Author Topic: Nation Of Islam Puts A Hit On Arab Liquor Store Owners  (Read 199 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Nation Of Islam Puts A Hit On Arab Liquor Store Owners
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:04:32 AM »
Bakery founder's son, friend surrender in vandalism at two West Oakland liquor stores
By Harry Harris, Cecily Burt and Susan McDonough, STAFF WRITERS

OAKLAND — Yusef Bey IV, 19, the self-proclaimed heir to the Your Black Muslim Bakery franchise founded by his late father, Yusef Bey, surrendered to Oakland police Tuesday in connection with the vandalism of two West Oakland liquor stores a week ago.
Also arrested was Donald Eugene Cunningham, 73, a longtime associate of the elder Bey. Both were arrested on suspicion of vandalism, conspiracy, robbery and making terrorist threats. They were booked at the North County jail, where they are being held in lieu of $200,000 bail.

The younger Bey refused to talk to investigators Tuesday. In an interview with the Oakland Tribune on Friday, he said members of the bakery were not involved in the incidents.

An employee at the bakery would not comment on the arrest Tuesday.

Police are seeking at least four other men — believed to be affiliated with the Bey organization — who they suspect were involved in the vandalism. The vandals were caught on a surveillance camera at the San Pablo Market.

Last Wednesday, about a dozen African-American men wearing suits, white shirts and bow ties entered San Pablo Market and Liquors at 2363 San Pablo Ave. around 11:30 p.m. and smashed liquor bottles and refrigerator cases. They asked if the owners were Muslim and told them to stop selling alcohol to the African-American community. It is against Islamic law to drink alcohol.

The group left and went to New York Market at 2446 Market St., where, about 10 minutes later, they did the same thing. They also disarmed a shotgun from the clerk and took the weapon with them when they left.

Police said they do not know whether the vandalism is related to an arson fire set at New York Market early Monday morning or to the abduction of Abdel "Tony" Hamdan, 19, of Hercules, who was working at the store the night of the fire.

Hamdan was found unharmed inside the trunk of a Mercury sedan just before 2 p.m. Monday at a Safeway parking lot in El Cerrito, about an hour after he was reported missing. A passer-by heard him yelling and called police.

Hamdan was not reported missing by relatives for several hours despite having called a relative sometime between 12:30 and 1 a.m. Monday
to say he locked his keys in the car and to ask for help. The fire was reported at 1:18 a.m. Hamdan was not there after the fire, nor did he show up to open the store in the morning.
Police said an accelerant was used to start the blaze, and there was no sign of forced entry. Hamdam told police he was abducted before the fire broke out and driven around in the trunk for a few hours before the car was left in the parking lot.

Keith Muhammad, a leader of the Nation of Islam-affiliated Muhammad Mosque 26B in Oakland, would not comment on the arrests. The organization has decried implications it may have been involved in the liquor store vandalism and said the lumping together of groups based on attire and religion is akin to religious persecution.

"We have no comment at this time beyond the statements that have already been made," he said. "We are thankful in the police acknowledging (our position) relating to the investigation."

Yusef Bey founded Your Black Muslim Bakery, an umbrella organization that eventually included bakeries, schools, security services and apartments to provide self-reliance for his followers.

Bey died of cancer two years ago during his trial on criminal sex-abuse charges. Since then, several bakery leaders have been killed or attacked.

The badly decomposed body of Waajid Aljawaad Bey, 51, president and chief executive officer of Your Black Muslim Bakery, was found buried in a shallow grave in the Oakland hills in July 2004.

John Bey, the adopted son of Yusef Bey, was seriously wounded in June when at least one gunman ambushed him while he was leaving his Montclair-area home. And most recently, Bey's son Antar, 23, the newest leader of the Bey empire, was shot and killed in October while getting gas at a station in North Oakland.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nation Of Islam Puts A Hit On Arab Liquor Store Owners
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:05:06 AM »
Here's another article...

Oakland liquor stores under siege
Suspected Black Muslims warn business owners not to sell alcohol to African Americans
By Cecily Burt, STAFF WRITER

Abdul Saleh owner of San Pablo Liquor store in Oakland shows bottles of liquor broken by the Black Muslims on Wednesday night. (Ray Chavez/staff)

OAKLAND — Abdul Saleh has just one question for the men — suspected by authorities to be Black Muslims — who trashed his corner store late Wednesday, terrorizing his 17-year-old son and another clerk and causing thousands of dollars in damage.
Why?

"I don't know why they tried to destroy my life," said Saleh, who has owned San Pablo Market and Liquor in West Oakland since 1986. "We came here for a better living, not to make war with anybody."

About a dozen African-American men wearing suits, white-collared shirts and bow ties — a trademark of the Nation of Islam — entered the store on San Pablo Avenue and West Street around 11:30 p.m.

One went behind the counter and swept dozens of shelved liquor bottles to the floor. Others smashed glass refrigerator doors with long slim metal pipes, breaking beer and wine bottles inside the cases. The whole incident from start to finish was caught on surveillance tape.

The men warned the store clerks to stop selling alcohol to African Americans, but they also knocked over display racks containing bread and other food items. Then, almost as quickly as they arrived, they all filed out and headed to another West Oakland liquor store, New York Market at Market and 35th streets, where they did the same thing.

Although the men did not identify themselves as Black Muslims or members of the Nation of Islam, police suspect that's who was behind the attacks, based on the attackers' attire.

"There was no warning. They never camein before," Saleh said Thursday morning.

He had cleaned up the broken glass, but a pool of liquid still dripped from inside the taped-up refrigerator cases, and the entire floor inside the bright corner store was sticky.

The storage area was filled with bins of broken beer, wine and liquor bottles. Milk crates filled with champagne and small bottles of Remy Martin and Hennessey

A MAN was caught on a surveillance camera at San Pablo Market and Liquor in West Oakland as he broke glass refrigerator doors with metal bars.

cognac were on the floor, waiting for someone to rinse them off and make sure they weren't broken.

The expense was large, but that was not on Saleh's mind.

"My son was here," Saleh said. "He was scared. When he called me he could not even speak.

"It makes me nervous, it's scary. They say, 'We will be back.' If the city of Oakland can't protect us, or a secur-

ity guard, what can they do with 12 or 13 people? I'm worried for my employees. I'm worried for my son's safety and my own safety. I am supporting two families from this place, 30 people."

At New York Market, a busy corner store that offers fortified beer and wine but no hard liquor, the owner, Tony, who just took over the store three months ago and did not want to use his last name, said the group was targeting alcohol when it should be after drugs.

"Before they talk about alcohol, they should talk about all the drugs and heroin on the street," he said.
His cousin was minding the store when the men came in at 11:40 p.m. At one point, his cousin reached for a shotgun behind the counter, but the men took it away from him, Tony said.

"I'm not worried. Let them come back," he said. "I'm not chokin' nobody, telling them to buy alcohol."

He might not be worried, but other market owners are.

One owner, who did not want to be identified for fear of reprisal, said he was scared, and compared what happened to a terrorist attack.

"It's worse than al-Qaida," he said. "They run into people's stores like that, anything can happen. Somebody is going to get hurt. When that happens, you don't know what your reaction is going to be. It's like somebody running into your house.

"We have to protect ourselves by any means necessary. If the police don't protect us, who will help us? They could do that to every store."

Representatives from Oakland's Black Muslim community did not return a phone call seeking comment about the incident.

Oakland's Deputy Chief Howard Jordan said police are very concerned and have ordered extra patrols in the area to try to protect the stores.

Jordan said they are investigating the incidents as hate crimes because most of the stores are owned and operated by Arabs or Arab Americans, and the suspects are telling them not to sell liquor to African Americans.

"It's vandalism and terrorism," he said. "We're characterizing it as a hate crime and actively pursuing all leads."

Jordan said the department is concerned about how widespread the attacks could become, especially with the large number of liquor stores in East and West Oakland, most located within African-American communities. The suspects did not attempt to hide their identities.

"We don't know if more are planned or this was an isolated incident," Jordan said. "We are looking at all the possibilities. If there are any trends, our intelligence units will track it nationwide."

He's also worried about people getting hurt or killed in an attempt to protect themselves and their property.

"We're not going to tell (the store owners) to arm themselves, but if it happens, it's a big concern," Jordan said. "We could have victims all over Oakland."

Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to call police at 238-3426 or 238-6946. A reward of up to $2,000 is being offered in each case.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 09:07:15 AM »
not NOI but FOI surely?

anyways.. this shows you're supporting terrorist violent acts by muslims pushing their own agenda infinite?  :D

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 09:40:48 AM »
not NOI but FOI surely?

anyways.. this shows you're supporting terrorist violent acts by muslims pushing their own agenda infinite?  :D

I just posted the articles, I didn't comment one way or another.  Believe it or not, I don't automatically have an opinion on every news piece that comes out.  I find this one very interesting, but that doesn't mean I have an opinion on it.  I will say that a Muslim has more to fear from Allah in opening up a liquor store, then he has to fear from any liquor store vandals.

Also, I want to add that the people involved in this were members of the Farakhan's Nation of Islam, but that doesn't necassarily mean that Farakhan ordered the hit; maybe, maybe not, Allah knows best.

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 09:52:47 AM »

ya do know what the difference between FOI and NOI is right?

NOI is the "normal" Nation of islam

FOI is the Fruit of Islam.. which is a militant sub group of the NOI.. they dont follow the same rules..

make more sense now?

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 09:58:51 AM »

FOI is the Fruit of Islam.. which is a militant sub group of the NOI.. they dont follow the same rules..

make more sense now?

Actually, you don't know what your talking about, nor does your reply have anything to do with my post.  But while we are on the subject the Fruit Of Islam is a part of the Nation Of Islam they are not a seperate group or a seperate entity.  The Fruit Of Islam also falls under the direction of Farakhan just like any other members of the Nation of Islam.  They are all Nation of Islam members they just specialize in providing security, military and defense for the Nation of Islam.  That's like saying the US military is a subgroup of Americans.  No, they are American's, Bush is still their president and leader, they just happen to work for the military.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 10:01:08 AM by Allah's Slave: Abdul-Infinite »

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:03:35 AM »

make more sense now?

Actually, you don't know what your talking about, nor does your reply have anything to do with my post.  But while we are on the subject the Fruit Of Islam is a part of the Nation Of Islam they are not a seperate group or a seperate entity.  The Fruit Of Islam also falls under the direction of Farakhan just like any other members of the Nation of Islam.  They are all Nation of Islam members they just specialize in security, military and defense.  That's like saying the US military is a subgroup of Americans.  No, they are American's, Bush is still their president and leader, they just happen to work for the military.

you contradict yourself.

Fruit Of Islam is a part of the Nation Of Islam they are not a seperate group or a seperate entity

I said SUB-group...  not seperate.

as for this...

They are all Nation of Islam members they just specialize in security, military and defense. 

let me bust the dictionary on you...

"mil·i·tant [ míllit'nt ]

adjective 

Definitions:

1. aggressive: extremely active in the defense or support of a cause, often to the point of extremism

2. involved in fighting: engaged in fighting or warfare
"

"specialize in security, military and defense" sure sounds like militant to me!

J Bananas

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 01:09:15 PM »
HOLY shit I live less than three blocks from YBMB but I've been outta town, thos guys are fuckin crazy they're always marching up and down the block in big numbers all silent and shit trying to look dangerous. NOI = THUGS, I cant wait to get back and see the damage those monkeys incurred

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »
Allah's Slaves are slaves, you know what a slave is? go back to work mothafucka and dont never come back on this board please oh please
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »
Fuck FOI/NOI
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

mauzip

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 02:23:22 PM »
This is what I think sometimes when I read the news:

Fuck FOI/NOI

:-X

WestCoasta

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:03 PM »
ah it's just typical business for 'em

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 03:03:25 PM »
not NOI but FOI surely?

Go back and read your first post on this thread, you said and I quote "Not Fruit of Islam but Nation of Islam surely."[/i]  When infact, I then explained to you that the Fruit Of Islam falls under the direction and leadership of Louis Farakhan and that they are all members of the Nation of Islam. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 03:06:23 PM by Allah's Slave: Abdul-Infinite »

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 03:20:22 PM »
not NOI but FOI surely?

Go back and read your first post on this thread, you said and I quote "Not Fruit of Islam but Nation of Islam surely."[/i]  When infact, I then explained to you that the Fruit Of Islam falls under the direction and leadership of Louis Farakhan and that they are all members of the Nation of Islam. 

you even got it backawards in your quote .. i know that.. i'm saying NOI isnt militant, FOI _IS_

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 03:23:37 PM »
not NOI but FOI surely?

you even got it backawards in your quote .. i know that.. i'm saying NOI isnt militant, FOI _IS_

You still don't understand, FOI IS NOI[/i]