Author Topic: A-Rod decides not to play in World Baseball Classic  (Read 139 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
A-Rod decides not to play in World Baseball Classic
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:13:13 AM »
Is Alex Rodriguez going to play for the Dominican Republic or the United States in the World Baseball Classic? Apparently neither.

Alex Rodriguez
Third Base
New York Yankees

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
162 48 130 124 .421 .321

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told The New York Post for Friday's editions. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

When the commissioner's office and the players' association announced commitments from players last week, Rodriguez's country was left blank. The New York Yankees third baseman, who last month won his second AL MVP award, was born in New York but his parents are Dominican.

"I am proud to be an American citizen and to have a Dominican legacy. My commitment to baseball is secondary to honoring my patriotic duties to my country and my ancestors," Rodriguez told The Post.

"Sports participation should only include the admiration and respect an athlete has for a nation and family. I intend to play baseball only when I am dedicated to both.

"Playing baseball for the New York Yankees allows you to honor and advance the interest of both without division."

Earlier this week, Rodriguez said he was leaning toward playing for the Dominican Republic.

"That seems to be pretty much where I'm leaning," Rodriguez said of the Dominican team during an interview Tuesday on WFAN radio. "I think it's going to be the team I'm going to represent, kind of like what [Mike] Piazza's doing with Italy."

The Post reported that Rodriguez's decision wasn't influenced by the Yankees, even though they already have told one player -- Jorge Posada -- this offseason that he can't play in the Classic.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: A-Rod decides not to play in World Baseball Classic
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:14:36 AM »
This is what pisses me off about Hispanics. They are always crying that they aren't considered as American as everyone else. Then something like this comes up and and they show no loyalty to America.

Listen, A-Rod was born in America, raised in America, lives in America, gets paid millions of dollars in America....yet he still feels allegiance to the Dominican Republic? Fucc him.

Using his reasoning, the US shouldn't even be able to field any teams in the Olympics, because every athlete wouldn't want to "disrespect their heritage" by playing for the US.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:16:50 AM »
good.. we don't need that garbage

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:50:07 AM »
A-Rod is an idiot but you cant blame him he was being pressured by both sides and you're an idiot for generalizing hispanics 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 11:00:35 AM by The Anton and Javi Show: Sabermetric Monstah Javi! »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:00:12 AM »
Mike Piazza is disgrace to AMERICA!  ::)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 12:42:21 PM »
I don't see how he should even be ALLOWED to play for the Dominican Republic.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »
Good...A-Rod doesn't need this shit..dont want him getting hurt :D
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »
This is what pisses me off about Hispanics. They are always crying that they aren't considered as American as everyone else. Then something like this comes up and and they show no loyalty to America.

Listen, A-Rod was born in America, raised in America, lives in America, gets paid millions of dollars in America....yet he still feels allegiance to the Dominican Republic? Fucc him.

Using his reasoning, the US shouldn't even be able to field any teams in the Olympics, because every athlete wouldn't want to "disrespect their heritage" by playing for the US.

that's a fuckin false statement.  you're an idiot for even saying that.  i'm mexican-american and i love America but i also love my Mexican culture so i believe he did the right thing.  You're just a redneck who thinks you are a "true american" and tries to look down upon hispanics, blacks, or whoever.  You call yourself a real american but what the fuck is a real american???  at one point in time your family came to america from england or wherever you're family stems from but don't think you're better than anyone else because you consider yourself a real american.  quit with the racism bullshit and judge A-Rod by his character rather than his race you dumb fuck
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 12:09:48 PM »

that's a fuckin false statement.  you're an idiot for even saying that.  i'm mexican-american and i love America but i also love my Mexican culture so i believe he did the right thing.  You're just a redneck who thinks you are a "true american" and tries to look down upon hispanics, blacks, or whoever.  You call yourself a real american but what the fuck is a real american???  at one point in time your family came to america from england or wherever you're family stems from but don't think you're better than anyone else because you consider yourself a real american.  quit with the racism bullshit and judge A-Rod by his character rather than his race you dumb fuck

If everyone felt like A-Rod then the US could never field a team in international sporting events.

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 12:19:55 PM »
If everybody were Polish, then we wouldn't have this problem because surely nobody would want to admit they were Polish, and nobody would ever want to have any kind of allegiance to Poland... sorry CWalker, but not everybody is a small-dicked Polack like you... some of us aren't ashamed of who we are...
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 12:43:10 PM »
If everybody were Polish, then we wouldn't have this problem because surely nobody would want to admit they were Polish, and nobody would ever want to have any kind of allegiance to Poland... sorry CWalker, but not everybody is a small-dicked Polack like you... some of us aren't ashamed of who we are...

So who should play for team USA?