Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 287396 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #2670 on: November 14, 2006, 10:25:06 PM »
Who Stole Smush's Mojo?

12:25 AM PST on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

EL SEGUNDO - Smush Parker's game has been MIA, and many have begun to wonder why so early in the season.

He has claimed not to be feeling the heat from rookie point guard Jordan Farmar, who has played well and become a fan favorite.

Parker says he knows what he needs to do to improve his play.

"I've just got to get my mojo back," he said Monday.

So, he was asked, what happened to your mojo?

"I don't know," Parker said, smiling. "Somebody stole it. Maybe Lamar Odom stole it."

OK, then how does he get his mojo back?

"Just practicing and getting back in game rhythm," Parker said. "That's pretty much it. Put in the extra hours in practice."

Parker is in the last year of his contract. One would think that he'd play all out, all the time.

One would think that he would treat this season like the summer he made the team as a free agent in 2005.

Parker played as if he didn't have a job because he didn't have one after spending one year in Cleveland (2002-03) and part of another with Detroit and Phoenix (16 games in 2004-05). He spent part of the latter season in the developmental league; he spent some of the 2003-04 season in Europe.

But this past summer, after he averaged career highs in points (11.5), rebounds (3.3), assists (3.7), steals (1.71) and minutes (33.8), Parker didn't have to prove his worth in the summer league.

He said he didn't even play much pick-up ball, opting for individual workouts.

However, Parker's numbers are all down in the first eight games: He's averaging 8.4 points, 2.5 assists and 1.13 steals in 29.6 minutes. Worse, Parker is making just 35.3 percent of his shots, including 32.3 percent of his three-pointers, and an awful 50 percent of his free throws.

Indeed, Parker needs to find his mojo, his game, his something.

The question is how long will it take for Parker to get his act together?

"Not long," he said.

Much-Needed Rehab Time

The Lakers had the first of four days off before they play again Friday night against Toronto at Staples Center -- and that's a good thing.

It's rehab time for Kobe Bryant's surgically repaired right knee, and for Kwame Brown, who played his first game Sunday after missing seven with a bruised right rotator cuff.

"(I'll) get on the practice floor and start working on catching and shooting and one-dribble pull-ups and post-up rhythm," Bryant said. "I'll be just trying to get that umph! back...

"I'm close. I feel like I can turn the jets on if I need to. Now it's just a matter of getting in synch with the rest of the guys so they know where to look for me in certain situations."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:34:25 PM by Now_I_Know »

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #2671 on: November 14, 2006, 11:14:51 PM »
Kobe Bryant quote one of alot

"I think that creativity comes from within.
I think everybody is born with creativity.
But I believe its the trust in yourself
and the trust in your emotions
to talk to yourself so to speak
to become your own psychologist
to let your emotions out on a piece of paper.
To not be afraid of anything.
Not be afraid of what people think.
Not be afraid of what people may say
and just be yourself,
and I think thats something thats eh.. rare nowadays."

- Kobe Bryant

the man knows what he is talking about

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2672 on: November 15, 2006, 01:34:15 AM »
Lakers' Mihm out 6-8 months after ankle surgery

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles center Chris Mihm underwent surgery on his right ankle Tuesday, and the Lakers said he is expected to make a complete recovery in six to eight months.

The surgery, to repair a ligament and tendon in Mihm's ankle and realign his heel bone, was performed by Dr. Mark Meyerson in Baltimore, Md. The 27-year-old Mihm is scheduled for a follow-up examination Dec. 7 by Meyerson in Los Angeles.

Mihm's right foot will be completely immobilized for at least four weeks. He will then begin therapy and rehabilitation while wearing a boot for another five to six weeks.

The 7-foot, 265-pound Mihm injured his ankle in the final minute of a game against Seattle on March 12 and played just once the rest of last season. He had ankle surgery July 26 and missed training camp and all eight preseason games.

Mihm averaged a career-high 10.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.24 blocked shots in 59 games last season -- 56 of them starts.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2673 on: November 15, 2006, 01:40:21 AM »
Radman's Contribution To Come In The Future?

By Ross Siler
Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO--Whatever sales pitch the Lakers made to Vladimir Radmanovic at the start of the July free-agent negotiating period almost assuredly didn’t include anything about playing 5 minutes a game.

Yet that was how much action Radmanovic saw Sunday in the Lakers’ victory over Memphis. He didn’t get off the bench in the second half against one of the Western Conference’s weakest teams.

There is another consideration: Other than Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, the Lakers have invested more money in Radmanovic’s future than any player on the roster.

``He’s limited right now,’’ Lakers coach Phil Jackson said after practice Tuesday. ``There’s two things working against him: His injury to his hand and the fact that he has not found a comfort zone on the floor.

``I’ve been trying to force-feed him in games, and it’s hurting us and it’s hurting him both.’’

Playing with a torn ligament in his shooting hand, Radmanovic is averaging 6.3 points and 16.8 minutes per game. He signed a five-year, $30.2 million contract with the Lakers in the hopes of finding a bigger role than was available to him with the Clippers.

That looks less likely with every game Luke Walton starts at forward. Jackson brought Radmanovic off the bench to start the second quarter Sunday as part of a unit that included Jordan Farmar, Maurice Evans, Kwame Brown and Odom.

Radmanovic’s first shot was a 3-pointer that missed the rim entirely and smacked off the backboard. He got his only points of the game by tipping in a Farmar miss.

Jackson said it was hard to play Radmanovic in a lineup with other players learning the triangle offense and added that he was struggling with his patience and rhythm.

``He’s real talented and we’re very happy to have him,’’ Jackson said. ``But we want him to have some success and it takes a game where he has some success to really start to feel his role.’’

Jackson estimated it could take 20 games for Radmanovic to get comfortable on the court. He also wants to ``break him’’ of his free-shooting ways from his years in Seattle.

New role: At Jackson’s insistence, Bryant went through only a limited practice Tuesday. He continued to work to strengthen his surgically repaired right knee.

Jackson moved Bryant back to the backcourt and Odom to the wing for Sunday’s game. And Bryant said he expects to stay in that guard spot as the Lakers hope to be better organized on offense.

``I think it helps us out as a unit more because I’ve been playing in this offense for a long time,’’ Bryant said, ``and I understand how to set it up, so guys will have a better feel for where their spots will be working from within the system.’’

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2674 on: November 15, 2006, 01:48:17 AM »
Questions To Answer; 10 Reasons The Lakers Wear Shades

Lakernoise by Roland Lazenby

My last post generated a few questions, so I’ll attempt to answer them, first with a general view of the team, then specifically addressing two questions at the end. Before I get started, let me thank those of you who leave comments on Lakernoise.
Two questions in particular came from my appearance Nov. 13 on AM 570, where the hosts hit me with some outstanding questions.

First, what a great time to be a Laker fan. Championships are fun, but Phil Jackson has always pointed out that it’s the journey that makes it all worthwhile.
If that’s the case, this might be the time you sit back and enjoy the scenery, even if it involves taking in an ugly loss like the one to Detroit in Staples Center.
There are many major things going on here, but I’ll highlight just 10 reasons things are good for the Lakers.

1) The emergence of Lamar Odom as a fantastic player; he’s got so much talent, and while his comfort level with the triangle has grown slowly, Tex Winter thinks the coaches need to adjust the offense for LO so that more great things happen; get him on the wing at the 3, Tex says; let him work behind the defense at the mid wing, and also in the pinch post; then move him down to the post where he can do snaky things to drive defenses crazy;
2) The maturing of Kobe Bryant, from Boy Wonder to Veteran Leader (which is really just about the time in life that Michael Jordan began to emerge from his cacoon as well);
3) Luke Walton establishing his game on a pro level as a guy capable of feeding the team and still getting 20 on any given night (admit it—he has stunned many of you);
4) Andrew Bynum finding his way with unexpected playing time and the guidance of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Bynum’s emergence is a great tribute to the Cap, who, let’s face it, has been disrespected in his retirement years; now everyone understands just what a “special” coach is);
5) Phil Jackson regaining his health and vigor, which allows him to have a true enthusiasm for the game (this just might be item no. 1). I’ve had my differences with some of the games that Jackson has played in the past, but his coaching approach has always been liberating, not just for his players and teams, but for the game itself. Jackson’s biggest contribution just may be that he changes the way other coaches think about the game;
6) Tex Winter, at 84, remains ready and able to focus his brilliance and passion on the Lakers and the game itself, always playing devil’s advocate for Jackson, always willing to say exactly what he thinks, consequences be damned (I suspect this is the real reason the Hall of Fame gatekeepers won’t honor him with the admission he richly deserves; he has offended certain powerbrokers with his honesty). Jerry West could engineer Tex’s admission to the hall in a matter of months, but he hasn’t done so. Tex, meanwhile, will contribute more to the Lakers this year because his wife of many years has regained her health;
7) Jordan Farmar in his first weeks of NBA experience has goosed his many fans; they’re ecstatic with what he has shown to date;
8) Kwame Brown and Smush Parker remain notable reclamation projects, who will eventually find solid ways to contribute in a shifting team chemistry;
9) Mo Evans with his bountiful talent dancing at the edge of the picture, slipping into sight just long enough to blow people’s minds with something strong around the basket. He’s just learning the triangle, but as he does, look out. He’s got something for the NBA, and won’t people think Mitch K. is smart when Evans gets to show it;
10) The Running Game, long the heart of Laker lore, was put on the shelf while Jackson and Shaq walked their way to three championships. But now the Running Game is back baby, a tip of the hat to Mitch and Ronnie Lester and Jerry Buss; they found players that both fit the triangle and the running game; and as Tex always points out, the triangle is always ready to be morphed into what works best for the given talent on any team; that’s clearly the case with these Lakers; they just have to work out the kinks. Tex wants them to find ways to get out faster, to go, go, go, because that’s when they truly strike some terror in the hearts of their opponents.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:22:04 AM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2675 on: November 15, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
Conditioning is top priority for Lakers
Jackson wants to run more so he is using a break in the schedule to get his players in better shape.

