Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 287418 times)

GangstaBoogy

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #2130 on: October 16, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
Damn Stoudemire: 15 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, and 5 steals (I'll contribute that to the new ball being slippery)!

Smush Parker: 18 points, 5/6 3pts, 4 assist, 2 steals, 2 rebounds

Turiaf: 7 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assist, 1 steal

I like the progress, especially from Smush

The Lakers play the Kings tomorrow on NBA TV, so I can FINALLY see a game.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

d-nice

« Reply #2131 on: October 16, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »
Turiaf reminds me of a more athletic version of Marc Madsen. He is a stats stuffer. 5-7 points, rebounds, assists and hustle plays. He is a good defender also.

d-nice

« Reply #2132 on: October 16, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »
Damn Stoudemire: 15 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, and 5 steals (I'll contribute that to the new ball being slippery)!

Smush Parker: 18 points, 5/6 3pts, 4 assist, 2 steals, 2 rebounds

Turiaf: 7 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assist, 1 steal

I like the progress, especially from Smush

The Lakers play the Kings tomorrow on NBA TV, so I can FINALLY see a game.

Yeah I am trying to get tickets out here in Vegas for it. My girfriend works for the Palms so I told her to talk to Joe Maloof. Hopefully I can snag 1.

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #2133 on: October 16, 2006, 09:38:19 PM »
this going b a good game with the queens..

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2134 on: October 16, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »
And so far...D.green>>>Mo.Evens

Only bad thing is Vlad..he had a nother bad game..And the Lakers have a lot of injuries..
As for Devin Green and Maurice Evans, you're only say Dev is better because you didn't see Game 1 where Maurice Evans had by far the best game either player had in all 3 games. But yea, Maurice Evans did look kinda' shakey out there last night, but I have confidence in his ability and I'm very proud to say that Devin Green is a player who's struggling for a roster spot, cuz if you've watch him play, he doesn't struggle much and that says a lot about our roster...PeACe

I didn't see the game but i did hear the Game...I know that he played good in the 1st pre-season game, i even mention it.

Mo.evens had one good game, the last 2 have been bad....D.Green has had 2 good games....the last 2 games d.green has 3 steals and a monster block & 5-10 shooting (he should be 6-10 but miss a dunk)...while mo.evens has gone 1-9 , 0 steals, 0 blocks and played bad defense against R.Allen...

that's why i said ...D,green>>Mo.evens

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2135 on: October 17, 2006, 09:31:41 AM »
And so far...D.green>>>Mo.Evens

Only bad thing is Vlad..he had a nother bad game..And the Lakers have a lot of injuries..
As for Devin Green and Maurice Evans, you're only say Dev is better because you didn't see Game 1 where Maurice Evans had by far the best game either player had in all 3 games. But yea, Maurice Evans did look kinda' shakey out there last night, but I have confidence in his ability and I'm very proud to say that Devin Green is a player who's struggling for a roster spot, cuz if you've watch him play, he doesn't struggle much and that says a lot about our roster...PeACe

I didn't see the game but i did hear the Game...I know that he played good in the 1st pre-season game, i even mention it.

Mo.evens had one good game, the last 2 have been bad....D.Green has had 2 good games....the last 2 games d.green has 3 steals and a monster block & 5-10 shooting (he should be 6-10 but miss a dunk)...while mo.evens has gone 1-9 , 0 steals, 0 blocks and played bad defense against R.Allen...

that's why i said ...D,green>>Mo.evens

Once again, PRE-SEASON. Maybe he's playing better, still does not equate to him being better...Hell, Brian Cook is playing better than Radmanovich, still doesn't mean a thing...That being said, I like both Devin Green and Brian Cook...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2136 on: October 17, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »
Roster Decisions Close

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
October 17, 2006

LAS VEGAS — The Lakers have some bookkeeping to take care of in the next two weeks, decisions to make on contract extensions and options that will occupy General Manager Mitch Kupchak and the coaching staff until the season opener.

The team must decide by Oct. 31 whether to bring back Sasha Vujacic and Andrew Bynum next season, the former being a reasonably weighty question and the latter a no-brainer.

