Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 286789 times)

Jome

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #1890 on: August 17, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »
Yeah, maybe we could get Seer to replace / (which actually is the sticky icon, but you can hardly see the shadow), with a better icon..

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1891 on: August 17, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »
Yeah, maybe we could get Seer to replace / (which actually is the sticky icon, but you can hardly see the shadow), with a better icon..

Yea, I said that when these first became the sticky icons...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1892 on: August 17, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
Laker Report: August Chat Wrap

By Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 16, 2006, 18:55 

August is traditionally the vacation month for the NBA.  Summer leagues have long since wrapped; most free agent signings have been completed.  Thought there are a few stragglers (the Al Harrington to Indiana deal has been imminent for what seems like months), the next six weeks should prove to be relatively uneventful for the Los Angeles Lakers.  For the diehard NBA fan, even these quiet days of summer are ripe with topics of conversation.  The following write up is from my recent web chat, moderated by TK421.

In various published reports and interviews, Laker GM, Mitch Kupchak, has indicated that the team is "one or two players away." I'll assume that when he says "away," Kupchak means legitimate championship contention.  Do the other members of the management team share the same sentiment? And what type of player that would be (superstar etc)?

Well we heard Magic Johnson last season on radio say LA was one great player and one good player away. I would say that the Lakers got a good player in Vladimir Radmanovic.  He's not great, but
he's good. I think the Lakers are still one great player away, but that may be a challenge to fill. I would say that from top to bottom, the team is more confident about the upcoming season than the fans are.

So superstar great?

I don't necessarily mean superstar, but star caliber. Another borderline All-Star like Lamar Odom would do wonders. But to answer the first part of the question, the Lakers believe they are better than they were last year.  Talking with people in and around the team, they feel (as many fans do) that they were one rebound away from going to the second round of the playoffs.  There is great confidence that they would have beaten the Clippers and the Dallas Mavericks (especially after watching what Dwyane Wade carve up their defense).  From the team perspective they had a shot at the finals last year - and now they're even better.

Are the Lakers done making transactions until the season starts, or are they currently looking into some possibilities?

Well every team in the league is always looking at possibilities.  Tat never stops.  Even last year after the trade deadline, the Lakers picked up Jim Jackson (after the Phoenix Suns waived him).  The challenge with the Lakers is that the triangle is so difficult to pick-up mid-season that nearly all player movement has to happen before training camp (probably why Jackson probably had such a small impact last year).  With that in mind, I don't think the Lakers have a lot of options left this summer. It's been a pretty quiet off-season league-wide - not as many major transaction as people thought there would be. Paul Pierce extended in Boston; Allen Iverson didn't get moved, etc.  I would say there's a decent chance that near training camp, when the Lakers have to decide on players like Devin Green, JR Pinnock and Von Wafer, that they make a Jumaine Jones\Kareem Rush type trade (a player out for a second-round draft pick and trade exception). The Lakers probably won't bring Pinnock to camp.  Players in camp sign contracts with the team and if Pinnock does - and they cut him - the Lakers lose his rights. So I would say that there's a chance Pinnock goes overseas instead of joining up with the team, but that's just a hunch.

Will Smush Parker be a likely starter at the one again, or will the likes of Shammond Williams or Jordan Farmar replace him?

I think going into camp Smush is the starter. As always it's up to the players to determine the rotations by their performance. I would say that the Lakers have Farmar penciled in as the third point guard, behind Smush and Shammond. But I have a feeling that Farmar will eventually play himself onto the floor. I'm very high on him having watched him play in Long Beach (Summer Pro League) and UCLA.

How did the organization feel about Bynum's summer league play as far as an indication of how many minutes he'll get this year?

I know there was a piece by Roland Lazenby which quoted Tex Winter questioning Bynum's work ethic a bit. But keep in mind that Tex is a very honest man who doesn't hold back.  He doesn't necessarily represent the Lakers perspective. If you saw Bynum firsthand last year at the SPL, he was really lost and struggled to simply gain position in the post.  This year he showed enormous progress. He was a legitimate player on both sides - BUT his consistency was lacking. I don't think he' not ready for a lot of minutes - but I've heard the hope is 12-15 mpg (which puts Chris Mihm's role into doubt).  It's said that the Buss family is very high on Bynum and that they won't entertain trade talks.  A lot of teams have made calls this summer regarding Bynum.

So how much time do you think management will give for this group of players (i.e. Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown, etc. before trying something drastic)?

That's a good question.  Well to break it all down, Kobe is Kobe.  They'd like to keep him as long as he can play like Kobe. The vision is Bynum developing into the long term starter at center. Brown has yet to show he can play power forward in the triangle.  I imagine they try it again at some point to see if they can have a future front court of Kwame/Bynum, but Brown's role after his contract is up is certainly questionable if Bynum is the full time starter. By the way, Collective Bargaining Agreement Guru Larry Coon recently informed me that Brown has a 7.5 percent trade kicker.

So if you have Bryant and Bynum to start, the next question is point guard.  Can Smush overcome the playoff disaster against the Phoenix Suns?  Can Farmar develop into a starter?  I think they'll even experiment with Odom at the one to see what he can do.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Farmar ends up the starter down the road.  I've seen a lot of summer league games through the years and I've never seen someone operate so fluidly in the (abbreviated) triangle offense so quickly.

The tandem of Radmanovic and Luke Walton should fill the small forward position successfully.

Finally, can Odom become a consistent player?  He was very strong after the trade deadline. Was that a function of his shoulder finally healing after surgery last off-season? Can he be that good day in and day out?  If he can, I think he stays a Laker for some time. If not, I think they may consider moving him.  Perhaps the Lakers in two years could be Farmar, Kobe, Radmanovic, Odom and Bynum. At this point, even Laker management can't know.  We'll all be witness to them figuring it . . .

Have you had a chance to check in on Lamar's emotional condition after the tragic death of his newborn son?

I haven't spoken to Odom since the season.  I just saw him on Entourage (got the DVD's for the first 2 seasons, I'm kind of late to the show). Having two young daughters has made me very sensitive to his situation. I can't even really put this sort of thing into words, it's too painful really. I'm still traumatized about my older daughter cutting her forehead at Sav-On a few months back. She's fine; they would have done stitches but did a derma-bond instead.  Anyway, I'm still haunted by the moment she fell, especially when she runs around at stores today.   I can't even imagine what the Odom family is going through.

Is Phil on board for the rest of his contract? Any mention of a potential successor and if the Lakers will continue to use the triangle offense?

I expect Phil to finish his contract.  It all depends on his health. He has a lot of issues with the body; hopefully he'll improve over time. The rumor is Brian Shaw is next in line, but it could just as easily be Kurt Rambis or Jim Cleamons. With the Lakers buying an NBDL franchise, it would appear they want a training ground for the triangle. I guess it depends what happens when Phil's contract is up.  Does he extend? Is there some high-powered coach available to take over? Do they try to steal Coach Krzyzewski again? Or do they stick in-house with a guy like Shaw? That's another one that no one really knows for sure.  I imagine Phil has some thoughts on it, but I'm not sure he's willing to discuss that with the media at this time.

What about the roster right now? The Lakers have a lot of players as it is, are they going to have to cut some? And in addition, what's up with Laron Profit?

Well the injury that Profit has (ruptured Achilles) takes about a year and a half to heal. There was a recent article (I forget the source off the top of my head) that mentioned a few teams looking to sign him. I don't think he's ready yet, and I don't think he'll be 100% by the time the season starts. I would guess that he rehabs with the team (as much as is legal - not practice with the team, etc) and the Lakers go with a full roster of 15 players.  If a roster spot opens up mid-season, it could be for a then healthy Profit. As far as the rest of the roster, I would estimate the starting rotation on opening night to be (and this is just my opinion):

PG Smush\Shammond\Farmar
SG Bryant\Evans\Sasha\McKie
SF Radmanovic\Walton
PF Odom\Cook\Turiaf
C   Brown\Mihm\Bynum

With the variables being who gets the second center minutes, Mihm or Bynum?  Who gets the second power forward minutes, Cook or Turiaf?  Of the army of guards in the backcourt, how does that rotation work out with Bryant playing nearly 40 mpg?

The above suggests that Pinnock goes to Europe, Profit and Green aren't signed, and Wafer is cut. But again, nothing is decided.  Camp is still a ways away and there's always a chance the opportunity to balance the rotation that comes up via trade. That said, I think the Lakers are willing to go to camp as such.

Where does Mckie fit into this?

Well I would think he's trade bait or eventually a possible contract buy-out. There hasn't been much said about him, other than the possibility that he could be a buy-out candidate (though I'm told that's unlikely at this point).  I suppose if Devin Green really plays exceptionally well in training camp, they could consider cutting McKie.  I suppose it depends on how seriously the Lakers plan on making a trade (even with their predilection for not making mid-season trades). McKie, packaged with Mihm and perhaps Cook could be necessary to balance salaries should LA find a deal. As I said earlier, there isn't much available that would readily help the Lakers. They made a stab at Al Harrington but it looks like he'll be a Pacer soon.  They didn't want to overpay Drew Gooden (though I'm not sure Cavaliers' GM Danny Ferry was looking to gift-wrap him to LA anyway).  I also don't think they want to go all out for a guard until they get a feel for just how good Farmar can be.

Is the return of Cleamons an indication of new emphasis on defense? And (not directly related) does that mean that the Lakers intend to make the triangle their offense even after Phil Jackson and Tex Winter are gone?

Cleamons would have returned last year were he not under contract with the Hornets.  He's just coming home. As I talked about earlier, I think the Lakers plan on sticking with the triangle beyond Phil, but it's too early to tell. I don't think anyone knows for sure how it will play out.

Honestly, last year seemed like a trial-and-error year.  Do you think this coming season will be like that too, and how does that affect the team's competitiveness?

Well I would say that two seasons ago was more "trial-and-error" - error mostly. Last year was very focused, just painful for the fans to sit through. The first time Jackson took over as coach of the Lakers he had Shaquille O'Neal in peak condition.  He had a a squad of Lakers that should have already been wining titles.  Everyone on the team was learning the triangle together for the first time (save Ron Harper and Spider Sally), so the entire group was on the same page developmentally.  This time around it was Bryant and Devean George, who knew the triangle inside out. Cook and Walton had a solid year's worth of experience.  Half the team had a pseudo half year with Rudy Tomjanovich leaving and Frank Hamblen taking over mid-season.  Then there was a bunch of players with no triangle experience at all.

Certainly the talent level last season wasn't what it was in 2000, but the learning process was also quite uneven.  Eventually the team did put things together, but when the Suns adjusted in the playoffs, the Lakers didn't have a wealth of common experience to fallback on.  Hopefully now that the team has had some time together and there's more talent and depth, this coming season will be more consistent.

Moving onto next year, is our best chance at getting a superstar via trade or free agency in 2008?

Well getting a superstar is no easy trick. It can be nearly impossible.  I personally don't think the Lakers will get under the cap. If anything, they may plan to be under around 2010 when LeBron James can opt out of his contract. It's hard to anticipate the next two summers until after this season is complete.  Do they move Mihm, etc? If they had landed Harrington, that probably would have taken away any chance at cap room in 2008. As far as trade, it's very hard to move a superstar and get the right pieces back (just ask Mitch Kupchak, who didn't get near equal value for O'Neal). The Lakers appear to be operating like they' won't land that superstar any time soon, but considering that they already have one of the top superstars in the league . . . that's not a bad position to start from. They'll improve slowly; make a jump here or there when the time is right.  If they get lucky they'll land another superstar.  Perhaps if 1) The Minnesota Timberwolves start out horribly.  2) Kevin Garnett demands a trade to Los Angeles 3) Wolves' GM Kevin McHale's mind is taken over by robots . . . then maybe the stars align, but I don't think the Lakers are sitting around counting on the day they land Garnett.

Where do the Lakers see Odom playing this Year? Power forward?

Odom is the best power forward on the team right now, so unless they luck into another.  He's their guy. If they get the chance to experiment with brown at the four and he blossoms that might change.  Cook isn't quite a starter and Turiaf has a lot of potential but is too young and raw. I would say by default that makes Odom the starting four.

Do they plan on using Sasha Vujacic as a point guard or strictly as a shooting guard?

Vujacic's role is hard to quantify. At times in the playoffs he outperformed Parker, but keep in mind that both Vujacic and Parker were in way over their heads.  They had never been faced with that kind of pressure (professionally) before.  Now the Lakers have enough depth (though none of the guards other than Bryant stand out yet as excellent), that they can pick and choose situations for Vujacic where he can succeed.  If he can hit the open shot and continue to irritate players like Allen Iverson, Mike Bibby, etc - maybe there's a future for him as in Los Angeles.

Here's a bunch of specific trade requests: Anything with Juan Howard? Melvin Ely? Bonzi Wells?

I mentioned Juwan Howard recently in an article, but that was more about me framing things for the fans with the trade bait the Lakers have to offer . . . if David West was the ideal, (a young high post four to balance the front court with Bynum) . . . the more likely acquisition would be the less scintillating Juwan Howard. For some reason some Houston fans ran with it, or with their own information, and a rumor was born. I think Ely would be a center in the triangle and since LA already has three, I don't think he's a consideration (though if he's cheap enough I'm sure the Lakers would consider it).  Wells is a tough one.  I can't see how he ends up a Laker as he won't take the minimum.  Would the Sacramento Kings actually trade him to LA? And if so, for who?  I don't expect any of those players in LA, though Howard would be the most likely of the group in theory.

Why do you think Kwame is having such a hard time at power forward?

I don't think Kwame has a complete game. He has strengths but some serious weaknesses. The center position is the most simple in the triangle.  The forward positions are further away from the basket and involve a lot more decision making. Defensively he can guard either position, in fact he quite a gifted post defender.  That's an extremely valuable piece to the Laker puzzle; however he's to prove a knack for blocking shots. He doesn't have much of an outside shot and tends to rush without thinking when he has the bull. So far the four just doesn't work, but long term it'd be great for the Lakers if he could somehow figure it out.

Since we are just about out of time, I figured I'd ask this question. When can we expect the next issue of Swish Magazine to be released, and how many articles/columns do u have in the next issue?

The next issue should be arriving any day now. I keep waiting for the UPS guy to ring the bell. I have just one article in this one - my Dog with a Bone column (which is probably my favorite column that I write). This time around I take on Tim Thomas and I don't think he's going to be happy with how it came out . . . though I think it's a nice piece.

Well our time is up, thank you for stopping by to answer questions.  Any parting thoughts?

I wish I could come in and say the Lakers were going to do all these magical trades, but the fans will just have to be a little patient and cut them a little slack as they stumble forward.  It's slow around this time of year, but once training camp starts in October, it should be an exciting year.  I think the Lakers have a legit shot at 50 wins. I don't think the West around them has improved as much as advertised.  Given the right match ups, it could be a decent playoff run . . . though I don't think this is yet a championship level team.

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1893 on: August 18, 2006, 01:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the article.. interesting read.

wcsoldier

« Reply #1894 on: August 18, 2006, 02:32:18 AM »
Good read... dude is always on point with his articles

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1895 on: August 18, 2006, 03:42:46 AM »

You would be suprised how many people over at realgm.com's Lakers forum don't like Pincus.. they can't stand anything he says.

wcsoldier

« Reply #1896 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:26 AM »

You would be suprised how many people over at realgm.com's Lakers forum don't like Pincus.. they can't stand anything he says.
It's all matter of opinions.. imo he comes correct with his arguments about the Lakers

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1897 on: August 18, 2006, 04:42:45 AM »

It's all matter of opinions.. imo he comes correct with his arguments about the Lakers

Yea I understand.. I was just saying it's amazing how many people don't like dude.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1898 on: August 18, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
Emplay is an alright dude in my book. I disagree with him a lot though...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1899 on: August 20, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
Kobe Following USA Team, Knee 'Coming Along Extremely Well', + More.

Forgive Kobe Bryant for letting his thoughts drift overseas. While recovering from the Lakers' disappointing first-round exit from the 2006 playoffs and arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, Bryant recently turned his attention toward Japan and Italy for two very good reasons.

Bryant has followed Team USA in its preparation for the World Championships, which started with a 111-100 win over Puerto Rico yesterday in Sapporo, Japan. The shooting guard watched workouts in Las Vegas and plans to join the squad for competition next summer.

``I'm dying; I want to get out and compete," said Bryant. ``I want to hound the opposition with the fellas. It's definitely tough. I just want to go out there and help us win."

Looking to make contributions abroad in other ways, Bryant provided a unique opportunity to eight minority college students this summer by funding travel scholarships with his new VIVO Foundation. After spending eight days touring Italy -- with stops in Rome, Florence, and Venice -- the students returned to California last Wednesday.

``It just shows them that there's more out there than just your city or neighboring states," said Bryant. ``The possibilities are limitless. It's a global society that we live in and I just want to open them up to that. You get inspired. You come back with a new outlook on things. You just know that things are possible."

Bryant has big plans for the VIVO Foundation and the travel program. He hopes to send students to other countries such as Spain and France, support program graduates if they want to study overseas, and arrange a trip to China in 2008 to coincide with the Beijing Olympics. That way, students can experience a different culture and watch their benefactor play international basketball.

Bryant has kept a close eye on Team USA in its training for the World Championships, calling Carmelo Anthony the other day to leave a voice mail with the message, ``Let's go." He will be watching the tournament intently as he continues rehab on his right knee.

``The knee is coming along extremely well," said Bryant. ``We're doing a lot of strengthening exercises now. I'm not on my feet yet, as far as running and doing squats. But I'm strengthening the quad and things of that nature.

``I can actually stand up and bend my knee. I've got normal range. I can walk normally and go up steps, things of that nature."

The memory of the first-round loss to the Phoenix Suns drives Bryant in his rehab program and other offseason preparations. He said he harbors no ambition of defending the first scoring title of his career, which he earned with an average of 35.4 points per game. He maintains that he will provide whatever the Lakers need on the court.

``I can [score] as needed," said Bryant. ``We've added some firepower to the team with Vladimir Radmanovic. It's about finding what the team needs. We're in communication with each other every week, just talking back and forth about the upcoming season, about how the summer is going, about how the team is shaping up. [My scoring] really depends on what we need and what we feel like would be best for us as a ball club from game to game. That's how we approach it.

``A lot of [preparation] is the mental part of the game and coming up with a strategy for this season. Obviously, making additions to the team is part of it.

``From a leadership perspective, it's about looking at the team and how guys are doing. I talk to Lamar [Odom] every chance I get to see how he's doing. I make sure Smush [Parker] is doing OK, guys are staying up with their training. I talk to Ronny Turiaf every now and then.

``I'm just making sure everybody is keeping the loss of last season fresh in their memories and is ready to go."

Bryant added that he talks weekly with coach Phil Jackson, that the two ``have a great relationship" now. But don't expect Bryant to join Jackson on any motorcycle tours through the wide-open West just yet.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1900 on: August 20, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »
^ good to see Kobe & Phil actually have a relationship now. I wonder what's different about their relationship this time around, hmmm...  ;D
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1902 on: August 29, 2006, 10:58:56 AM »
Ummm, who unstickyed this?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1903 on: August 29, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »
Gunna post these in here, since no one checked the commercial thread...Some Laker related commercials:

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1904 on: August 30, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
Someone please take "Sticky:" out of the thread title...