Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 288193 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #2295 on: October 29, 2006, 01:03:05 PM »
Tragedy still haunting Odom

By David Aldridge

It is a nightmare that only now shows tentative signs of ending. But the horror is never too far away.

"Basketball is starting to become fun," Lamar Odom said last week. "Being around my teammates helps me. It's therapeutic."

The 26-year-old Lakers forward is only now recovering from the shock of June 28. Already in New York for a family funeral, Odom then had to deal with the unspeakable. His 61/2-month-old son, Jayden, stopped breathing while sleeping in his crib, and suffocated.

It was a body blow for a guy who's had to recover from far too many of them in his life. His mother died when he was 12; his grandmother, who then raised him, died just after he'd signed a $65 million free-agent contract with Miami, giving them financial security for life.

Jayden's death was almost too much to bear.

Odom literally could not let go. He held his lifeless son in his arms for a couple of hours at the hospital.

"There was a lot of question marks in my mind as far as basketball was concerned," Odom said. "I felt like quitting at one point, not playing, taking the year off, being with my family. But I think they want me on the court. They want to see me happy. Not in a state of depression or anything like that."

Odom has always been a quiet type, preferring to go through his various trials alone. And he pulled away from just about everybody other than his longtime girlfriend, with whom he has an 8-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son, and his family.

"L.O. has always been a very private person," said Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach Bill Bayno, who recruited Odom in college while he was head coach at UNLV.

Obviously, Odom had trouble dealing with the tragedy.

"For a minute, I handled it by keeping it away from me, by not thinking about it," he said. "But sometimes at night, I [couldn't] sleep. You can't run away from the truth of what happened."

After spending the summer in New York, Odom returned to Los Angeles for training camp this month, with a Bible in his hands and tears in his eyes. The first few days were rough, both physically - he hadn't spent much time working out in his grief - and mentally.

When he looked at tape of those first few days, Odom says he was "way too emotional" on the court.

But he's begun to come around, thanks in part to private conversations with Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"I knew why," Odom said. "Because sometimes things carry over. I had to watch film and kind of check myself a little bit, kind of leave that emotion back at the house, know what I'm saying? But it carries over sometimes, naturally, when you're going through things."

The Lakers need Odom, who became Kobe Bryant's solid second in Los Angeles during an occasionally rocky season. Almost the antithesis of Bryant - can you imagine Bryant saying anyone "is a better player than me," as Odom freely offers about Bryant - Odom and his all-around game are probably more of a fit in Jackson's triangle than Bryant's one-on-one (and two, and three) attacks.

But the Lakers will need a more assertive Odom on offense this season, especially early, as Bryant recovers from off-season knee surgery.

Odom says he's thankful to the Lakers organization for "letting me take my time with things, kind of understanding, like why I was out of shape, and why I'm moody sometimes. They've kind of like been there for me. P.J., the whole staff, I think, kind of really understood. They knew how strong a blow that was for me."

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #2296 on: October 29, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
Lakers Pride 2 more day 8)

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2297 on: October 30, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
It doesn't look like Brian Cook is getting that extension  ;D

"Brian Cook's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Thursday it looks as if his client and the Lakers aren't going to be able to reach a deal for a contract extension. Cook and the Lakers have until Tuesday to finalize a deal. Bartelstein said he has negotiated with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and will continue to talk until then. "My guess is that we probably won't get something done," Bartelstein said in a phone interview. Riverside Press-Enterprise

"I'm not disappointed in how things have gone," said Cook, who had 13 points in the Lakers' 126-108 exhibition loss to the Denver Nuggets at the Honda Center. "I want to be here with the Lakers. But no matter what happens, I'll be good." Cook started 46 games last season. With injuries to centers Kwame Brown (right shoulder rotator cuff bruise) and Chris Mihm (recovering from right ankle surgery), Cook, a 6-foot-9 forward, becomes a primary big man for the Lakers this season. "Going into free agency is not something he's afraid of," Bartelstein said. "If he has a good season, it'll be good for him." Riverside Press-Enterprise
"

I'm not into salary cap and shit, but let me just say that Cook is a good player from the bench. Cook and Turiaff are two great players from the bench we should try to keep. The first can shoot, the second can use his body very well. I'm happy with both of them.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2298 on: October 30, 2006, 04:10:01 AM »
I have a request for all you Laker fans like me: is it possible to make a new topic entitled

* The Official Los Angeles Lakers MULTIMEDIA thread * ?

I'd love you guys to post videos, full games and clips from Lakers games, since i live in Italy and i can't see 95% of the games...

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2299 on: October 30, 2006, 07:54:03 AM »
Radmanovic to play injured

BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/27/2006 12:04:54 AM PDT

ANAHEIM - For his career, Lakers forward Vladimir Radmanovic has taken an average of 300 3-pointers a season and established himself as one of the NBA's most dangerous long-distance shooters.

When Radmanovic fires away this season, however, it could come with a piece of foam taped between the ring finger and pinky on his shooting hand.

Radmanovic has a torn ligament in his shooting hand that likely will require surgery this summer. In the meantime, he will try to find a way to play through the injury, which is not expected to get any better.

"It's frustrating, especially as a shooter," Radmanovic said. "Your right hand is your biggest weapon and you've got it messed up. I'll just have to find different ways to score and help this team win."
After missing the past three exhibition games, Radmanovic returned Thursday night in the Lakers' 126-108 loss to Denver. He finished with seven points on 3 for 9 shooting and fouled out in 21 minutes.

Radmanovic's shot was alarmingly off all game. He barely grazed the rim on a catch- and-shoot jumper in the first quarter and missed everything on a baseline jumper and 3-pointer in the second half.

There also was the sight of Radmanovic extending his left hand - instead of his right - to high five Luke Walton coming off the court in the first quarter.
Radmanovic said there was no guarantee his hand would heal on its own with rest, which could have taken as long as four weeks.

"It feels good until somebody hits you," Radmanovic said. "I just have to find a way to play through it."

He looked real bad in that game..B.Shaw really fucked up his hand >:( i think it's going to be a long year for Rad Man  :-\

wcsoldier

« Reply #2300 on: October 30, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »
I want to stay optimistic but all these injuries look very bad for our beginning of the season

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2301 on: October 30, 2006, 09:32:17 AM »
Rad man should get surgery on his hand, so that at least we'll have him healthy for the playoff push. Right now he can't do much if he can't shoot.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Doggystylin

« Reply #2302 on: October 30, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »
Rad man should get surgery on his hand, so that at least we'll have him healthy for the playoff push. Right now he can't do much if he can't shoot.

thats what i was thinking, id rather have him not play at all than play shitty, Luke > shitty Radmanovic

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2303 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »
Bryant Uncertain

12:05 AM PST on Monday, October 30, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - Kobe Bryant jumped and got rebounds during Sunday's scrimmage at Staples Center.

But Bryant also limped up the court at times and admitted he didn't completely "trust" his surgically repaired right knee.

Bryant still didn't commit to playing or not in the season opener Tuesday night at Staples Center against the Phoenix Suns.

The knee has improved, but Bryant was emphatic when asked how much he could trust it.

"Not much," Bryant said. "You kind of put your foot in the water and see if it's cold. It's kind of doing that a little bit. Like trying to turn the corner, but not really trying to turn the corner and then seeing what that feels like. Then it's like, 'that felt OK.' The next time I can turn it a little sharper and a little quicker. It's kind of like trying to gauge it like that."

Bryant was asked if he thought about his knee.

"Yeah, I'm thinking about it," Bryant said. "But it was better today. It's just seeing how it does. I just take leaps and leaps ...

"It's difficult turning the corner or being able to trust the knee to really pivot and explode off of it. It's still a little sore, but it's better."

Bryant said if there are concerns about him playing back-to-back games Tuesday night and Wednesday night at Golden State, then he'll shut it down.

"If there are any concerns, I probably won't even play," Bryant said. "We want to make sure we get it back to where I'm not even thinking about it."

1 Cut Left

The Lakers have until today at 3 p.m. to get their 16-man roster down to the maximum of 15.

Devin Green has a non-guaranteed contract of about $800,000, and that makes him the most likely candidate to get waived.

Aaron McKie hasn't been able to practice since he suffered disk inflammation Oct. 17 in an exhibition game against Sacramento. But McKie, who missed 50 games last season because of a torn left quadriceps tendon, has a $2.5 million guaranteed contract left and isn't interested in a buyout.

If Green is waived, he can sign a contract with the National Basketball Association Development League Wednesday in time for the Thursday draft. Green could be drafted by any team, including the Lakers' D-League D-Fenders, but the Lakers wouldn't own his rights.

Green also could have the option of going overseas.

Phil on Red

Lakers coach Phil Jackson called legendary former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach, who died Saturday night, "a fierce competitor."

Jackson is tied with Auerbach for the most NBA titles as a head coach with nine. Auerbach often took shots at Jackson, but Jackson said it was because he played for the Knicks.

Jackson told a story about how New York defeated Boston in the 1973 Eastern Conference finals and how his mentor and Knicks coach Red Holzman offered this statement about the hated Celtics and Auerbach:

"'In reference to the Boston Celtics, there's some times you think good overcomes evil and this is one of those times,' " Jackson recalled Holzman saying.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notebook_30.3a8b053.html

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2304 on: October 30, 2006, 11:11:11 AM »
A.Bynum is that Nigga  8) :bandit:

Arizona Republic: "Shawn Marion took a charge Oct. 22 that he is still feeling. Lakers center Andrew Bynum charged into Marion early in the second half that night, and Marion did not return to that game due to a sore tailbone. Just when he thought he shook the pain it recurred Sunday, and he sat out practice. He was going to be examined this morning and hoped to practice and play Tuesday. He has missed only 10 games in the past six seasons. "My right side locked up on me," Marion said. "It's real sore. I'm going to treat it and hope that I'm good to go."

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2305 on: October 30, 2006, 11:23:19 AM »
There's a rumor that the Lakers are going to sign Jalen Rose.....they are going to release d.green & A.Mckie.

Jalen Rose got waive on sunday.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2306 on: October 30, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »
man Bynum is injuring niggas like its nothin...that's what I'm talkin about!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

ecrazy

« Reply #2307 on: October 30, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »
Wow, suprised you guys are not talking about Jerry Buss getting his star on the walk of fame, Snoop Was there, I didnt see who else was there, but Snoop got out of the Valet parking area Around the same time I did, i bet all the lakers were there, i heard magic was there too. but yeah, what about that? he got his star near hollywood and highland right in front of the subway station, surprisingly there were not many laker fans out there or tourists watching this, they even closed the street for all this, and low turnout. (from what ive seen previous star presentations)

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #2308 on: October 30, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »

Doggystylin

« Reply #2309 on: October 30, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
LMFAO WTF^^

Oh and Jalen Rose on the Lakers would be so sick, we should definitley get him.