Vujacic averaged 3.6 points in his first two pro seasons and is due to make $1.8 million next season, a hefty raise compared to the $974,000 he will earn this season. Bynum, the 10th pick in the 2005 draft, averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds last season and will make $2.2 million next season.

"Typically we wait until the end of the month to make that decision," Kupchak said Monday. "They both have had good training camps."

The Lakers are casually negotiating a contract extension with Brian Cook, who makes $1.8 million this season and will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season if the Lakers don't sign him by Oct. 31.

"We've had some talks with his representative," Kupchak said. "I don't know if anything will get done or not."

Cook averaged 6.7 points and 3.4 rebounds over his first three seasons.

"I'd love to be here," Cook said. "I love the city, I love the people. I'm comfortable in this offense. I think it suits my game well."

Less time will be spent on the status of Ronny Turiaf and Smush Parker, whose contracts become guaranteed if they are still on the roster in two weeks.

"I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be," Kupchak said. "It's coach's decision, but right now it looks to me like Smush is one of our starting guards and Ronny's had a great camp."

Turiaf will make $664,000 and Parker will make $798,000.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2137 on: October 17, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
Bynum Does Well.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
October 17, 2006

With Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown sitting out Sunday's game, Bynum started at center and did his best to stay with the run-and-fun Phoenix Suns.

"I thought he did very well," assistant coach Kurt Rambis said. "It was a challenge for him, the speed of the game, whether or not he was going to get back. We've all been on him about loping up and down the floor. He did run the floor well most of the time. A couple times he reverted to his old habits."

Bynum, who will be 19 on Oct. 27, jumped way too early on a lob pass and could have had more rebounds than he did. He had eight points and four rebounds in 22 minutes.

"When he goes in for rebounds, he still has his hands in his pockets and I think again he almost got hit in the head with a ball that ricocheted off [the rim]," Rambis said. "He's got to get in the habit of when he goes in, he gets his hands up.

"I thought he did a good job of playing defense. He was active, he had his hands up, he helped out a good chunk of the time. I was pleased with him. He's getting better and I think he's going to be good, but it's going to be a process.".

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2138 on: October 17, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »
Vujacic Eyes Extension

10:00 PM PDT on Monday, October 16, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LAS VEGAS - Lakers coach Phil Jackson likes him. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak likes him. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant likes him.

With that in mind, Lakers third-year guard Sasha Vujacic is hopeful the team will pick up the option on the fourth year of his contract.

There have been some discussions with the Lakers and Vujacic's representatives about picking up the $1.756 million he would earn during the 2007-08 season. The Lakers have until Oct. 31, the start of the regular season, to get a deal done. If the Lakers don't sign Vujacic by then, he'll become a restricted free agent. But the Lakers will be able to match any offer he receives from another team next summer.

Vujacic, who will earn $973,920 this season, said he spent the summer working on his game in Los Angeles rather than play on the Slovenia national team, so he'd have a good season and show the Lakers how much he wants to spend his career with them.

"I'm confident," Vujacic said about the Lakers picking up his fourth-year option. "It's my third year. I know what I did the previous season. Coming into this season I'm very confident knowing that this is my third year and what happens, happens. Obviously, I want to be here. I like triangle offense and playing for Phil Jackson is always a pleasure."

Vujacic missed the past two exhibition games with a strained muscle in his left foot, but he said he expects to play tonight when the Lakers play the Sacramento Kings at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

"I feel much better," Vujacic said. "I feel 100 percent. I feel strong. No excuses for tomorrow. I just can't wait to go on the court tomorrow and start playing because last two games, (sitting on the) sidelines is hard to digest."

Vujacic made his mark last season on defense, becoming somewhat of a nuisance by drawing offensive fouls and flopping at times.

He needs to continue to improve his jump shot. Vujacic made just 34.6 percent of his shots and 34.3 percent of his three-pointers.

"He's gotten to the point where most of the time he stays with his shot instead of fading away," Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis said. "He's become more consistent with his shot. He understands the offense. He still makes mistakes in it. He still sometimes tries to do too much.

"But we like his ability to move his feet defensively. He's going to have to continue to knock down shots for us and execute the offense. Those are things that are important to us, and it's going to be important for us and his growth as a player, too."

Contract Talks

The agent for Brian Cook, Mark Bartelstein, said Monday that he and Kupchak haven't reached an agreement on a contract extension for his client yet.

