Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 287156 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #2550 on: November 08, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »
Jackson wants more from Smush

BY ROSS SILER, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:11/07/2006 10:36:20 PM PST

There was a flip side to the comment Lakers coach Phil Jackson made at Monday's practice that if guard Jordan Farmar was not a rookie, "I would say he's playing better than some of our starters and guys who are playing ahead of him."

The player who wasn't mentioned was guard Smush Parker, who started all 82 games last season for the Lakers. And Jackson was asked before Tuesday's game if he was happy with Parker's play so far.

Jackson said of Parker: "There's been games or minutes that he's played extremely well," but he was disappointed by a stretch at the start of the second quarter Sunday when Parker was asked to lead a unit without Kobe Bryant or Lamar Odom.

"I put Smush out there with Luke (Walton) to try and give that second unit a little direction," Jackson said. "I just didn't feel that either one of them exerted the kind of influence that they can on the floor. We talked a little bit about that yesterday as a basketball club.

"Maybe Jordan has more of an initiative right now than Smush does as far as energizing the team and directing a team and being a natural point guard in that respect. Maybe he's best off just left alone there with that second unit, not bringing a leadership guy in there, an experienced veteran in there, and see how he fares. Just let him sink or swim."
With Parker and Walton joined by Brian Cook, Vladimir Radmanovic and Maurice Evans, the Lakers gave up 11 straight points to Seattle in three minutes Sunday and committed five turnovers.

Heart to heart: Forward Ronny Turiaf developed a friendship with former Minnesota guard Fred Hoiberg, who underwent open heart surgery a month before Turiaf did in the summer of 2005.

The two talked on the phone and had a friendly rivalry, as was the case when one rode a bike for 10 minutes before the other.

They caught up before Tuesday's game, which Hoiberg attended in his new job as a Timberwolves assistant general manager.

"It was just an amazing story between him and me," Turiaf said.

Developing situation: After being waived the day before the season, Devin Green decided he was best served playing in the NBA Development League.

The guard wound up being the first-round draft pick of the D-Fenders, the Lakers' new minor-league affiliate.

"It's a familiar situation," Green said of the D-Fenders, who will play the same triangle offense as the Lakers. "As of the day that I got waived, everybody had their final roster set.

"It wasn't my only option but it was my best option to possibly continue playing in the league. I might be down there for two, three weeks, but if I play well, I can be pulled up just like that."

The Lakers do not control Green's rights, although he apparently will stay close to the team. Green, who will start training camp with the D-Fenders on Saturday, stopped by the locker room Tuesday.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2551 on: November 08, 2006, 12:54:07 PM »
McKie Nears His Return

01:09 AM PST on Wednesday, November 8, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - He does not want his career to end like this, with injuries not allowing him to play much for the Lakers.

So Aaron McKie has continued to work hard and gotten so much better that Coach Phil Jackson said the 6-foot-5 guard is close to being activated.

McKie, who signed a two-year, $5 million deal during the summer of 2005, played just 14 games last season. He missed 50 because of a torn left quadriceps tendon.

McKie has been out since the exhibition season with inflammation in a disk in his back.

"Even if I'm put on the active list, I don't know what my minutes will be," he said Tuesday. "I'm still getting a little sore from working out but I'm getting better."

At 34, McKie knows his career is winding down but feels he still has something left.

"I just want to do as much as I can to put myself in a situation to where I can help this team," he said.

Kwame Back Friday?

Kwame Brown has been practicing with the Lakers and also is close to be activated.

Brown has been out with a bruise in his right rotator cuff. Lakers public relations director John Black said Brown will practice Thursday and if all goes well, Brown will play Friday night against Detroit.

Impressed With Farmar

Jackson, impressed by the play of Jordan Farmar, said the rookie has "moxie" and may play himself into more playing time.

"Maybe Jordan has more of an initiative right now than Smush (Parker) does, as far as energizing the team and directing a team and being a natural point guard in that respect," Jackson said. "Maybe he's best off just left alone with that second unit."

Farmar, averaging 17.4 minutes, was held scoreless for the first time Tuesday, missing all seven of his shots. Parker had 11 points on 4-of-11 shooting.

