Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 287035 times)

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #1980 on: October 02, 2006, 11:38:06 PM »
Lakers Media Day Photos

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 11:41:04 PM by ING »

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #1981 on: October 03, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »

Doggystylin

« Reply #1982 on: October 03, 2006, 12:37:55 AM »
smush looks like hes got this confused with the mortal kombat auditions

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1983 on: October 03, 2006, 01:12:44 AM »
damn that nigga smush parker looks bulked up too.

lmao!!!!!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #1984 on: October 03, 2006, 07:35:39 AM »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1985 on: October 03, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »
smush looks like hes got this confused with the mortal kombat auditions

LMAO.

And LMAO@Turiaf looking like he came straight out the jungle.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1986 on: October 03, 2006, 10:56:28 AM »
Cook, Lakers Discussing Deal

10:00 PM PDT on Monday, October 2, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

EL SEGUNDO - Brian Cook has one year left on his contract, but he said Monday that the Lakers and his agent have begun contract extension talks.

Cook said no salary has been discussed but that he hopes to sign a multiyear deal with the Lakers before the month is over.

The Lakers picked up Cook's option for his fourth season last year, meaning he'll earn $1,817,141.

That showed Cook and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, that the Lakers liked the 6-foot-9 forward.

If the Lakers don't tender Cook an offer before Oct. 31, the deadline for teams to sign a player, he'll become a restricted free agent after this season. The Lakers then can match any offer Cook might receive from another team.

"This is a big year for me," Cook said. "This is my contract year. I don't have no job yet. We've been trying to negotiate an extension at this point. I'm trying to be here for a while, but you know how the business is."

Cook had surgery on his right thumb in July and said he is about 75 percent healthy. He said he doesn't have full flexibility in his hand just yet but that he should be able participate in practices during training camp.

Cook, known for his outside shooting ability, averaged a career-best 7.9 points and 3.3 rebounds last year.

Cook, a first-round draft pick (No. 24) in 2003, played in 81 games, starting in 46.

"If there's a deal that makes sense, then we'll get something done," Bartelstein said in a phone interview. "Brian wants to be there, and I'm sure the Lakers would like to have him there. So we'll see what happens over the rest of the month."

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1987 on: October 03, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
^trade him! especially since we have Radmanovic.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1988 on: October 03, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Naah, I don't think we'll get a player of equal value in return if we traded Cook, plus, I hear he's improving a lot...Funny to see McKie in the press conference photos, I wonder if he'll make the roster afterf all?

LA Lakers-
PG Smush Parker...Jordan Farmar/Shammond Williams
SG Kobe Bryant...Sasha Vujacic/Aaron Mckie
SF Vladimir Radmanovic...Luke Walton/Maurice Evans
PF Lamar Odom...Brian Cook/Ronny Turiaf
C Kwame Brown...Chris Mihm/Andrew Bynum

LA D-Fenders (Lakers D-League Team)-
PG Von Wafer
SG JR Pinnock
SF Devin Green
PF Marcus Slaughter
C Marcus Douhtit

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1989 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:53 PM »

Naah, I don't think we'll get a player of equal value in return if we traded Cook, plus, I hear he's improving a lot...Funny to see McKie in the press conference photos, I wonder if he'll make the roster afterf all?

they're both probably gonna be traded in a package deal. for who? i dont know.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1990 on: October 03, 2006, 04:57:46 PM »

they're both probably gonna be traded in a package deal. for who? i dont know.

I was thinking more along the lines of McKie for some 2nd rounders, freeing up a spot for Devin Green...Von Wafer needs major development and JR Pinnock should also work on refining his game for a year before making the final roster...That leaves us with the roster I've been claiming (and hoping) will probably be the final one selected:

LA Lakers-
PG Smush Parker...Jordan Farmar/Shammond Williams
SG Kobe Bryant...Sasha Vujacic/Maurice Evans
SF Vladimir Radmanovic...Luke Walton/Devin Green
PF Lamar Odom...Brian Cook/Ronny Turiaf
C Kwame Brown...Chris Mihm/Andrew Bynum

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1991 on: October 03, 2006, 04:59:21 PM »
Rambis in Charge

With Lakers coach Phil Jackson undergoing right hip replacement surgery today, and with his timetable for a return uncertain, assistant Kurt Rambis will run the practices.

Rambis said there will be no differences in philosophies and that the main thing is to get the players prepared for the regular season.

"Hopefully, they won't look at me as a substitute teacher," Rambis said.

Rambis took over as head coach of the Lakers 12 games into the strike-shortened 1998-99 season after Del Harris was fired.