All Bartelstein would say is that "we're talking" when he was reached by phone.

Cook is in the final year of a deal that pays him $1.817 million and is looking for a multi-year deal.

The Lakers also have until the end of the month to get a deal done or Cook becomes a restricted free agent. The Lakers can match any offer he receives.

Bynum Progresses

Injuries to centers Kwame Brown (sore right shoulder) and Chris Mihm (right ankle) have put the spotlight on Andrew Bynum, who started in place of Brown on Sunday night against the Phoenix Suns.

Bynum had eight points, four rebounds and one blocked shot Sunday.

He'll probably start again tonight against the Kings.

"I feel comfortable," Bynum said. "The more I play, the more I'm gaining confidence. I played pretty good last night."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2139 on: October 17, 2006, 09:39:30 AM »
Bynum making progress
The second-year center has a long way to go, but he wants to earn more playing time in the regular season.

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

LAS VEGAS – It will be Andrew Bynum's fifth season before he is legally able to partake in the side entertainment that comes with the Lakers' annual exhibition trip to Las Vegas. As this is just Bynum's second season, he might as well make this a business trip.

Bynum, who turns 19 on Oct.27, was in the starting lineup and played 22 minutes in the Lakers' exhibition loss to Phoenix on Sunday night. The Lakers were without centers Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm because of injuries, providing an opportunity for Bynum, who must show coaches he is capable of playing more than rare regular-season assignments.

Lakers acting coach Kurt Rambis called Bynum's eight-point, four-rebound outing "terrific." Bynum even used his left hand for a shot, as Rambis has been pushing for, though the shot missed. That said, Rambis could be seen on the bench laughing after Bynum jumped way too soon for a lob pass.

"I'm earning more time," Bynum said. "I'm doing well in practice; I'm doing well in the games. I had like three blocks; I only got credited for one, though. I don't know what that was about."

Bynum is so poor at playing in transition and defending the pick-and-roll - the two staples of Phoenix's game - that the Lakers' coaches were afraid to use Bynum in the playoffs last season. Rambis saw some progress there Sunday night, though by practice Monday afternoon, teammate Vladimir Radmanovic was chiding Bynum during a scrimmage: "You've got to run."

Rambis also noted Bynum had his "hands in his pockets" during the game instead of being ready to reach for rebounds.

"Again, he almost got hit in the head with a ball that ricocheted off," Rambis said. "He's getting better, and I think he's going to be good - but it's still going to be a process."

Brown (right shoulder) rejoined practice Monday and is expected to play tonight against Sacramento. Kobe Bryant (right knee) halted his recent practice progressions and sat out the workout Monday. Sasha Vujacic (left foot) rejoined practice and plans to play tonight.

VUJACIC'S CONTRACT

The Lakers are expected to exercise their $1.76million option on Vujacic for next season by the Oct.31 deadline. Vujacic stayed in Los Angeles all summer to work out instead of playing for the Slovenian national team, and he said he's "very confident" he'll remain a Laker.

Vujacic - who is now represented by Rob Pelinka, Bryant's agent - focused on increasing his leg strength over the summer, saying: "You must have strong, quick legs to defend. I'm even faster."

Vujacic remains well ahead of impressive rookie Jordan Farmar for backup minutes in the backcourt

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2140 on: October 17, 2006, 09:43:17 AM »
D-Fenders will have Lakers flavor

BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/16/2006 10:39:57 PM PDT

LAS VEGAS - Dan Panaggio can remember the first time he saw the triangle offense, back when he was coaching Quad City in the Continental Basketball Association and watching the Chicago Bulls teams of the 1990s on television.

Now Panaggio has a seat next to Tex Winter for every exhibition game and the job of teaching the triangle to a new generation of players as head coach of the D-Fenders, the Lakers' new minor-league affiliate.

The Lakers are the first team to own and operate their own affiliate in the NBA Development League. The D-Fenders will play home games at Staples Center on the same days as the Lakers and will practice at the team's El Segundo facility.

They also will run the offense that Phil Jackson helped make famous and Panaggio went on to run with two of his Quad City teams.

"I think it's especially important for the Lakers," Panaggio said, "because they have a complex system they play that's different from the norm. Hopefully, we can provide a pool of guys that are familiar with that system so that, if they do need a player, they have one that's semi-trained."

The Lakers will have the ability to assign up to two players from their roster - either in their first or second NBA season - to play for the D-Fenders.
It was an option the Lakers would have considered last season with teenage center Andrew Bynum had their minor-league affiliate not been in Fort Worth, Texas, and had they known Bynum would get experience in the triangle.

"We're going to run it exactly at that level like we do at this level," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said.

Panaggio coached in the CBA for nine seasons and won two championships. He went on to serve as an assistant with the Portland Trail Blazers for four seasons and saw how a minor-league system could benefit young NBA players.

The Blazers drafted Zach Randolph, who played one season at Michigan State, as well as high schoolers Sebastian Telfair and Travis Outlaw, during Panaggio's time.

"They drafted so many very, very young players and they would get 82 pregame workouts once the season started," Panaggio said. "You knew it wasn't enough. It was good that they were getting those workouts, but those young guys needed to play to fully develop."

The D-Fenders will draft players Nov. 2, after the conclusion of NBA training camps. They will open the season Nov. 24 at Anaheim and will play home games at 3:30 p.m. before Lakers games.

Even though the team is owned by the Lakers, the D-Fenders players will be treated no differently than their counterparts in the league.

That means any NBA team - be it the Clippers or the Sacramento Kings - could sign their players to a 10-day contract.

As a result, how the Lakers avoid losing out on their investment of developing players remains to be seen.

Kupchak said he wasn't sure how much the Lakers would make use of the D-Fenders this season. The Lakers have sixplayers on the training camp roster who are eligible to be assigned, including Bynum and rookie guard Jordan Farmar.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2141 on: October 17, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
I finally got to see Farmar play. I like his style. I can see him and Odom being a good duo.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2142 on: October 18, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »
Still no games seen. :'(

Nik & Co. how are we playing? Expecially the new players..

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2143 on: October 18, 2006, 11:01:28 AM »
Nik & Co. how are we playing? Expecially the new players..

I like what I see. All our young guys are really active, they all look like they can contribute in a different way. Jordan Farmar is especially playing well, maybe not as well last night, but he's got a very bright future which hopefully begins with his rookie season (all depending on Phil)... Shammond Williams had a nice game the other night against Phoenix as well, hitting 5-5. I see where he can help the younger guys (he has a very fluid jumper and decent defense, along with tremendous confidence)... Devin Green has improved drastically, he's a very solid player on both ends of the court, really good at holding his ground on defense, now he just needs to improve his jump shot...Maurice Evans was brought in to back Kobe and I can safely say he'll be the first one off the bench for Kobe, which I believe is an upgrade over Profit. He's built very strong, has a nice defensive presence and also packs a deadly offensive game as well if his switch is on. Tremendous acquisation. Radman is in a shooting slump to begin the pre-season, but it's perfectly understandable, considering his shooting hand is badly injured. Aside from his off-shooting, he's been pleasantly surprising in other areas, moving his feet on defense, rotating well, driving to the hoop, even developed a nice cross-over/slash...Andrew Bynum is kinda struggling mentaly out there, but you can also tell he's gunna be good once he gets his shit together. I don't think he will play significant minutes this season :-\ (still young)...JR Pinnock is a nice athletic player, his game looks good for a 2nd rounder, he'll be a steal once he makes our roster (probably next season)...Sasha Vujacic has obviously worked on his game, he's looking like a solid NBA player out there, can't wait to see what he does...Von Wafer is done for, maybe a year of development elsewhere and he can return, but as of now he's been useless...Smush improved his shooting, should be interesting to see what areas he's worked on...Brian Cook improved his rebounding, though he's still a little soft on defense. He's wonderful offensively though...Ronny Turiaf is a very good player, he gives it his all and brings energy to the other players. Very good defender and rebounder. He also has a nice shooting form, which I hope will translate into a nice mid-range game soon...Luke Walton looks more calm and collected, he reminds me of a cross between Rick Fox and a poor mans Odom...McKie got injured again last night and asked to come out. He's done for. The rest are pretty self-epxlanitory...All I can really say is that I can't wait to see how the season plays out...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2144 on: October 18, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »