has it's greats.. they got their not so greats.. People who jump on stage and piss on the audience, burn shit, make music with no real meaning.

I used to only listen to Gangsta Rap.. NOTHING BUT GANGSTA RAP.. I'm older now though.. I aint tryna be no gangster.. I know that life is false.. I've been gettin into alot more underground shit.. still from tha same ghettos.. but delivering a whole other message. Listen to Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Blackalicious, Common, Dead Prez, The Roots, The Pharcyde, Outkast, Pep Love, Black Eyed Peas, De La Soul, Defari, Brand Nubian, Quasimoto, Masta Ace (Mainly "Disposable Arts"), Aceyalone, Mos Def... the list can go on and on and on.. They might not all have a postive message.. but they all express theirselves in their own artistic way. Of course you aint gonna find innovative shit on tha Radio or on MTV.. they only play what's in at the moment..

And I dont only listen to Underground stuff.. I can still listen to Rap with little meaning.. I'm still West Coast to tha fullest and still listen to all my Gangsta shit.. not all music has to be serious and meaningfull... It's not wrong to listen to bouncy, shallow music... sometimes you just wanna kick back and party.. it just depends what kind of music you like.

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2002, 10:00:06 PM »

Agree with Doggystylin: Give credit you mothabusta!
I want credit for 95 % of that post, as least the others credited me, but you just quoted and took away the quote-credits.

*LiL|Jome sues bLaDe|DoN for 25$ mill. and 3 blunts.
;D

LOL sorry, *bLaDe|DoN gangsta slaps LiL|Jome around a bit with a few yokozuna sized blunts, punches his gut makin him inhale dat shit

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2002, 10:09:18 PM »
i listen to hip-hop but not only hip hop. my favorite rock bands are rage against the machine and system of a down. but for a hella long time i been on this 70's funk/soul binge. in my changer right now you got curtis mayfield, delfonics, stevie wonder, parliament, harold melvin & the blue notes, isley brothers, al green. and for people that were hatin on the beatles, yall need to step back and re-evaluate. true they were mostly poppy in the early days, they came up with pure genius later in their careers. to not appreciate their music ridiculous. peace

elneckio

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2002, 08:01:04 AM »
do you only listen to rap/hip-hop?
nope

if not,what else do you listen to?
Loads and loads of different things... Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Staind, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Moby, Inxs.... the list could go on for a long time !

(btw nice to see another Pearl Jam listener up there ;) )
"just do what he says.. i find to my expense he's always right." ... Overseer 24/04/02

techniec

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2002, 08:45:13 AM »

2. if so why? Because it's the most REAL music-form out there.

3. if not,what else do you listen to?

About 95 % hiphop
about 3 % r'n'b
about 1 % rock
about 1 % other ish

happy Jome?  ;D

Jome

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2002, 09:30:34 AM »

happy Jome?  ;D

Yea, I must say that, yea.
;D

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2002, 06:41:23 PM »
For one thing i already stated i liked Outkast so who should be takin the negative with the positive now? also,the other groups you named such as jurassic 5 and dilated peoples...even though they ain;t gangsta rap they just braggin about how dope they are at rapping...nothing profound there either...the weakness in your argument against me in this debate(this is just a debate,nothing personal,just a civilized discussion) is that you're coming at me like i'm a stranger to hip-hop,when i'm just someone who's been disillusioned by it and used to be HEAVILY into and i realize it ain't all that i thought. also i know it would be different if whites invented hip-hop...if i didn't think it'd be different then why did i say that? Just to be racist,i hope you know me to be above that. and why did you condescend and patronize me by saying i'm not gonna find anything good on mtv...trust me,someone as jaded as myself knows mass media sucks ass. I'm not attacking you,i'm just trying to give a better understanding of my mentality....also my main statement was that rap has so much more potential but hardly anyone uses it...i'd like to see a response to that...

criminal 909,you easily had the best response to this post and i very much appreciate you taking your time in doing this and i'd like to continue this discussion.thanks to everyone for their feedback and i'd still apreciate more.peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Trauma-san

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2002, 08:09:36 PM »
I listen to probably 20% rap right now.  When I was the deepest into it, I was listening to proably 60% rap... I got a few problems with rap, thats' why I'm slowly fallin' away from it.

1st off, like Tanjint said, rap has sooooooo much potential, but yet it utilizes nothing.  It's poetry! It could be so great, rock songs are so simplistic, most are 4-5 lines, over and over, and they are so deep, hit home all the time.  Rap has a hundred lines sometimes, and most of the time, 95 of them are crap.  How can I take a guy seriously, when he's pouring his heart out about his life of sin, then the next line says "Let the hos that I used to know lick me from my head to toe"... or something to that effect.  I know how to have sex, I don't need Tupac instructing me... ya know?  Notwithstanding, that song is great, though.  And songs like it are great, but that's when I was a big fan.  Nowadays, you don't see that much anymore.  There's no REAL left in rap... the ONLY rap artists I've been impressed with, on ANY level lately, are Outkast, and Hittman.   Even Hittman slips into the same thing, but he is very creative.  I guess I could say Knocc is pretty creative, too, though.  Rap needs to take a good, hard look at the examples Tupac and biggie set, about writing emotional rap.  There were people before them that did it too, but these guys did the best at it.  I also think De La Soul is doing a great job with rap.  Even their stupid songs are dope, and they don't have to talk about how long their penis is to reassure their manhood... Listen to crap like "3 is a magic number" or "Me Myself and I" or "Stakes is High" by them... all great, great rap.  Or check out that track by Roscoe, "The Brother" that samples the cheers theme, over on www.WCKillaz.com.  That's how rap needs to head, not the way Jay Z and Nelly are taking it.  Maybe Rakim will save us, I know he's capable of it.

Anyways, other than that, right now, i'm really into alternative/rock type stuff... Our Lady Peace is a great example of a very talented band, deep lyrics.  Weezer is another band i'm into right now, lyrics aren't deep, but their melodies are great.  I've been listein' to some singer/songwriters too, like John Mayer and Glen Phillips.  Download a track by Glen Phillips called "Fred Myers" .. it's about him living in an abandoned department store... "Go out there, drink moonshine, cheap brothels, on the westside, dig deep holes, to china, just stay in my bed at fred myers" cool stuff.

My favorites of all time are and remain:

The beatles, the doors, hendrix, Michael Jackson, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Joel, The Temptations, Franky Sinatra, U2, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, etc. etc. etc. thousands of others

Tha_Chozen_1

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2002, 08:41:51 PM »
Yo, What ever you into, It's GREAT to have ya back!!!!

WOOP WOOP!!!!!! Trauma's Back!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2002, 10:03:21 PM »
trauma very concisely re-summarized my statements and it's appreciated,thanks man. Beatles,Doors,Hendrix,Nirvana are my faves at the moment and probably for time to come as well,peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2002, 10:04:54 PM »
I listen to mainly rap. I listen to other stuff, but 80% rap, and why. Because I can relate to rap, I listen to it word for word, take what the person is saying and I can see it in my life. 2Pac was my favorite, because no matter how bad my day was, 2Pac had a song about it. Snoop is one of my favorites 'cause he always cheers me up. I take Snoop as fictional stories, like a movie. I listen to Snoop and do into an imagionary world that is made up, and is funny with Snoop Dogg wit.

Other raps I fell on an indivual basis. I'm feeling Ras Kass and his stands on many issues, same with Common, and Mos Def. I like Jurassic 5's sound and their flow, and Dilated People I think is the most complete hip-hop act out there today. I like listening to new hungry underground acts, like Techn9, and Don Cisco and Lil' Rob.  I used to never worry about underground acts, 'cause the Beat and Power used to keep people informed about what was out there, but now it's basically you gotta get the stuff yourself, or hear it from a friend. So lesser acts don't get radio time, unless you have a club hit. That I think hurts rap, and hip-hop in general.

I used to listen to nothing but westcoast. To me, Ready to Die sucked, Master Ace was the greatest thing out of New York, Rakim needed better production (imagion someone saying that about Eric B...LOL) and Gangstarr was tight as hell. Everyone I didn't mentioned was hated on, Puffy, Redman actually, I like Meth and the Wu, but never actually bought their shit, Nas was alright, but no 'Pac, Tribe had skills but overrated with two 5mic albums. Things changed after 'Pac died, as after Westside Connection, and Makaveli, westcoast put out trash. Doggfather was bad, Art of War was alright, but could have been a lot better, and then came Wu Tang Forever which was tight, and Life After Death, which I bought, making me replay Ready to Die and evaulating eastcoast.

As I see hip-hop now, we are in a commercal era, which is bringing in lots of money, but at the cost of culture. Hip-hop is it's own culture, Rap/MCing, DJing/Beat Box, Break Dance/Pop Locking, and Grafiti, and it seems everything is getting lost. The true sound, the subject matter, ad the meaning. Rappers used to mean something, as Public Enemy, 2Pac, Ice T, Ice Cube, Rakim, KRS-One, and almost everyone else had a message. Sure they had their radio songs, and their club hits and songs saying shake your ass. But we need something to dance too, but they also said some real shit. Now I buy a CD with nothing but club hits, and really no message. Even Puffy's first CD had something I can feel, but after that, it was club hits, and rocking Ice. All this money, and sex, and fast cars. I don't have what they have, so I can't relate. So I slip in an old Naughty By Nature CD, and listen to really rap. And someone actually counted the word nigga used in a song. Now N.W.A. was considered to be hardcore and what not. They were the extreme in the old school, and they had the dirtest lyrics of everyone. Well most CD's now average the word nigga twice as much as it was used by N.W.A. on Straight Outta Compton, and some of the uses of nigga on Straight Outta Compton actually had meaning behind it. Today it's cursing to curse, sex and money just to brag about it, and materal good to advertice. Shit, this is not what it was about, and I ain't bought a rap CD in a while. I refuse to buy and support an industry that isn't caring what they say. The last CD I bought was Dueces and Trays, and that was because I love Snoop. Other than that, I want to get Nas, I heard it many times, know some songs by heart, and got a copy, so as soon as I can get money, I'ma support Nas. But everyone else needs to earn my money, 'cause money's tight and I ain't bling bling.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2002, 10:53:28 PM »
M dogg,that's cool that you came out like that,based on what you just said i suggest you pick up The Beatles Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band....it makes you look at the little things in life with new wonder,arguably the greatest record ever,and the outro even has a hip-hop feel to it,pick up Nas' new joint and then pick up Sergeant Pepper,you won't be disappointed,anyone else temporarily disillusioned with rap? I have been and i felt shitty that there was no musical refuge so i turned to various modern rock acts....I looked at Limp Bizkit and they fell off too soon....i looked into Korn but not enough melody/coherency/rhyming for me,i looked into metallica but too hard and impersonal with the melodies..i respect korn and metallica but i just can;t get very into them......so i just kept buying mediocre rap albums until one day i heard the doors break on through in its entirety and my life was changed. You don't have to waste your doe on mediocrity there are tons of classics out there outside of rap that you've been ignorant to,i have been too and i'm just catching up!  The Doors self titled debut,The Doors' Strange Days,The Beatles's Abbey Road,damn near anything by Hendrix! There is life after rap! No offense to rap but we need new wine! dig?  Rap at the moment is stagnated,all rap has been good for is to speak on black oppresion and ghettos and such,can't they think of anything else worthwhile??? Don't get me wrong,it doesn't mean they don't have talent, Crooked I is talented as fuck but he talks about the same stupid shit!  so i'm not saying there's no talent,hell i rap! but people like me and infinite and mouse and a few others are actually proficiently introspective but of course gets no love unless we're calling someone else a fag in a rap or use a violent simile and half of you call it a metaphor.....don't be ignorant....because i know why you cling to rap.....the same reasons i did about a year ago....rap makes you feel cool(if you're not black,if you're black you already feel cool....),rap is the "hip" music hip-hop comes from ..yes i'm going to say it...."Hip" "POP"....."Hip Pop" is what the term derived from,it's popular and it's in touch with kids primitive mental obsessions,therefore hip,so until you're secure with yourself listen to the newer music to you (like beatles doors and hendrix and nirvana etc....) on headphonesand you may come the conclusion that it's cool as well....if you don wanna rush out and buy the stuff i'll make a little list of recommended downloads to give you some samples of sthe stuff

