Author Topic: HAPPY KWANZAA BITCHES!!  (Read 128 times)

Throwback

HAPPY KWANZAA BITCHES!!
« on: December 25, 2005, 02:17:42 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa (sometimes spelled Kwaanza) is a week-long secular Holiday observed from December 26 to January 1 honoring African-American heritage. Kwanzaa is celebrated by a small minority, almost exclusively African-Americans in the United States of America. Kwanzaa consists of seven days of celebration, featuring activities such as candle-lighting and pouring of libations, and culminating in a feast and gift-giving. According to one survey, Kwanzaa is celebrated by 1.6% of all Americans[1].

Kwanzaa was first founded by black nationalist Ron Karenga, and first celebrated from December 26, 1966 to January 1st 1967. Karenga calls Kwanzaa the African American branch of "first fruits" celebrations of classical African cultures. Karenga has since further developed his vision and hosts the "Official Kwanzaa Web Site"

Orgins

Kwanzaa was created by political activist Ron Karenga in California in 1966, during his leadership of the black nationalist United Slaves Organization (also known as the "Us Organization").

Kwanzaa was originally intended to be an African-American alternative to Christmas. Karenga stated

"...it was chosen to give a Black alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society." p. 21 Kwanzaa: origin, concepts, practice[2]

In 1997, Karenga moderated his stance, stating that Kwanzaa is an African-American holiday, but can be celebrated by people of any race.

"...other people can and do celebrate it, just like other people participate in Cinco de Mayo besides Mexicans; Chinese New Year besides Chinese; Native American pow wows besides Native Americans." p. 110, Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community and Culture[3]

Principles of Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa is a holiday celebrating "The Seven Principles of Blackness", or Nguzo (originally, Nguzu) Saba that was invented by former Black Panther Ron Karenga; these are principles which comprise Karenga's doctrine of Kawaida, a Swahili term for tradition and reason. Karenga chose Swahili, an East African language, to celebrate African American ties to Africa but a majority of African Americans are descended from West African peoples [4]. Kwanzaa is an adjunct of Kawaida. Karenga called on African-Americans to adopt his secular humanism and reject other practices as mythical (Karenga 1977, pp. 14, 23, 24, 27, 44-5). Each of the seven days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the following principles. In order, they are:

* Umoja (Unity)
    * Kujichagulia (Self-determination)
    * Ujima (Collective work and responsibility)
    * Ujamaa (Cooperative economics)
    * Nia (Purpose)
    * Kuumba (Creativity)
    * Imani (Faith)

Observance

Families celebrating Kwanzaa decorate their households with objects of art, colorful African cloth, especially the wearing of the Uwole by women, and fresh fruits that represent African idealism. It is customary to include children in Kwanzaa ceremonies and to give respect and gratitude to ancestors. Often alcoholic beverages are poured to the ground as libations, an ancient custom that has survived in the African-American community to this day.

At first, observers of Kwanzaa eschewed the mixing of the holiday or its symbols, values and practice with other holidays. They felt that doing so would violate the principle of kujichagulia (self-determination) and thus violate the integrity of the holiday, which is partially intended as a reclamation of important African values. Today, many African-American families celebrate Kwanzaa along with Christmas and New Year's. Frequently, both Christmas trees and kinaras, the traditional candle holder symbolic of African-American roots, share space in kwanzaa celebrating households. To them, Kwanzaa is an opportunity to incorporate elements of their particular ethnic heritage into holiday observances and celebrations of Christmas.

Etymology

The name Kwanzaa derives from the Swahili phrase "matunda ya kwanza", meaning "first fruits". The additional "a" was added to "Kwanza" so that the word would have seven letters, for two reasons. At the time there were seven children in Karenga's United Slaves Organization, each wanted one of the letters in Kwanzaa[5]. The name was also meant to have a letter for each of the Seven Principles of Blackness. Kwanzaa is also sometimes spelled kwaanza, which also has seven letters.

Sikotic™

Re: HAPPY KWANZAA BITCHES!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 02:21:23 PM »
I think I need to take up this holiday. It'll get me more time off n shit.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »
Kwanzaa!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 12:44:21 AM »
LMAO

"it was chosen to give a Black alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society"

yeah let's be alternative to the "dominant" race by giving presents and lighting candles...LMAO

just rename it Chistmanaka...

lol it's like those virgin mobile comercials

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

K A I N

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:52:48 AM »
African Americans are lame  :P

Crown

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 05:13:04 PM »
Your gerbil-packing momma is lame Bitch!
WE DON'T TALK TO POLICE!

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »
I'm guessing that you're African American.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 05:56:11 PM »
I'm guessing that you're African American.

I get the same vibe

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »

Crown

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 12:24:51 AM »

Hell yeah Im Black from the same "lame" ass race as the motherfuckas that make most of the music in your record collection. so stick a  jay bannana in your loose ass faggot!
WE DON'T TALK TO POLICE!

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:55:37 AM »
hempside's got some competition.

THA SAUCE HOUSE