Author Topic: Diamond Dallas Page Files Lawsuit Against Jay-Z  (Read 539 times)

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
Diamond Dallas Page Files Lawsuit Against Jay-Z
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:56:35 PM »
Credit: 1Wrestling

Former WWE Superstar Diamond Dallas Page recently filed a federal lawsuit against rapper Jay-Z for trademark infringement. The "Diamond Cutter" hand symbol has been being used by Jay-Z on some of his products some including CD covers entitled "The Dynasty: Rock La Familia 2000" and "Jay-Z Fade To Black" DVD, which was released this past April.

When Dallas Page was in WCW back in 1996, its when he was first using the hand signal. Since that time he has been using it professionally for his wrestling and entertainment ventures. On the cover of Page's new book, "Yoga For Regular Guys" it also features the symbol. The hand symbol is kind of like a logo to him, hence the lawsuit.

http://nodq.com/wwe/135652687.shtml

i dont think he really has much of a case unless he copyrighted that...im not even sure if hez allowed to copyright it or anything, gotta look over my law notez lol.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Sikotic™

Re: Diamond Dallas Page Files Lawsuit Against Jay-Z
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »
DDP must really need money. It didn't bother him for the past 5 years that Jigga was using it. Case will be dismissed based on bullshit accusations.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
DDP must really need money. It didn't bother him for the past 5 years that Jigga was using it. Case will be dismissed based on bullshit accusations.

I can't imagine him needing money, unless he really blew it all (like Flair did). WCW workers really made a boat load, particularly main eventers, and I've always heard that Page was good with money and shit, bit who knows.

As for him winning; stranger things have happened. He could have a case if he shows it hurts his sales or gives him a bad image. Even if it wasn't copywritten you can still prove it belongs to you. Honky Tonk Man the name was owned by Vince and Wayne Ferris fought on the claim that he invented the character and used it before the WWF when he wrestled as Honk Tonk Wayne Ferris, and he won despite the fact that Vince had a legal copywright.

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 05:17:09 PM »
DDP is a fucking twerp.  Does he honestly think, that he's the first human being with two hands that ever held them together like that?  WHAT IN THE FUCK is this guy thinking?

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 05:21:20 PM »
I know the guy has supposedly divorced his wife, not sure if they followed through or not. plus, hospital bills for his back. He could very well be in the same position as Flair. This lawsuit makes no sense unless he needs to make bank. It's not like Jay-Z is unknown and he just discovered him recently.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

coola

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 05:23:08 PM »
It's not like Jay-Z is unknown and he just discovered him recently.

yeah, he's probablky been saving the law-suit for a rainy day...

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »

???
NO MORE WAR

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 05:44:03 PM »
The dudes from Nirvana should sure DDP for using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as his entrance theme.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 06:35:45 PM »
^^ You just hit the nail on the head, homie. I was thinking the same thing. As far as this lawsuit goes, I predict it'll be thrown out too. DDP's had a while to go ahead and do it, i any case it looks like he needs $$$.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure WCW has to pay to use the theme, just like they did for Raven's, and Hollywood Hogan's.

Maybe he doesn't even want money, but rather he wants Jay to stop using the sign in items, ads, and promotions. Like when the WWF (World Wildlife Fund) sued Vince and Vince had to change to WWE.

I bet if you find a history of stupid copyrights and tramemarks lawsuits you'd see some silly things come about. Didn't Spike TV and Spike Lee steele out of court for that lawsuit (I'm not sure).

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 10:00:48 PM »
In WCW Chris Jericho's theme song was a pearl jam song, too.  Jericho, Raven, DDP, and the NWO all had jacked songs, that had been reworked and interpolated so they wouldn't have to pay as much for royalties.  If you play the actual song, you have to pay the songwriter, and the performer... the performer can demand whatever they want.  There's union rules and a pay scale set up for songwriters, though, so if you re-record a song, you can pay the songwriter a predetermined reasonable amount (it's the same price for every song ever written)... so that's why they redid those 4.  The nWo theme song was a pastiche of about 3 Jimi Hendrix songs, the riff is from "Highway Child".

Hogan actually had the original Jimi Hendrix version of Voodoo Chile played when he came out, so they had to pay more cash since the songwriter and the performer (performer's family!) had to be paid... they worked out a deal with Hendrix's estate. 

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:46:15 PM »
then he the Diamond ST X3 Gang cuz thats how they throw it up

WestCoasta

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 12:57:45 AM »
The dudes from Nirvana should sue DDP for using "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as his entrance theme.

:laugh:

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 04:15:02 AM »

if ddp end up winnin his lawsuit... the women of the delta sigma theta sorority...needs 2 sue the shit out of both ...kuz those girls been throwin the diamond up since 1913 up at howard university back in d.c.

n they throw it up way more playa than these 2 clowns..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 07:31:45 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now Page's case isn't so strong (like it ever really was). He could argue that his is different because it's both his own arms, something I wouldn't buy as a judge, but some judges are nuts.