Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 288268 times)

wcsoldier

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #5130 on: August 13, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »
Kupchak, Lakers haven't done much this summer
BY STEVE DILBECK
Article Last Updated: 08/11/2007 10:37:52 PM PDT

So Mitch Kupchak, how's your summer going?

Ah, nothing like a little offseason hullabaloo to really make you really appreciate a nice Caribbean cruise.

Kobe Bryant, most talented player on the planet, has called out Kupchak like he was ready to go one-on-one at the local playground.

Wants the team revamped and overhauled, or at least seriously upgraded. Either that or he wants out, or he doesn't, but that's another confusing story.

The bad news for Kobe, I think, is that Kupchak seems pretty happy with the modest moves made thus far in the offseason.

"If this was the team that we started the season off with, I would be fine with it," Kupchak said. "I feel that we're an improved team over last year."

This falls under the "eyes of the beholder" category, the most significant pair of peepers belonging possibly not to GM Kupchak nor owner Jerry Buss, but Lakers superstar Kobe...

hus far Kupchak and the Lakers have responded by signing veteran point guard Derek Fisher, re-signing Chris Mihm and Luke Walton, and selecting point guard Javaris Crittenton with the 19th pick.

Kupchak figures you throw in a dose of health that escaped the team last season and the natural progression of young players like Ronny Turiaf, Jordan Farmar and Bynum, and you have an improved team.

"I look at our team and look at a very balanced team with veteran and young players," Kupchak said.

Alas, the NBA has not been left shaking at this mini-makeover. It hardly seems of championship caliber and it's unlikely our man Kobe has been throwing any celebratory parties down at Newport Beach.

The opportunity to improve a team dwindles during the course of the offseason. The draft concludes. Free agents are signed. Trades are consummated. The pool of available players naturally shrinks.

And here are your new Lakers. Pretty much like your old Lakers. Which is not what most fans hoped for after Kupchak's postseason comments and the additional pressure brought on the front office by Kobe.

"I do feel there is more pressure or more expectations to dramatically change this team," Kupchak said. "My season-ending comments were that we were going to be more aggressive than we normally are. That's a byproduct of the season ending the way it did.

"But having said that, we're not going to do deals or sign players just to do it. We're going to do things we feel are going to improve the team. We feel that our team as it is structured right now, is improved over last year." ...

"I think you could say 29 teams in the NBA today are looking at Boston and saying, `Wow, is that something they could have done and how much better are they going to be?' " Kupchak said.

"Cleary that's the deal of the offseason. Without talking about a particular player in this league, I know how much time we spent on being aggressive this summer. I know as an organization we did everything we could do to do a deal that would improve the team.

"You can't will a deal to take place. It takes two teams, sometimes more. Nobody really knows besides the owner and general manager, but the question you ask is: Did you do everything you could do to procure a certain player?

"If you're comfortable with the answer, you move on. And I am."

That doesn't, of course, mean Kobe has been left happy this summer.

"I'm not going to get into those types of questions," Kupchak said...

"Just because there hasn't been a dramatic trade in July, doesn't mean there won't be one down the road," Kupchak said. "We're only going to look to do something that is going to improve the team. We don't want to go sideways. And certainly we don't want to go backwards just because there are `expectations and pressure.' "

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6603820

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5131 on: August 13, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
Signed:
Derek Fisher
Coby Karl

Re-signed:
Luke Walton
Chris Mihm (very cheap)

Drafted:
Javaris Crittenton
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol
(all possible steals)

Dropped:
Smush Parker
Shammond Williams
Aaron McKie

Negotiations:
Lamar + Bynum + fillers for KG (dead)
Kwame + fillers for Artest
Bynum + fillers for JO

...I wouldn't call that nothing.

wcsoldier

« Reply #5132 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:19 AM »
At least we aren't overpaying just to make a trade and that's a good thing .. then I don't know what's the status of the negotations about JO ... some say there even haven't been talks since the JO "I want to be a Laker" thing , some say Bynum was never offered for a JO deal ... I guess we have to wait and see ... hope something gonna happen though

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5133 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:45 AM »
^Bynum was offered...Odom AND Bynum is the package Lakers weren't willing to part with.

wcsoldier

« Reply #5134 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »
^^^^ WAY too much ... Bird is a clown coz he acts like " we aren't gonna trade JO for cheap" but when he opts out next year , the Pacers will be screwed ..

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5135 on: August 13, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »
Bird is just taking his time. And Mitch too. I'm positive about this trade.

@ Nik: today i was reading an interview done to Bob McAdoo (he played in Milan with D'Antoni, here in Italy), and he said "Steve (Nash) wouldn't be that good in another team (with a different organization)". ;D

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5136 on: August 13, 2007, 12:24:52 PM »
^^^Yes...It might take a little longer for some, but soon, more and more people will catch on. 8)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5137 on: August 13, 2007, 12:52:59 PM »
Who cares? He's hella good in PHX, end of story.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5138 on: August 13, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
^^^^ WAY too much ... Bird is a clown coz he acts like " we aren't gonna trade JO for cheap" but when he opts out next year , the Pacers will be screwed ..

I'd rather be under the cap and shit than loaded with bullshit players like Kwame, Radman and Cook for years.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5139 on: August 13, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
Signed:
Derek Fisher
Coby Karl

Re-signed:
Luke Walton
Chris Mihm (very cheap)

Drafted:
Javaris Crittenton
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol
(all possible steals)

Dropped:
Smush Parker
Shammond Williams
Aaron McKie

Negotiations:
Bynum + fillers for JO

The best moves on there are bringing Derek Fisher back and NOT re-signing Smush. Our front office took another summer off.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5140 on: August 13, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
Signed:
Derek Fisher
Coby Karl

Re-signed:
Luke Walton
Chris Mihm (very cheap)

Drafted:
Javaris Crittenton
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol
(all possible steals)

Dropped:
Smush Parker
Shammond Williams
Aaron McKie

Negotiations:
Bynum + fillers for JO

The best moves on there are bringing Derek Fisher back and NOT re-signing Smush. Our front office took another summer off.

What could we have done that we didn't...?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5141 on: August 13, 2007, 02:21:54 PM »

I'd rather be under the cap and shit than loaded with bullshit players like Kwame, Radman and Cook for years.

I rather have Kwame and Radman than a good portion of the Dallas roster...

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5142 on: August 13, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »
Signed:
Derek Fisher
Coby Karl

Re-signed:
Luke Walton
Chris Mihm (very cheap)

Drafted:
Javaris Crittenton
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol
(all possible steals)

Dropped:
Smush Parker
Shammond Williams
Aaron McKie

Negotiations:
Bynum + fillers for JO

Dude Kobe flipped out and demanded to be traded; Jerry Buss met with him then took a fuckin vacation and left the dumbest person in the world (next to you) in charge of our whole organization. They didn't try to go after Pau Gasol at all, they should've brought in a defensive swingman (Patterson, Posey, Pietrus were all available), they didn't do a good job drafting (lol @ 3 steals), and the list goes on. If they would've made proper moves then Kobe's decision wouldn't be such a mystery right now.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5143 on: August 13, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
Luke Interviewed on AM 570 Today - Gave Some Interesting Info (Some New Kobe Info)

Here are the major points from the interview -

*The only contact he has had with Kobe this summer was after he re-signed with the Lakers in Mid-July.

*Kobe told Luke that regardless of what happens, if he comes back to the Lakers, he will go full force and give 100% as usual.

*Luke said that he didn't believe that a big trade would be coming, but that its possible 1 or 2 more smaller trades could come.

*Luke talked about Chris Mihm coming back and that he looks really good. He said that before Mihm got injured he was having one of his best seasons ever and the Lakers really missed him last year. He said that having Mihm back could make a big difference.

*Luke stated that he wanted to become more of a leader next year and that he is completely healthy.

*Finally, and a bit OT, they talked about Luke's end of the summer bash with Richard Jefferson, stating that it was known as one of the top 3 best parties in So Cal (along with the Playboy mansion's mid-summer's nights dream and the annual maxim bash).

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5144 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »
Signed:
Derek Fisher
Coby Karl

Re-signed:
Luke Walton
Chris Mihm (very cheap)

Drafted:
Javaris Crittenton
Sun Yue
Marc Gasol
(all possible steals)

Dropped:
Smush Parker
Shammond Williams
Aaron McKie

Negotiations:
Bynum + fillers for JO

Dude Kobe flipped out and demanded to be traded; Jerry Buss met with him then took a fuckin vacation and left the dumbest person in the world (next to you) in charge of our whole organization. They didn't try to go after Pau Gasol at all, they should've brought in a defensive swingman (Patterson, Posey, Pietrus were all available), they didn't do a good job drafting (lol @ 3 steals), and the list goes on. If they would've made proper moves then Kobe's decision wouldn't be such a mystery right now.

First of all, LMFAO@you calling anyone on here dumb. Ever since E-Crazy left, you have taken his throne as the undisputed dumbest son of a bitch on this site. Kobe has nothing to do with the executive decisions, our front office did whatever it could to bring as much talent in this off-season. There was never a shot at Gasol, moron. We have defensive swingmen (Kobe, Evans, Odom), that is the LEAST of our concern..
And shithead, how did the Lakers not do a good job of drafting when they picked up a top 10 prospect and got 2 second round players with NBA potential? Explain, shithead. Kobe's decision is based on what he wants, not based on the moves we make. Any team he gets traded to would be worse off than the Lakers...PeACe