Jackson Just Joking

Jackson said that when he said he'd give assistant coach Kurt Rambis a C-plus for his job running the Lakers while Jackson recovered from his hip replacement, he was just joking.

Jackson said Rambis deserved an A for the work he did running the Lakers during training camp, the exhibition season and the one regular-season victory he coached against Golden State.

Green Sighting

Devin Green, waived by the Lakers before the season started, visited his former teammates at Staples Center and worked out with the team's support staff.

Green said he was disappointed at being let go by the Lakers but was chosen by their developmental league D-fenders team that will play its games here.

The Lakers don't own Green's rights, and he may be picked up by any team, although not until after the D-fenders hold training camp.

"I didn't think I was going to get waived but I braced myself for it," he said. "But I don't plan on being down long."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2552 on: November 08, 2006, 12:59:42 PM »
Farmar will no longer get a scrutiny-free ride

November 8, 2006
TJ Simers

I'VE NEVER been crazy about talking to college kids or rookies, remembering what it was like to communicate with my own kids when they were that age.

At some point someone is going to say something wrong, and while I'm still sending the 30-year-old to time out on occasion, I'm not sure that would fly with a young Bruin or Laker.

It would be easy, of course, to pick on the college kids or rookies, and get a rise out of them making for easy column fodder, but picking on teenagers just doesn't seem like good sport, especially when there are so many self-important veterans to tweak.

On occasion there's an exception — Dodgers rookie Andre Ethier, coming to mind, popping off and declining the opportunity to reconsider before getting the Page 2 treatment. But for the most part, college kids and rookies are going to get a pass here.

That's why I never talked to Jordan Farmar while he was at UCLA. And while I probably would've waited another year to allow him to get his feet under him in a Lakers jersey, I wanted to know where I went wrong.

I thought Farmar left UCLA too early, too quick to make the jump to the pros and then figured he would have no place in the Lakers' plans any time soon.

So I hoped at the very least he would make me feel better, and tell me that even he was surprised by his immediate impact on the Lakers' fortunes.

"Not at all," the kid said. "My expectations are a lot higher than what I've done so far, so I guess you could say I'm not meeting my expectations."

I told him that, just the other day, UCLA Coach Ben Howland was saying he'd have urged Farmar to turn pro if someone could've guaranteed Farmar he would be one of the first 20 players selected — thereby earning a good chunk of money.

But Farmar went No. 26, and said, "For [Howland], it's all about money.

"I'm going to make money regardless," he added. "I landed in the perfect situation. It was just time. My time at UCLA had come to an end."

OK, so just tell me you were a little nervous about getting off to a good start up here in the big time.

"I'm never nervous," Farmar said. "I'm getting paid to do this. I'm a professional."

I checked his Lakers bio. He's not only a rookie, he's still a teenager at age 19.

"At UCLA you play against the pros a lot during the summer," the kid said. "I held my own out there, so I knew I could play this game."

So far, hard to argue. In the team's first four games, Farmar was making nearly 67% of his shots from the field, and playing in prime-time situations for the Lakers. Instead of beginning the season in the D League, Smush Parker and Sasha Vujacic are facing a significant challenge for playing time. Scratch that, Farmar already has left Vujacic behind.

"It's like having a veteran head on a young body," said Paul Westphal, former NBA player and coach now doing work for Fox Sports Net. "He's going to be around this league for a long time."

But I never thought he'd have this kind of impact so soon.

"It was easy to be fooled," Westphal said. "He was playing at about 70% last year, dragging that bad ankle around. But look at him, he's just 19. That's amazing."

How amazing is this? Five games into his NBA career, a "We want Farmar" chant could be heard in Staples Center. In the first quarter.
And when he got the call off the bench with 6.5 seconds left in the first quarter against Minnesota, there was a noticeable buzz in the arena. It continued when he picked up a loose ball, turned and fired a half-court shot at the buzzer, the ball bounding off the front of the rim and missing by just that much from bringing everyone to their feet. And all in 6.5 seconds.

"As long as I'm an asset, I can be on the court," said Farmar, who has obviously gained Phil Jackson's confidence.

Before the game, Jackson was talking about Farmar's "recognition of the game" and his sense of anticipation, describing Farmar like a hockey coach might have described Wayne Gretzky's knack for knowing where the puck was going to be before anyone else.

I guess that explains why he was somewhat of a pest on the court, buzzing around the Timberwolves and looking as if this is just what the old pro does for a living.

I know this, I'm going to feel a lot better from now on when I get the chance to tease — or rip him.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2553 on: November 08, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »
2.  J . O  will continue to grow as a player, the day you stop growing is the day when people start hinting that you should retire.

That's a load of bullshit...Name me ONE legendary big who was at his best towards the end of his career. Even if you can find one, you KNOW that's not how it usually is...PeACe

numbers may go down but importance on the court increases, wisdom, knowledge of the game, players, coaches' strategies. Hakeem didn't put up MONSTER numbers but he was still growing after his two championships, robinson's numbers dwindled toward the end of his career but he was still able to lead his team to victory (with theh help of duncan) and was still an asset as he was mentoring duncan. kareem wasn't putting up spectacular numbers toward the end of his career either but he went from throwing up big numbers to be able to take over games to being able to mentally take over games , watch a couple of classic games from the 87 season  on nba tv when they show them , he only scores 12 points but his presence in the game is the difference maker and the way he outsmarts the oppenents is phenominal.

same with JO he might not ever be like shaq and average 28 points per game but i can see him growing more mentally from where he's at now, he's already in a leadership role and that's all he needs to continue growing

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2554 on: November 08, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »
Props To Bynum for all the Career Highs he had Last night  :cheers:....He did all that shit in 29 minutes  :o ...He could of had a 30/20 game if he could play 40 minutes...And i also heard he was the youngest player in Laker history with a 20/10 game 8)

And i was a little disappointed with the team again...To Many turnover's...when you turn the ball over you're going to keep the other team in the game...Lakers had 19 point lead with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then we got sloppy again turning the ball over and the T-Wolves came back & our starters had to play in the last couple of minutes of the game.....I wish we could of just put them away early so our starters could rest in the 4th quarter and be fresh for tonight's game.....I still think we're going to win tonight but it's going to be tough...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:51:57 PM by ING »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2555 on: November 08, 2006, 02:26:50 PM »
Props To Bynum for all the Career Highs he had Last night  :cheers:....He did all that shit in 29 minutes  :o ...He could of had a 30/20 game if he could play 40 minutes...And i also heard he was the youngest player in Laker history with a 20/10 game 8)

And i was a little disappointed with the team again...To Many turnover's...when you turn the ball over you're going to keep the other team in the game...Lakers had 19 point lead with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then we got sloppy again turning the ball over and the T-Wolves came back & our starters had to play in the last couple of minutes of the game.....I wish we could of just put them away early so our starters could rest in the 4th quarter and be fresh for tonight's game.....I still think we're going to win tonight but it's going to be tough...

if this was march or april you'd want that, but i think that was good that we had the lead cut and the starters had to come back in, it helps the secondary know what they have to work on and helps the starters develop more chemistry in case kwame brown and mihm arn't gonig to work out as starters

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2556 on: November 08, 2006, 03:37:43 PM »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2557 on: November 08, 2006, 04:33:32 PM »
Second-year kid on the block

November 07, 2006

Somewhere, Jim Buss had to be dancing and partying until his ever-present baseball cap fell right off. Andrew Bynum, the kid Buss saw work out and decided the Lakers just had to have, showcased all his potential with key play after key play against Minnesota.

As I noted in the game story for Wednesday's paper, this was the first time the Lakers faced a team playing a basic basketball format -- instead of the high-speed racing of the Suns, Warriors and Sonics with rampant pick-and-rolls directed at Bynum -- and we saw what Bynum could do when the other team is playing his game. And this is after he already has had some star turns in this second year of NBA ball against those teams.

Because Minnesota's centers (Mark Blount and Eddie Griffin) aren't exactly titans, Bynum was extra free to sluff off his man and prowl the lane to block and change shots. He did this really well and showed why the Lakers believe he can be the sort of defensive menace that Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm can't be.

Said Phil Jackson: "We hope that he can become a guy who can protect the lane for us. It's something we haven't had for a couple of years no, but he's the one we had envisioned would be that kind of guy."

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #2558 on: November 08, 2006, 04:45:17 PM »
it looks like he's goin to be ready sooner than I thought.

That's why you should always listen to me when it comes to the Lakers. 8)
lol

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2559 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
Kareem, the teacher

By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
6:56 AM PST, November 8, 2006

This really is an ideal situation for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

The spotlight, whose glare he abhorred, shines elsewhere these days. While a new generation of Lakers perform under the bright lights, Abdul-Jabbar can sit off to the side in a Staples Center seat.

while nothing can compare to winning six NBA titles and the distinction of being the league's all-time leading scorer, Abdul-Jabbar is getting more-than-adequate satisfaction these days from watching his prize pupil excel.

Nineteen-year-old center Andrew Bynum, who has been under Abdul-Jabbar's expansive wing since joining the team a year ago as a first-round draft choice, is off to an impressive start. Bynum's best performance so far came Tuesday night at Staples Center where he had career highs in points (20) and rebounds (14), along with several crucial blocks.

"I always felt he would improve if he got the minutes," said Abdul-Jabbar after the game. "Practice is no place to learn."

"What I've tried to teach him is to be in the right place at the right time. His biggest problem was standing around watching what was going on instead of moving his feet.

"It's not just that I coach him. I feel as close to him as if he was my nephew. He was just 17 when he got here, but being a parent myself helped me deal with him. And he's a great kid."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2560 on: November 08, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »
Blazers won't have Roy tonight against Lakers

Wednesday, November 8, 2006
By BRIAN HENDRICKSON Columbian staff writer

TUALATIN, Ore. -- Brandon Roy will miss tonight's game against the Los Angeles Lakers. But the injury that sidelined the Portland Trail Blazers rookie during Monday's loss to the Los Angeles Clippers doesn't appear to be serious.

An MRI on Monday revealed that Roy has an impingement in his left talus (ankle bone), according to a release on the Blazers' Web site late Tuesday afternoon. An impingement occurs when inflammation, bone spurs or fluid buildup causes a tendon to rub against a bone, and can be the result of a previous injury -- such as an ankle sprain -- according to emedicine.com.

Roy was given a cortisone injection and will be fitted with an orthotic insert for his shoe. He is expected to sit out tonight, but is listed as probable for Friday's game against New Orleans.

The news was a sharp contrast to the mood at Tuesday's practice, when Blazers coach Nate McMillan expressed disappointment and frustration over the possibility of losing Roy for an extended period. Roy, considered an early leading candidate for rookie of the year, averaged 14.5 points and 4.3 assists in his first four games.

"The guy was doing some good things for us," McMillan said before learning the results of Roy's MRI. "I think everybody was getting excited about his play. We were starting to get a feel for what he could do and how we wanted to use him. He's a key guy. Anytime you lose a key guy in your rotation, it hurts you. He's a big part of what we were doing and how we were building this team. So it's a big blow for us."

Roy complained of heel pain during Portland's 102-89 loss to the Clippers on Monday. He scored three points in 14 minutes before sitting out the second half.

The initial fears were that Roy broke a bone or injured his Achilles' tendon. But the Blazers' announcement indicated the injury was much less severe.

It was a fortunate break for a team that has caught few this fall in terms of injuries. Portland will only have 10 healthy players available tonight because LaMarcus Aldridge (right shoulder), Raef LaFrentz (left soleus), Darius Miles (right knee) and Joel Przybilla (bruised lower abdomen) are also out with injuries.

Roy's absence will force more lineup shuffling. Martell Webster -- who has played extensively at small forward -- will likely start at Roy's shooting guard spot, further thinning a Blazers frontcourt that already has lost four members to injuries.

That lack of size already hurt Portland on Monday night, when the Clippers used their height advantage to hold a 45-38 rebounding edge and score 48 points in the paint.

"How do you prevent that?" McMillan said. "I think you focus on it and make an effort to get it done because of the lack of size and the fact that we have to get in there and help each other on the boards. Other than that, there's no other way."

The thin frontcourt likely won't improve quickly. LaFrentz isn't expected to return for a couple more weeks, and though Aldridge said he probably could play immediately if the Blazers needed him, both he and McMillan said they don't want to rush his return. Przybilla isn't expected to be available until early next week.

That made word of Roy's quick return a welcome break for a team already in search of one.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2561 on: November 08, 2006, 04:59:48 PM »
Heart ailments bind Hoiberg, Turiaf
The two finally meet face to face

BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

LOS ANGELES — Ronny Turiaf and Fred Hoiberg met for the first time Tuesday night. They shook hands on the court at Staples Center a couple hours before Turiaf's Los Angeles Lakers faced Hoiberg's Timberwolves.

Their meeting probably wouldn't have happened if not for an unfortunate coincidence — both had dangerous heart abnormalities.

They've developed a friendship since each underwent open-heart surgery more than a year ago to correct the same problem, an enlarged aortic root.

Turiaf returned to the court in February — a stunning recovery after major surgery. Hoiberg never played another NBA game — he needed a pacemaker implanted, Turiaf did not — and is now an assistant general manager for the Wolves.

"I don't feel lucky to be back on the court," Turiaf said. "I feel lucky to be alive."

After Turiaf found out in the summer of 2005 that he needed heart surgery, his agent contacted Hoiberg to ask him if he would talk to Turiaf. Hoiberg was happy to do it.

"He's the one who showed me the way after my surgery," Turiaf said. "He was there for me. He was trying to show me what to expect. I was definitely blessed, and I mean that, to be able to talk to him and know what to expect."

Hoiberg told Turiaf about the pain he would feel after the surgery, both physical and mental. He told Turiaf that he would fight depression and that his recovery would come one day at a time. First Turiaf would have to start walking, then slowly increase his activity to jogging and shooting. Hoiberg told him that, above all else, it was important to keep a positive attitude.

Fortunately for Turiaf, he played in his first NBA game about six months after his surgery. Now he's better than ever. He entered Tuesday's game averaging 10.8 points and 4.5 rebounds.

"At first it was tough on him because he didn't know if he'd ever play again," Hoiberg said. "He told me when he first found out about it he didn't know if he'd ever live a normal life. To be able to get the normalcy back in your life and be able to do the things you normally do, that's a big help for someone who's been through that procedure."

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2562 on: November 08, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Lakers look like they’re going to be better than expected

By Eric Williams
11.8.2006 - Updated on 11.8.2006

I know the Los Angeles Lakers just lost their first game of the season to the Seattle Supersonics 117-101 after getting off to a 3-0 start, but I am here to warn every western conference opponent that the Lakers could actually be a force to be reckoned with come playoff time this season.

Yes, it’s still quite early, and I don’t want to get carried away after just a handful of games, but if the young Lakers, who were a one-man show for the majority of the year last season, can, not only qualify for last year’s playoffs, but give the talented Phoenix Suns quite a series before bowing out in the first round, how good can they be with a few actual real players this year?

The answer? Very good – I think.

Of course the Lakers have arguably the best player on the planet in Kobe Bryant and one who is totally unstoppable at times, particularly late in games with the contest still in the balance, but I believe the additions of veterans of Vladimir Radmanovic and Maurice Evans, not to mention the continued growth of forwards, Luke Walton and Ronny Turiaf and now, young center, Andrew Bynum, makes the Lakers legitimate contenders for a berth in the western conference finals.

However, I also believe that the Lakers’ chances this season will also depend heavily upon the performance of one player in particular – Lamar Odom.

If Odom can truly play the role of Scottie Pippen to Bryant’s Michael Jordan in head coach, Phil Jackson’s vaunted triangle offense, then the Lakers could give opponents fits this season.

“We have a lot of guys who can do a lot of things,” assistant coach, Kurt Rambis said last week. “If we can get them to understand their potential and their ability to work together, I think we’re going to have a really good ball club.”

Even the young Turiaf, who had open-heart surgery last season, knows that the Lakers could be something special in the near future.

“I’m thankful for the opportunity I have,” Turiaf, said. “I’m just trying to have some fun, and I have really great teammates. We’re a young team, and it’s fun when young guys get an opportunity to showcase their skills.”

Walton, the son of the almost legendary Bill Walton seems to realize that something special could be happening in Los Angeles and even downplayed his performance in posting a career-high 20 points in one game last week.

“Having Kobe back, watching Ronny (Turiaf) come up big in the end, that was awesome. That was a lot more fun for me than having a career high in points, ”Walton said.

Even Bryant, who was known to be a selfish player early in his career is learning to appreciate his young teammates and seems to be taking the role of team leader very seriously these days.

“The guys worked extremely hard in the offseason,” Bryant said. “To step up when we needed them at the beginning of the season is great.”

Once again, I realize that it’s extremely early in the season and that the Lakers have a long way to go, but something tells me that this team is going to be a legitimate threat come playoff time. One thing’s for sure, it’s going to be fun watching this team grow up.

I also want to add that, in retrospect, the Lakers and their owner, Dr. Jerry Buss may have made the correct call in keeping Bryant and trading Shaquille O’Neal a couple of seasons ago.

Sure Shaq got his ring without Bryant (but with Dwayne Wade) last season, but in the long run, it looks like the Lakers could actually be a better team than the Heat in another season or two. Once again though, we shall see.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2563 on: November 08, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »
In full bloom
An emerging Bynum, 19, central to Lakers' success

Posted: Wednesday November 8, 2006 11:24AM; Updated: Wednesday November 8, 2006 12:52PM

The defining moment of Andrew Bynum's rookie season wasn't a 30-point outburst or an emphatic blocked shot that announced the arrival of the youngest player ever drafted in NBA history. No, the defining moment for Bynum was a well-placed elbow to a player who has a little bit of history in the Los Angeles area: Shaquille O'Neal.

Bynum's tussle with O'Neal -- which immediately followed a spinning dunk on the Diesel in a game last January -- was a clear signal to the rest of the league that in Bynum, well, the Lakers had found their man. They just had to develop him.

It hasn't taken long. Thrust into the starting lineup for an injured Kwame Brown (shoulder) and Chris Mihm (ankle), Bynum, who was the youngest opening-night starter this season, has already exceeded expectations. In limited playing time (21.2 minutes a game), the 19-year-old has given the Lakers the type of post presence that has become an afterthought in Hollywood since O'Neal left town. Not bad for a guy who had never really watched game tape before last season.

Certainly no one is comparing Bynum to O'Neal (at least not yet), but a productive Bynum -- which is something L.A. did not count on before the season -- will go a long way toward determining the Lakers' postseason aspirations. Let's face it: Going into the season, the only team in Los Angeles that was considered a contender was the one that dresses just down the hallway from the Lakers at the Staples Center. Despite the additions of Vladimir Radmanovic and, to a lesser extent, Maurice Evans, the Lakers were considered borderline playoff candidates in a conference that has gotten stronger at the bottom.

An emerging Bynum, however, changes that equation. No matter how many highlight-reel dunks lead off SportsCenter, the NBA has been and always will be a man's game. Well, a big man's game, to be more precise. It's no coincidence that seven of the last eight NBA championships have been won by teams anchored by O'Neal and Tim Duncan. The league can implement all the rule changes it wants to open up the game and make it a more exciting product. That's all well and good -- for the regular season. Playoff basketball is a different animal altogether, with physical, grind-it-out teams generally having a decided advantage.

The Lakers already have a spectacular nucleus in place. Kobe Bryant is still the best offensive player in the game. Lamar Odom, who has been playing like a man with a purpose this season following the tragic death of his infant son, is arguably the most versatile player this side of Cleveland. Radmanovic, Luke Walton, Brown and Smush Parker are serviceable role players. The pieces are in place. You don't think Phil Jackson sees this? Word out of Los Angeles is that Jackson is interested in a contract extension.

They just need that anchor, the safety valve that can open up the floor on one end and stuff up the lane at the other. Is it too early to place such lofty expectations on a player like Bynum, who is barely removed from having to attend gym class? Absolutely. Sometimes we are so blinded by Bynum's size that we forget how young he really is. Before a game last season Bynum couldn't remember the last name of a friend for whom he wanted to leave tickets. So on the ticket envelope he wrote his friend's first name and a description: short and black. Bryant might still be laughing.

But in the NBA the learning curve is a flexible one that varies from player to player. Should Bynum bend it in his direction, the Lakers will once again be a team to reckon with.

rik

« Reply #2564 on: November 08, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
Oh shit....Anybody watching LTV right now? Bynum is goin to stay in the starting line up when Kwame comes back.