By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register
EL SEGUNDO – Phil Jackson looked down at the piece of paper and went over a laundry list of things for his team to work on during this extended break.

There was a definite theme: Weights. Running. Drills.

"Our conditioning, I thought, was limited in that period ... of eight games in 12 days," Jackson said. "It was a pretty heavy schedule."

With a rare four days off before their next game, the Lakers will turn this week into a mini training camp to get their legs back as they continue to form an identity.

Jackson would like to see his squad run more, and he might have the horses to do so as Kwame Brown and Vladimir Radmanovic get over shoulder and hand injuries, respectively. The workload has been shouldered largely by center Andrew Bynum, who logged 29 minutes against Memphis on Sunday.

How much the quicker pace will come at the expense of defense - the Lakers are 19th in the NBA in points allowed (100) - doesn't concern Jackson.

"We're not going to walk the ball up and down the court and change the level and tempo of the game," Jackson said. "We want these players at an elevated tempo. We think they can."

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2676 on: November 16, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
Interesting interview with Phil Jackson about Kobe's condition...

Kobe Bryant's basketball mortality didn't just pop up in the last week or two as a smoldering topic.

Coach Phil Jackson talked about it with him over the summer.

"One of the things as you grow up in this game, the wear and tear on the body is significant," Jackson said before Sunday's 91-81 win over Memphis. "He's probably got 20,000 minutes now, or more, probably. Lot of playoff games. There's limitations of what you can do after you get some miles. He's going to return to a position where he's going to dazzle and be remarkable in some things out there, but he's never going to be 100% with that knee again.

"We talked about it this summer about how to sustain another eight to 10 years of play. He's a terrific athlete. He should be able to play a long time. Some of it is practice time, some of it's about on-the-court excess work or unnecessary work and keeping the workload down."

Bryant, 28 and in his 11th season, had actually topped 30,000 minutes before this season — 25,239 in regular-season games and 4,870 in the playoffs.

Jackson, who witnessed firsthand the career evolution of another prolific scorer, outlined the three phases of Michael Jordan's NBA years.

"There was an early phase in which he like was the sole person in our offense and generated a lot of offense," said Jackson, who coached Jordan for eight seasons during the 1990s with the Chicago Bulls, winning six NBA titles. "And then there was a phase in which we won three championships in four years. And then he retired, and when he came back he was a different player. He knew how to save a step and how to take a different [approach]. Instead of taking it to the hoop all the time, how to pull up and take the 14-footer. At that time he was 34, 35, and he was really capable of judging what the game demanded."

In which phase is Bryant?

"He's moved into the second phase of his career where he knows what he can do at what times on the court," Jackson said. "Right now, he knows he can't do it for a sustained period of time. He's not in the condition yet. [But] he's still taking that ball to the front of the rim and getting smacked and getting in tough situations."
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

rik

« Reply #2677 on: November 16, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »
I want a fuckin' Laker game already.  >:(

WC Iz Active

« Reply #2678 on: November 16, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »

I know how u feel, last night was the first Pacer game since Saturday, I was so excited to watch and then we got blown out in Boston, I nearly threw up watching the game.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2679 on: November 16, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »

I know how u feel, last night was the first Pacer game since Saturday, I was so excited to watch and then we got blown out in Boston, I nearly threw up watching the game.

I would too if I were you...Before last night, I don't think there was such thing as a Boston Celtic blow-out in years...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2680 on: November 16, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
Brown's injured wing sparks imagination
With his right shoulder on the mend, he jokes about shooting with his left hand.

Thursday, November 16, 2006
By CURTIS ZUPKE
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO – Kwame Brown appeared to be doing some typical end-of-practice goofing around with Brian Cook when he took some three-point attempts left-handed.

But with injuries that will probably hinder him for the rest of the season, Brown half-joked when asked how he will adapt.

"Try using my left hand," he said.

Brown received some good news this week when a doctor told him he will not need surgery on his right shoulder. The area has bursitis, an inflammation in the sac between the tendon and bone, which has given him spasms.

"He said it's not going to get any worse," Brown said. "It's going to have some good days and some bad days."

Brown is also recovering from a bruised rotator cuff. The injuries kept him out of the first six games. He returned Nov.12 and had six points, two rebounds and three fouls in 17 minutes off the bench.

Coach Phil Jackson said Brown probably will be a "20-minute guy" when the Lakers resume play Friday vs. Toronto at Staples Center. Brown said he is limited and won't be the player who averaged 13.6 points and 9.2 rebounds in the last 13 regular-season games of 2005-06.

"I think I'm just going to focus on playing defense," Brown said. "I think offense is where I'm going to struggle."

NO.81 REPLAY

Kobe Bryant said he has not watched a tape of his 81-point game against Toronto last season.

The Lakers will play the Raptors on Friday for the first time since the historic game, second only to Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point performance.

"I've thought about it, just because I've been asked about it so many times," Bryant said. "It's allowed me to kind of reflect about it, (but) I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the game."

Jackson said it will take time to figure out a rotation. Guard Aaron McKie, out since October with disc inflammation in his back, is getting better and might threaten Sasha Vujacic's spot. ...

WC Iz Active

« Reply #2681 on: November 16, 2006, 05:39:57 PM »

I would too if I were you...Before last night, I don't think there was such thing as a Boston Celtic blow-out in years...

yup :-\  JO's defense was amazing but fuck he just aint scoring like he needs to be.  Tinsley isnt getting it done, we are playing no D, im very embarassed w/ this 4-4 start :-\

rik

« Reply #2682 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:23 PM »
^^ Yeah man...that was pretty bad.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2683 on: November 16, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »
Bryant responds to fan's suit

By Steve Springer, Times Staff Writer
November 16, 2006

Kobe Bryant says he doesn't recall the circumstances that form the basis for a lawsuit filed by a spectator claiming the Lakers guard struck him during a game last season.

According to the lawsuit, filed this week by Bill Geeslin in a Tennessee court, Bryant, apparently chasing a loose ball during a game against the Grizzlies in Memphis, "left the basketball court and entered the spectators' section where Bill Geeslin was sitting … and violently struck Mr. Geelsin with [his] elbow."

Said Bryant on Wednesday at the team's El Segundo training center, "I really don't know too much about it…. Players are always going to try to save a loose ball and win the game. That's something a player has to do. I don't actually remember the play. That's what makes it so interesting."

Geeslin is asking for more than $75,000 in damages.

-----------

Bryant doesn't like knee braces.

"I don't like anything on my legs like that," he said, lifting one leg to shake off an imaginary brace as he spoke.

But like it or not, he may not be able to shake off the suggestion that it's time to wear one.

Bryant has been working furiously to regain full strength in his right knee after undergoing arthroscopic surgery in July. But he still doesn't have his trademark extra kick on the court, what he refers to as his "sixth gear."

And, Bryant concedes, there is sometimes stiffness and soreness in the second half of games.

He'll test himself with a vigorous workout today at practice, he said. And if the stiffness and soreness return?

"Then," he said, "I may have to wear the brace."

----------

As the Lakers walked off the practice court Wednesday, Brian Cook looked happy, Sasha Vujacic perplexed and Andrew Bynum frustrated.

Tough day of practice? Nope, tough day after practice for all but Cook.

The daily half-court shooting competition, spiced by a little wagering, had been won by Cook.

Bynum said he had lost $100, but it doesn't seem as if anybody pays up.

"We're not gamblers," Vujacic said. "I'll just win it back tomorrow. It's a friendly game. But it can be so frustrating."

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2684 on: November 16, 2006, 08:03:58 PM »
Best Kobe Mix ive ever seen

size: 152 MBytes

http://rapidshare.de/files/35084392/...rn_of_Kobe.wmv

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24