Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 286878 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #3330 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »
Webber takes part in talks with Lakers

By Steve Springer and Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writers
January 14, 2007

Free-agent forward Chris Webber has become personally involved in talks with the Lakers about joining the club, according to his agent, Aaron Goodwin.

Webber spoke Saturday with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and was hoping to talk Saturday night to Coach Phil Jackson. Goodwin said he had talked Friday with Kupchak.

Playing time, not money, appears to be the issue for Webber with the Lakers, because two of the other four teams courting the 33-year-old power forward can offer him more money.

"If Phil can convince [Kupchak] to make a decision," Goodwin said, "maybe something can be done."

Goodwin couldn't resist taking a playful jab at Jackson, who had complained Friday night that Goodwin hadn't returned calls to the Lakers, playfully questioning why Goodwin didn't have more than one cellphone.

"Chris will be calling Phil on his cellphone," Goodwin said. "That is, if he has a cellphone. I guess he didn't know we had talked to Mitch several times [Friday]."

Webber was averaging more than 30 minutes a game with the Philadelphia 76ers before they waived him Thursday. When Lamar Odom (sprained knee) and Kwame Brown (sprained ankle) return to the lineup, probably by the end of the month, and with the effective play of Luke Walton, Jackson will already have his hands full trying to find minutes in the front court for Brian Cook, Vladimir Radmanovic and Ronny Turiaf, all of whom have had their moments of effectiveness.

Asked if Webber would be a starter if he signed with the Lakers, Jackson dodged the question Friday night.

"I think, if a player can contribute," Jackson said, "that's all he wants to know."

Webber, a five-time All-Star now in his 16th season, also has expressed interest in joining Detroit, Miami, Orlando and Dallas. The Heat has its full mid-level exception, worth about $5 million. The Magic has about half its mid-level exception. The Lakers, Pistons and Mavericks have all used their mid-level exceptions.

The Lakers could offer Webber a two-year contract worth about $2 million.

Monday is the first day Webber can formally sign with a team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the Lakers' 109-106 victory Friday night over the Magic, Jackson gave the Lakers Saturday off. Practice will resume today in preparation for Monday's game at Staples Center against the Heat.

Shaquille O'Neal, who had knee surgery in November, is practicing, but he said Saturday there is "zero" chance he will play against the Lakers.

The Heat is wrapping up a six-game trip against the Lakers and O'Neal could return Thursday when Miami faces Indiana.

I dunno about this one... :-\

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3331 on: January 14, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »
^I doubt if it's gonna go through. I was just reading that Chris Webber stopped talks with the Lakers because he's looking for a permanent starting spot.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #3332 on: January 15, 2007, 12:17:07 AM »
19 Hour till Lakers Game 8)

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #3333 on: January 15, 2007, 02:33:54 AM »

^^^^^^

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3334 on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
Phil Jackson vs. Webbers' Agent

Monday, January 15, 2007

Miami plays the Lakers in L.A. tonight. Shaquille O'Neal is not expected back in the lineup for the Heat.

Even if Chris Webber never ends up with the Lakers, the back-and-forth between agent Aaron Goodwin, coach Phil Jackson and General Manager Mitch Kupchak has become a compelling subplot to the saga, the Los Angeles Daily News reported.

Goodwin took exception to Jackson's comments that he wasn't returning calls, especially Jackson's digs that Good win has "only one ear that can work" and a single cell phone when "in this day and age, most all these agents have three of them."

Goodwin fired back with an e-mail Saturday referring to Jackson as "Sir Phil," saying he and Kupchak had talked at length Thursday afternoon and he tried to get in touch again Saturday morning.

"Nothing will be decided until after Chris has spoken with coach Jackson," Goodwin wrote, "and I have already reached out to Mitch this a.m."

All Kupchak would say Saturday was there was "no update" on things.

The Pistons have been expected to sign Webber ever since his contract was bought out and he was released by Philadelphia on Thursday.

After talking to Kupchak on Thursday, Goodwin wrote, "Mitch then needed to talk to Sir Phil to see where he stood on the situation. We agreed to speak sometime Friday afternoon, after he had talked to coach Jackson."

Kupchak called at 3:45 p.m., but Goodwin said he was on a flight to watch one ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ of his clients, Miami guard Gary Payton, play in what could have been the last game of his career in his hometown of Oakland, Calif.

"Obviously, I didn't think Phil's quote, given the nature of this situation, was humorous," Goodwin wrote.

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3335 on: January 15, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
^^What happened to "get rid of Smush!" under your avatar?... ;D

8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3336 on: January 15, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »
^^Good job lying... I never once claimed to support Smush dissing Phil or Rambis, but you definitely claimed you wanted to get rid of him less than a month before you hopped back on his bandwaggon. :-X
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:10:56 PM by Now_I_Know »

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3337 on: January 15, 2007, 12:54:55 PM »
Why would i want players that hurt my favorite team and disses our coaches?...And He's playing better and deserves his props, But he has to have a bunch of these tipe of games for us REAL Lakers fans to forget about him dissing Phil & Rambis.

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #3338 on: January 15, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
The Lakers celebrate Martin Luther King day by hosting Dwyane Wade and the Miami Heat. The game will be televised nationally by TNT starting at 7pm (PST).
Get the latest SCOUTING REPORT on Courtside Connection | Preview | Game Notes
TIP: 7:00pm (PST) | TV: TNT | RADIO: KLAC 570, ESPN 1330 |

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3339 on: January 15, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »
Why would i want players that hurt my favorite team and disses our coaches?...And He's playing better and deserves his props, But he has to have a bunch of these tipe of games for us REAL Lakers fans to forget about him dissing Phil & Rambis.

LOL@"fans" who only root for their player/team when they're doing good. :stupid:

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3340 on: January 15, 2007, 08:40:46 PM »
LMFAO@Wade's expressions after they call a foul in his favor, you can clearly see the guilt in that smirk he tries to play off...Anyone see the clean strip by Kobe in the 3rd?  :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Edit:
Travelling by Wade! Kobe gets blatantly fouled

ROFLMAO. STEVE KERR JUST CALLED 'EM OUT.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:44:54 PM by Now_I_Know »

rik

« Reply #3341 on: January 15, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
LMFAO@Wade's expressions after they call a foul in his favor, you can clearly see the guilt in that smirk he tries to play off...Anyone see the clean strip by Kobe in the 3rd? :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Wade carried that shit too.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3342 on: January 15, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
The Staples crowd knows what's up...

rik

« Reply #3343 on: January 15, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
What the fuck? The ball had already left Smush's hand.

wcsoldier

« Reply #3344 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »
Glad we won... smh at the NBA constant conspirancy  :grumpy: