Author Topic: Anti-Depressants Cited In Suicide  (Read 176 times)

Kal EL

Anti-Depressants Cited In Suicide
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:21:48 AM »
Anti-Depressants Cited In Suicide

Free Market News | November 30 2005

The negative side effects of the anti-depressant prescription medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have been long suspected, and may have contributed to several schoolyard shootings including the Columbine massacre. Now, if a pending court case goes forward, there may even be a link proven to suicide.

A story in Fortune magazine details the case of Tim "Woody" Witczak, whose wife Kimberly is claiming her husband's suicide two years ago was directly caused by the SSRI Zoloft. As the story outlines it, Mr. Witczak had very little reason to take his own life: "Shortly before his death he had been named vice president of sales at a startup that sold energy-efficient lighting." But when "anxiety about the new job" caused insomnia, he was prescribed Zoloft. After a couple of weeks on the medication, he reportedly began suffering from "nightmares, profound agitation, and eerie sensory experiences." According to his wife, at one point he said he felt as if his head were detached from his body, only to calm down shortly thereafter. But within another couple of weeks – about five weeks after his first dose – he hanged himself from the rafters in their garage when Kim was out of town, leaving no suicide note.

Kim is suing Pfizer, maker of the drug, alleging that Zoloft induced the suicide and that the company failed to warn about the drug's potential to cause perilous side effects. Pfizer is of course denying any responsibility for the death, or any connection between it and their medications. The FDA slapped a so-called "black-boz warning" on all SSRIs last year, in the face of repeated stories about children with adverse reactions. As far as Colombine goes, there are additional reports that go well beyond the hypothesis that drugs are responsible for the entire affair. Questions have been raised, but never conclusively answered, about a variety of outside involvement. And these questions linger, much as questions about 9/11 linger.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Anti-Depressants Cited In Suicide
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:29:58 AM »
To be honest, I hate it when people are like "Damn, he didn't have a lot of reason to take his life"
Statements like the above demonstrate plain ignorance at its best. Like other people would know, like other people know how the person felt like.
Just because someone has good stuff on the outside like money, a wife, a job, a house.. doesn't mean SHIT.
Sometimes the relatives etc are just mad that they couldn't make the person who killed him/herself happy. As a sort of self-defence for their failure, they try to find other reasons. Like dissing the person for his/her selfish action. Or dissing the doctor. Or dissing the medicine. Etc.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Kal EL

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:33:57 AM »
while all of your points are valid there has been a PILE of evidence that shows that anit-depressants as well as riddlin(if that is how you spell it) all have a connection with suicide or at least suicidal tendancies.

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »
while all of your points are valid there has been a PILE of evidence that shows that anit-depressants as well as riddlin(if that is how you spell it) all have a connection with suicide or at least suicidal tendancies.

adderall is the shit i love kids with add buy some adderall off of them blow it up my nose and can write a 14 page paper in 5 hours straight.  its so great for studying and doing work and taking finals.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 10:44:19 AM »
The danger of such doctor-drugs is definitely underestimated. I swear there are tons of parents who'd HATE if their kid smokes weed, cause it's a drug and is sooo harmful etc, but at the same time would pump prescription drugs into their kid's bodies like it ain't no tomorrow as long as the doctor said it's aight. Pharmacies/hospitals have way harder drugs that can fuck someone up so damn hard, it's kinda creepy. Cocaine ain't shit compared to some wicked ass pills doctors can get.
No, it's not a sin

Kal EL

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:51:55 AM »
The danger of such doctor-drugs is definitely underestimated. I swear there are tons of parents who'd HATE if their kid smokes weed, cause it's a drug and is sooo harmful etc, but at the same time would pump prescription drugs into their kid's bodies like it ain't no tomorrow as long as the doctor said it's aight. Pharmacies/hospitals have way harder drugs that can fuck someone up so damn hard, it's kinda creepy. Cocaine ain't shit compared to some wicked ass pills doctors can get.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you hit it again. right on the head. but like Chris Rock said "they want us to take their drugs instead."

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 01:23:54 PM »
I was on anti-depressants for a little bit after my mom had brain surgery but I never had any thoughts of suicide. I guess I was lucky. My doc said it would take 17 days for me to start feeling normal, but for 2 weeks, I was having panic attacks and I stayed up for 48 hours at a time so I just stopped taking it. Nothing but trouble with that shit. I have been taking some natural supplements recently, and they work way better than any synthetic drug the doctor gave me.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 01:45:03 PM »
I was on anti-depressants for a little bit after my mom had brain surgery but I never had any thoughts of suicide. I guess I was lucky. My doc said it would take 17 days for me to start feeling normal, but for 2 weeks, I was having panic attacks and I stayed up for 48 hours at a time so I just stopped taking it. Nothing but trouble with that shit. I have been taking some natural supplements recently, and they work way better than any synthetic drug the doctor gave me.

What kind of?
No, it's not a sin

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »
St. John's Wort, Fish Body Oils (omega-3s), and multivitamins. I take those everyday and they seem to work just fine.

Kal EL

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:44:29 PM »
St. John's Wort, Fish Body Oils (omega-3s), and multivitamins. I take those everyday and they seem to work just fine.

^^^^^^
thanks for your openness. God Bless

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 03:55:09 PM »
If you want to know how fucked up these companies really are... research the issue in South Africa with the companies filing a lawsuit because someone was willing to provide cheap/free medication to help people with HIV/AIDS...

A fucking lawsuit against people who are providing cheap medicine that could save peoples' lives? This is greed on a whole 'nother level... disgusting
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 07:36:11 PM »
^WTF???
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 02:27:14 AM »
It's not about helping it's about $. Once somebody else is doing it cheaper they won't make as much $ no more.  >:(
No, it's not a sin

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 01:53:19 PM »
If you want to know how fucked up these companies really are... research the issue in South Africa with the companies filing a lawsuit because someone was willing to provide cheap/free medication to help people with HIV/AIDS...

A fucking lawsuit against people who are providing cheap medicine that could save peoples' lives? This is greed on a whole 'nother level... disgusting

Fuck man...where can I read more about this...

J Bananas

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 02:01:39 PM »
I have some paxil pills from my cuzzin. i dont know if i should take them tho. anyone know what this stuff is like?