Author Topic: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers  (Read 663 times)

Wessia4LiaNia Chieee Chieee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'M Mo' Than a God I'M a Warrior
Re: 50's movie bombs at the box office. Box office numbers
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2005, 02:09:12 PM »
this is more a documentary than a movie, isn't it? and i expected to sell, and 4,5 mil I think it's enough for a gangsta wannabe...anyway i haven;t saw it yet...so i can't pronounce myself until then
Lyrical Swords 4 Lia

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »
only reason the movie isn't doing that good iz cuz his fanz arent old enuff to get in... my 7 year old nephew loves 50 cents muzic.... 8)

Sikotic™

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2005, 03:03:06 PM »
only reason the movie isn't doing that good iz cuz his fanz arent old enuff to get in... my 7 year old nephew loves 50 cents muzic.... 8)

LMAO never thought about it like that. You're probably right though.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Eihtball

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »
Hey, here's some real irony: "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" opened behind "Derailed", which is Xzibit's new movie (or at least, he has a pretty big role in the movie).

Sikotic™

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2005, 04:16:43 PM »
"Chicken Little"  and that wanna-be ass Jumanji movie stomped that mtuhafucka out.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

WestCoasta

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2005, 04:21:25 PM »
50 did everything he could to hype the shit out of this, he was all over bet/mtv and i'm assuming interscope paid for all kinds of spins for his singles on mtv/bet trying to repeat the "8 mile" formula.  he was probably happy about the shooting because of the hype and attention it would generate, etc.

i'm not surprised at all (i didn't think it would do well):

-people are tired of hearing the same thing over and over again

-most of the ads i saw were on mtv/bet targeting that crowd, and i didn't see a lot of promotion in other places outside of that in terms of television advertising.  it was a really targeted ad campaign, and compared to the ads for the movie with jennifer aniston, the one with the kids or whatever, etc. it didn't really stand out as a choice for most normal moviegoers.

-i never saw 8 mile, but the tie-ins with eminem's album and the soundtrack actually worked and fit the movie in a compelling way that made people want to see it.  the soundtrack was doing great and from what i understand the song really represented the movie, we didn't see a similar kind of song off the get rich or die tryin' soundtrack that would have appealed to people to see the movie the same way (the singles were utter shit)

-bad reviews can do a LOT to hurt a movie.  normal people rely on reviews to figure out what to watch, and really help determine the kind of word-of-mouth a movie has.  a bad word-of-mouth can kill a movie in the long run, and this movie looked SHITTY (wooden acting, generic plot, etc.)

we knew the competition and all of this other shit going in, makes a lot of sense it wouldn't do well.  i didn't see anything that made me remotely want to watch the movie.
yeah you're right

I don't like Eminem but "8 Mile" wasn't a bad movie and he wasn't a bad actor imo

50 Cent looks awful and the fuckin movie looks like shit, even though some thing in it are true it just looks forced and fake

'DsR'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2005, 05:43:23 PM »
Also, people are tired of hearing his story lol.  Everybody knows it. 

and no one wants to waste money on a movie, in which the main character mumbles through his liines without showing any emotion

lol

"fuck under tha influence im hella fucked up, swervin down the freeway spillin my cup"

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »
"It wasn't a comfortable environment to be in at all," said the 16-year-old, who asked to remain anonymous. "I was getting all kinds of looks from customers and they were dressed really shady."
bitch just say it like it is, your ass is scared of black people lookin like a bunch of "thugs". gettin all kinds of looks? lmao at her pissing in her pants coz of the way people looks at her.
^hahahahaaaaaa...true.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2005, 08:50:04 PM »
lol 50 is preme's son
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Trauma-san

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 09:34:07 PM »
What the article brings up, but doesn't mention, is my theory: I don't think 50 Cent has that many die hard fans. 

You look @ people like Eminem, he's got people that hang on everything he does, and most of them are white or young teenage girls, or whatever.  He has a definite following.

Look @ Jay Z.  He has fans that dig everything he puts out, and others (like me) that may not consider themselves fans, but he has their respect. 

Look @ Dr. Dre.  Tons of respect, everything he does generates a buzz because of the high quality associated with anything he touches.

Look @ Snoop.  Die hard fans who think he's cool and buy everything he does.

I don't see 50 with that kind of a fan.  Who's buying his shit?  Maybe at first, he had tons of fans, but it's dropped off now to where all he has left are casual fans that like his music simply because this song's alright or that beat's hot.  I don't think he's got many fans who are all 50 cent 50 cent 50 cent and buy everything he puts out.  I just don't see it.  So what that translates to is, you're not going to have 300 thousand 50 cent fans going to see his movie, you're going to have 300,000 moviegoers who want to see an urban drama so they go see the new movie that 50 cent is in, not for him but just because it's a movie aimed at that urban audience.... which is why it didn't do huge.  8 Mile was aimed at more than that audience, and Eminem had such a strong fan base of teeny boppers on top of his casual hip-hop fans, and the urban audience that it was aimed at, that the appeal crossed over and he drew in evvvvverybody.  My manager has two teenage white girls, all of them love that movie and bought the DVD, the soundtrack, everything.  50's stuck with the 300,000 people who went to the movies specifically to see that type of movie, Eminem was able to draw in people who wouldn't normally see an Urban flick.  BTW, Ice Cube did the same thing several times successfully, "Barbershop" and "Friday" were urban comedys but crossed over to larger audiences due to good reviews, good acting, word of mouth, and well written movies.  50 has horrible reviews, horrible word of mouth (no pun intended), and it's apparently not a very well written movie, so he's stuck with his urban audience.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:39:45 PM by I Want My Donation Back »