Rambis tied a then-NBA record with nine consecutive victories to start his head coaching career. He guided the Lakers to a 24-13 record and took them to the Western Conference finals.

He was replaced by Jackson after that season.

Rambis said not having Jackson around won't affect the growth of the team.

Rambis said enough of the players understand the offense and that the Lakers have a great coaching staff that includes Frank Hamblen, Jim Cleamons, who just rejoined the staff from the Hornets, and Brian Shaw. Rambis said all the coaches work well together.

Plus, Tex Winter, the guru of the triangle offense, will be around during training camp.

"We understand what needs to be done," Rambis said. "We also understand how we have to push the players so that they can get to the point where they're playing good basketball as early as possible."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1992 on: October 03, 2006, 06:20:14 PM »
Lakers Have to Watch Their Step-
They limp into camp with Bryant, Mihm and Cook coming off surgeries and Jackson about to have one. With a fast start imperative, their recovery is vital.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
October 3, 2006

The Lakers limped into their annual media day, smiling for cameras and granting interviews after taking stock of more pressing concerns — knees, hips, ankles and thumbs.

Almost five months after being psychologically nicked by the Phoenix Suns, the Lakers aren't quite physically ready. Kobe Bryant, Chris Mihm and Brian Cook are still not at full strength after undergoing three distinctly different surgeries in July.

Coach Phil Jackson, also ailing, stopped by the team facility in El Segundo on Monday, slowly and painfully, before leaving the scene for a while. He is to return with a new right hip, in time for the season opener Oct. 31 against Phoenix.

Training camp begins today, but Bryant's right knee won't be ready for full speed for a while longer, although he said he would play in the season opener. Bryant ran Monday for the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in mid-July to clean out scar tissue and other debris. He jogged a handful of 400-meter laps and called it a day, his condition to be re-evaluated daily.

"We've kind of been pacing it during the summer and that's going to continue," Bryant said. "It feels really strong right now so we don't want to do anything that'll set us back. We're just kind of taking our time doing little by little and then seeing how it reacts the next day. If it's not aggravated, then just step it up and continue to do that."

Mihm will run later this week for the first time since having scar tissue removed from his right ankle, part of an injury that kept him out of 24 of the team's final 25 games last season. It will be two to four weeks before he returns to the court.

Cook will actually practice today, although he acknowledged having only about 75% of the dexterity in his right thumb after it was torn open in a freak accident at a West L.A. health club. Cook sustained an open dislocation after hitting the backboard while blocking a shot.

Longtime trainer Gary Vitti would be employee of the month if the Lakers end up taking advantage of a home-friendly schedule to start the season. Fifteen of their first 20 games are at home, and a 16th is a designated road game against the Clippers.

"We really have to get off to a great jump this season if we want to have that kind of a record that moves us up in the standings and the playoffs," Jackson said. "Obviously, Kobe's got to go a little bit slower, Chris Mihm a lot slower than we anticipated. That's one of the reasons I insisted on having camp here in L.A. I think it will help us get grounded, be here at home, get healthy with our staff and medical people here and our facility here."

The Lakers hold training camp in Hawaii every other year and usually post up in San Diego or Santa Barbara for training camp in years when they don't go to the islands.

Regardless of camp location, the Lakers have some obvious work to do coming off a 45-37 season. They last took the court in a 121-90 loss to Phoenix, the most lopsided Game 7 loss in team history and only the eighth time an NBA team lost a series after holding a 3-1 lead.

Bryant had 24 points in the final game, only one in the second half, a talking point for part of a Lakers' off-season that began just a few weeks after he officially won his first scoring title. Bryant later called the criticism "completely inaccurate."

The Lakers got ahead in that series by pounding the ball down low and spreading the offense evenly, a concept championed again by Jackson for the upcoming season.

"Probably, Kobe's going to have to take less shots unless we get more as a team," Jackson said. "More players have to be involved in the aspect of scoring. That's something that has to be a conscious effort because he can get shots and he knows how to get them. It'll be a conscious effort on his part as to how to do that. I don't have a number, but I think he shot like 26, 27 times last year. … Probably even three less or four less is going to be a marked difference and that's OK.

"We've got some guys that can score in Vladimir Radmanovic and people that are going to need shots, that are shooters, Shammond Williams, etc., that are going to be assets to us if we take advantage of them."

Jackson, who has never hidden his disdain for the exhibition season, might return for an exhibition game or two after undergoing hip replacement surgery today at Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center. At the very least, he's expected back by Oct. 31.

"Dr. [Lawrence] Dorr, who's doing the procedure, tells me I'll be walking with pride at the opening night against Phoenix," Jackson said.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #1993 on: October 03, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »
Odom Considered Skipping A Season, Bryant Maintains Body Weight, Douhtit & N'Diaye Sign Non-Guaranteed Contracts

October 3, 2006

During his lowest of low points, Lamar Odom briefly considered skipping this season. He lost his 7-month-old son, Jayden, to sudden infant death syndrome in June and was robbed at gunpoint in July. Said Bryant, a sounding board for Odom during the off-season: "When I last spoke to him, I said, 'Bro, don't even think about basketball. That's beside the point. Just think about you and your family.' "...
Bryant has maintained his upper-body strength despite not being able to run. He is listed at 220 pounds, same as last season. "BALCO," he said, smiling. ... Forward Marcus Douthit and center Mamadou N'Diaye have signed non-guaranteed contracts.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #1994 on: October 03, 2006, 08:00:17 PM »
Lakers Have to Watch Their Step-
They limp into camp with Bryant, Mihm and Cook coming off surgeries and Jackson about to have one. With a fast start imperative, their recovery is vital.

October 3, 2006

The Lakers limped into their annual media day, smiling for cameras and granting interviews after taking stock of more pressing concerns — knees, hips, ankles and thumbs.

Almost five months after being psychologically nicked by the Phoenix Suns, the Lakers aren't quite physically ready. Kobe Bryant, Chris Mihm and Brian Cook are still not at full strength after undergoing three distinctly different surgeries in July.

Coach Phil Jackson, also ailing, stopped by the team facility in El Segundo on Monday, slowly and painfully, before leaving the scene for a while. He is to return with a new right hip, in time for the season opener Oct. 31 against Phoenix.

Training camp begins today, but Bryant's right knee won't be ready for full speed for a while longer, although he said he would play in the season opener. Bryant ran Monday for the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in mid-July to clean out scar tissue and other debris. He jogged a handful of 400-meter laps and called it a day, his condition to be re-evaluated daily.

"We've kind of been pacing it during the summer and that's going to continue," Bryant said. "It feels really strong right now so we don't want to do anything that'll set us back. We're just kind of taking our time doing little by little and then seeing how it reacts the next day. If it's not aggravated, then just step it up and continue to do that."

Mihm will run later this week for the first time since having scar tissue removed from his right ankle, part of an injury that kept him out of 24 of the team's final 25 games last season. It will be two to four weeks before he returns to the court.

Cook will actually practice today, although he acknowledged having only about 75% of the dexterity in his right thumb after it was torn open in a freak accident at a West L.A. health club. Cook sustained an open dislocation after hitting the backboard while blocking a shot.

Longtime trainer Gary Vitti would be employee of the month if the Lakers end up taking advantage of a home-friendly schedule to start the season. Fifteen of their first 20 games are at home, and a 16th is a designated road game against the Clippers.

"We really have to get off to a great jump this season if we want to have that kind of a record that moves us up in the standings and the playoffs," Jackson said. "Obviously, Kobe's got to go a little bit slower, Chris Mihm a lot slower than we anticipated. That's one of the reasons I insisted on having camp here in L.A. I think it will help us get grounded, be here at home, get healthy with our staff and medical people here and our facility here."

The Lakers hold training camp in Hawaii every other year and usually post up in San Diego or Santa Barbara for training camp in years when they don't go to the islands.

Regardless of camp location, the Lakers have some obvious work to do coming off a 45-37 season. They last took the court in a 121-90 loss to Phoenix, the most lopsided Game 7 loss in team history and only the eighth time an NBA team lost a series after holding a 3-1 lead.

Bryant had 24 points in the final game, only one in the second half, a talking point for part of a Lakers' off-season that began just a few weeks after he officially won his first scoring title. Bryant later called the criticism "completely inaccurate."

The Lakers got ahead in that series by pounding the ball down low and spreading the offense evenly, a concept championed again by Jackson for the upcoming season.

"Probably, Kobe's going to have to take less shots unless we get more as a team," Jackson said. "More players have to be involved in the aspect of scoring. That's something that has to be a conscious effort because he can get shots and he knows how to get them. It'll be a conscious effort on his part as to how to do that. I don't have a number, but I think he shot like 26, 27 times last year. … Probably even three less or four less is going to be a marked difference and that's OK.

"We've got some guys that can score in Vladimir Radmanovic and people that are going to need shots, that are shooters, Shammond Williams, etc., that are going to be assets to us if we take advantage of them."

Jackson, who has never hidden his disdain for the exhibition season, might return for an exhibition game or two after undergoing hip replacement surgery today at Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center. At the very least, he's expected back by Oct. 31.

"Dr. [Lawrence] Dorr, who's doing the procedure, tells me I'll be walking with pride at the opening night against Phoenix," Jackson said.

:-[ oh no