Author Topic: Anyone buy the Xbox 360?  (Read 803 times)

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
Re: Anyone buy the Xbox 360?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 07:55:31 PM »
everyone remember that whole dreamcast thing???... well im sure those people wished they would have waited til the PS2 came out....

Wished? Why? They played great games on Dreamcast for a year and then could sell it and buy a PS2.
Console is not a tatoo on your ass - you can get rid of it easily.
I'm not going to wait another year for PS3, if I can spend it playing x360 and later decide which console I prefer.
well in my opinion the dreamcast was better than the xbox.... im not bashing it its just that everyone as waiting for the ps2 and also now it just seems like alot of people are going to be waiting for the PS3

hahha...xbox was better than ps2...well, in my opinion  ::)
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 09:46:06 PM »
my store only had 20 of em...all gone today

Doesn't that seem a little rediculous to anyone?  If you go into a store, they usually have oh, 50 gamecubes, and 50 psp's, and whatever.  I was In Best Buy tonight, they had at least 100 PS2's sitting on a pallet.

There's a rumour going around, that this all a strategy by Microsoft.  When the Nintendo DS came out earlier this year, it sold out all over the place.  When the PSP came out, Sony had produced TONS of them, and the orders were very high because everyone knew it would be very successful.  Sony sold tons of PSP's, but they didn't SELL OUT in most locations, because they had enough product to fill the stores and meet demand (Nintendo didn't with the D.S.).

Now; the result of that was, some industry 'analysts' (read, nerds who write for gaming magazines) deemed Sony's PSP launch a failure.  It's true they didn't sell as many systems as Nintendo, but they still sold one hell of a lot of systems, and by fair standards (and I'm a Nintendo fan) Sony's PSP was a resounding success for them.  Not to the industry analysts though...

So the rumour is (and it's been partially confirmed) that Microsoft came up with an "Influencer marketing" strategy that theorizes that in every circle of friends, there are certain 'die hard' gamers who influence the others into buying games and systems.  These die hard gamers are the ones who will go stand in line and be the first to have a system.  Microsoft's theory is, that if they put a limited supply out (I.E., a rediculous 20 systems a store), that the only people that will get the 360's are the die hard gamers.  The news will pick up on the craziness, and report on it... and the die hard gamers will act like they're something special and brag about the systems... driving sales even HIGHER when Microsoft floods the market with the systems in the next few weeks.

That makes a LOT of sense to me... because I can't understand how they would only have 20 systems a store to go.  Another thing that makes this believable is, the rumours (from a couple weeks ago) said that Microsoft was instructing everyone to immediately plaster big "SOLD OUT!" signs the moment they sold out, to increase the hype.  I went to Toys R Us and Best Buy tonight, and both had "SOLD OUT!" signs posted.  They were sold out of tons of other shit too, but that was the only thing they had taken the time to write a sign for.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 09:53:58 PM »
The Best Buy in Hawthorne had 250 Xbox 360s, there was a line of over 300 people and that shit was all over the news

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 10:07:26 PM »
when it comes to the gaming its not really the hardware its the software thats going to really make or break you cause the hardware is always way to similar..... games and exclusives are whats important...

PS2 best software IMO
Dreamcast had awsome software IMO better than even the XBOX
Xbox i think had the worst software of the 3.... besides everyone hyping halo past the moon and shit

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 11:28:36 PM »
I didn't regret buying the Dreamcast one bit. One of the most enjoyable systems I've had. The PS2 has dicked me over for so much money it's rediculous. I've had 3 ps2's over the course of the last 4 years. The first 2 quit working within 4 months of purchase. Costing me 100 bucks each time to send off to sony, pay thier repair fee, and get a new one. Retarded. With the exception of Gran Turismo 3 and 4.... I never found need to play the ps2. The GTA series never appealed to me, so I played the xbox and cube alot more. I think Sony is gonna have some trouble this round. Peeps making the parallel to Dreamcast/Ps2 aren't looking at it right imo. This is more of a PS2 before Xbox/Gamecube if you ask me. Dreamcast came outta no where, and followed up a huge failure in the Sega Saturn. Xbox isn't a failure, and has much more steam than the dreamcast ever did before it's launch. I don't think sony is gonna fall off, I just think they are letting microsoft steal a good chunk of its thunder. As far as I'm concerned, I hope Sony falls off! Screw them for stealing my money!!! :)

Don Breezio

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
^^^i agree with everthing you said....the saturn was a failure...almost as much of a failure as sega cd....sega fucked up for a few years....but in saturns defense it had some sick games...i loved my saturn

Don Seer

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 12:24:40 AM »
trauma.. you're slightly cynical.. lol..

microsoft are doing a world first there. they're pushing the console in every single territory at the same time.. no one every dropped a console in the US, Japan and Europe at the same time.. they know they're gonna run out and yes.. maybe that "influencer" thing is a part of it.. but microsoft's line is that they want everyone to have it at the same time and not have Japan having it for months and then the US,.. and then europe.. it makes everyone feel important and "the first".. these "influencers" arent just the first in your country or your area.. but the among first in the whole wide world.. now thats big

so according to them.. fact is there arent enough consoles made to sell. but they're rather do it this way than swamp several markets at once.

and about timing ... u know last xmas.. it was all about the crystal xboxs.. they were in short supply and running out and people were scrambling to get them...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 12:27:07 AM by Overseer »

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »
Man I'd sure like one... Problem is they're expensive as FUCK. The price on the tag is so big it isn't even funny.

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 01:42:38 AM »
I just played the demo 360 at Target and it's impressive to say the least. But I'm waiting for all of the consoles to be released before I make my decision. It's too much money to be throwing away to get a system that sucks ass. I've been a Sony guy for a while. I doubt that will change but I'll give them all a fair shot.

Don Seer

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 01:52:24 AM »

.. but ps3 wont be outside japan for a year...

and it'll be more than xbox360 is now..

Don Breezio

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 02:45:49 AM »
Man I'd sure like one... Problem is they're expensive as FUCK. The price on the tag is so big it isn't even funny.

its no more expensive than any other console ever has been....think about it...the core console is 299.95...almost every console has been that much or more...even my mom paid that in 1985 for my NES. I paid that for my N64, sega genesis, sega saturn, ps2 and i would've paid that for my xbox if it wasn't for the fact that my roommate was moving, needed a new phone before he moved...and i happened to have a motorola razr that i didnt need...

either way the core console is a great price and so is the pro console or whatever its called....it comes with a harddrive, wireless controller, and remote control....if you were to buy those things it would cost well over the 100.00 difference in price between the 2 packs

Trauma-san

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 06:33:06 AM »
trauma.. you're slightly cynical.. lol..

microsoft are doing a world first there. they're pushing the console in every single territory at the same time.. no one every dropped a console in the US, Japan and Europe at the same time.. they know they're gonna run out and yes.. maybe that "influencer" thing is a part of it.. but microsoft's line is that they want everyone to have it at the same time and not have Japan having it for months and then the US,.. and then europe.. it makes everyone feel important and "the first".. these "influencers" arent just the first in your country or your area.. but the among first in the whole wide world.. now thats big

so according to them.. fact is there arent enough consoles made to sell. but they're rather do it this way than swamp several markets at once.

and about timing ... u know last xmas.. it was all about the crystal xboxs.. they were in short supply and running out and people were scrambling to get them...  ;)

So in otherwords, you agree with EVERYTHING I SAID !

Trauma-san

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 06:44:27 AM »

its no more expensive than any other console ever has been....think about it...the core console is 299.95...almost every console has been that much or more...even my mom paid that in 1985 for my NES. I paid that for my N64, sega genesis, sega saturn, ps2 and i would've paid that for my xbox if it wasn't for the fact that my roommate was moving, needed a new phone before he moved...and i happened to have a motorola razr that i didnt need...

either way the core console is a great price and so is the pro console or whatever its called....it comes with a harddrive, wireless controller, and remote control....if you were to buy those things it would cost well over the 100.00 difference in price between the 2 packs

I dunno man.  I don't agree, I think the 299 is pretty fuckin' high for a stripped system with no game.  When you bought all your examples above (I'm not even sure you're right on the price on all of them) they had games, two controllers, etc. and were the 'premium' package, which is what Xbox has for 399. 

I just checked some prices, the Nintendo 64 was $199 at launch, so you got screwed wherever you bought yours.
The Gamecube was 199 at launch.
The Super Nintendo was 200 at launch.
The Sega Genesis was 200 at launch in New York, then launched us wide slightly after for 190.

Saturn was initially 400 then dropped to 300. 
PS2 and Xbox were of course 299. 

MIC

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 07:08:53 AM »

I dunno man.  I don't agree, I think the 299 is pretty fuckin' high for a stripped system with no game.  When you bought all your examples above (I'm not even sure you're right on the price on all of them) they had games, two controllers, etc. and were the 'premium' package, which is what Xbox has for 399. 

I just checked some prices, the Nintendo 64 was $199 at launch, so you got screwed wherever you bought yours.
The Gamecube was 199 at launch.
The Super Nintendo was 200 at launch.
The Sega Genesis was 200 at launch in New York, then launched us wide slightly after for 190.

Saturn was initially 400 then dropped to 300. 
PS2 and Xbox were of course 299. 

So basically you're saying that 'stripped' PS2 on launch day cost the same as 'stripped' x360 today. Where's the difference?

And if you take inflation into account, it's even a little cheaper.

Trauma-san

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 07:21:20 AM »
I guess you have a point, but I'll add a couple things.

1. I didn't buy a ps2, either, because of the initial price.  I eventually got mine used for 50 bucks.
2. I didn't buy an Xbox, either, because of the initial price.  I eventually got mine used for 75 bucks.
3. I'm not really bitching about the Xbox in particular, because I've already said several times I'd buy a 360 way before I'd buy a PS3, which is going to be considerably more expensive.  I'm just bitching I guess about paying 299 or 399 for a system, makes no sense to me... I'm not your average gamer though, so what do I know.  I would imagine though, that the PS3 is going to get hurt by it's much larger price tag.