Author Topic: kind of a survey for rap fans  (Read 757 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: kind of a survey for rap fans
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2002, 11:26:25 PM »
it's not so much black people/white people as it is black culture/white culture,it's like...eminem is a white person but he is immersed in the black culture and that's okay. Jimi Hendrix was a black person and he was immersed in white culture and that's okay. but Black culture has a sense of entitlement,the sense that they are always being held down and that they are owed something for being held down. At this point rap has no real controversy surrounding it because,due to raps influence white cultures membes expect black cultures members to behave like rappers,they keep themselves down,Rap made an initial statement with gangsta rap and that was significant now it's time to move on to something new but as long as these people can milk white kids with rehashes of 10 year old lyrics,they will....somehow i doubt white cultures members would do this...in example the beatles...their lyrics were constantly progressing when they could have kept selling doing the same dumb stuff over....beatles may be a bad a comparison cuz they're some of the greatest so lets say metallica...oooh yeah metallica was also a very progressive band....uhhh doors...also progressive....tool.....progressive....nirvana....musically formulaic but lyrically developing....the list goes on....the only really progressiveness in hip-hop is outkast and dre's marketing skills...it's not because the white culture's members are better smarter or more talented because the black culture could do just as much but they're holding themselves down...right now rap has no controversy so everybody's dissing eachother,i wouldn't know about the disses unless i read it here....that says something to me, for a good rock diss  check "how do you sleep?" by john lennon (about paul mccartney),the rock hit 'em up,peace-Tanjint
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Tha_Chozen_1

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2002, 11:55:52 PM »
Ya know, for tha last several years I have only listened to hip hop.  Yeah, I was pretty closed minded about my music.  Even worse, I only listened to West Coast, with the exception of Red and Meth.  Yeah, If it wasn't West, I wouldn't even pick it up.  But now,  I try to be more open to other styles of hip hop and even started geting into other styles of music altogether.  On a personal note,  The more and more I get closer to God and exercise my relationship with Jesus, I find my self stepping away from "worldly" music.  Hip hop to be more precised.  But don't get me wrong, My love for Hip Hop it self will NEVER go away. It is who I am.  But to be honest, some of tha music out there isn't good for tha soul, ya know?  But anyway,  Five years ago I started playing tha Bass guitar.  And Hip hop was tha ONLY thing I was listening to.  So even today, no matter what style I am playing, You can hear the Hip Hop feel I put into it.  That's just who I am.  I try to give it that funky DJ Quik feel.  I have also taken after Warren G's style in my own playing as well.  But as I grow Musicly, I find my self getting into Jazz, Blues, and Soft Rock lately.  I listen to alot of Spyro Gyra now.  If yall don't know who thay are, you've missed something.  Thay are Jazz.  I love it.  And Melvin Taylor plays GREAT blues.  So yeah, My musical horizon is getting bigger, slowly but surely.  Oh yeah, I just love gospal music.  I have always had an ear for gospel.  Believe it or not,  Nate Dogg and his Gospel touch to Hip Hop is one of the biggest things that got me hooked to hip hop.  I don't care what any body sayz.  You just can't fuck wit Nate Dogg.  Ha.

Peace.

The Watcher

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2002, 11:58:38 PM »
1. do you only listen to rap/hip-hop? No, but 95 %

2. if so why? Because it's the most REAL music-form out there.

3. if not,what else do you listen to?

About 95 % hiphop
about 3 % r'n'b
about 1 % rock
about 1 % other ish

^ as above. except i listen/daze out to trance/dance/rave etc when im druggin' it up. dont listen to r&b @ all.
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

4 KiN L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Me Beamer...
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2002, 12:12:08 AM »
01. no, but i only buy rap.

02. n/a

03. mostly r 'n' b besides rap,

Joachim

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2002, 12:14:37 AM »
1. do you only listen to rap/hip-hop?
Nope

2.if so why?  N/A

3.if not,what else do you listen to?
Drum N Bass, Jungle, Soul, Reggae

stu-22

• 'G'
  • "Music and herb go together" Bob Marley
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2002, 03:10:13 AM »
i listen to about 30% hiphop and 70% other types

i really only listen to hip hop when im on the computer apart from the albums i consider classics and i never grow tired of. these include all biggie, jayz RD, illmatic, stillmatic, wutang 36chambers also play ghostface's albums occasionally. the westcoast doesnt get played, actually i play black sunday once in a while. Most rap i buy gets gets no play after a few weeks.

The majority of the music i listen to consists of The Beatles (mainly the older stuff, magical mystery tour and abbey road geting the most listens), rolling stones (Hot Rocks is a perfect compilation of the rolling stones material i like), bob dylan (anything - usually listen to his greatest hits cd), van morrison (astral week & moondance are classics but i also love his newer stuff like Enlightenment, the first half in particular), the kinks, mamas and the papas, the birds, the doors (not that much tho), neil young (Harvest), Tom Petty (not that much of late), the eagles. im sure im forgeting some but that sort of stuff. lots of bob marley. lou reed.
I was into alot of britrock/indie stuff so i still listen to the likes of oasis, superfurry animals, cast, plus alittle blur and ash.
Then i also listen to goldie (only timeless but its superb), also luv prodigy's early stuff (prodigy experience must be one of my al time most played albums).
finley quaye, morcheeba.......

god almost forgot happy mondays and stone roses!!

"I saw a thing in a magazine the other day, 'All drugs are bad. Librium's good, Valium's good. But cannabis, ooooh!' I hate that unreasoned attitude." Paul McCartney

"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason, it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation & makes crimes out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which government is founded." Abraham Lincoln

"There is no greater tyranny, than that which is perpetrated under the shield of law & in the name of justice" Montesquieu

"Laws that threaten do not persuade" Seneca

stu-22

• 'G'
  • "Music and herb go together" Bob Marley
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2002, 03:12:57 AM »
maybe i should change that to 15% hip hop 85 % other
"I saw a thing in a magazine the other day, 'All drugs are bad. Librium's good, Valium's good. But cannabis, ooooh!' I hate that unreasoned attitude." Paul McCartney

"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason, it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation & makes crimes out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which government is founded." Abraham Lincoln

"There is no greater tyranny, than that which is perpetrated under the shield of law & in the name of justice" Montesquieu

"Laws that threaten do not persuade" Seneca

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2002, 08:55:20 AM »
It'd be weird switching from rap. I've listen to rap since I was little, and aside from Low Rider Oldies, R&B, and classic rock and classic soul, rap is my main music. I like raps production, and the lased beats. Everyone around me at home listens to rap. Ask Criminal_909, go outside of a high school and rap is all you hear in people cars. But I listen to other stuff, it's just gotta be good.

Scribe

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2002, 09:39:14 AM »
1. Do you only listen to rap/hip-hop?

Yes

2. If so why?

It's just my preference, I just can't get into any other form of music. Hiphop has such diversity that it keeps my attention so I don't have to look to other forms of music.
"Without The Elements It's All Irrelevent" Jurassic 5

"This world better acknowledge me I'm over ambitious
Do almost anything to rob a genie for his wishes." 57th Dynasty

"We didn't give a toss about money, fame or stardom
Just about the culture, the music, slang and jargon." Blak Twang

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude" Public Enemy

"If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Of My Face" Zach De La Rocha

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2002, 10:02:19 AM »
do you only listen to rap/hip-hop - No
if so why? n/a
if not,what else do you listen to? Drum n' Bass, Trance (mostly from 98/99 that's when it was at it's best, Old Skool Trance, Old slool House, progressive old skool trance, Speed garage, Big Beat, Break Beat, and hard house....

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2002, 03:27:55 PM »
I listen to probably like 95% rap.  The other stuff would be:

1.  Insane Clown Posse (even though I consider them rap, most people don't)
2.  Beck
3.  Frank Sinatra....peep the Sopranos soundtrack and listen to "It was a very good year"...tell me that ain't tight!

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2002, 04:40:45 PM »
do you only listen to rap/hip-hop? No  

if not,what else do you listen to? I listen to West Coast Rap & 70's Funk and Soul

lala

• Lil Geezy
  • One
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2002, 07:49:18 PM »
it's not so much black people/white people as it is black culture/white culture,it's like...eminem is a white person but he is immersed in the black culture and that's okay. Jimi Hendrix was a black person and he was immersed in white culture and that's okay. but Black culture has a sense of entitlement,the sense that they are always being held down and that they are owed something for being held down. At this point rap has no real controversy surrounding it because,due to raps influence white cultures membes expect black cultures members to behave like rappers,they keep themselves down,Rap made an initial statement with gangsta rap and that was significant now it's time to move on to something new but as long as these people can milk white kids with rehashes of 10 year old lyrics,they will....somehow i doubt white cultures members would do this...in example the beatles...their lyrics were constantly progressing when they could have kept selling doing the same dumb stuff over....beatles may be a bad a comparison cuz they're some of the greatest so lets say metallica...oooh yeah metallica was also a very progressive band....uhhh doors...also progressive....tool.....progressive....nirvana....musically formulaic but lyrically developing....the list goes on....the only really progressiveness in hip-hop is outkast and dre's marketing skills...it's not because the white culture's members are better smarter or more talented because the black culture could do just as much but they're holding themselves down...right now rap has no controversy so everybody's dissing eachother,i wouldn't know about the disses unless i read it here....that says something to me, for a good rock diss  check "how do you sleep?" by john lennon (about paul mccartney),the rock hit 'em up,peace-Tanjint

This is incredibly ignorant.  Jimi Hendrix was involved in black music, basically playing blues but with electric gutairs, you can try and deny it as much as you want like other ignorant people such as Ted Nugent but the fact is people want to act like Rock is white when its black, just like almost all music of the 20th and early 21st century.

The second part is borderline stupidity to denegrate the black struggle to black peoples being basically ingrates is crazy.

Also I see you bigging up alot of old rock such as the Beatles and Zepplin who are of course great, but why use them as comparison points to rap artists now?  Why not compare them to the rock now, and realize that rock itself is in much more dire straights than Hip-Hop has ever been.  Go back in rap history and find what you missed whether its old BDP albums or Ice-T, Public Enemy, Black Sheep, etc.  Don't sell rap short because you have issues with the struggle in the ghetto.  Which brings me to another point, that you must not have looked very deep into hip-hop if all you can find is descriptions of the ghetto lifestyle.

Hopefully you get my point.

One

Trauma-san

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2002, 07:56:08 PM »

This is incredibly ignorant.  Jimi Hendrix was involved in black music, basically playing blues but with electric gutairs, you can try and deny it as much as you want like other ignorant people such as Ted Nugent but the fact is people want to act like Rock is white when its black, just like almost all music of the 20th and early 21st century.

The second part is borderline stupidity to denegrate the black struggle to black peoples being basically ingrates is crazy.

Also I see you bigging up alot of old rock such as the Beatles and Zepplin who are of course great, but why use them as comparison points to rap artists now?  Why not compare them to the rock now, and realize that rock itself is in much more dire straights than Hip-Hop has ever been.  Go back in rap history and find what you missed whether its old BDP albums or Ice-T, Public Enemy, Black Sheep, etc.  Don't sell rap short because you have issues with the struggle in the ghetto.  Which brings me to another point, that you must not have looked very deep into hip-hop if all you can find is descriptions of the ghetto lifestyle.

Hopefully you get my point.

Country, Classical, Heavy Metal, Alternative music are 4 huge genre's that jump out that were entirely dominated by whites.

Who cares, anyways?  It doesn't matter, black people have black music, white people have white music, it's all good.  

lala

• Lil Geezy
  • One
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2002, 08:01:18 PM »

Country, Classical, Heavy Metal, Alternative music are 4 huge genre's that jump out that were entirely dominated by whites.

Who cares, anyways?  It doesn't matter, black people have black music, white people have white music, it's all good.  

heavy metal and alternative are derivative of rock therefore black music merely coopted by the white majority.

Except music students and older people who listens to classic music seriously?

Country has been incredibly influenced by black music in a way that black music hasn't been by it.
One