Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread  (Read 288005 times)

gman1er

Re: Sticky: The Official Los Angeles Lakers thread
« Reply #5160 on: August 20, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »
Hey is oneil from the pacers coming to the lakers?

keepin_it_real

« Reply #5161 on: August 21, 2007, 01:20:41 AM »
I'm all for us gettin' Jermaine O'Neal as long as Odom ain't part of the trade, but I still think we shoulda gone all out 2 get K.G. though.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5162 on: August 21, 2007, 02:19:07 AM »
I'm all for us gettin' Jermaine O'Neal as long as Odom ain't part of the trade, but I still think we shoulda gone all out 2 get K.G. though.

We tried...

wcsoldier

« Reply #5163 on: August 21, 2007, 02:40:06 AM »
Regardless Mitch skills , people need to stop thinking you make NBA trades like you make them in NBA2K

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5164 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »
Bryant: 'The Lakers know exactly where I stand'

By Chris Sheridan
Updated: August 20, 2007

LAS VEGAS -- It was a simple yes or no question, and Kobe Bryant could have ended much of the speculation over his future simply by answering it.

"Do you still want the Lakers to trade you?"

As we walked toward the team bus some 40 minutes after Team USA's practice ended Saturday, this was his response:

"I'm not going to answer that question. The Lakers know exactly where I stand, and they've known exactly where I stand since the beginning of the summer."

The Kobe story might have regained some legs, thanks in large part to an on-camera interview Bryant gave to ESPN colleague Rachel Nichols in which he seemed to give an indication that things between him and the Lakers had smoothed over.

Here's a section of that interview:

Nichols: "You said one day you wanted to be traded, you said you wanted to be a 'Laker for life.' There were different phone calls back and forth."

Bryant: "I think a lot of people misinterpreted it. But that's water under the bridge to me, because going forward, we're handling our situation between ourselves, meaning the Lakers organization and myself. If things, if things were to be different, we both would have handled the situation a little differently."

"Water under the bridge," he said to Nichols. So I asked him exactly what he meant by that.

Bryant explained that what had washed under the bridge were the emotions and the frustrations he had been feeling earlier this summer when he first said publicly that he wanted the Lakers to trade him.

When I opined that people were going to hear "water under the bridge" and perceive that he was speaking of his trade request, he shook him head in response, frowning, and said that is why he is so reluctant to speak on the subject, because every time he opens his mouth, people walk away with a misperception.

Of course, that's because Bryant has made it difficult to understand what he wants.

It's been almost three months now since that crazy day in late May when Bryant was all over the board in interviews with Stephen A. Smith, Dan Patrick, Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times and Vic "The Brick" Jacobs of KLAC radio in Los Angeles, first saying he wanted the Lakers to "do the right thing, just do the right thing, man" and then saying he had always wanted to be a "Laker for life."

And just a few days ago, when Nichols asked Bryant how he was feeling about the Lakers at the moment, he replied with another answer that's open to interpretation: "It's my team. It's the team I play for."

Around the league, most people seem to think it boils down to this: Kobe still wants out, but the Lakers won't trade him -- at least that's the impression being left by Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, who was unavailable for comment because he is not due back from a European vacation until Friday.

But if Bryant holds out, what choice would the Lakers have?

If Bryant were to stage a holdout (which would be his only leverage) and put his image at a colossal risk, the Lakers could try to wait him out, withhold his salary and hope he changed his mind after missing his paychecks. But would the Lakers honestly believe that would work? They know better than anyone that we're talking about perhaps the most stubborn player in the entire NBA, a guy whose competitive instincts take over any time he is challenged.

Is Bryant all of a sudden going to lose that quality simply because the Lakers tell him they're not going to trade him? I think not.

And I'd further argue that any money Bryant lost through a holdout would be recouped by the 15 percent trade kicker in his contract, assuming he could retain that after forcing a trade. When I spoke to Bryant, I told him a "yes" or "no" answer to the question of whether he still wanted to be traded would clear up a lot of confusion for a lot of people, and he explained again that he does not want to propel his status back into the spotlight and steal the focus from Team USA.

So what we're left with is a somewhat cryptic explanation of the "water under the bridge" quote … and little else to go on as we try to figure out what will happen six weeks from now as the Lakers open training camp.

And despite Kobe saying now that the Lakers know exactly how he feels, what is going to matter much more is how he feels then.

Will Kobe be there when the Lakers report to camp in Hawaii? After looking him in the eye and getting a bit of a fresh mid-August reading of his mood, I'm not so certain he will be.

wcsoldier

« Reply #5165 on: August 21, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
^^^^ what do you think of the situation Nik ? living in LA y'all sure have a different look at the situation ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:42:02 AM by wcsoldier »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5166 on: August 21, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »
^^^^ what do you think of the situation Nik ?

It's clear to me, as it should be to most...Kobe wanted to give the FO a big push into a major attempt at contention. Kobe doesn't wanna be traded, anyone who thinks this is really not in touch with what's up...

Our team will be much better this season than the past 3, and it'll be partly due to Kobe's demands of perfection...PeACe

wcsoldier

« Reply #5167 on: August 21, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
^^^^ ok thanks as I added in my previous post when you don't live in LA (not even in the US for me) it's harder to have a real view about the situation coz lots of articles are just made to get people attention (like ESPN especially  Rich Bucher  ::)...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5168 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »
^^Exactly...That guy is a piece of shit. Check lakersground.net for updates instead of espn.

wcsoldier

« Reply #5169 on: August 21, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »
^^^^ Yeah I check both Lakersground.net and Clublakers.com ... members bitch WAY too much on ClubLakers imo though

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5170 on: August 21, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »
^^^^ Yeah I check both Lakersground.net and Clublakers.com ... members bitch WAY too much on ClubLakers imo though

Yea, most of the posters are fags, I got banned from Lakersground over a year ago for arguing with a mod about whether Jordan Farmar was Jewish or something like that...Clublakers is just completely gay though, nothing but a bunch of BabyG's.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5171 on: August 22, 2007, 07:44:53 PM »
nothing but a bunch of BabyG's.

What? A bunch of people who can think for themselves instead of dick riding the Lakers to increase their net status?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5172 on: August 22, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »
Lakers Sign 6-11 Center Larry Turner

(CBS) EL SEGUNDO The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent center Larry Turner, it was announced today.

Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Turner, a 6-11 center from Tennessee State, averaged 5.8 points and 6.1 rebounds as a senior.

Turner played for the Lakers 2007 Summer-Pro League team, averaging 7.4 points and 5.2 rebounds in five games.

Oh yeah this should definitely make Kobe more comfortable.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5173 on: August 22, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
^^That's for training camp, genius.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5174 on: August 22, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »
nothing but a bunch of BabyG's.

What? A bunch of people who can think for themselves instead of dick riding the Lakers to increase their net status?

No...A bunch of morons.