Author Topic: Something Special on Letterman Friday Night  (Read 203 times)

Trauma-san

Something Special on Letterman Friday Night
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:17:28 AM »
I know most of you probably watch Leno but on the Letterman show Friday night, there's gonna be something great.

Every year, just before Christmas, David Letterman has Darlene Love come on his show. 

The reason for that is that Darlene Love, when she was the lead singer of the Crystals, recorded "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" on Phil Spector's "A Christmas Gift For You" album.

Phil Spector was a genius who invented this recording technique called "The Wall Of Sound" which doesn't do live very well becuase he'd do things like record 3 drummers, 8 guitars, 15 singers, etc.  So usually people don't play his stuff live and make it sound any good.

Well, "A christmas gift for you" is considered the greatest christmas record ever, and every year Darlene Love shows up to sing the song "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" on Letterman... as you know Paul Schafer is a huge audiophile and a hell of a band leader... for the performance every year, he brings in extra musicians and extra back up singers and plays the song the way it was originally recorded with a huge band.  Darlene Love still sounds great, too.

You should check it out, it's something to see. 

Suga Foot

Re: Something Special on Letterman Friday Night
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:11:20 AM »
Fuck Leno, It's Letterman fo liiiiiiiife

Westcoastin'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Revenge is the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 03:13:45 PM »
conan beats 'em both
been rockin' longer than niggas twice my age
back in the days before Bob Marley was rockin' a fade
before Honest Abe signed the paper that freed slaves
before Neanderthals was drawing on walls in caves
I existed, in the garden of Eden gettin' lifted
stickin' dick to Eve before she was Adam's mistress
before Christ created Christmas, I been in lyrical fitness
the Canibus is spittin' til' he's spitless - Canibus

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »
Kimmel shits on all of them fags
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »
conan cockslaps kimmel

ecrazy

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »

Phil Spector was a genius who invented this recording technique called "The Wall Of Sound" which doesn't do live very well becuase he'd do things like record 3 drummers, 8 guitars, 15 singers, etc.  So usually people don't play his stuff live and make it sound any good.

You Can Use Protools and get the same effect now, just for that type of layering and the reverb that it created as well, having everyone in the same room like that. there is a VST called "Wall Of Sound 2" and on the CD it has his mugg, so he might have helped in creating that. He was odd though, he wasnt a fan of Multi-tracking, i guess a jealousy thing or something, thats why he did that whole "Wall of Sound" thing, he did not want to layer anything at the time. Didnt he murder someone or do something to someone? whatever happend to him?

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »
^ You can mimick it with Pro Tools of course but it's so sterile many times you can tell it was done.  Nothing like a room full of live musicians, it adds things a computer program can't.  He didn't have anything to do with programming that, they just put his face on it as a  prop.

Phil Spector's crazy and always has been.  A couple years ago, he went to a club and picked up some woman, and took her back to his house.  He called police shortly after and said "Oh my god, I think I just killed somebody"... the police came over, took him into custody, and there's a woman laying dead on his foyer floor.  He now says that the woman took his gun and committed suicide, which I think is probably bullshit.  He probably shot her himself... he's got a history of doing crazy things in the studio.

Brian Wilson used to idolize him, and worked with him on a song.  Brian sat in on the recording of "Frosty The Snowman" on this christmas album, and then wrote a song for Phil to record... he played Piano on the song, but Phil kicked Brian out of the studio telling him he was a shitty piano player and didn't know how to record, lol.  Phil still released the song as some sort of commercial jingle that brian had wrote.

Later, Phil worked with the Beatles cleaning up their "Let It Be" tapes and making an album out of it.  John Lennon was a big fan of his, so him and Lennon recorded together several times... one time Spector was so upset at something that happened, he pulled out a pistol and shot it inside the mixing room with John Lennon sitting in a chair right next to him.  John famously said "If you're gonna kill me Phil, Kill me, but I need my ears!"

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 07:55:10 AM »
Oh, btw the performance on Letterman was amazing considering Darlene Love's in her 60's now. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 07:57:58 AM »
From his court appearance two years ago:

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 01:53:18 PM »
he looks fukin crazy
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 10:52:48 PM »
Fuck all late nite TV! Watch Sportscenter at Nite!