The Doors-Break On Through(To The Other Side)
The Beatles-I Want You(She's So Heavy)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience-I Don't Live Today
Tool-Aenima
Nirvana-On A Plain
The Doors-When The Music's Over
Pink Floyd-Another Brick In The Wall Pt.2
The Beatles-Come Together
The Jimi Hendrix Experience-The Wind Cries Mary
Tool-The Swamp Song
Led Zeppelin-Kashmir
Curtis Mayfield-Little Child Runnin' Wild
Nirvana-All Apologies
The Doors-Five To One
The Beatles-Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Sergeant Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band (Reprise)-probably the first hip-hop/rap beat,and it was made in 1967
Led Zeppelin-Stairway To Heaven
Metallica-The Unforgiven....

GOD the list goes on.....i'm so frustrated because i know ard it was to get me to listen to anything but rap when i was like you too! I was stubborn too,i said the same things "Rap is REAL! Rap is poetry!" etc... and this is true but i can't put into words the wonders of classic rock....sorry for wasting your time but i just want everybody to feel how i feel in a way..no offense to rap,i like rap generally speaking but i needed a break around the time when i could admit to myself the things that M dogg just stated......peace-Tanjint

westcoastavengers.com

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2002, 11:13:07 PM »
criminal 909,you easily had the best response to this post and i very much appreciate you taking your time in doing this and i'd like to continue this discussion.thanks to everyone for their feedback and i'd still apreciate more.peace-Tanjint

Thanks, I wasn't tryna have a heated argument.. just kind of wanted to conversate about it... cuz I've been trippin on this same issue over tha last couple weeks.

I still stick to most of the things I said though. You have to take the negative with the positive.. just like Rock has it's Insane Clown Posse's (even thought they kinda rap).. they got alot of worthless rock music out there... Punk Rock, for example.. it's a whole other part of Rock Music.. but it's still Rock. Most of that music is written off as trash.. Hip Hop has it's different types of Rap also.

Sorry if you felt I was patrionizing you.. that wasn't my intention...I noticed when you said you liked Outkast the first time.. I just thought they were a good group to add to my list. Outkast is an easy group to get into though.. their shit got pretty good air play and good promotion on almost all their cd's they've dropped. Also, If you're looking for positive, meaningful lyrics... you should probably stop lookin for them in Crooked I. He's a gangsta rapper... If you're into Hip Hop music and you're lookin for some raw tallent who can freestyle like few others.. Crooked I's your man. Same goes for Kurupt. Same goes for Biggie.

I know Jurassic 5 and Dilated aint bringing nothin new to tha table as far as lyrics go.. but they still come with their own style.. they put their own sound, their own art into their music. I like it. They do their own thing.. they're not rappin about their "Bling Bling" or about "Murda"..

I've seen your post before.. you used to post way back in tha day.. You seem like a good person.. I dont think you're racist and believe you are beyond that.. I still think your statement was wrong though. I think kinda condescending towards black people... kind of like White People are smarter than Blacks, Blacks aren't capable of comin' up with good music as much as Whites. That's just the way I understood it though. I'm not puttin words in your mouth.. you can correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with your main statement... Rap has SOOO MUCH potential and not enough people use it. But I already respoded to you with my list of artists.. I think alot of them explore with Hip Hop and add their own twist to it.. If you'd like.. I can try to list more people.

Damn... I was fuckin stoned when I started writing this.. I straight lost my buzz...

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee