Author Topic: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers  (Read 661 times)

WestCoasta

Re: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 10:54:32 PM »
yeah, why pay $10 for something you know the ending to  ::)

I thought it would be huge though just because the public is so stupid

good news though

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 11:16:21 PM »
Even if the movie had a good story, he's a horrible actor (from what i could tell from trailers and such).

Hopefully they'll break even :) with all the movie budget, salaries, promotions....

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 01:28:46 AM »
50 did everything he could to hype the shit out of this, he was all over bet/mtv and i'm assuming interscope paid for all kinds of spins for his singles on mtv/bet trying to repeat the "8 mile" formula.  he was probably happy about the shooting because of the hype and attention it would generate, etc.

i'm not surprised at all (i didn't think it would do well):

-people are tired of hearing the same thing over and over again

-most of the ads i saw were on mtv/bet targeting that crowd, and i didn't see a lot of promotion in other places outside of that in terms of television advertising.  it was a really targeted ad campaign, and compared to the ads for the movie with jennifer aniston, the one with the kids or whatever, etc. it didn't really stand out as a choice for most normal moviegoers.

-i never saw 8 mile, but the tie-ins with eminem's album and the soundtrack actually worked and fit the movie in a compelling way that made people want to see it.  the soundtrack was doing great and from what i understand the song really represented the movie, we didn't see a similar kind of song off the get rich or die tryin' soundtrack that would have appealed to people to see the movie the same way (the singles were utter shit)

-bad reviews can do a LOT to hurt a movie.  normal people rely on reviews to figure out what to watch, and really help determine the kind of word-of-mouth a movie has.  a bad word-of-mouth can kill a movie in the long run, and this movie looked SHITTY (wooden acting, generic plot, etc.)

we knew the competition and all of this other shit going in, makes a lot of sense it wouldn't do well.  i didn't see anything that made me remotely want to watch the movie.

'EclipZe

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 01:43:00 AM »
so, next to flop will be the bulletproof game..  ::)

ABN

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 04:27:52 AM »
8 Mile did twice as much in it´s opening week.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 06:32:36 AM »
What kind of article is this? 

On Friday night, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” the violent biopic about Curtis Jackson (famous for being shot nine times and then becoming the owner of much jewelry) finished in fourth place behind “Chicken Little,” “Zathura” and “Derailed.” It only narrowly beat out fifth place Jarhead with a take of $4.5 million.

Famous for owning much jewelry?   ::)

ABN

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 06:38:43 AM »

On Friday night, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” the violent biopic about Curtis Jackson (famous for being shot nine times and then becoming the owner of much jewelry) finished in fourth place behind “Chicken Little,” “Zathura” and “Derailed.” It only narrowly beat out fifth place Jarhead with a take of $4.5 million.

lmao i didn´t notice the jewelry part haha. it couldn´t be that he´s famous for sellin close to 20 million albums in 2 years ??? lmao i don´t think anyone knows of 50 coz he owns a ton of jewelry :)

Eihtball

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 08:17:08 AM »
50 is finally learning the hard way what I've been saying all along...if you over-saturate the market with your presence, people will get tired of you too quickly.  The most successful career rappers (Snoop, Jay-Z, Ludacris, etc.) are the ones who know how to keep their fans craving for more, which means liberally releasing albums, putting out merchandise, doing movies, etc. on a semi-frequent basis.  None of them sell 10 million records right off the bat with each release, but they've cultivated loyal fanbases so that they're assured of going at least Platinum every time.  50, in comparison, has been throwing out endless new material aimed solely at pop audiences - and pop audiences have short attention spans.  Once you've been in their face long enough, they get tired of you.  MC Hammer made this mistake 15 years ago, Master P and Diddy both made it during the late-90s', Ja Rule made it only a few years ago, and now 50 is doing the same thing.

It's been pretty obvious for a while now that G-Unit is not the hip-hop empire 50 has been trying to build.  Yayo's album flopped, Olivia's album keeps getting pushed back, Spider Loc's album is nowhere in sight, and the rest of 50's new soldiers (Mobb Deep, M.O.P., Mase, etc.) are obviously not going to be doing much except guest appearances anytime soon.  In 2006, I have a feeling we're going to see G-Unit fall spectacularly.  Remember when 50 said that he was going to have Fat Joe and Jadakiss releasing on Koch by the time he was done with them?  That's what's going to happen to him if he's not careful.

blonde_opie

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 08:50:41 AM »

lmao i didn´t notice the jewelry part haha. it couldn´t be that he´s famous for sellin close to 20 million albums in 2 years ??? lmao i don´t think anyone knows of 50 coz he owns a ton of jewelry :)

Oh!  50 Cent? Yeah, isn't he the guy that owns all the jewelry?

LOL!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 09:04:24 AM »
Olivia is gonna flop. Spider Loc? Who da fuck is that?  ;D

Olivia already has flopped basically, hasn't she had two singles out or something?

Olivia wont sell, the hip hop crowd wont buy her album and true r'n'b heads aint gonna pick it up.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005, 09:19:21 AM »
THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Rapper's movie draws police attention

Louie Rosella
Nov 10, 2005

Security measures are in place and paid-duty police officers have been hired at Mississauga's movie theatres as the highly-anticipated film depicting international rap star 50 Cent's gang- and violence-riddled life, hit the big screens Wednesday.
Two female employees at the Famous Players theatre on Rathburn Rd. expressed their fear yesterday with the type of crowd the movie generated on opening night.

"It wasn't a comfortable environment to be in at all," said the 16-year-old, who asked to remain anonymous. "I was getting all kinds of looks from customers and they were dressed really shady."

Peel police said there has yet to be any major incidents relating to the movie, but a source confirmed paid duty officers were hired by Famous Players to monitor at least two theatres in the region Wednesday and Thursday nights.

The controversial movie, Get Rich or Die Tryin', portrays 50 Cent's climb to fame, starting back with his involvement with guns and gangs. It includes several of the shootings the multi-platinum artist has survived.

Pat Marshall, vice-president of communications for Cineplex Galaxy, which owns Famous Players, said extra security is brought in for situations that may present problems for staff and guests, but wouldn't comment on the 50 Cent movie specifically.

"Security and safety of our guests as well as our employees is of paramount concern," she said. "But I won't comment on anything relating to any specific film in terms of our security measures in any way. The more information people have about security measures, the easier it is for them to try to get past them."

Marshall would only say that security measures are in place in a number of different areas of each theatre, "covering a variety of different initiatives."

Theatre staff has also been trained to deal with security issues if they arise, she said.

Marshall also wouldn't comment on the police presence.

"We do use paid duty police officers where we think it's appropriate, and we don't hesitate to bring them in," she said.

ABN

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »
"It wasn't a comfortable environment to be in at all," said the 16-year-old, who asked to remain anonymous. "I was getting all kinds of looks from customers and they were dressed really shady."
bitch just say it like it is, your ass is scared of black people lookin like a bunch of "thugs". gettin all kinds of looks? lmao at her pissing in her pants coz of the way people looks at her.

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 11:20:34 AM »
its just a bad fucking movie cause he tries to be so gangster and he cant even act

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 02:00:08 PM »
'Gangsta,gangsta, I\ll tell you how you do it, acting as bad as you do,there ain't nothing to it...'

it does remind me of Game's line '50 Cent's fans love him...just a little bit!'
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005, 02:02:13 PM »
strange - i expected this movie to do well.
NO MORE WAR